Thread: Would a season long lockout benefit us in the 2012 draft?

Default Would a season long lockout benefit us in the 2012 draft?

I assume that we would still have the 15th pick which would be a pretty nice asset. If we do have a season, and I pray we do, I think we would have a better record and also draft later. The 2012 draft will be much stronger by all indications so we could get a really good player or trade asset to use. Plus we would still have all our room under the cap (whatever that will be) to get some FAs. And the FA list will be even longer because you'll be adding this years crop to next years.

The Cavs could REALLY benefit if they luck out and get the #1 pick again. Teams like the Celts and Spurs would be hurt the most because they get another year older without even getting another title shot.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

Default Re: Would a season long lockout benefit us in the 2012 draft?

Not that it would effect us, but I would hope that they would do the lottery again. Also, the Cleveland pick that won the lottery was the Clippers pick, so the Clippers would get #1 in this hypothetical, not Cleveland. Cleveland would get #4, though, which is still nice.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

No, the 2012 draft order won't be the same as 2011, even if the whole season is canceled. The early word is that they'll probably do a weighted lottery of all teams.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, the 2012 draft order won't be the same as 2011, even if the whole season is canceled. The early word is that they'll probably do a weighted lottery of all teams.
    that would be interesting to say the least. especially if one of the power teams like miami or LAL got the first pick.

like the ewing to NYK but on steroids.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    uggh, hopefully they put limit on how high of a pick certain teams can get. I don't want to see the Lakers miraculously getting the #1 pick even with a 0.0000001 chance

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't mind an all-teams lottery.
    Say, this year's lotto teams keep half of their lotto balls, and the other half goes to all 30 teams equally. Which means we'd get around 1.7% chance at no.1. that's like what Bulls had when they won D-Rose lottery!

Still, I'll rather take the season. I doubt I can stand a full season of Euroleague and soccer only.

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    uggh, hopefully they put limit on how high of a pick certain teams can get. I don't want to see the Lakers miraculously getting the #1 pick even with a 0.0000001 chance
    My thoughts exactly. That idea would be absolutely stupid, and in my mind unfair to the lottery teams. If they separated it into two or more lotteries so that you have the lottery teams in the traditional lottery, then have the teams who made the playoffs their own lottery that would be ok, still I would rather just do it like normal. Have the non-playoff teams do a new lottery and the playoff teams stay at their same position.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

David Stern would just give the #1 pick to the Knicks or some big market team.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Not that it would effect us, but I would hope that they would do the lottery again. Also, the Cleveland pick that won the lottery was the Clippers pick, so the Clippers would get #1 in this hypothetical, not Cleveland. Cleveland would get #4, though, which is still nice.
    I was thinking they would re-do the lottery and the Cavs would still have the 2nd best chance at #1.

I would not like an all team lottery. That would just open up the possibility of a lot of grumbling if any of the elite teams gets a top 10 pick. I know I would be grumbling!
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    My thoughts exactly. That idea would be absolutely stupid, and in my mind unfair to the lottery teams. If they separated it into two or more lotteries so that you have the lottery teams in the traditional lottery, then have the teams who made the playoffs their own lottery that would be ok, still I would rather just do it like normal. Have the non-playoff teams do a new lottery and the playoff teams stay at their same position.
    There won't be a fair for everyone scenario. Keep the same lotto chances as is year - it's unfair to say Bobcats who basically blew it up with an eye at the top pick next year. Or Hornets, who would basically lose CP3 and D-West in one long offseason and wouldn't even have a lottery pick.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Don't even want to think about that shiot!