Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Globe article on Bird (new information)

Mood

Default Boston Globe article on Bird (new information)

I don't have time to paste it, but someone really ought to.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...n:twit:celtics

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Boston Globe article on Bird (new information)

Boston Globe article on Bird (new information)

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...n:twit:celtics

Bird may look to slow pace

By Julian Benbow
    Globe Staff / June 27, 2011
    There was a phrase Red Auerbach used to swear by that Larry Bird wound up adopting. A year, Auerbach would say, isn’t a very long time.

In 1997, with Bird five years into retirement and itching to get back into the game, he and Pacers president Donnie Walsh had a conversation.

“On Day 1, he told me exactly what he would do if he coached our team,’’ Walsh said. “He knew our whole roster. He did this specifically in detail. He took it from the first day in training camp to the Finals and told every single thing he would do.’’

Walsh hired Bird, and the Pacers won 58 games that season and took Michael Jordan’s Bulls to seven games in the Eastern Conference finals.
    “When I look back on it after Larry finished the three years as head coach, that’s exactly what he told me the first day he would do,’’ Walsh said. “That sums up exactly the kind of guy he is. He tells you what he wanted to do, then he went out and did exactly what he told you he was going to do. I wish all people were like that.’’

To this day, Bird, now the Pacers’ president of basketball operations, uses the same expression.

“I tell my owner that all the time when he talks about players or how they’re developing,’’ Bird said. “I’ll say, ‘It might take him a year, but a year’s not very long in this business.’
    “Once you start playing the games, the season’s over before you know it. Then people start realizing that a year’s not very long.’’

Now, though, Bird is the one on the clock. He’s been the Pacers’ top executive for eight seasons, but said that after next season he’s considering stepping away. He took the Pacers to the Finals as coach in 2000. But he’s spent the last six seasons trying to rebuild a franchise stained by the brawl with the Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

With Indiana coming off its first playoff appearance since 2006, the franchise is at a turning point. Bird and Pacers owner Herb Simon agreed that Bird would continue to guide the franchise on a year-to-year basis.

“It’s a handshake deal,’’ said Bird, who will be honored tomorrow at TD Garden as part of the Sports Museum’s The Tradition. “I don’t want a [long-term] contract.’’

But they both know a year isn’t a very long time.
    “It’s at a point now in my life where I think it might be time to really reconsider and see how long I want to do this,’’ said Bird, now 54. “They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor. I was leaving, but he asked me to stay, and I will and I’ll get the job done.

Page 2 of 3 --

“I just think the franchise is in a good position right now, and I want to leave it in a good position for the next guy to do some good things. Sometimes you just look at it and say, ‘Hey, I’ve done enough. I’ve got it in the position I want to get it in,’ and you move on. I’ve got another year here and I’m going to try to do the best I can to get this team back to winning.’’

Favorable choice Nothing ever made more sense to Bird than playing.

“Playing the game I loved and playing on championship teams and playing in a city that adored their players, that was the ultimate,’’ he said.

Coaching was never a consideration until 1997.

“I had no interest in it,’’ said Bird. “I sort of did it as a favor for Donnie Walsh and it turned out pretty good.’’

But the thought of a front-office job intrigued Bird, mostly because of the challenge. After coaching the Pacers for three seasons, Bird took three years off to address a heart condition and otherwise decompress. He also made ownership bids for the Celtics and Bobcats that fell short. Then, Walsh called again.

“Donnie asked me to come back, and I was thinking at the time, ‘Boy, I’ve come full circle. I’ve been in every situation you could be in in the NBA,’ ’’ Bird said. “I thought it was a great experience, a learning experience. It’s something I should do just to learn the ins and outs of the league.’’

The Pacers named Bird president of basketball operations in June 2003, working alongside Walsh, who for more than two decades had personified the Pacers’ front office. The next season, with Jermaine O’Neal, Ron Artest, and Al Harrington as the team’s young core and Reggie Miller its veteran leader, the Pacers won 61 games and went to the Eastern Conference finals. The Pistons prevailed in six games, but the biggest blow the Pistons dealt them didn’t come until a year later.
    The brawl at the Palace in November 2004 led to nine players being suspended or facing legal repercussions. Six of them (Artest, O’Neal, Miller, Stephen Jackson, Anthony Johnson, and David Harrison) were Pacers. Five of them — all Pacers — were charged with assault and battery and sentenced to probation. By almost every projection, the Pacers were supposed to compete for a title that season. Instead, they won 44 games. The incident blew a hole in the season and in the blueprint Walsh and Bird had crafted. More off-court episodes tarnished the team’s image locally. The franchise was backed into a corner.

“We had to move forward and break the team up,’’ Walsh said. “You don’t want to do it, but we had to do it. That set Larry back, because those guys were talented.

Page 3 of 3 --

“You go through those periods where your team is up there, then it comes down, but in that case we had a very good team and then all of a sudden, these things happen, and we had to break it apart and rebuild it. It wasn’t foreseen. It was all of a sudden, ‘Boom!’ ’’

Artest was traded to Sacramento in January 2006. Jackson and Harrington were shipped to Golden State the next year. O’Neal was dealt to Toronto in July 2008. After losing to the Nets in the first round in 2006, the Pacers missed the playoffs four straight seasons, never winning more than 36 games.

“Larry thinks if you don’t win a championship, you fail,’’ Walsh said. “So if you’re not making the playoffs, I’m sure that was very, very hard for him. That’s hard for everybody that takes a GM job. Even when you take it and you’re not expected to make the playoffs, once the season begins you don’t want to be losing games and going through that period where you almost know you’re going to be losing games.

“It takes a toll on you. You know it’s up to you. You’ve got to do it. You’ve got to get the team back up again. And in that sense, there’s pressure. Larry, his whole life in basketball there’s been pressure on him, and he’s got a unique ability to put that out there. He doesn’t allow it to affect how he feels, at least as far as I know. I wish I was as good [at that].’’

It’s in his blood Bird has spent time away from the game, but never for long. He doesn’t expect the next time he steps away to be another hiatus.

“It’s tough after a while to not be involved, but I’m a little bit older now,’’ he said. “I’ve been in this league for 31 years, so it’ll be tough, but we’ll see what happens.’’

It takes a certain type of player to want to get into coaching, and a certain type to want to go into the front office. It’s rare to do both.

“There are others who have done it,’’ Walsh said. “Pat Riley has done it, Jerry West has done it, and Larry Bird has done it. But that’s the kind of company he’s in. I think he deserves to be in that company, which is why I think he should keep going, because I think he’ll have great teams there if he stays there.’’

Walsh, who when his contract expires at the end of the month is leaving as president of the Knicks, wants Bird to see it through. The Pacers have a new core of young talent, last week picking up the team options on point guard Darren Collison and their last two first-round picks, Tyler Hansbrough and Paul George.

On draft night last week, Bird acquired Spurs guard George Hill, saying, “We’re a better team tonight than we were yesterday.’’

This past season, the Pacers made their first playoff appearance since 2006. They were eliminated in five games in the first round by the top-seeded Bulls, but all but one of those games was decided by single digits.

Making the playoffs, Walsh said, “I think it meant everything to him.’’

Walsh is in Bird’s ear, reminding him this is the turning point.

“As a guy who works in the game, I want to see him stay because I know how hard it was to go through the periods he went through, and he did it with grace and he did it with dignity,’’ Walsh said. “Now all of a sudden he’s on the verge of having a very good situation and I’d like to see him get some enjoyment out of that before he goes.

“I hope he rethinks all that. I told him I hope he stays in Indiana, because he’s come through the tough things and now it’s perched to have good things and I hope he’s around to enjoy them because he deserves it.’’

Julian Benbow can be reached at jbenbow@globe.com.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 06-27-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

I've been saying it for years, Bird gonna buy this team in the near future.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope so, but I didn't get that from the article. Is that just what you think or am I missing a reference?

I need bigger font pleas...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was a great article. Reading that was a great start for my week.

Good read. I know he's only got a one-year contract and he doesn't want anything long-term, but I really get the impression that this might be the last year for him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBird
    “They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor. I was leaving, but he asked me to stay, and I will and I’ll get the job done.
    So Larry is just staying as a favor to Mr. Simon? That's a lot different than what I thought his reason for staying was and I guess Larry will be gone this time next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I enjoyed the article but one line made me cringe a little:

"They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season"

Focusing on that statement may take us on a tangent, but...It makes it sound like next year is pretty much written off as a season to be ruined by the lockout, no matter what, from management's perspective.

2011-2012: The lockout season

One would hope that there is a way to work this out, but I fear what missing half a seaon or more will do to the popularity of the league.

I could see that happening, if not the Pacers another team. It's the one thing left he hasn't done in BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I hope so, but I didn't get that from the article. Is that just what you think or am I missing a reference?
    No nothing concrete that points to Bird being the future owner, but Bird is a man of integrity and common sense. I don't believe he would accept another year on the job as a favor to the owner to see it through the lock out. Thats makes no sense, no President wants to be the seat warmer for a year, I'd think Larry would've rather said I'll find you a guy to take my place here. I don't want to be a seat warmer and make coaching decisions only to leave next year. I mean honestly Bird being here for only one more year and making all these decisions and essentially everyone on the staff has a one year contract with Simon again? If Bird is already building the new team why would he hand it over to some body else unless it was to be Morway? Why would another GM be attracted this job if the coach is already in place? If a long term FA is signed this off season? If a good chunk of the FA money is already spent?

It just makes me think that Larry plans to be around here in some form of leadership for many many years from now.

I would just think hanging around for another year in such a critical time would be very damaging to the team's short and far off future.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I need bigger font pleas...
    No.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I enjoyed the article but one line made me cringe a little:

"They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season"

Focusing on that statement may take us on a tangent, but...It makes it sound like next year is pretty much written off as a season to be ruined by the lockout, no matter what, from management's perspective.

2011-2012: The lockout season

One would hope that there is a way to work this out, but I fear what missing half a seaon or more will do to the popularity of the league.
    I take it just to mean a shortened season. It's not really a "season" if there's a full lockout.

He'd have to get some LARGE backing from others in order to do it. The team would sell for a lot more money than he's made.

Also, did anyone else get the idea that it sounds like Bird is just doing everyone a favor by being around.

"They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor. I was leaving, but he asked me to stay"

“I sort of did it as a favor for Donnie Walsh"

That just strikes me the wrong way.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lafayettepacer View Post
    Good read. I know he's only got a one-year contract and he doesn't want anything long-term, but I really get the impression that this might be the last year for him.

I thought that was indicated in the article, but then "a year isn't very long" and things change.

I enjoyed this article. It gave me some insight into Bird.

I like the last sentence about now things are "perched".

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    So Larry is just staying as a favor to Mr. Simon? That's a lot different than what I thought his reason for staying was and I guess Larry will be gone this time next year.
    Yeah. That is a lot different from wanting to find out if the owner will let him spend the money, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    He'd have to get some LARGE backing from others in order to do it. The team would sell for a lot more money than he's made.

Also, did anyone else get the idea that it sounds like Bird is just doing everyone a favor by being around.

"They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor. I was leaving, but he asked me to stay"

“I sort of did it as a favor for Donnie Walsh"

That just strikes me the wrong way.
    I agree, but I think it would be very easy for a man of Bird's caliber to form a buying group where he is the principal decision maker for it all. Especially to buy a team that will have ideally fixed and made profitable again.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 06-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Banned

“Larry thinks if you don’t win a championship, you fail,’’
    I wonder why Larry is saying this, he should enjoy every losing year, MAKING IT TO THE PLAYOFFS AND GETTING OUT IN THE 1ST ROUND IS NOT A LOSERS ATTITUTED LARRY, WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO BE LIKE THE CUBS? ..............

"They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor" sounds extremely selfless to me. Does it rub you the wrong way when people do favors for you?

That's a great article that fills some gaps with other key stories. The Boston Globe writers always do a good job with Larry.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

No nothing concrete that points to Bird being the future owner,

About 5 years ago a poster on either PD or RATS, who supposedly had inside info, stated there was a deal in place that when the Simons wanted to sell the Pacers that they would sell the Pacers to Bird.

Another poster stated Bird didn't have the finances to be able to own a NBA team. That he failed in previous attempts b/c of it.

I have no idea if either is true, just posts that I remember about Bird owning a NBA team. I wiil say that if Bird should ever become the owner of the Pacers that I believe he will be a better owner than MJ.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    "They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor" sounds extremely selfless to me. Does it rub you the wrong way when people do favors for you?

That's a great article that fills some gaps with other key stories. The Boston Globe writers always do a good job with Larry.

When I read that part, my impression was that it's b/c Simon is moving forward in a process for a ownership change.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

In regards to Bird thinking that he will be staying on for 1 more year, I will say what I said before.....if Bird wanted to stay on....I wanted him to stay on for the long term.

The reason I bring this up is because the Team is in the PERFECT position this offseason to commit to a long-term vision for the Team, roster, Coach and Front Office. If Bird leaves in a year or even two....the proverbial "ship" will have been committed to a certain course with a Captain ( Vogel ) pointing the "ship" in a direction. Whose to say that Bird's replacement won't want to come in and want to bring in his own "Captain" much less plot a new course for the ship when resources and assets has already been committed to go in a certain direction?

To me, it's more of a commitment for the long term to establish a long-term vision then commit and implement that vision over the next 3-4 years. None of this "I will stay this one season and then see what happens from there" stuff.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I wiil say that if Bird should ever become the owner of the Pacers that I believe he will be a better owner than MJ.
    Woah...no need to set the bar that low
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

I know I'm looking into this to far, But would this selling/buying have anything to do with some of the other decisions that had been set in place and not been concluded. Like all the coaches and most all contracts with personal. I heard that scouts, doctors, all sorts of office workers contracts was up. Maybe, it was just set this way cause of the CBA or because the insight of the team regrouping in the same coming year as the CBA, making it a target year.

There has been talk for the past several years that they may move and Simon couldn't keep the finacial loss up. Maybe they are fixing to pack up after the CBA is resolved or after this coming year is over. Maybe they are fixing to just sell. I will be more relieved if they hire the coaches before the lockout happens. It actually make sense for Larry not to sign a contract, not knowing the future of the Pacers. I have to stop here and go do something...I'm just getting myself worked up now!

Mood

I was just struck by the fact that he only came back because Simon asked him to. I thought he would only be back if he wanted to on his own, not because someone asked. I also thought he would be here for a few more years. This article makes me think he already has one foot out the door.

Still, I trust him to not half-*** it; while he holds the position, it'll be business as usual.

I agree with Donnie, though. I think it'd be better for him to enjoy the good years after so many tough times.

Also, if Bird is gone next summer, I wonder if Simon would ask Walsh to come back?

More likely, assuming the relationship is healthy, I'd expect Simon to promote Morway to President of Basketball Operations.