Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back up center position

Default Back up center position

I see alot of threads on players who are back up centers, and i see alot of people poo pooing all over these players. So lets make an all in one back up center thread.

Pacers certainly need a back up center.
    What is the main criteria for a back up center?

Just be tall and willing to move, and play hard, protect the paint with solid fouls.

So then why is every one poo pooing guys like Aaron Gray, or Krylo Fesenko, Alex Ajinca?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Default Re: Back up center position

Stanko

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigAndy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So then why is every one poo pooing guys like Aaron Gray, or Krylo Fesenko, Alex Ajinca?
    I guess the question of who we get as a backup Center is based off of 2 things:

1 ) Are we going to get a Starting PF that can play some backup Center minutes?

2 ) Is there any intention to bring over Stanko anytime between now and the 2012-2013 season?

To me...both of those factors determine what we do with the Backup Center position.

If the answer to both those questions is YES, then I want to get a Stop-Gap Backup Center that can fill the "void" until Stanko comes over to fill that role for us. To me, Stanko is the Backup Center that I am looking for.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't see why everyone is so dead set on a backup center. I think we need a starting center. If we had a good starting center, Roy Hibbert would be the best backup center in the league. That team would win alot of games. I think this might be Bird's plan also. He said he wanted the best bench in the league. That would be a good place to start.
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good luck with that. Who do you have in mind? I don't think we are going to get someone better than Roy very easily.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

I'd say we should

1. keep Foster and mcbob
    2. go for stanko and
    3. wait until next year to sign a big name free agent
    Thank you Jeff.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

Agreed. We are not going to suddenly become a complete team with no holes in one offseason. We should do our best, and only make smart moves. I would rather take it slow and steady.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    I'd say we should

1. keep Foster and mcbob
    2. go for stanko and
    3. wait until next year to sign a big name free agent
    People are talking about next years Free Agent class like it is a god send. What pray tell are the Pacers realistically going to go after in 2012 thats so much better than the crop of Bigs in 2011?

And no, we can't get Dwight. Try again.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A.B.Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Good luck with that. Who do you have in mind? I don't think we are going to get someone better than Roy very easily.
    Exactly.

I do not understand why people are so quick to just give up on Roy. He is a talented player who works hard. He is only what like 24 years old? Big men take a while to develop.

Roy has his flaws and no he won't be perfect but he will get better. He is a legit starting center. Those are VERY hard to find in the NBA today.

I think some need to start to appreciate Roy for what brings and not what he doesn't. He has some things he needs to improve on but a little patience would go a long way.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    People are talking about next years Free Agent class like it is a god send. What pray tell are the Pacers realistically going to go after in 2012 thats so much better than the crop of Bigs in 2011?

And no, we can't get Dwight. Try again.
    Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand and Chris Kaman are the 3 best bigs in next summers free agent class. Brand and Kaman both have a history of injuries and both will demand upwards of $10 mil+ per season. Garnett is starting to break down and wouldn't come here if he was held at gunpoint. I'd rather go after this summer's free agents if I had to. I'd still prefer to use our cap room with smart trades though.
    Grown Man Ball

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    I don't see why everyone is so dead set on a backup center. I think we need a starting center. If we had a good starting center, Roy Hibbert would be the best backup center in the league. That team would win alot of games. I think this might be Bird's plan also. He said he wanted the best bench in the league. That would be a good place to start.
    You think that Bird intends to push Hibbert back to play in the 2nd unit?

Why not apply this logic to the rest of our current Starting lineup?

Sorry, but despite having some reservations about Hibbert after the ASB and his performance in the Playoffs....I just don't think that the Pacers would be best served to put Hibbert in the 2nd unit while looking for another Starting Quality Center.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand and Chris Kaman are the 3 best bigs in next summers free agent class. Brand and Kaman both have a history of injuries and both will demand upwards of $10 mil+ per season. Garnett is starting to break down and wouldn't come here if he was held at gunpoint.
    EXACTLY

People keep saying "wait till next year" because they heard on ESPN that next years class is better. But for the Pacers that's simply not true.

We'd sit on our money, then have to extend the players we already have (including G3) and be completely stuck with less options, less money and one less year of progress with whatever player we'd snag now because of it.

Next thing you know we are throwing Boris Diaw some 9 million dollar per season GIFT.

Yeah, uhh... I'll pass.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Sports Logo

Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand and Chris Kaman are the 3 best bigs in next summers free agent class. Brand and Kaman both have a history of injuries and both will demand upwards of $10 mil+ per season. Garnett is starting to break down and wouldn't come here if he was held at gunpoint. I'd rather go after this summer's free agents if I had to. I'd still prefer to use our cap room with smart trades though.
    Brand has a ETO on his contract...he won't give that up.

I think that we will outright sign either a Starting SG, PF or a Backup Center ( whether it be Foster or not )....but I agree with you that I think that Bird will use the Capspace in trades where the Team absorbs another Team's contract.

I keep forgetting how frustrated I used to get with Smits before he really blossomed. We have to be patient with Roy. We can't give up on him just because he hasn't 'arrived' in 2 seasons.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Btw, Nazr Mohammed is off the market. Signed a one year, $3.75m extension with OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I keep forgetting how frustrated I used to get with Smits before he really blossomed. We have to be patient with Roy. We can't give up on him just because he hasn't 'arrived' in 2 seasons.
    I was always frustrated with Smits, simply because he was 7'4" and couldn't rebound or block shots at the rate that I feel someone that size should.
    Grown Man Ball

Stanko and McBob.

Save the money for a PF.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Stanko and McBob.

Save the money for a PF.
    I'd be fine with that too. I'd almost prefer to buy out Stanko's contract than sign an underwhelming big, if guys like Darko can get 5-6 million a year then bringing over Stanko for this season is almost a bargin, buyout or not.

Though I wouldn't mind signing Fesenko though, he has legit size and was somewhat productive as Okur's replacement.

I have a different view about FA than 99% of you. I'm not an advocate of FA. Never have been. I'd far rather trade for a player, but since we are talking only about a b/u Center who will play 15-18 minutes FA is an option.

Kwame Brown (FA) is a player that rebs and plays "D". I would believe he should be able to be gotten in the 2-3 mil per year range. Yes, I know the sterotype about being a 1st pick bust, but he had a good season as a starter for Paul Silas. Again, we are taking about Kwame being a b/u Center. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he can play a little PF too.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I was always frustrated with Smits, simply because he was 7'4" and couldn't rebound or block shots at the rate that I feel someone that size should.
    Right about the time Smits started to blossom his feet started to flatten. Very hard to jump and play solid D with that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

Though I wouldn't mind signing Fesenko though, he has legit size and was somewhat productive as Okur's replacement.

NO NO! The Pacers have players that shoot better 3 pt% than Fesenko does FT! 38-40%. He has to be the worst FT shooting big in the NBA.

I want to bring back Jeff Foster. What more do you need out of a backup center?

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Foster has proven that he still has what it takes. I don't think we need to look any farther for the next 2 years. Stanko might be a good replacement for Solo. If we pick up the right big man to start at PF that can also play center I think we'd be set int he front court for next year.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

-Throw a hail-marry at T.Chandler & H.Nene & hope one bites.
    -Bring in K.Brown for n/y after being turned down by TC & HN.
    -Bring back Jeff for a 1 yr deal + a 1 yr team option.
    -Bring back McBob if the price is right
    -Bring in Stanko in '12 (he will play in Europe t/y, esp w/ the lockout).
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I have a different view about FA than 99% of you. I'm not an advocate of FA. Never have been. I'd far rather trade for a player, but since we are talking only about a b/u Center who will play 15-18 minutes FA is an option.

Kwame Brown (FA) is a player that rebs and plays "D". I would believe he should be able to be gotten in the 2-3 mil per year range. Yes, I know the sterotype about being a 1st pick bust, but he had a good season as a starter for Paul Silas. Again, we are taking about Kwame being a b/u Center. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he can play a little PF too.
    I think you make some sense here. KB can be had for a decent contract and then other pieces could be added. This team needs to add a couple more pieces like Hill. Is Kwame that type of player?
    Also, I believe you build a team by letting the core group stay together for a long period of time. Filling in the pieces with good veteran role players could allow the core: Collison, Hill, George, Granger, Hans, Hibbert to gell into a strong nucleus. Bird said he wanted to have the best bench in the league. Signings like 1. Kwame Brown and 2. Either Chuck Hayes or AK47 could go a long way. Plus that would still leave room for bringing back Foster.
    Imagine a 2nd unit:
    pg: Hill
    sg: D. Jones
    C: K. Brown
    PF: Hayes
    SF: Kirilenko

* Could you imagine a better defensive 2nd unit than that???? Close to 50 wins next year and even better as the team gells in the future!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post: