Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Williams

Default Sean Williams

I was thinking the other day about David Harrison and Josh Boone as to where they are. I read Sean Williams played in the NBADL last season for Nancy Lieberman, and did quite well. She stated she enjoyed coaching him.

I wonder if Sean Williams has learned enough to take a flyer on him as a Big like Walsh did with Shawe Williams? What do you remember about his game? His game only PLEASE.

Harrison had the body and footwork to be a decent Center. Last I heard he played in China.

Boone, IIRC, played in China. All I remember is that he and Williams played for the Nets. I don't recall him being a scorer, so was he any good with "D" and rebounding? I don't remember any personal problems with him.

Just thinking "maybe" there might be a former NBA player who could be a 4th or 5th Big. Can anyone else thing of another player of any interest?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sean Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I wonder if Sean Williams has learned enough to take a flyer on him as a Big like Walsh did with Shawe Williams? What do you remember about his game? His game only PLEASE.
    This is like bringing up Ron Artest and telling everyone to only talk about his game. You're stacking the argument.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I personally would give him a camp invite. As bad as we need a shot blocking rebounding PF, heck I would look at Roy Tarpley
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Harrison had the body and footwork to be a decent Center. Last I heard he played in China.
    I'm not sure Harrison had the body. I remember when we drafted him. The commentators said he had "short arms". From then on my friends and I always referred to him as "short arms". I'd picture him in my mind playing center with little t-rex like arms.

But that's not what you asked, is it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All I remember about his game is that he was/is an excellent shot-blocker. I'm pretty sure his offense was nothing but dunks and lay-up. I'm not sure about his rebounding...actually I'm not 100% sure on anything I just said here.

Sports Logo

The question isn't whether he has the skills and hops....the question is whether he has matured or not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hulk did not have the defensive footwork. He was 10 times worse than Hibbert in his rookie year. Harrison did not improve at all while he was here.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's an article on Sean Williams posted just yesterday at AZCentral.com...

Sean Williams looking for a 2nd chance in NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Coro, The Arizona Republic
    It is fitting that Sean Williams' road back to the NBA traveled through the desert Wednesday.

Once nicknamed "Mirage," Williams always has been an illusory talent who can't help but demand a second glance.

The Suns gave him one this week, when they included him, 13 other NBA hopefuls and first-round pick Markieff Morris in a two-day minicamp.

With a checkered past, the New Jersey Nets' 2007 first-round pick is out to prove he is not the misfit whose immature and illegal behavior overshadowed his talent. After a year spent trying to restore his image with the D-League's Texas Legends, Williams received his first NBA evaluations since the Nets waived him last year with workouts for Memphis and Phoenix this week.

"There are a lot of misperceptions about who I am because a lot of people don't know me," Williams, 24, said. "If you just read reports about some of my past, you might think I'm a horrible person. I'm trying to see people face to face and show them me. Everybody's trying to get to know me, see who I am and pick Sean Williams' brain.

"Everybody knows I can play basketball. I've gotten this far through all the trouble I've been through in my life. It's just being the best person I can possibly be on and off the court. That's what is going to help me be a professional in this league."

Williams' NBA stint nearly mirrored his troubled times at Boston College that dropped his draft stock to No. 17 in 2007. He was a risk then but New Jersey was blinded by the 6-foot-10 power forward's athleticism and defensive prowess.

At Boston College, he had a marijuana arrest and was dismissed from the team for repeated rules violations.

With New Jersey, he was arrested in 2009 on a Nets road trip when he threw a computer monitor in a cellphone store. He was waived in January 2010.

Williams played 14 games in China and two in Puerto Rico before asking Dallas General Manager Donnie Nelson for a spot to play for his D-League affiliate near Williams' hometown of Arlington, Texas. He averaged 14.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.9 blocks for a Texas team coached by Nancy Lieberman, a friend of Suns coach Alvin Gentry for 35 years.

"She speaks highly of him," Gentry said. "He's real athletic and does some good things as far as shot-blocking.

"She said he was easy for her to coach. That's all I can judge it by. He seems to be working hard out here and seems to be focused on what he's trying to do as far as getting back in the league."

Suns scout Dan Panaggio recommended Williams after watching his D-League play, as he did for camp invitees Jerel McNeal and Tasmin Mitchell of the D-League.

"Sean swallowed his pride to play in the D-League and his numbers were solid," Suns Director of Player Personnel John Treloar said.

With limited free agency spending room, the Suns might be inclined to take a risk based on potential.

Williams said he slowed down the hurried way he played in New Jersey but knows teams want to see his off-court performance even more.

He defines his mistakes as "a young man growing up" but claims to have a renewed motivation.

"The motivation's always been there, especially on the court," he said.

"I just switched motivation and gave it a different direction, taking it more off the court the last two years."
    Production-wise, he's basically a slightly better version of Solo Jones who's still young enough (24) to have some perceived potential:

I'd be ok with giving him a chance as a Solo replacement, bottom-of-the-bench big man.

Anyone know anything about Josh Boone presently or what his game is?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I personally would give him a camp invite. As bad as we need a shot blocking rebounding PF, heck I would look at Roy Tarpley
    Man what a waste.

I saw this guy play in person several times when he was young and this may be the one story of a player who made it to the NBA, had the skill set to have an all-star career & blew it all away on drugs. A lot of people have the skill set & lose it to drugs but there aren't many who make it all the way to the NBA.

Roy was legit. 7' tall with a wide body and a sweet shot, but was also able to bang in the post.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I've always really liked Josh Boone's game.

I don't know what his contract is with China, but if he's a FA over there, I'd be happy to bring him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Man what a waste.

I saw this guy play in person several times when he was young and this may be the one story of a player who made it to the NBA, had the skill set to have an all-star career & blew it all away on drugs. A lot of people have the skill set & lose it to drugs but there aren't many who make it all the way to the NBA.

Roy was legit. 7' tall with a wide body and a sweet shot, but was also able to bang in the post.
    Ya know my friend the funny/sad/ironic/ thing about the whole connection to drugs and the NBA. The players like Michael Ray Richardson and Roy Tarpley and William Bedford, and so on all had issues with cocaine that brought down their career and personal life

Since the late 90's and beyond I cant recall a player getting into trouble for cocaine as it seems marajuana is the drug of choixe

regardless of how you feel personally it seems that those that smoked were at least able to continue to lead productive lives , while cocaine destroyed theirs

"cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Rick James

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I'd be ok with giving him a chance as a Solo replacement, bottom-of-the-bench big man.
    I'd rather just resign Solomon Jones than his slightly better, arrest riddled, clone.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

David Harrison is playing in Guangdong Foshan along with Fred Jones and Stephon Marbury lol Harrison is a 22ppg guy over there lol
    http://www.niubball.com/2010/12/its-cba-media-day/

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Since the late 90's and beyond I cant recall a player getting into trouble for cocaine as it seems marajuana is the drug of choixe
    Chris "Birdman" Andersen enjoyed the white stuff. And it cost him two seasons.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

No. We don't need anymore immature and idiotic players to be associated with the Pacers franchise.

Mood

True story, me and some friends were at Brad's Brass Flamingo on southeastern street about a year ago and David Harrison walks in with his crew and sits down by us. We ended up chatting a bit and then he slides over and asked for my friends number. He calls the next day seeing if we wanted to stop by his condo, so we did. Then he ask's if we could get him an ounce of chronic... so we did and charged his dumb a** 600 bucks for it to.

O and he lost about 100 pounds as well. Didnt even look like him really.

Anyways so Id say he hasnt grown up a bit. Infact he seemed really shy and like he needed friends and *****. Feel bad for the guy. He could of totally been legit in the League.
    Try hard-er or Die hard-er. In this to win it.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bury Your Dead For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Sometimes it's easy to view NBA players as not so educated/smart and not from good character types of neighborhoods.

But, the reality is, that they are generally pretty sharp intellectually (dressed in hip hop drag) and generally avoid too much character destroying activity (nothwithstanding Harrison and a few other exceptions to the rule). Otherwise, they find themselves unable to compete at the highest level.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Good catch

Forget about the Birdman

Didnt our own Brad Milller get caught? cant remember if it wass weed or coke

Quote Originally Posted by Bury Your Dead View Post
    True story, me and some friends were at Brad's Brass Flamingo on southeastern street about a year ago and David Harrison walks in with his crew and sits down by us. We ended up chatting a bit and then he slides over and asked for my friends number. He calls the next day seeing if we wanted to stop by his condo, so we did. Then he ask's if we could get him an ounce of chronic... so we did and charged his dumb a** 600 bucks for it to.

O and he lost about 100 pounds as well. Didnt even look like him really.

Anyways so Id say he hasnt grown up a bit. Infact he seemed really shy and like he needed friends and *****. Feel bad for the guy. He could of totally been legit in the League.
    600 an ounce

OG Kush is only about 350-375

nice profit margin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Sometimes it's easy to view NBA players as not so educated/smart and not from good character types of neighborhoods.

But, the reality is, that they are generally pretty sharp intellectually (dressed in hip hop drag) and generally avoid too much character destroying activity (nothwithstanding Harrison and a few other exceptions to the rule). Otherwise, they find themselves unable to compete at the highest level.
    LMAO @ "hip-hop drag"

Picturing Rick Ross or Little Wayne in drag lol

I hope Williams can turn his career around and head on the right path but I don't want that to be as a Pacer. He just isn't worth the risk, IMO. Right now Lance is about the only Pacer with a checkered past and I would like to keep it that way.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was heroin for the Birdman. The worst of the worst, addiction wise.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Ya know my friend the funny/sad/ironic/ thing about the whole connection to drugs and the NBA. The players like Michael Ray Richardson and Roy Tarpley and William Bedford, and so on all had issues with cocaine that brought down their career and personal life

regardless of how you feel personally it seems that those that smoked were at least able to continue to lead productive lives , while cocaine destroyed theirs

"cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Rick James
    Cocaine is easier to hide from a drug test. Pot is detectable 10 times longer. Cocaine also destoys lives fast, where as pot typically does not unless the law comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This is like bringing up Ron Artest and telling everyone to only talk about his game. You're stacking the argument.
    You can't fairly compare anyone to Ron Artest. Sorry.