Thread: David West to test FA market

Default David West to test FA market

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6707803

ESPN.com
    Archive Despite suffering a season-ending knee injury in March, New Orleans Hornets power forward David West said he will opt out of the final season of his contract this week and become a free agent.

"We just felt like this is the best thing for me, to go forward, and I made the decision based on where I was since the knee (surgery) and all those other things and I felt it was the right time for me to make a good decision," West told the (New Orleans) Times-Picayune on Monday.

West has a June 30 deadline in his contract to notify the Hornets whether he will invoke next season's $7.5 million salary or opt for free agency.

West

The Hornets have anticipated all along that West would become a free agent, even though the former All-Star was forced to undergo surgery in April to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered March 24. The reason: West still figures to be one of the two or three most coveted players on the open market in spite of the injury after years of consistent production and averages of 18.9 points and 7.6 rebounds in 70 games last season.

Hornets general manager Dell Demps said he still hoped to bring West back.

"We have had open communication with David this entire season about his option and knew with either decision that our intention is to pursue David so he can finish his career as a Hornet," Demps said.

The Hornets, sources said, would still love to sign West to an extension before Thursday's deadline. But it's believed that West -- even in a financial landscape forecasted to be more restrictive starting next season and even factoring in his injury -- will eventually earn more in free agency than he could in an extension that would have to be calculated with next season's $7.5 million salary as a starting point.

"We'll have to talk to them, obviously, and see where Dell is," West told the newspaper. "The Hornets have an opportunity. But I'm looking for an opportunity to win, honestly. We'll see how things work out, and what the Hornets do to make our situation better. That's really all it came down to. At this point in my career, I want to win, and I want to win big."

Free agency will be delayed if the NBA, as expected, imposes a lockout July 1. But sources said only an unforeseen rehabilitation setback in the next 72 hours would change West's plans.

The Times-Picayune reported on Friday that West has been rehabbing twice daily and started on that schedule even before New York orthopedist Dr. David Altchek reconstructed the torn ligament. Altchek re-examined West's knee in New York two weeks ago and proclaimed him ahead of schedule in a rehabilitation period that initially was expected to last six to eight months.

Demps told the Times-Picayune last week: "Whether he opts in or opts out, our goal is to keep David West here. We said it from Day 1: We want David West to retire a Hornet. He's been great to us on and off the court. We're hoping his recovery continues on pace as it is right now. He's right on schedule to come back next year and play.

"We're hoping for a speedy recovery. Our goal is to keep him. There's room for both (West and free-agent power forward Carl Landry). Our goal is to keep that core together. We're not changing off that plan."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Follow Marc Stein on Twitter: @stein_line_HQ
    I'm a Beast

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: David West to test FA market

I can easily see him going to the Nets.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can easily see him going to the Nets.
    I hope so. On a number of dimensions, Kris Humphries is a better fit for our team. If Nets went for West, that'd almost certainly mean that he'd be looking for a new home. More defensively skilled, hungry on the glass, younger, smashmouth, complementary to Hibbert.

If we could get him for MLE money (Landry-style contract) you've got to give him a hard look.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

I don't think Humphries is such a big name that he is going to get a starting gig elsewhere. The Nets could certainly keep him around as the 3rd big.

I do not want David West. If we do sign him though I really do hope he gets overpaid. I hope we waste all our money on a 32 year old jump shooting power forward that is coming off a major injury. Sign him to a max 4-5 year deal then he would be 36 to 37 years old at the end of his contract...that would be smart.
    Here we come lottery?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I don't think Humphries is such a big name that he is going to get a starting gig elsewhere. The Nets could certainly keep him around as the 3rd big.
    All kidding aside, you really do also have to take into account the Kardashian-effect. They're engaged now, so is she going to be all that happy about him coming to play for a city like Indianapolis, or would she be happier about him playing in a bigger market like New Jersey? I just don't see Humphries coming here unless we were to offer him a contract that would be obviously bloated.
    Grown Man Ball

Damn, I'm good...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...e_agent_062711

Indiana and New Jersey are two teams with significant salary-cap space and a strong interest in signing West, league sources said. West grew up in New Jersey, living in Northern New Jersey until the eighth grade, and has always been fond of the metropolitan New York area. Nevertheless, the Pacers have a better core now and have a gaping hole for a power forward. Yahoo! Sports

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The West-to-Jersey talk has been around for a while, and why wouldn't it? He's one of the top free agents available and New Jersey is his home state. In fact, there was a thread on it way back in March: David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

I'm torn on signing him. His offensive skill level is excellent, but the injury and his age (31 by next season) are both worrisome, as is his weak rebounding. Locking him up for big money, long-term, may be more of a risk than it's worth.

I think we could probably do better in a trade.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    The West-to-Jersey talk has been around for a while, and why wouldn't it? He's one of the top free agents available and New Jersey is his home state. In fact, there was a thread on it way back in March: David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

I'm torn on signing him.
    Not as torn as his ACL.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I fear that he's going to become Rashard Lewis 2.0 with regard to his contract and productivity. That player would still be better than either of our current PFs but I still wouldn't recommend signing him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I'm torn on signing him. His offensive skill level is excellent, but the injury and his age (31 by next season) are both worrisome, as is his weak rebounding. Locking him up for big money, long-term, may be more of a risk than it's worth.

I think we could probably do better in a trade.
    Weak rebounding? What the hell are you talking about?

For the last several years, he has played next to either Okafur or Chandler, both very, very good rebounders. Yet, over the course of the last 5 years, West has probably averaged over 8 RBs per season for the 5 years combined.

I think one can knock West for perhaps not being the exact make of defender that you would like to see next to Hibbert, but I don't think there is any way that he can be knocked for his all-around offensive game and his rebounding. He is a great PnR PF, capable of making the catch on his cut to the basket or hitting the mid-range jumper on the pop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Weak rebounding? What the hell are you talking about?

For the last several years, he has played next to either Okafur or Chandler, both very, very good rebounders. Yet, over the course of the last 5 years, West has probably averaged over 8 RBs per season for the 5 years combined.

I think one can knock West for perhaps not being the exact make of defender that you would like to see next to Hibbert, but I don't think there is any way that he can be knocked for his all-around offensive game and his rebounding. He is a great PnR PF, capable of making the catch on his cut to the basket or hitting the mid-range jumper on the pop.
    8rpg is not that good if we expect the guy to takes us to the next level, Troy Murphy averaged more rebounds than that

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    8rpg is not that good if we expect the guy to takes us to the next level, Troy Murphy averaged more rebounds than that
    Congratulations, you totally missed the point. A player playing next to a very, very good rebounder would not be expected to rebound as well as he might next to a rebounder that is not a great rebounder.

I consider both Okafur and Chandler to be significantly better rebounders than Hibbert. You put West next to Hibbert, I would expect him to have a better rebounding average than he had next to either of Chandler or Okafur.

So, if West is given his 34-35 minutes per game as in previous seasons, I would expect him to have 9.5 - 10 rebounds per game playing next to Hibbert.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    So, if West is given his 34-35 minutes per game as in previous seasons, I would expect him to have 9.5 - 10 more knee operations before his new long-term contract with us expires.
    FIXED!
    (Unless he signs for way less then what he turned down already, I pass!)
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post: