Thread: Should this be allowed?

Default Should this be allowed?

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant has taken an unusual step to try to strengthen his ailing right knee, undergoing an innovative procedure in Germany about a month ago, according to four people familiar with the situation who were not authorized to speak publicly.

The treatment is a derivation of platelet-rich plasma therapy. PRP procedures are less invasive than many surgeries involving the knee and are viewed as either an emerging solution to knee problems or a financial gamble on unproven science.

Bryant, who turns 33 next month, has been bothered in recent seasons by an arthritic joint in his right knee. He has undergone three other knee procedures since 2003, including surgery last July to remove unspecified loose bodies.

He sat out an overwhelming majority of the Lakers' practices this past season and saw his scoring, shooting percentage and minutes decrease in his 15th NBA season

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1QsJ4PRYg
    This seems like a new trend in professional sports but some things are very unclear from a scientific stand point. Some doctors doing this procedure use hgh.

Thoughts?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Should this be allowed?

Huge "gray area" if you ask me. Without knowing too much about what goes into the procedure....I'd default to the notion that Kobe views this as any other "procedure" to fix some Sports injury.

But short of Kobe transforming into Karl Malone ( like the difference between Barry Bonds "pre-HGH" and Barry Bonds "post-HGH" ), I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

One of things that I would think that profressional Athletes would do when it comes to using some procedure/medication that is relatively "new" that they would simply check with the NBA FO to see if it would fall under the guidelines of what "can and can't" be done. It may sound simplistic and I'm sure that there is more to it then that....but if the athlete truly "didn't know that HGH was involved", at the very least...he got clearance from the NBA in the first place to do it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Is it true that a bone is stronger after it heals from a brake than it was before it was broken to begin with?

If that is true, well, we don't exactly bar a player from getting his broken bone properly treated (resulting in the player eventually being "better" than they were before, if even just barely).

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it true that a bone is stronger after it heals from a brake than it was before it was broken to begin with?

If that is true, well, we don't exactly bar a player from getting his broken bone properly treated (resulting in the player eventually being "better" than they were before, if even just barely).
    There is more than just one issue here to me and like CableKC said I think its a gray area in sports right now. That isn't to say that it won't become clear in the future but right now its still unclear.

For one some of these procedures aren't being done in the states for a reason. I am not saying what Kobe has done was illegal or anything but it can be pretty hard to get cutting edge procedures passed in the states because of the lack of scientific proof. Combine that with patient Dr. confidentiality and that seems like a dangerous combination.

Its not just cheating that I would be concerned about its the health of the player as well. Some of these Dr. have alot riding on these procedures. I know one of them has a medical equipement patients and its not uncommone to have start up companies to cash in on these controversial procedures.

PRP on it's own as far as I can tell should not be of a concern. Platelets have a well-defined life span, fill a pretty specific healing role, and tmk does not enhance athletic performance over prior levels.

Now, Tommy John surgery, that's another story....

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I found the article very interesting. my degree was in sports medicine and I love the fact that medicine has advanced to this degree

To me one of the greatest things about this country is we are always constantly pushing to develop better technology, medicine, and more
    Sittin on top of the world!

If a procedure to improve the body is not harmful it should be allowed. The point of steroids is that you don't want to make people endanger their long term health to stay competitive.
    We'll cross the river of athletes with bionic parts when we come to it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    If a procedure to improve the body is not harmful it should be allowed. The point of steroids is that you don't want to make people endanger their long term health to stay competitive.
    We'll cross the river of athletes with bionic parts when we come to it.
    First off I am not an expert in PRP but I do work with cell therapy and I want to learn more about PRP.

Cell therapy has many different forms and a lot is not proven scientifically to help at all. It sounds simple and its easy to sell but its a lot harder to prove scientifically to help some one.

Again I am all for healing injuries but if a procedure is not proven why should it be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Again I am all for healing injuries but if a procedure is not proven why should it be allowed?
    Just to play devil's advocate - why not ?? What better test subject than a NBA player ?? After all, it IS called practicing medicine. Not sure how much research & analysis they can do with lab rats with a procedure like this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He went to Germany for this?? ...First Dirk, now Kobe going over there. They know something we dont over there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    He went to Germany for this?? ...First Dirk, now Kobe going over there. They know something we dont over there!

At least Dirk is from Germany

But yeah scientific advances are way more progressive overseas than they are here not as much tape to get through to do anything experimental.

PRP by itself is nothing unless you inject HGH with it then its when it becomes illegal.

So I'm not surprised Kobe went overseas to get it for that reason and well less media coverage as well. He grew up in Europe he knows how things are done there.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate - why not ?? What better test subject than a NBA player ?? After all, it IS called practicing medicine. Not sure how much research & analysis they can do with lab rats with a procedure like this.
    Well I won't get into all the details as it would put most people to sleep but there are many things that you can do in a small animal model that you can't do in humans. Much of it has to do with proving if a therapy works and some of it revolves around tracking cells and looking at longterm survival or renewal that could never be done in humans to prove a therapy works.

SOme of these therapies actually set certain fields of medicine back because of weak science that sounds sexy but in the end there is very little proof that it works.

Edit: Also think of the patient. IF you were given 2 options to help your situation and you chose the one that wouldn't work how would you feel. Certain therapies never get to the clinic for such reasons.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 07-03-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I found the article very interesting. my degree was in sports medicine and I love the fact that medicine has advanced to this degree

To me one of the greatest things about this country is we are always constantly pushing to develop better technology, medicine, and more
    Which would be a good point... except Kobe had to go to Germany for this procedure!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yup, Germany. Stoopid effin commie soshulists with that gawd-awful unyversul bs what cain't hardly git out of its own way nohow and don't have NO money t' even care fer people what gots the sniffles er the runs without 'em havin' t' wait ferever t' even see th' nurse. Comin' up wit some voodoo kinda hokis pokis bs what passes fer medisun and some dum jocks fell fer it when they coulda ended up tha exact same way if they'da just went and got a sample of some high-falutin' experamenticul pill frum thar own dawkter.

Stoopid jocks...Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah know AH shore as HAYIL don't want nuttin' t' do wid enythin' that'd make me hafta pay no TAX t' make it fly, uh-uh, nawSUH! Ain't no WAY ennybawdy kin beat the good ole US of A when it comes t' sciyuntifical stuf ennyhaow.

Actually, I fully believe that players should be allowed to choose their care from any source worldwide, as long as it falls within the permissible guidelines for NBA basketball and the laws of the US and Canada, whichever is more strict in a given circumstance.