Thread: Mike Wells blog on today's Vogel announcement (see post #9's Shaw video)

Threaded View

Default Mike Wells blog on today's Vogel announcement (see post #9's Shaw video)

Thought there were some nice bits in here:

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...medium=twitter
    Mike Wells
    IndyStar.com

THE FIELDHOUSE – Three of the pieces are in place, now all Frank Vogel has to do is find his final assistant to complete his coaching staff.

Vogel was introduced as coach of the Pacers on Wednesday during a press conference that didn’t reveal a lot since team officials are not permitted to talk about players due to the current NBA lockout.

Vogel and Larry Bird both said they hope to be able to announce the rest of the coaching staff next week. Brian Shaw will be the associate head coach and long time assistant Dan Burke will be on Vogel’s staff.

Vogel interviewed former University of Utah coach and NBA assistant Jim Boylen for the final assistant job earlier this week.

Vogel would have been named coach weeks ago but Bird was adamant that he wouldn’t hire him before he found a quality lead assistant.

“My thing with the number one assistant is that he has to have experience, he has to be around players he had problems with and how he dealt with them,” Bird said. “(Vogel) interviewed some good ones.”

I’ve talked to number of people about Shaw and they’ve all said positive things about him.

Shaw was an assistant on Lakers teams that had the Kobe-Shaq feud, Lamar Odom and Ron Artest.

The Pacers locker room, which had its fair share of issues last season, shouldn’t be a problem for Shaw.

“Frank is a better coach than I ever thought about being, but we can’t have those locker room issues again and we won’t,” Bird told Bob Kravitz. “That’s not the head coach’s job. That’s the assistants. Those are fires they’ve got to put out right away. Communication is a must – with some players, daily. If they sense a player is down or isn’t doing what he needs to do, it’s the assistants’ job to address it, and if it continues, then take it to the head coach. Assistants have to take a lot of tough stances. So you have to have a staff that all the players respect.”

Two question:

1. Do you like that Bird hired Vogel or do you think they should have went with a more experienced coach?
    2. What do you think of Shaw as associate head coach?

twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA
    I'm thrilled that Shaw is going to be the associate head coach. From everything I've read, he should function very nicely as the guy in charge of keeping out potential locker room fires, that sort of thing. Having the guy "everyone" thought was going to be the next head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers as your associate head coach is a big, big win IMO.

I like what I've heard so far about Jim Boylen as well. If he's the other guy to go with Shaw and Burke, that's a very nice, compact staff to go along with Frank, who I obviously have come to like a lot as well. I'm pretty damned happy with this staff at this point, overall.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: