Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenyon Martin?

Default Kenyon Martin?

I'm down to sign this guy, I know Duke Dynamite is too. He played really well last year and is a defensive minded PF that has a nice offensive game that gets him to the rack. If we can get him without over paying I think we jump on it and have him come off the bench, that would make the 2nd unit even more of a better defensive team.
    Here we come lottery?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kenyon Martin?

I'm warming up to the idea except I like him as the starter next to Hibbert with Hansbrough providing scoring off the bench and then splitting the PF minutes about 50-50.

When you look at what we need from our PF we could use: defense, athleticism, quickness, toughness, and rebounding. Kenyton Martin has lost a step, but he'd still bring defense, toughness, and rebounding and still moves pretty well. Most of all, he'd bring some attitude to our frontcourt. I was just getting downright sick of the cheap push in the backs by Noah and Boozer all playoff series, and KMart doesn't seem like the type that would take that sitting down.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

love the idea of getting Martin. hes one of those guys I believe that gets his teammates hyped and would automatically become our new "dale davis" front line enforcer. problem is I dont think Martin/Hans/Hibb would have enough help and we'd still need a 20 min a game big. Someone like Fesenko so we could save some bucks for next summer.

I dont think Martin would play here even for more money. hes at an age where chasing a ring becomes much more important. I also dont think him and the city of Indianapolis make a good marriage. He comes off like a guy that wants to play for a flashy city and ride the coattails of a superstar.

Mood

Have been saying this for the last 2 weeks...., I would rather have him starting, and use tylers scoring ability off the bench though...
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually like the swagger he brings to his game. He's not a thug or anything off the court. He's a hard nosed guy out on the court which would be nice in a rotation of he and Tyler.

Aside from that, I like his play on the defensive end and he can also step away from the paint and make shots.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm warming up to the idea except I like him as the starter next to Hibbert with Hansbrough providing scoring off the bench and then splitting the PF minutes about 50-50.

When you look at what we need from our PF we could use: defense, athleticism, quickness, toughness, and rebounding. Kenyton Martin has lost a step, but he'd still bring defense, toughness, and rebounding and still moves pretty well. Most of all, he'd bring some attitude to our frontcourt. I was just getting downright sick of the cheap push in the backs by Noah and Boozer all playoff series, and KMart doesn't seem like the type that would take that sitting down.
    Well said, depending on who we pick up I don't know if he would start but you can bring his toughness and enery off the bench. He's not intimidated by anybody. Here is a small article I found today on him after he went down with an injury late in the season...it talks about how much they're going to miss his defense, I'm absolutely sold.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature....html?rss=true

Injuries are a part of the game and every NBA team must deal with them. But right now, the Denver Nuggets are dealing with an issue that goes well beyond rest and rehab.

George Karl is undergoing a series of radiation treatments for throat cancer and the Nuggets don't know when they'll see their head coach again. At this point, Karl isn't expected to return to the bench until the playoffs. When you take away a coach that's won almost 1,000 games in the league and add the stress of a serious health concern, your team can't help but be negatively affected.

On top of dealing with Karl's cancer, the Nuggets have a standard player injury that's another big concern. Kenyon Martin has missed the last 12 games with patella tendinitis in his left knee, and the timetable for his return is very much in the air as well.

Martin was having arguably the best season of his career, even better than his All-Star season in New Jersey. No, his numbers aren't as good they were in 2003-04, but Martin's value is not about points, rebounds and field-goal percentage.

Karl calls Martin "the quarterback of our defense," and without their power forward, the Nuggets are simply not very good defensively.

In the 55 games that Martin has played, the Nuggets have allowed 103.5 points per 100 possessions. And in the 18 games he's missed, they've allowed 107.7. That's not quite the drop-off that you'd have if you took Dwight Howard out of the middle of the Magic's defense, but it's the difference between being the 12th best defense in the league and being the sixth worst.

Opposing offenses haven't shot the ball much better from the field in the games without Martin, but they've turned the ball over less, got to the free throw line more, and grabbed more offensive boards. Rebounding is Martin's greatest strength, but he's also the rare player that can realistically guard all five positions.

"And guard them well," Chauncey Billups said. "Defensively, he's as good as it gets."

In fact, Karl often assigns Martin to guard the opposing team's best player, no matter what position they may play, down the stretch of games. Martin has done as good a job as anyone could in defending Kobe Bryant on key possessions against the Lakers.

"I'll put him on anybody," Karl said at All-Star weekend. "I love it when [the opponent runs] pick-and-roll at the end of a game and we switch it. I say, 'OK. You just switched on to our best defender.'"

The Nuggets have also been worse offensively without Martin. Overall, they're 10-8 without him and needed Carmelo Anthony's buzzer-beater in Toronto on Friday to avoid their first four-game losing streak in more than three years.

Martin is no stranger to knee injuries, of course. Over the past seven seasons, he's missed a total of 180 games, almost all due to problems with either one of his knees. He's had microfracture surgery on both of them. So while his latest injury isn't related to the surgeries at all, it still elicits quite a bit of frustration.

"It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination, because I want to play," Martin said this week. "I've been playing well."

And he had been playing through pain for most of the season, but it got worse as the year went on. He'd tried everything to help subside it: anti-inflammatories, acupuncture and massage cupping techniques.

"I did it all, but it got to a point where nothing would work," he said. And eventually, the pain was too much.

Now, in addition to sitting out, Martin is undergoing platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy, in which platelet-rich plasma is separated from a vial of his own blood and then injected into his knee in an attempt to help tissue recover. It's a painful process, but Martin's doing whatever he can to get back on the court and knows when he does, he'll still have to play in pain.

"I know what I can deal with," he said. "It's my 10th year. It's just trying to get it to a point where I can tolerate it."

Martin began riding a stationary bike on the Nuggets' current five-game road trip, and is doing a little bit more every day. He'll be re-examined when the team returns home, with just seven games left in the regular season. Of course, he doesn't want to return too early, in fear that the pain might build back up and put him back in a suit when his team needs him most.

"The real season starts April 17th," he said.

At this point, there's no guarantee he'll be ready by then. PRP therapy doesn't work for everybody. So while the Nuggets wonder when they'll see Karl again, they also wonder if Martin will get back his uniform before it's too late.

"We're real concerned about [Martin's status]," acting head coach Adrian Dantley admitted. "But the only thing you can do is keep playing. We hope we get him back. We're a better defensive team when he's out there. A better team when he's out there."
    Here we come lottery?

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

KMart?
    Sure - If we can get him for a Blue Light Special pricetag.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

I like Martin, but I would rather find a PF that would be a long-term solution. K-Mart has already played 11 seasons so he probably only has 2 or 3 more productive seasons in him. Unless we can get him for cheap and have him come off the bench, I would pass on Martin.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

KMart is a great player, when healthy.

I would not be comfortable signing him to a deal considering his age and history of injuries
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

I'd love to see KMart in a Pacers uni if the price is right. I think he and Tyler would be a pretty good rotation if each can play about half of the game minute wise. KMart probably has three more years of productivity left in him and I think he would flourish playing with Tyler backing him up and playing big minutes himself. During those three years it gives us time to draft a descent young PF to groom or pick up that dominant PF in the next three years via trade or as a FA.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

Hell yea! Nene is going to ask for to much and David West is a risk. Kmart is a good rebounder. I wouldn't say he is one of the best shot blockers but he is pretty good.

Banned

Kmart is a way better option than Dwest, he is going to be cheap too, I would like him as a back up better.

Sports Logo

Kenyon Martin is 33 years old. If we were go get a True Backup Center ( think Oden or Pryzbilla ) that could rebound and block shots....I'd have no problem splitting the PF minutes with Kenyon Martin and Hansbrough ( 24/24 ).

Another thing was the when the Nuggets played Teams like the Lakers....Karl would actually put Kenyon Martin on Kobe....he could easily defend some stronger 3s and quicker 4s.

"And guard them well," Chauncey Billups said. "Defensively, he's as good as it gets."

In fact, Karl often assigns Martin to guard the opposing team's best player, no matter what position they may play, down the stretch of games. Martin has done as good a job as anyone could in defending Kobe Bryant on key possessions against the Lakers.

"I'll put him on anybody," Karl said at All-Star weekend. "I love it when [the opponent runs] pick-and-roll at the end of a game and we switch it. I say, 'OK. You just switched on to our best defender.'"
    Even with his age......this is the very definition of Smashmouth Basketball that I want in my Frontcourt.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-29-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

K Mart would have been prefect like 6 years ago but he is still a good fit i agree with most the price has to be right but he adds some toughness and defense that we have not had

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRifleman51 For This Useful Post:

didnt realize Martin missed over 85 games last 4 seasons, and that number has grown year by year. This is a major issue. Now that leads me to believe.......

A) we must sign a quality big man who can play big minutes in addition to KMart, cause history has told us this guy cant stay on the court. Thats gonna cost us much more money.

B) if we did sign him and he missed a dozen or more games that might hurt our team chemistry and this team needs to gel in a bad way. Him being on and off the court would potentially disrupt that goal. It would be like last years Pacers again, minus KMart and/or McBob/Foster.

C) At the right price, if we could land Landry and Martin together I think that would pay off big. Takes pressure off the other. I wouldnt want to sign one without the other, or another who fits what these two could potentially be in a pacer uniform.
    Last edited by joeco; 06-29-2011 at 02:05 AM.

What for? He's been breaking down for years. He's old, he has serious mileage and he's running on fumes. So why do we need him exactly? It has to be something for at least 3-4 years. We aren't going deep this year, and probably not the next. Got to be someone who can still move two years from now.
    Or do you mean add him as 7th or 8th man? Then I don't care.

And with his attitude, you can't even count on positive veteran leadership. Yeah, I think there could be a better bench guy somewhere.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    I like Martin, but I would rather find a PF that would be a long-term solution. K-Mart has already played 11 seasons so he probably only has 2 or 3 more productive seasons in him. Unless we can get him for cheap and have him come off the bench, I would pass on Martin.
    I almost agree 100%, but isn't a PF who's been in the league for 11 seasons and won't take **** from anybody exactly the guy we need? The market is going to demand this guy getting a 4 yr $24 million deal... and if it does, then obviously we pass. If Martin wants to come here for 2-3 yrs at $10-$18 mill then I personally would have to pull the trigger. He's a vet who's been around the block and isn't afraid to get physical on the block. Sign me up.

My ideal offseason (now that we have G3) is Kenyon Martin, Chuck Hayes, that Fesenko dude from Utah, and Foster (assuming we don't overpay for any of them). We've got young wings out the *** and are about to get more next offseason (FA's and draft), lets load up on veteran role playing, defensive bigs while we have the chance (because we only have Handy Man and Hib Hib Hooroy under contract right now).

(I LOVE LARRY!)

Talking Re: Kenyon Martin?

Quote Originally Posted by joeco View Post
    didnt realize Martin missed over 85 games last 4 seasons, and that number has grown year by year. This is a major issue. Now that leads me to believe.......

A) we must sign a quality big man who can play big minutes in addition to KMart, cause history has told us this guy cant stay on the court. Thats gonna cost us much more money.

B) if we did sign him and he missed a dozen or more games that might hurt our team chemistry and this team needs to gel in a bad way. Him being on and off the court would potentially disrupt that goal. It would be like last years Pacers again, minus KMart and/or McBob/Foster.

C) At the right price, if we could land Landry and Martin together I think that would pay off big. Takes less pressure off the other. I wouldnt want to sign one without the other, or another who fits what these two could potentially be in a pacer uniform.
    i like that idea of the combo signing as long as it doesn't kill our pockets

No matter what Larry does, remember..

"He's the real macaroni, you cheesy *****... he's demonic with the Kraft"

Song? Anybody...? Anybody?

Welp, see ya later

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I want somebody that will scare the out of Boozer and Noah. KMart would be a step in the right direction even if it's for a limited time.
    Last edited by Pacersalltheway10; 06-29-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Kenyon Martin was a good rebounder.

He isn't anymore.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sbty01&y3=2011
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

i've always thought kmart was phony tough. a guy that acted tough, but was really not big and strong enough. plus he is the same size as tyler, ie undersized. once upon a time, he was athletic. but like JO, he is not anymore. and like JO, he is hurt all the time. now that is think about it, the JO comparison for his physical deterioration is probably a good one. buyer beware here.

that said, a one/two yr contract would be ok if the pacers can't get anyone better.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love how on twitter you were claiming that the citizens of PD were just drooling over Kmart. From what I see here there are a lot of mixed feelings, most of which are luke warm, many more including "hell no".

I honestly don't see him getting anything more than Jermaine O'Neal money at 2-3 years at 5-6 million. I think he'd be a nice stop gap until a better long-term PF could be found, certainly better than overpaying for David West.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    I almost agree 100%, but isn't a PF who's been in the league for 11 seasons and won't take **** from anybody exactly the guy we need? The market is going to demand this guy getting a 4 yr $24 million deal... and if it does, then obviously we pass. If Martin wants to come here for 2-3 yrs at $10-$18 mill then I personally would have to pull the trigger. He's a vet who's been around the block and isn't afraid to get physical on the block. Sign me up.
    Everyone is being pretty clear that "at the right price" is their mindset.

However, the dude made $16.5M last season. He's gonna be looking for something closer to $8M/Year I would think, and someone will overpay him. (New York? Nets? LA?)

As for me, I could go either way. His attitude really concerns me, and I'd hate to have a guy disrupting the growth and development of PG/TH, and potentially hurting Lance's development as well.

However, I've never been in Denvers lockerroom, so maybe he's a peach in there, and a positive leader.