Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was fan of...

Default I was fan of...

I've said it before: i am from Colombia. I learn to love basketball with videos and videogames in the beginning of the nineties, because we didn`t have nba games in the TV.

Specifically, i LOVE Chris Mullin in NBA Live 94 for SNES. I was fan of Mullin, his shooting and his game IQ, and when he came to the Pacers i become a Pacer's fan (then i loved D.Davis, M. Jackson and of course Reggie)

Anyway, my question is, besides Pacer's players, what player made you love basketball?
    Last edited by ensergio; 07-05-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I was fan of...

NBA Live 94 was technically called "NBA showdown 94," and it came out on the SNES.

EA's NBA title next year was called "NBA live '95," and the name was so catchy they decided to stick with it.

Aside from the fact there was no Jordan, Barkley or Shaq in the game, it was a pretty good one.

To answer your question, my first favorite player, and the only poster I had on my wall as a kid, was Clyde Drexler. In retrospect, my favorite thing about him was probably that his name wasn't Michael Jordan.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-05-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EA's NBA title next year was called "NBA live '95," and the name was so catchy they decided to stick with it.

Aside from the fact there was no Jordan, Barkley or Shaq in the game, it was a pretty good one.
    Played the hell out of that on SNES.

I remember Latrell Sprewell being slightly better than Jesus in that game.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Pretty prophetic, since he was the all-NBA 1st team shooting guard that year. He never came closer to that level ever again.

Drexler and Dominique Wilkins. They were the first good basketball cards I had and I guess I just followed everything they did after that. Then I got swept up in the whole Dream Team thing.

Sue Bird 2001. I was always more into "girly" sports like gymnastics, sat down and watched a Uconn Women's game with my grandparents and father. I actually think I originally started liking her because my father wasn't crazy about her. He preferred Taurasi.

Manu Ginobili got me into men's basketball though. (I watched the Uconn Men before, liked it because it was basketball, but didn't really care that much. I actually wish I had, I probably would have enjoyed the dual championships more.)
    Last edited by Sookie; 07-05-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    NBA Live 94 was technically called "NBA showdown 94," and it came out on the SNES.

To answer your question, my first favorite player, and the only poster I had on my wall as a kid, was Clyde Drexler. In retrospect, my favorite thing about him was probably that his name wasn't Michael Jordan.
    Thanks for the correction. You're right, it was SNES. However, i remember it as NBA Live. Sure i am wrong.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

nba live 95 is probably one one of the best games i ever played so much fun i really used to like rod strickland, reggie miller, shawne kemp, patrick ewing, hakeem olajuwan and chris webber they got me watching basketball

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

I grew up in Carmel and went trick-or-treating at Dale Davis and Detlef Schrempf's houses, so it's hard for me to pick non-Pacer players. My favorite non-Pacer NBA player was always Barkley. I loved everything from his physique to his seemingly inexplicable statistics to his ridiculous mouth.

I was probably a bigger Purdue fan as a kid than I was a Pacer's fan though. The names that really stick out to me as guys I loved were Troy Lewis, Everette Stevens, and Steve Scheffler. I'm really excited that Stevens has a son coming to Purdue soon. I'll also always remember watching Cuonzo Martin shut down Shawn Respert in some uber-important Purdue v. MSU game. Respert was jacking up shots from 5-6 feet behind the 3 point line because it was the only way he could get shots off against Martin. Tennessee is now my 2nd favorite college basketball team.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Overall - the love for basketball is coded in our (lithuanian) genes And of course, our national hero - Sabonis.
    Talking seriously about NBA - Regie. I know that you asked to select non-pacer player, but please allow me to do so as i'd like to write about my first NBA love
    I was a kid (17 years) from a village and i didn't know NBA at all. When i came to study in Kaunas (capital of basketball), friends usually took to watch NBA playoffs (some beer and the games starting at 2am). At the time we were watching battles of utah jazz, bulls and pacers. And i remember that game when injured Miller (leg) defeated Jordan, that shot with a couple of seconds left over Jordan. Since then i started more/less to follow pacers and NBA, but... no games made such the impression for me again, although now NBA is way better than at that time.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DeS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

One of the best video game athletes of all time

To answer OP, I was always a small kid, so I got a kick out of watching Mugsy and Spud.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

favorite non-pacer player would definately be Shaq for me. I followed him as much as I could, even though I cheered for the Pacers. I always enjoyed watching Shaq dominate everyone he went up against. I really soured on him when he left for the Lakers, even though that's where he won his first championships I always thought how awful it would be to be a fan of someone like that on your home team and then them leaving your team and joining another team and winning championships. That whole situation gave me a whole other level of respect for Reggie Miller, as a kid if Reggie had ever left us to go to some other team I don't think I could have stood to watch basketball for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey85 View Post
    One of the best video game athletes of all time

To answer OP, I was always a small kid, so I got a kick out of watching Mugsy and Spud.
    Right up there with Bo Jackson in Techmo Bowl

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    Right up there with Bo Jackson in Techmo Bowl
    Jeremy Roenick in NHL 94 was my all time favorite.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikey85 For This Useful Post:

I can't choose one, and I have a feeling my list will be different from most.

A.J. Guyton
    Luke Recker
    Andrae Patterson
    Kirk Haston
    Dane Fife
    Kyle Hornsby
    Larry Richardson
    Lynn Washington
    Antwan Randle El

Sadly only Randle El made it as a pro. Guyton and Fife will always be two of my favorite players ever. In my young mind at the time Richardson and Washington were kind of like IU's version of Dale and Antonio.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Wes Bialosuknia.

Back 'in the day' we never got college games on TV, but I remember listening to the radio broadcasts and this guy just lighting everyone up. Never did see him play - ever - but he got me hooked on hoops.

Jermaine O'Neal

Mood

I remember that for some reason, if your player's strength rating was below a certain number, you could basically get away with pushing much larger players out of bounds. I knew this because one time I played an entire game as Travis Best and mashed the intentional foul button the whole game without ever getting called. Good times

I do remember being fans of Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond back in those days (probably because they were so similar to Reggie. In NBA Live back in the day, these three would basically never miss threes).

Clyde the Glide Drexler!

This one is easy for me. David Robinson and Dennis Rodman in their time together on the spurs. They were about polar opposites, but I loved them both.

I am from Indianapolis, but when I was pretty young my family moved to the boondocks of Southern Indiana and we didn't get many Pacer Games on tv. So I would religiously watch the NBA games on tnt, tbs, and of course the NBA on NBC in its heyday. During that time the Spurs/Rockets rivalry was in full swing and those were common nationally televised games (seeing as the bulls were in a lull of sorts w/o Jordan). This was a little before the Pacers garnered much national acclaim.

After a couple short years we moved back up to Indianapolis. I (my parents don't really follow sports) found out there was an NBA team from 15 minutes down the street and I was hooked. The rest is history.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

John Stockton.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ensergio View Post
    I've said it before: i am from Colombia. I learn to love basketball with videos and videogames in the beginning of the nineties, because we didn`t have nba games in the TV.

Specifically, i LOVE Chris Mullin in NBA Live 94 for SNES. I was fan of Mullin, his shooting and his game IQ, and when he came to the Pacers i become a Pacer's fan (then i loved D.Davis, M. Jackson and of course Reggie)

Anyway, my question is, besides Pacer's players, what player made you love basketball?
    Larry Bird made me love basketball.

Mood

I grew up a Pacers fan and ONLY a Pacers fan.

Larry Bird is really pretty much the only non-Pacer I would consider myself a "fan" of.

(And in terms of old NBA games, nothing still brings more enjoyment outta me than NBA Hangtime on the N64. Still say it's better than ANY NBA Jam.)

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't know you could like anyone who didn't play for the Pacers until Tim Duncan came along. Until the Spurs beat the Nets in the Finals, I never even considered liking another team, or another team's players. But by that point, Reggie and Mark Jackson had made me a lifelong Pacers fan.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Growing up in Chicago I always hated all the Bulls players, but now I look back on them fondly. Scottie Pippen was always the one who I admitted I did like.

I was also a huge Juwan Howard fan.

(PS, ensergio, Colombia pa' encima parcero!)