Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default IndyStar > Jackson will speak his mind

(From the mouthpiece)

Listen up! Pacers newcomer Jackson will speak his mind

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    October 19, 2004

The loudest voice in the Indiana Pacers' locker room following their win at Memphis on Saturday belonged to the new guy who looks like he has been around forever.

Stephen Jackson, dressing in the cubicle next to Reggie Miller's, listened as Miller joked with rookies about their upcoming talent show in the annual FanJam at Conseco Fieldhouse. He listened to the rookies playfully challenge some of Miller's warnings, then joined in the exchange.

"Hey, this is Reggie Miller speaking!" he shouted with mock anger. "You don't ask him any questions; you just do what he tells you!"

For Jackson, that was a typical lighthearted moment following what has been a typical heavy-duty performance. The swingman acquired from Atlanta in a July trade for Al Harrington has shown a knack for causing commotion. So far most of it has been desirable, which fans can see for themselves tonight when he makes his preseason home debut as a Pacer against Minnesota.

Jackson has averaged 18 points on 54 percent shooting in the first two preseason games, displaying a varied offensive game that fits and motivates coach Rick Carlisle's shift toward a more open and balanced offense.

His explosive skills were on display in a 21/2-minute spurt early in the second quarter of Saturday's victory at Memphis when he scored on four consecutive possessions. He started with a driving left-handed layup off a crossover dribble, then followed with a 3-pointer behind Scot Pollard's screen, added two free throws after drawing a foul while driving hard off a pick to his left, and hit another 3-pointer off a deflected pass.

Jackson is susceptible to rushing shots, and he has just 26 more assists than turnovers in his four NBA seasons. But his energetic, emotional nature could have great value for the Pacers.

"One thing you wouldn't call Steve Jackson is bashful," Carlisle said. "To this point he's made his presence here completely about raising the level of practices and winning. He just wants to win so bad. That's a great quality to have in a new player in our situation."

Jackson fits with the Pacers on many levels. He grew accustomed to winning when he started on San Antonio's championship team two seasons ago, so after a year of exile in a 28-win season in Atlanta, he is thrilled to be back with a contending team. He also is in sync with the team's leaders. He knew Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest, and he has bonded quickly with Miller.

Jackson is playing for his fourth NBA team, and was in training camp or a summer league with several NBA teams while trying to make the jump from high school. He's played for two CBA teams and a few teams in other countries, too. By now he's well-versed at finding a niche, although it seems to come naturally.

"That's just his personality," Artest said. "He's a good guy."

Jackson has done more than fit in, however. He leads a team prayer before games and hasn't held back words or actions in any environment.

"That's just me," he said. "I don't bite my tongue. I go out and play with a lot of passion and I try to spread that passion to my teammates."

Jackson promised at his introductory news conference in July to be "the biggest jerk in the locker room if we're losing." His bravado, and the ability to back it up that he displayed in San Antonio by hitting clutch shots in the playoffs, should be a welcome addition on a team that couldn't match Detroit's boldness in the Eastern Conference finals last season.

His new teammates, meanwhile, have accepted him because he brings instant credibility. He has something they don't, a championship ring, and he has proven the sincerity of his intentions by willingly coming off the bench after starting the past two seasons.

None of this surprises Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown, who nurtured Jackson's development when both were in San Antonio. Brown saw the same thing happen with the Spurs. There, Jackson earned respect, whether he was finding a niche with Tim Duncan and David Robinson or speaking out in an offseason pickup game.

One of Brown's lasting memories is of watching Jackson in Houston, where the Spurs took players for summer games. If the complaining and trash-talking got out of hand, Jackson would grab the ball, stop the game and confront someone.

"He'd say, 'Who are you talking to? Because if you're talking to me, we've got to get this straight,' " Brown recalled.

"He's not afraid of anything."

Call Star reporter Mark Montieth at (317) 444-6406.[/b]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: IndyStar > Jackson will speak his mind

I'm happy we have got him, though the turnovers and how he would have "chemistry" with Ron when we have a "bad" game or a small losingstreak do bother me jus t a tiny little bit. But, I definitely like having him on our team and, yes, he won't shoot as good as he has so far in the preseason, but it's still shows we have better components to stretch the opposing defences.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I'm thinking the opposite.

I think, since Ron and Al were basically competing for the same position, and since JO and Al were so "close", that subtracting Al and replacing him with a guy that both JO and Ron like may go a long way in improving this team's previously-fragile chemistry.

Now, I'm going to worry about how this team's chemistry would endure a losing streak until they prove to me that they can be unflappable in adversity, but as you all know, I have plenty of "issues" anyway...

I should have seen that one coming.
    [edit=72=1098216058][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just pretend Bill Cowher is coaching.........
    Ron just might really snap from constantly being spit on......

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I'm liking the leadership ability Jackson is demonstrating. That is probably the main thing that was missing from last year's team. JO is still finding his way in the leadership area and Reggie has never been a real 'vocal' leader which may be what this group needed. To a man they seem to be rather laid back in their demeanor so when there is an issue it may not get dealt with right away, it's allowed to fester and becomes a bigger issue.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Woody Workman

I've got to say that I am really encouraged by the fact that Jackson seems to be a "loudmouth" in the locker room. It's exactly what this team needs.

Someone to get up on the guys when they are playing bad, someone to encourage and pump fists when we are playing great.

Last years team was lacking that type of guy. Tinsley doesn't talk, reggie's a quiet leader, artest has passion and desire to win but I can see him being a distraction when losing, jermaine behind the scenes probably isn't that vocal of a guy when it comes to criticizing teammates.

This years team needed someone like Mark Jackson. If you look at the old pacers team who do you think of all those guys was the leader? Had to be mark jackson. This year's squad it will be stephen jackson.

Stephen jackson reminds me of that friend who is an in-your-face confrontational guy who everyone seems to hate. Everyone on his team tho will love him...He's gonna be the leader we need to go far this year. We're finally gettin everything in place to make a special run.

I'm encouraged.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by collegeisfun
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone to get up on the guys when they are playing bad, someone to encourage and pump fists when we are playing great.