Thread: Robert Mathis reportedly prepared to hold out once there's a settlement

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Robert Mathis reportedly prepared to hold out once there's a settlement

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...s-a-settlement

Robert Mathis, a three-time Pro Bowl defensive end, on Sunday denied a report that said he will not report to the Indianapolis Colts unless he receives a new contract when a labor settlement is reached.

Mathis, via his Twitter account, says he will be on the field when the NFL owners' lockout of the players ends.
    Playing opposite Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis has 60 sacks the past six seasons. (AP Photo)

“I have every intention on doing my job once the NFL gives us our job back. I [have] never been a locker room cancer & won't start now," Mathis tweeted. In a later post, Mathis added: "I take pride in being a leader. There's a time & place for all things and [the] contract will take care of itself."

Mathis is due to make $2.41 million in the last year of his contract. An unnamed source close to the situation told Sports Xchange: "He'll never play another snap there under that (existing) contract."

Mathis, 30, has played all eight of his NFL seasons for the Colts after being selected in the 2003 draft (fifth round) out of Alabama A&M. Playing opposite Dwight Freeney, Mathis has 60 sacks the past six seasons.

Five-time Pro Bowl receiver Reggie Wayne is also entering the final year of his contract ($5.95 million this season) with the Colts. Mathis referenced Wayne and quarterback Peyton Manning as more pressing concerns for the Colts' front office.

"Haven’t thought of scheming up a #PayMePlan yet for 3 reasons. (1)18 [Manning] is up (2) 87 [Wayne] needs his (3)free agents will b addressed b4 me,” Mathis tweeted.

In a subsequent tweet, Mathis said: "I'm no dummy in Business 101 so why stir the pot knowing there's minimal interest in re-signing me [right] now despite how I feel?"
    Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1R8CHPsey

Default Re: Robert Mathis reportedly prepared to hold out once there's a settlement

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Robert Mathis reportedly prepared to hold out once there's a settlement
    Quote Originally Posted by the article .....
    Robert Mathis, a three-time Pro Bowl defensive end, on Sunday denied a report that said he will not report to the Indianapolis Colts unless he receives a new contract when a labor settlement is reached.
    Quote Originally Posted by the article .....
    An unnamed source close to the situation told Sports Xchange: "He'll never play another snap there under that (existing) contract."
    Did I miss something here ?? Seems like some 'source' (the guy that knows the friend of the Mom of the guy that waters the plants at the complex) comes up with something and all of a sudden it's Mathis saying it ??

Maybe a different title for the thread would be appropriate.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Robert Mathis reportedly prepared to hold out once there's a settlement

Its a non-story he went on Twitter to refute the report yesterday but for some reason people are ignoring that one

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Mathis nixes holdout report, has no plans of being a 'cancer'NFL.com
    Published: July 4, 2011 at 09:31 a.m. Updated: July 4, 2011 at 09:44 a.m. Liked: 0 | Comments: 1 Email Like
    Print Read Discuss Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email By NFL.com More Columns > Colts veteran defensive end Robert Mathis downplayed a report on Sunday suggesting that he won't play for Indianapolis again under his existing contract.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
    Sports XChange stated that Mathis "has no intention of reporting" to the team until his contract situation is addressed.

A source close to the eight-year veteran told the site: "He'll never play another snap there under that (existing) contract."

Mathis took to Twitter on Sunday in response, saying he is "overpaid already," and adding that teammate Dwight Freeney "takes all the blockers."

"I have every intention (of) doing my job once the NFL gives us our job back," Mathis tweeted. "I never been a locker room cancer & wont start now."

Wrote Mathis: "im no dummy in #Business101 so why stir the pot knowing there's minimal interest in re-signing me rite now despite how I feel ... i take pride in being a leader. ... There's a time & place for all things and contract will take care of itself in route 2SuperBowl"

The veteran defender has netted $27 million of the $30 million extension he signed in 2006, according to the site. Mathis is set to make $2.41 million in 2011 after racking up 11 sacks and 60 tackles last season.

Mathis has been a mainstay for the Colts since joining the team in 2003, pairing up with Freeney to form one of the league's most imposing defensive duos. Mathis has 74 career sacks, with 32 over the past three seasons. Freeney has 34 over that span of time.

The Colts drafted Mathis in the fifth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of Alabama A&M.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Its a non-story he went on Twitter to refute the report yesterday but for some reason people are ignoring that one

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines
    ya because what an athlete puts on twitter is always believable

I don't blame Mathis he is 30 he doesn't have much time left he is worth more than 2 million dollars next season. If he holds out the Colts will probably pay him so it might be smart.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And we should trust unnamed sources?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

ya because what an athlete puts on twitter is always believable

I don't blame Mathis he is 30 he doesn't have much time left he is worth more than 2 million dollars next season. If he holds out the Colts will probably pay him so it might be smart.

Well in this case yes I believe him want to know why? Because the same story was there last season and he played the whole season(given the body count last year that was amazing) that and Polian doesn't do deals for those who holdout there's no point in doing so he knows that.

I don't doubt Mathis wants his $$$ and he knows it but he's not an idiot either which is clearly where you stand if you believe unnamed sources over what Mathis has actually stated.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

"I have every intention on doing my job once the NFL gives us our job back. I never been a locker room cancer &wont start now. #GoColtsDammit"

That's all I needed to read. Posted Jul 3 http://twitter.com/#!/RobertMathis98

I have little doubt that Mathis wants his money but he's always been a great guy in Indianapolis and has always been nothing short of a professional.

I believe firmly he'll do his job while still asking for his money. I don't think for a second that he'll hold out and just not play.

That just doesn't seem like the kind of guy Robert Mathis has been during his time here.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I have little doubt that Mathis wants his money but he's always been a great guy in Indianapolis and has always been nothing short of a professional.

I believe firmly he'll do his job while still asking for his money. I don't think for a second that he'll hold out and just not play.

That just doesn't seem like the kind of guy Robert Mathis has been during his time here.
    Well i said the same thing about my favorite Bear Lance Briggs but he did holdout. I'm not saying Mathis wont play but if I was him I would like to get paid i mean at 30 you only have a few good seasons left.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well i said the same thing about my favorite Bear Lance Briggs but he did holdout. I'm not saying Mathis wont play but if I was him I would like to get paid i mean at 30 you only have a few good seasons left.
    And they've already paid him $30 million...guess he'll have to get his whopper without cheese from now on if he's only gonna get 2.4 million this season.

Maybe that's how the Bears handle things but the Colts are much more team oriented and focused on winning to do something petty like holdout.

Mathis has already been paid. He signed a six year $30 million contract back in 2006.

Hard to believe that him and Freeney are kind of old now.