Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If they were a package deal...

Default If they were a package deal...

... what kinds of players (quality-wise, name names) do you think we could get for Granger and Hibbert in a single trade? Specifically in a 2 for 1 trade?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If they were a package deal...

If Orlando knew Dwight wasn't willing to play for Orlando (like Utah with D-will)in the future maybe him. Again we would have to gamble Dwight would play here and i highly doubt he would so i doubt that trade could happen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Hoopshype has Hibbert and Granger's combined salaries at about $14.5 million.

The chart on the left here has the top 30 salaries (don't know if they're from this year or last). Bynum, picks and cash maybe?

If we include those "my franchise FA isn't taking an extension, I'm in panic mode" deal, I think we can get everyone. Certainly as good as what the Knicks gave to Denver. But we aren't taking a risk on any of those, so...

In terms of "fair" deals... Lets see, which teams have a below average center and need an offense-first SF?

Boston won't give Rondo.
    Atlanta would give Josh Smith, but I would only do it for Al Horford - won't happen.
    Miami and Chris Bosh? Maybe if it gets bad, but I wouldn't do it if I were them.
    Phillie would give Iguodala and change I suppose.
    Monta? Probably.
    Lakers wouldn't give Bynum.
    Cleveland, Charlotte, Houston, Toronto, Detroit would be interested I guess, but I don't really see a 2 for 1 deal that works here.

That combo could land us a franchise player in the right circumstance.

I'd hope we could more than a Bynum or Iggy for that trade. We don't want Bynum. He already looks like a post knee injury JO in terms of problems.

I think the answer is no one you would want.

You could probably get Pau Gasol or Al Jefferson, or any one of the Granger level guys with huge contracts (Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, etc.).

The absolute best you could hope for would be Chris Paul or Dwight Howard if they force a trade and are willing to come to Indy.

You might be able to pry Kevin Love away from Minnesota with that offer.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bynum, picks and cash maybe?
    If that sad mess is the best we could hope to get out of Granger and Hibbert, I hope Bird stops taking calls from other GMs completely.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Unfortunately, this will sound crazy due to how prone to injury both players are, but if we got Greg Oden and Brandon Roy from Portland, we'd have our go-to scoring shooting guard with crunchtime fever. Yeh, we've got the position mostly filled now with George Hill, and it wouldn't really be worth losing two of our "franchise players" for two oft-injured benchriders with massive amounts of potential.

Also, it will never, EVER happen, but if it took Granger and Hibbert to make it happen, I'd bring Kevin Durant to Indy, pay him like a monarch, and keep him forever.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    If that sad mess is the best we could hope to get out of Granger and Hibbert, I hope Bird stops taking calls from other GMs completely.
    I was just looking for a straight 2 for 1 because that's what he asked about and that's all I could find in the same salary range but I agree, it's not all that appetizing an offer.

Rudy Gay
    Josh Smith (plus maybe an ATL pick)
    Kevin Love

and then of the elite but *possible* options:

Dwight Howard and Chris Paul

With Paul we'd likely have to include DC as well. But thats OK with me. I'd offer these two for Dwight for sure though and the Magic would have to seriously consider it. (although both of these deals they'd want PG first)
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

I think the only semi-realistic one worth considering would be Kevin Love.

We couldn't get Lebron, Wade, Durant, Westbrook, Griffin, Melo, Deron, or D-Rose. Dwight and CP3 wouldn't sign here. I wouldn't do it for players like Josh Smith, Iggy, Monta, Bosh, Bynum, etc.

Love's 22 and looks to be a fairly dominant big man for the next 8-10 years. Probably wouldn't have much of a problem re-signing him either.

I don't know if Minny would do it though. Derrick Williams and Beasley are both sort of 3s and Wes Johnson is a 2/3. Not tons of need for Danny, though they could use Roy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post

We couldn't get Lebron, Wade, Durant, Westbrook, Griffin, Melo, Deron, or D-Rose. Dwight and CP3 wouldn't sign here. I wouldn't do it for players like Josh Smith, Iggy, Monta, Bosh, Bynum, etc.

Love's 22 and looks to be a fairly dominant big man for the next 8-10 years. Probably wouldn't have much of a problem re-signing him either.

I don't know if Minny would do it though. Derrick Williams and Beasley are both sort of 3s and Wes Johnson is a 2/3. Not tons of need for Danny, though they could use Roy.
    I wouldn't do it for Love or nearly anyone outside stars. It would be like Minney for him he would put up #s on a bad team. I only want Love to pair with Hibbert.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-05-2011 at 02:49 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I would think we'd want a big coming back to us & the first name that popped into my head was LaMarcus Aldridge.

Sports Logo

At the very least.....IMHO...such an offer could be considered one of the top offers that any Team can get if they really wanted to move a true Franchise Level Player. I'm not saying this because I'm being a homer when it comes to both being Pacers....it's more that you're looking at 2 Players with good trade value. Keep in mind that Granger and Hibbert are 2 Starting Quality Players at their respective positions...where Granger is a top 10 SF in the league and Hibbert is a solid quality Starting Center that could still get better ( or at worst stay the same ).

I'm not saying that they can net a CP3 or Dwight outright...I'm saying that if either were ever on the trading block and Teams were looking for offers....I think that an offer of Granger + Hibbert would be considered a very good offer that their Teams could get.

But to be realistic....when it comes to Teams looking to move a CP3 or Dwight Franchise Level Player....they are looking to rebuild...not retool ( like what the Nuggets did ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    Rudy Gay
    Josh Smith (plus maybe an ATL pick)
    Kevin Love
    Sorry, but if the Pacers offered BOTH Granger and Hibbert and the best that they can get for both in a single trade is Rudy Gay, Josh Smith or Kevin Love....then the FO should be fired or Granger and Hibbert's value is much lower then I suspected.

All 3 are borderline All-Star Level Players that are on the same par IMHO with a Player like Granger. Adding Hibbert to the mix is overpaying by a mile.

The only Player that I'd even remotely consider sending both is Kevin Love....and I wouldn't even consider that a real option unless we were getting back something slightly more then Kevin Love.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Good deals have been done in the past giving a lot less than that (See the Pau Gasol trade) the Lakers stole that one. By the time they did it Marc wasn't even in the NBA.

The problem with us ever trading for a certain superstar player is losing our assets in the first place. Because if we lose our talent than we put each star in a situation he was trying to get out of in the first place: A no talent team in the rebuilding stage.

I don't buy for one second that CP3 or Howard would refuse to sign here. That's just ridiculous unless you have some inside information that they prefer a particular destination.

Now what would make both players bolt the second they hit free agency is if we had to trade our most talented guys in the first place. I truly believe Howard and CP3 would love to play for our teams as is. But they probably don't want to play for the Pacers if their only side kicks are George squared.

It's one of the reasons why I almost feel like it wouldn't be worth it to trade Roy and Granger for Dwight in the first place. Should a GM do it? Of course, you have to just because if you have a chance to get a superstar you do it- but I'd almost for see Howard coming to us, the team playing terribly, and then him bolting the following summer. - Again, if Howard was available as FA with our current team intact, I don't think he would have a problem at all signing with us, no matter how many times Stern tries to convince us superstars need larger local markets.(Hint: Stars don't need local markets, they're too big anyways, they'll be on TV no matter where they play)

Free agency I think is the best chance for us to land someone like CP3 or Howard.

Edit- On the terms of trading Roy and Granger then, the best thing that I would look for is probably young talented big men with huge upside and expiring contracts to make it work. That could be an honest attempt to improve our team with out ruining the teams chances in the future. For instance maybe if the Pacers did a trade of Granger and Roy for Cousins, Bismack, and an expiring contract. Or maybe you could do Thornton, Bismack (if you wanted to avoid Cousins) and an expiring... Those are just off the wall ideas, without actually studying to see if such a deal was possible btw.
    Last edited by mattie; 07-05-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Did I miss Kings acquiring Bismack?

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    Did I miss Kings acquiring Bismack?
    I thought they drafted him.

Edit- I'm an idiot, he was traded to the Bobcats.

Point doesn't change though, it wasn't the particular players that was important.. I was trying to argue trading for young talent on rookie contracts might be a better route than trading our assets now for someone who will bolt because a lack of talent.
    Last edited by mattie; 07-05-2011 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Hoopshype has Hibbert and Granger's combined salaries at about $14.5 million.

The chart on the left here has the top 30 salaries (don't know if they're from this year or last). Bynum, picks and cash maybe?
    Those are current salaries. I was so happy when they updated for the new fiscal year and all that **** on our financial roster was finally, mercifully gone.

I can't come up with anything better than Jose's suggestion of Aldridge. Obviously you'd prefer a true 5 like Dwight, and in a vacuum that package would work to get a disgruntled star like him. The problem would be keeping him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

This package won't get us anything. Granger is a 2nd tier guy and Roy doesn't have enough value to turn a 2nd tier guy into a superstar... which means, we're going to get a 2nd tier and something else. If we add future first round picks then it could land us CP3/Howard.

But if you are Blazers, it makes 0 sense for you to trade Aldridge for Danny and Hibbert.
    Edit - in reply to the Aldridge posts.

I've never been a big DG fan and I'm kinda lukewarm on Hibbs. But
    that said, I wouldn't even consider trading them as a package for
    just Kevin Love.

Where Dwight Howard is concerned, I'd happily trade any combo
    of 2 Pacers players required to make the deal happen.

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    Unfortunately, this will sound crazy due to how prone to injury both players are, but if we got Greg Oden and Brandon Roy from Portland, we'd have our go-to scoring shooting guard with crunchtime fever. Yeh, we've got the position mostly filled now with George Hill, and it wouldn't really be worth losing two of our "franchise players" for two oft-injured benchriders with massive amounts of potential.
    The question I was thinking about was if we would trade a 2nd round pick for Brandon Roy if Portland offered us the deal. There are rumors he could be a casualty of the amnesty clause.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post

Except Minny likes Danny, and Danny is significantly better than all those guys right now (I don't want to hear it, Beasley fans, you are wrong.) Danny is the consolation prize for losing your best player, Hibbert fills the big man hole.

This is one of those deals I would be more apt to consider once we have a better feel for how a guy like Paul George (and to a far lesser extent, Lance) is developing. If George starts to make the offensive strides people think he's capable of, a deal like this could be palatable.

That said, I feel like deals where teams swap their best players are really rare, I just don't see something like this happening... but who knows, it's Kahn.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports