Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depth!!

Default Depth!!

That's what Larry wanted to improve this year and we got of to one hell of a start getting one of the better 6th men in the league. Enough with all this talk about "should hill start" talk and so on. The man is a combo guard for a reason. He could start the 1 or 2 cause of injury but should be the first one coming of the bench in a reguar situation and hell of a spark. We all know the only thing we need is some front court depth and that's what we should be focused on. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Go Pacers

Default Re: Depth!!

I'm am of the thinking that Collison will start, but Hill Will finish, his size and length and ability to create off the dribble will come in handy at the end of games. I don't see how you don't have Hill in at the end of the game.

Hill
    George
    Granger
    Hansbrough
    Hibbert

Great crunch time line up. Several guys can get to the line, Hibbert's Jump hook is unblockable. Great defense against penetrators.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Yeah there should be times where Hill gets more minute because of defensive match ups.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibbert's Jump hook is unblockable.
    It gets blocked pretty often by Roy's shadow.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Our depth is fine. we need our young guys (DC/George/Hibbert) to keep improving, Granger to play like he did in playoffs/MIP year, and in my opinion we need a quality starting PF as well. Tyler and Hill off the bench would guarantee a Pacer is going to get 6th man of the year award

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I tried posting an in depth analysis.. very similar too this thread but didnt have any luck for some reason. Maybe I can post this message.

I think Carl Landry is the FA Bird is going too target this offseason. No link, just a hunch. We can then save the remaining cap space for Gordon in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Our depth is fine. we need our young guys (DC/George/Hibbert) to keep improving, Granger to play like he did in playoffs/MIP year, and in my opinion we need a quality starting PF as well. Tyler and Hill off the bench would guarantee a Pacer is going to get 6th man of the year award
    Well needing our young core to keep improving is a given, but Bird states he wanted the best bench in the NBA. So depth IMO is a very big issue. And yes I also agree we need a PF and Hans would be great as a backup/ sparkplug

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    I tried posting an in depth analysis.. very similar too this thread but didnt have any luck for some reason.

Same here. I spent a great deal of time putting a long lengthy post together earlier on another thread only to not get to post it. I just figured the problem was on my end. Apparently not.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird tried trading for Landry last season.. during the trade deadline and NO's got him for Thorton i believe.

So we know Bird has interest in Carl Landry. He is basicallly a younger version of David West and may come much cheaper.

Is Landry from Indiana.. ?? we may end up having like 5 or 6 guys from Indy as our core here very soon.. lol. add Oden and Gordon too the mix.

but in all seriousness, if Landry is the PF Bird targets.. would you all consider it a good/bad move?

I like Landrys game, its obvious in the right system he can excel.. but he is sorta undersized as far as PF's go, and we already have one undersized PF in Tyler.

I would be cool with a frontcourt rotation as follows:

PF: Landry, Hansbrough, McBob
    C: Hibbert, Foster, McBob, Stanko

would be a nice move for the right price.

we dont need anymore depth we need some star power. whether that be one of our young guys deciding to step up or a free agent (obviously not this year). but we def need a starting PF i just hope we dont give whoever we get to big of a contract

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHale For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MrHale View Post
    we dont need anymore depth we need some star power. whether that be one of our young guys deciding to step up or a free agent (obviously not this year). but we def need a starting PF i just hope we dont give whoever we get to big of a contract
    agreed.. but the star power is not coming this offseason. lack of stars in FA and the CBA lockout looming.

Landry will be the extent of FA spending this offseason and thats the right move. Save the majority of spending on next offseasons FA class.

2011 projected roster:

PG: DC, Hill, Price, Stephenson

SG: Hill, George, DJ, Stephenson

SF: Granger, George

PF: Landry, Hansbrough, McBob

C: Hibbert, Foster, McBob, Stanko

Posey will be bought out, and I dont think Rush will be here. just a hunch on Landry but I think he will be added for the right price. How does that roster look going into 2011... with 20+Million too spend in the next FA offseason.

I'm not disagreeing about an upgrade at the PF. I really would like to get Millsap and have said so in prior posts. I love Hans but Millsap and Hans rotation would be sick

one long Grimp-season ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Landry is from Milwaukee and went to Purdue.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

I don't get the Landry fixation. He's a good player, but not the guy we need. He'd be great off the bench if we didn't already have Tyler in that role.

We need a defensive glass-eater who can keep defenses honest.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan83 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing about an upgrade at the PF. I really would like to get Millsap and have said so in prior posts. I love Hans but Millsap and Hans rotation would be sick
    I think most posters would like Milsap but its going to cost and a few teams will be able to out bid us in a trade for his services.

This team needs an injection of attitude and I know this person has been mentioned before but I will keep on mentioning him.

IF Tyson Chandler can play pf then I think you go after him with a big contract. I am not sure if he can but teams like the little old Lakers have made a big line up work and I think he is the best fit for a BIG lineup to dominate the paint.

Chandler would be the tone setter and physical presence that would unite this team on the defensive end. That is exactly what we need IMO.

The biggest reason that I would pay him big bucks is that he is worth 2 contracts IF he can play the pf position.

I can't think of another guy that could come in and play the startig pf/backup center role at a high level like Chandler. I know many of you think Nene can but I don't.

MOst of the suggestion are good and I have made some of the same ones but Chandler is by the toughest guy we could go after this season and probably the biggest change in the Mavs lineup that changed their post season this year from seasons past.

My biggest hope is that the new CBA takes away Dallas's chances of resigning him.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Landry would be wasted money - he's another backup level player. We have plenty of those. He doesn't even upgrade an existing weakness. If they acquire someone below starter level, he needs to at least provide an element they are missing - toughness and rebounding. They were manhandled inside in the Chicago series. If nothing else is available, then sit on the money. Keep the flexibility until it can be used wisely.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=rm1369;1259095]

he's another backup level player. /QUOTE]

Bird just traded for what you described.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I agree that he Pacers need another PF. They need a player that can rebound and play "D". Varejao meets these requirements to a T. Plus he can play b/u Center, something too many on this board are under the misconception he can. ( McBob can't play "D" well enough for a center, and he has no bttb game either.) Andy would work well a a PF next to Hibbert and as a Center next to Hans. To me, he's the X-factor T-Bird alluded to numerous times.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I don't get the Landry fixation. He's a good player, but not the guy we need. He'd be great off the bench if we didn't already have Tyler in that role.

We need a defensive glass-eater who can keep defenses honest.
    ?

(yes i know what you meant, but couldnt resist teh DEFENSIVE GLASS pun)
    Last edited by daschysta; 06-26-2011 at 07:15 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan83 View Post
    Well needing our young core to keep improving is a given, but Bird states he wanted the best bench in the NBA. So depth IMO is a very big issue. And yes I also agree we need a PF and Hans would be great as a backup/ sparkplug
    Just because Bird says something doesn't make it true. It is not a bad thing to improve the bench, in fact it is a good thing, but we already had a pretty good bench. According to unit +/- our second best unit was Price, Rush, Granger, McRoberts, and Foster.

but in all seriousness, if Landry is the PF Bird targets.. would you all consider it a good/bad move?
    In my opinion it would be a lateral move. I would rather give McRoberts a chance.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

If we are getting a big, let's get someone who has legit size and isn't going to get pushed around.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

getting Landry would improve our bench regardless of who starts... therefore making us a better team. it isnt that complicated.

Sports Logo

But Landry would demand money and he isn't all that good. If we're gonna overpay someone, I'd rather overpay a guy like Nene or David West or even take on a bad contract like Blatche, not waste cash on a guy who won't make us better

I am going to be enjoying myself when this power forward comes in that is suppose to replace Hansbrough in the starting line up. If he gets the job done I predict it will not last a month before Tyler will be back as a starter.

That said I do like Tyler as a bench player in that there are too many guys on the starting unit trying to be scorers as is. Not enough of a basketball there for Granger, Hibbert, and Collison as it is. If Tyler goes to the bench it will end up like it did last year for a time when our bench outplayed our starters to the point that some of the bench ended the year as starters.

If Tyler and Hill are both a part of the bench next year then it will be a repeat of last year in that respect - go in to rescue the mess the starters have made. Good luck with that new power forward guys. For me seeing is believing and who knows I have had to eat my words before so maybe you are right and I am wrong. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerHound View Post
    I am going to be enjoying myself when this power forward comes in that is suppose to replace Hansbrough in the starting line up. If he gets the job done I predict it will not last a month before Tyler will be back as a starter.
    I agree with you on someone like Carl Landry, but if we were to get a prize like Nene, there's little chance that Hansbrough sees the starting lineup again if not for injury.

I tried posting an in depth analysis.. very similar too this thread but didnt have any luck for some reason. Maybe I can post this message.

I think Carl Landry is the FA Bird is going too target this offseason. No link, just a hunch. We can then save the remaining cap space for Gordon in 2012.
    I hope you are correct regarding Landry. If I were Bird I would try to acquire Gordon after a CBA is finalized perhaps this summer. Granger will soon lose his trade value.