Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: I want a laptop.

Default OT: I want a laptop.

The problem is, I don't want one that badly. Anything over $1000 I won't even look at, and I'd like to go lower.

I can't seem to go much lower. I guess laptops are still considered a "luxury" rather than "commodity" item, as they're still priced way to high in my opinion.

Anybody buy a laptop recently? Any brands/models/suppliers to stay away from?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: OT: I want a laptop.

I just bought one... check out www.velocitymicro.com

They have really good deals (I don't know about anything under 1000 though...)
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought one in August. Works fine for me, but I'm a poor college student who couldn't afford a really nice one.
    Specs?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

you could goto Ebay , or Dell Sells alot of there old Leases Laptops , there pretty nice also ..I have one and you should be able to get a nice one for under 1,000.00

No it's not gonna be a P4 or anything like that , but I seen some at dell around 2 ghz for about 750.00 and that's pretty fast. I also have a old 300mhz Toshiba and it cooks for only 300mhz.

The one I have from dell is :

Dell Inspiron 4150 Notebook Internet Ready 2.2GHz Intel Pentium IV Processor 256MB RAM 20GB Hard Drive DVD/CDRW Combo Drive 56K Modem 10/100 Network Card 1.44MB Floppy Sound And Video 14.1 Inch Active Matrix Display

Paid $750.00 plus shipping
    [edit=279=1098093536][/edit]

My last 4 or 5 laptops have been Dells. I like them. Only had one problem - the screen on the last one of mine went out right when the warranty was up. I was kinda pissed, but I guess not *that* pissed since I bought another one.

They have good sales with discounts and rebates occasionally. I don't know of any now, but I'll keep my eye out for you.

My current Dell is a 9100. Very powerful, but I wouldn't recommend it due to its enormous size.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I had to buy an apple iBook G4 as an ElEd major at BSU, and after I've gotten used to the differences between macOS and Windows, it's pretty nice.

btw, I love wireless internet.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just got a new laptop last week. $1,059 and only $5.99 shipping and no tax.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...115-142&depa=3

It's a Acer, years ago I know they did suck. I have been looking for the last 6+ months and this Laptop had the most features for the cheapest price. Dell, IBM, Toshiba all would have cost around $1,800 for the same hardware. I was kinda expecting to be disappointed, but this is a awesome Laptop. If you have any questions about it, let me know.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

db530

btowncolt - are you at iu?

Acer has worked itself int he top ranking as far as quality and features is concerned, thankfully their price remains "friendly".

I would go for one of those

(I use one and use is underrated for what I do with it, it is now 18 months old, P4 2.4 Ghz. 60Gb 512 Mb and no those are not standard specs, certainly not 18 months ago and it has made me more happy then any Sony, Tosh, or IBM I had before, Dell I don't even discuss, you have a happy experience, but in general you will be screwed. unless as saucy did, lease returns, they offer value for money.)

forget the "build-in" wireless as important, an nice PCMCIA wireless card (try and go for the Orinoco/Lucent, there simply is no better) will set you no more back then $ 30 nad gives you a better quality.)

What do i consider work? my notebook has seen a lot of diferent environments, is used about 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, my "mouse" buttons are black instead of silver and certain keys are faded as well, that's how much it is used, zipping between XP and Linux on wired, wireless, dialup and adls modems.
    It has mroe then 30 preset connections and over 100 shares set up, yes it is a work horse and still runs beautifull, only had to replace the battery last week, but that is normal for the usage that had seen.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I've worked with quite a few Workstation type laplops over the last couple of years and as far as those go, I tend to prefer the Dell models over the IBM, Compaq (HP), Fujitsu or NEC ones that I've had experiences with. The panels tend to be larger and the keyboard seems to have a more "normal" spacing for the layout (which means heavier but I'd rather have a bit heavier mobile system than one that feels cramped). I realize that Dell has tradionally kicked everyone else's butt in tech support but I don't know if that's true anymore. For the price range you are looking at I'm not real sure where to go. You can certainly get top name OEM systems that cheap, but I'd tend to agree with Able and say you'd get a better deal for your money with someone like Acer. And you know how to take care of your computer so you shouldn't need the tech support costs that would be bundled in with your laptop if it were a Dell or a Compaq. My $0.02.

Mood

No Offense , but I wouldn't own a acer , I know when I worked in a Electronics store Acer was the Most Returned outta all the Computers , only think that keeps them in the market is there price.

Best Laptops I have owned are Toshiba and Dell , Now I have owned a Sony , There nice and reliable but the price I feel is way over inflated cause it's Sony , but there well worth it.

Also agree with Able , get yourself a nice PCMCIA wireless card , much better.

I'd go with the Acer.. I did a lot of research before buying my laptop... Acer was my second choice... I would avoid the Dells.. They seemed to have the most tech support issues that were left unresolved.
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Doug pointed this out, which has me intrigued.

"Starts Tomorrow 10/19 6:00am CST. Dell Home has code ZD5$P0NS954P16 for $750 off $1500 on select Inspiron notebook. Valid through 10/20 5:59am CST.

May not be combinable with Deals of the Week, dollars off, percentages off or select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. "

I've been putting together a package that I like (I'd like it more if I could get Athlon instead of Intel), but I'm struggling with the wireless bit... can anybody tell me about what differentiates these?
    - Dell® Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) [add $26 or $1/month1]
    - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) [add $35 or $1/month1]
    - Dell® Wireless 1450 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) [add $44 or $1/month1]

I don't need 802.11a, but what's the diff between the other two? Any idea? Am I better off just buying a PMCIA Linksys card or something?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    I'd go with the Acer.. I did a lot of research before buying my laptop... Acer was my second choice... I would avoid the Dells.. They seemed to have the most tech support issues that were left unresolved.
    I have owned around 10 Dell Home Pc's over the years , Kids machines , and Laptops ..Had 2 issues

Video Card on 1 and the modem on another , called them up and they next dair aired me replacements and even sent me prepaid postage to mail back the bad parts. I still have 5 Dell Machines running various speeds from 366 mhz to 1 ghz and they all run great.

Dells problem is they offer those cheap PC's which attracts newbie PC people who do things that they shouldn't do

Also when I was in the hosting a data storage bussiness I used Dell Poweredge servers owned over 200 of them at one time , rarely had a major issue. I Realize no company is perfect there is gonna be good and bad , but overall Dell has treated me right when I used them and had a issue , they always went above and beyond for me.

Remember the old saying , you get what you pay for you wanna buy a 500.00 pc your gonna get a 500.00 pc with cheap parts. Don't buy a KIA when you want a BMW

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Doug pointed this out, which has me intrigued.

"Starts Tomorrow 10/19 6:00am CST. Dell Home has code ZD5$P0NS954P16 for $750 off $1500 on select Inspiron notebook. Valid through 10/20 5:59am CST.

May not be combinable with Deals of the Week, dollars off, percentages off or select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. "

I've been putting together a package that I like (I'd like it more if I could get Athlon instead of Intel), but I'm struggling with the wireless bit... can anybody tell me about what differentiates these?
    - Dell® Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) [add $26 or $1/month1]
    - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) [add $35 or $1/month1]
    - Dell® Wireless 1450 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) [add $44 or $1/month1]

I don't need 802.11a, but what's the diff between the other two? Any idea? Am I better off just buying a PMCIA Linksys card or something?
    PMCIA Linksys card would be the best route , just my opinion.

Hmmm , I may have to get me a new laptop , that's a pretty good deal , runs off to the Dell site.

[edit=279=1098179512][/edit]

It's worth noting that the built-in wireless cards generally aren't natively supported under Linux. They are some wrappers and stuff that some people report work, but I haven't tried them. Not sure if you care about running Linux on it or not.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My new ACER laptop has the Intel Pro 2200BG Mini PCI card, it is replaceable when better technology comes along. It's the first wireless device I've had of any kind and it works great with my Linksys WRV54G router.

I've have 4 Dell Desktops and love'd them all. I would have bought a Dell laptop, but I couldn't get the features I wanted close to the Acer price. I've only had it a week but I'm very happy with the Acer.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Well, so much for that. I had planned on doing the $750 off deal. I built it over lunch and was going to buy it after work, but they cut the promo short after noon pacific.

I had a Inspiron8600 w/ an ATI 9600/120mb graphics card and 512 of ram, and I would have been right around $900. But Dell had to screw with the promo. I tried upgrading other models, but I need a better graphics card than they're offering. So much for that.

If anyone sees a great deal on a laptops, please bump this thread.

Enjoy your time at PD!

No offense but I think SONY makes really crappy computers. They're nice for about a year before they start going to hell.

I've like the Dell laptops I've had, liked the Compaqs. Don't care for the IBMs or the NECs. Fujitsu was alright. I don't have a beef with Dell on their quality though I've had a couple of issues: most recent one being the mobo on a PWS350 died after 1.25 years - Intel produced board, not a cheap part but this is also a workstation class machine so people expect that - that was probably more of a fluke than anything.

Mood

Well I am sure everyone has diffrent experinces with each PC , I have actually owned 2 Sony PC 's which I still have 1 desktop that is a Pentuim 200 and I run linux on it , never had a piece of hardware failure til this day , my laptop I sold off for a dell , because the job I worked at was buying at the time

Well I got me a Sweet Deal , on a Dell 9100

Dell Inspiron 9100
    Pentium 3.20 w/ HT and 15.4 in WSXGA+
    Windows XP Pro
    512MB DDR PC3200 Free upgrade from 256MB
    64MB ATI Mobility 9700 AGP
    24X CD-RW/DVD combo
    60GB Hard Drive

1590 - 750 = 840 +tax and free shipping.

Coulda got a 128 mb video card for about 100.00 more but I don't really need that much of a video card on my laptop and I couldn't justify the extra 100.00

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    Well I am sure everyone has diffrent experinces with each PC , I have actually owned 2 Sony PC 's which I still have 1 desktop that is a Pentuim 200 and I run linux on it , never had a piece of hardware failure til this day , my laptop I sold off for a dell , because the job I worked at was buying at the time

Well I got me a Sweet Deal , on a Dell 9100

Dell Inspiron 9100
    Pentium 3.20 w/ HT and 15.4 in WSXGA+
    Windows XP Pro
    512MB DDR PC3200 Free upgrade from 256MB
    64MB ATI Mobility 9700 AGP
    24X CD-RW/DVD combo
    60GB Hard Drive

1590 - 750 = 840 +tax and free shipping.

Coulda got a 128 mb video card for about 100.00 more but I don't really need that much of a video card on my laptop and I couldn't justify the extra 100.00
    That's pretty much the same laptop I bought 4 months ago for almost twice that. Actually, yours is a little better CPU, but I've got a DVD burner and bumped it up to 1 Gig of RAM via crucial

FYI: It has the Worlds Biggest Power Brick!

- Jimmy Buffett

Oh, and Anthem, bummer they pulled the deal early. I've seen them have pretty good specials before, but nothing every like that one.

- Jimmy Buffett

Mood

No they didn't pull the deal , they sold outta stock of alot of the models , last I knew ..I think the XPS one's are still on deal but the 9100's went fast

I''ll agree though it's not going to be a light laptop , power brick about sums it up

All right, another question for the experts. I'm an AMD man, and haven't built on Intel in at least 4 years. On laptops, though, Intel seems to be much more prevalent. Somebody help me understand the difference between Pentium4-M and Celeron.

I understand that the Pentium is the high-powered chip and the Celeron is the budget chip. What's the relative performance difference, though, between a Pentium4-M 1.5Ghz and a Celeron 2.4Ghz? Any advice would be great.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Celeron is like a AMD Duron , I wouldn't get a Celeron personally , but hey ..I feel ya on the AMD part also. I haven't had a Intel Desktop since a P3 450 , been using AMD ever since , but the Intels seem better on Laptops and don't ask me why