Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 106

Thread: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

  1. #51
    Member beezer615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    You know that every player on this team has come under Bird's watch right? And that he brought us every vital player on a playoff qualifying team, non of which we are losing this year? And that he significantly improved our backcourt and bench and local interest in a trade that cost us an offensively-challenged POTENTIAL grab who fills the same spot as our 2 best players (DG, PG) and 2011 and 2005 second rounders? And that he s#!^$ gold?

    Yeah, what a terrible guy.

  2. #52
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saying Leonard wouldnt have fit in with this team was completely wrong.

    If we wouldve kept Leonard, he woud've played the primary back up to Granger and at the 4. Saying he wouldnt have fit in when all we have is Posey who can back up the 3 and the 4 is wrong.

    Leonard was lottery talent. If it wasnt for the trade between the Bucks, Bobcats, and Kings and players slipping he would have gone top 10. The bobcats would have been a perfect fit, but 2 top 5 projected point guards fell to them and they chose Kemba Walker as they should have.

    I don't think a team who just won 37 games for 12th worst in the league should be in win now mode. Hill is going to be a free agent after next year anyway.

    I'm in middle about this trade. What worries me is what if Hill is just a system guy.
    First of all he wouldn't have been playing the four at all, he's a three. Second, Granger is mostly a 3, third, Marcus and Markieff (a 3 and 4) got picked right before Kawhi, indicating teams thought they were better even though Kawhi was a "lottery" selection (Marcus plays exactly the same role as Kawhi). Also, Hill isn't a free agent, he's a restricted free agent.
    Danger Zone

  3. #53
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,367

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Not really a productive thread...riddled with contradictions.

    He tells to get young - yet we're drafting players every year.
    He tells us that no one will come to Indiana - yet we need young players to attract FAs.
    He tells us to trade - yet points out we don't have assets to trade.

    In summary, draft young, groom them, then trade them to get old players.

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    193

    Unhappy Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really a productive thread...riddled with contradictions.

    He tells to get young - yet we're drafting players every year.
    He tells us that no one will come to Indiana - yet we need young players to attract FAs.
    He tells us to trade - yet points out we don't have assets to trade.

    In summary, draft young, groom them, then trade them to get old players.
    Let's see we didn't draft anyone this year. We drafted about 3-4 4 year players almost back to back. I never said that we need to get young to attract FA's. The only way we attract FA's is if we get a couple star players and FA's think they have a legitimate chance for a ring. I also said the only way we get said star players is by trading for them however we do not have enough young talent to swing a deal. People think we can just trade AJ and Rush and get a good player and that is just comical. So by saying this thread is not productive is ignoring the issues we face going forward.

    On a side note I have noticed how so many people said this was a weak draft a few weeks ago and then as it got closer to the draft almost everyone said it had really good depth and had a number of starters in the first 20 picks, then we trade out of the draft and it immediately becomes a weak draft again. It is amazing how so many people buy into the hype that the Pacers build. People want to talk about contradictions well I think Bird is the one most guilty of that.

  5. #55
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    So 14 teams passed on Leonard, in favor of 14 other rookies in a bad draft, but I'm supposed to believe he's the make or break piece in a trade for CP3 or Dwight Howard?


  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  7. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    If Hibbert gets extended for DG money, it will be a sign and trade to another team. I think the pacers would be the last team to overvalue the 7 footer they've watched develop...just thought I'd throw that out there.

  8. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So 14 teams passed on Leonard, in favor of 14 other rookies in a bad draft, but I'm supposed to believe he's the make or break piece in a trade for CP3 or Dwight Howard?

    Yea and like the 17th pick will ever be an all-star. I mean really 16 teams pass on a guy and I am suspose to think he will be an all star someday?

    I never said Leonard will be a make or break piece but he would at least be part of a bigger trade.

    I mean who would have thought Timofey Mozgov would be the make or break player in the Carmelo Anthony trade? You never know what other GM's see in other players so the more assets you have the more likely you can get a big trade done.

  9. #58

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What am I re-nigging on exactly? Those guys are going to get paid by somebody? Be it us or somebody else?

    Surely you aren't thinking that these guys plan on staying in Indy for league minimum money?

    Hibby is going to be looking for 5-50 to 5-65
    Hill is going to be looking for 5-30 to 5-45

    I like both players for the record. Still going to be some tough decisions to make going forward?
    This to me is a valid concern but I want to point something out that I think is getting overlooked.

    Right now there are only 8 teams anywhere near what the owners would like a hard cap or a flex cap to be at (~58 mill) and out of those 8 the majority have RFA of their own that they have to worry about.

    So here is the bottom line. The 2011/12 FA market sucks no doubt about it and its a terrible year for us to have all this money. That being said the 2012/13 is probably the best year to resign your own RFA's in the last decade if not in the history of the modern NBA...

    Other teams won't have the money to offer big contracts to Roy or Hill so my prediction is that we will be under those projected numbers of yours by a large margin.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 06-24-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I am tired..

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  11. #59
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFreak31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea and like the 17th pick will ever be an all-star. I mean really 16 teams pass on a guy and I am suspose to think he will be an all star someday?

    I never said Leonard will be a make or break piece but he would at least be part of a bigger trade.

    I mean who would have thought Timofey Mozgov would be the make or break player in the Carmelo Anthony trade? You never know what other GM's see in other players so the more assets you have the more likely you can get a big trade done.
    Danny fell because of a knee problem. Leonard fell because it's where he should have been. I never understood why he was considered a top 10 pick by mock drafts, even in this draft.

    Regardless, you're now complaining about Bird not making moves based on GM's who you admit you'll never know what they're thinking? Doesn't that make it rather impossible? Doesn't that mean it's just as likely they'd want George Hill, because you never know, right?

    Your complaints just don't make much sense.

  12. #60
    Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    515
    Mood

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFreak31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never said Leonard will be a make or break piece but he would at least be part of a bigger trade.

    I mean who would have thought Timofey Mozgov would be the make or break player in the Carmelo Anthony trade? You never know what other GM's see in other players so the more assets you have the more likely you can get a big trade done.
    Moving one asset for another doesn't necessarily take away your options.

    George Hill still has value as a trade asset as well if there is a deal to be made.

  13. #61
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,607

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFreak31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See Peck this is where I think most people are getting lost on my comments. I don't think that Leonard is a good fit for our team. However if we are ever going to trade for a star player it will take guys like Leonard to pull it off. If say we had Danny and someone like Howard or CP3 then I would actually like this trade but again we need as many assets as we can get in order to trade for a star. I never said Leonard would be a good fit but he would be a piece to a bigger trade that could get us a star player.
    What makes Leonard any more of an asset than Roy Hibbert? Or Darren Collison? Or Tyler Hansbrough?

    You don't think Danny with Roy & D.C. & Posey's expiring & a draft pick couldn't get you what you would get with Leonard? BTW I'm not advocating that trade or saying it would work I'm just pointing out that the assets you want already exist.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  14. #62
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    I was happy at the moment when we drafted Kawhi Leonard just because he was in so many mock drafts to be a top pick.

    I never knew why though? No one really ever mentioned anything about him or why he was projected to go that high. Kind of like Jerryd Bayless.

  15. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes Leonard any more of an asset than Roy Hibbert? Or Darren Collison? Or Tyler Hansbrough?

    You don't think Danny with Roy & D.C. & Posey's expiring & a draft pick couldn't get you what you would get with Leonard? BTW I'm not advocating that trade or saying it would work I'm just pointing out that the assets you want already exist.
    You bring up a good point. One thing I would say is that I do actually like some of the core group of guys we have but I think Tyler is an off the bench player, Roy just needs to be consistent, Collison is good but he regressed some this past year. So yes we do have assets to make such a trade but the more you have the less of your core you would have to give up. I also just want to throw this out there. Why not keep Leonard and trade Granger? You could probably get some good young players around the same age as PG and then they could all grow together. I really have this fear that the Miami Heat will be what the Bulls and Lakers were to the Pacers. The Pacers might be able to put together a good team but I don't see them overtaking the Heat until about 5 years from now after the Heat have aged.

    Everyone wants to talk about how good we played the Bulls and yes we did play them well. However, the team we have to start trying to focus on is the Heat because last time I checked they destroyed the Bulls and won the series 4 games to 1. I do apologize if I want a championship from the Pacers too badly. I just don't see the direction we are going as a plan to beat the Heat. I guess that is just the way I think which might be a flaw of mine. I am always thinking ahead and I know the Heat for the next 5 years will pretty much at least be in the ECF every year barring injury. Then you have the Knicks that now have their two superstars and looking to add one more. The Nets have one and will be looking to add another. So where does that leave us? It just seems like we are more worried about having the best bench in the league than actually caring about the guys that will be playing the majority of the game minutes. What do we think we are going to do, wear the Heat, Knicks, ect down to where they will actually be tired... Those type of guys are in great shape and do not wear down very easily. Well enough about this... I just have too much on my mind about the Pacers maybe I just need to take a couple days away from the computer and let everything settle. I do appreciate all of the comments on this board and in this thread even if you don't agree with me.

  16. #64
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,607

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    It's all good & yes I certainly understand that the great fear is that the Heat will be able to just year after year after year be able to win it all by bringing in good vets. willing to play for cheap to win a title.

    No they didn't win this year but in their first year together they did get to the finals so your concern is not without merit.

    However there is just no way that the Pacers are going to be able to put together a cast of all-stars to compete against them. We don't have crystal blue waters & the south beach lifestyle to make all of the high end free agents come here.

    We, just like about 20 + other NBA teams, are going to have to do this the old fashioned way through building a better team.

    Look if the only way you are going to be happy is with us going to the NBA finals I would suggest that you might want to look to another hobby. I'm 44 years old, have been a fan my entire life & I have only seen that happen once only to have the G.M. decide that getting there was not good enough & he wanted to rebuild, well here we are 11 years later & I'm now having to be satisfied that we are making the playoffs. I'm not really any more happy about that than you are, but if I want to stay sane or even slightly enjoy watching this I have to be happy that we are making moves in the right direction.

    Look I don't want you to get me wrong here, I'm not saying getting George Hill is a game changer (I'm not saying it's not either) but I think he adds more to our club right now & will for the next two to three years than anyone from this draft ever would at where we were picking.

    Now let me see if I can talk about Collison for a min.

    You say he regressed this year. Do you think there was any reason for that or is it you think as a player he has already reached his high end and is going to go backwards?

    Let me put this in your mind to think about and maybe give you some hope.

    Darren Collison started out the season under the soul crushing spirit searing ball busting coaching of Jim "Satan" O'Brien. As bad as he is with power forwards and believe me he is bad he may be worse for point guards.

    He does not believe in point guards having the ball in their hands, he wanted them to bring the ball up and pass it off and then the ball was supposed to move from side to side until someone could get a layup after all the opponents were so magically fooled by Jim's wizardry and witchcraft coaching. Never mind that it rarely if ever worked, that was his game plan and come hell or high water he was sticking to it.

    The real problem though is that every point guard worth a crap from the time they are in jr. high till the pro's learns the game with the ball in their hands. D.C. said several time's he was having a very hard time adjusting to the system.

    Low and behold Satan is exercised from the team and D.C. starts to improve, imagine that. Can you imagine how much better he will be under a coach that will let him be a p.g. and the benefit of training camp?

    Freedom brother, that is what I am talking about. Both the players and the fans have been freed of the oppression that was Satan's yoke and now we are wild stallions roaming free. Instead of the heavy hand and whip the players will now have the horse whisperer in Frank "the tank" Vogel.

    In fact I say unto you now, despair no more. Stand up, rejoice and celebrate your freedom.

    Can I get a witness & a dancing fruit here???????????



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  18. #65
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,280

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can I get a witness & a dancing fruit here???????????


    I'll give ya one better:

    BOOOOOM BABY!

    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  20. #66
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hm... I think we're pretty talented, just not top-tier talented. I do think we're a few moves away from being serious.

    I think the biggest, most important move this off-season will be the boring but crucial appointment of our coaching staff. I feel like this team has accumulated some good young talent in the past 2-3 years and, frankly, the coaching staff was just goofing off. I am anxious to see the staff that Vogel surrounds himself with. I love Vogel himself, and I'm liking the names being bandied about as his staff... so I have a feeling they're going to show us the kind of talent we actually have.

    This will change when Indiana signs Eric Gordon next season....

    And I am serious...

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo For This Useful Post:


  22. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will change when Indiana signs Eric Gordon next season....

    And I am serious...
    Dakich was talking EJ to the Pacers a lot of the show today.

  23. #68
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,821

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Darren Collison started out the season under the soul crushing spirit searing ball busting coaching of Jim "Satan" O'Brien. As bad as he is with power forwards and believe me he is bad he may be worse for point guards.

    He does not believe in point guards having the ball in their hands, he wanted them to bring the ball up and pass it off and then the ball was supposed to move from side to side until someone could get a layup after all the opponents were so magically fooled by Jim's wizardry and witchcraft coaching.
    So now you're willing to give Jamaal a pass on the Phoenix game?

    Last edited by MagicRat; 06-25-2011 at 02:28 AM.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  25. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's all good & yes I certainly understand that the great fear is that the Heat will be able to just year after year after year be able to win it all by bringing in good vets. willing to play for cheap to win a title.

    No they didn't win this year but in their first year together they did get to the finals so your concern is not without merit.

    However there is just no way that the Pacers are going to be able to put together a cast of all-stars to compete against them. We don't have crystal blue waters & the south beach lifestyle to make all of the high end free agents come here.

    We, just like about 20 + other NBA teams, are going to have to do this the old fashioned way through building a better team.

    Look if the only way you are going to be happy is with us going to the NBA finals I would suggest that you might want to look to another hobby. I'm 44 years old, have been a fan my entire life & I have only seen that happen once only to have the G.M. decide that getting there was not good enough & he wanted to rebuild, well here we are 11 years later & I'm now having to be satisfied that we are making the playoffs. I'm not really any more happy about that than you are, but if I want to stay sane or even slightly enjoy watching this I have to be happy that we are making moves in the right direction.

    Look I don't want you to get me wrong here, I'm not saying getting George Hill is a game changer (I'm not saying it's not either) but I think he adds more to our club right now & will for the next two to three years than anyone from this draft ever would at where we were picking.

    Now let me see if I can talk about Collison for a min.

    You say he regressed this year. Do you think there was any reason for that or is it you think as a player he has already reached his high end and is going to go backwards?

    Let me put this in your mind to think about and maybe give you some hope.

    Darren Collison started out the season under the soul crushing spirit searing ball busting coaching of Jim "Satan" O'Brien. As bad as he is with power forwards and believe me he is bad he may be worse for point guards.

    He does not believe in point guards having the ball in their hands, he wanted them to bring the ball up and pass it off and then the ball was supposed to move from side to side until someone could get a layup after all the opponents were so magically fooled by Jim's wizardry and witchcraft coaching. Never mind that it rarely if ever worked, that was his game plan and come hell or high water he was sticking to it.

    The real problem though is that every point guard worth a crap from the time they are in jr. high till the pro's learns the game with the ball in their hands. D.C. said several time's he was having a very hard time adjusting to the system.

    Low and behold Satan is exercised from the team and D.C. starts to improve, imagine that. Can you imagine how much better he will be under a coach that will let him be a p.g. and the benefit of training camp?

    Freedom brother, that is what I am talking about. Both the players and the fans have been freed of the oppression that was Satan's yoke and now we are wild stallions roaming free. Instead of the heavy hand and whip the players will now have the horse whisperer in Frank "the tank" Vogel.

    In fact I say unto you now, despair no more. Stand up, rejoice and celebrate your freedom.

    Can I get a witness & a dancing fruit here???????????

    You know Peck you just might be right about all of this. As someone pointed out earlier I think the Heat have more to lose with the up coming Collective Bargaining Agreement than most other teams. Maybe I am just worrying about nothing until we know exactly what is going to happen with that. The Heat might have to trade one of the big three in order to afford a bench. I guess lots can happen between now and then. I do believe getting Hill was a good trade now that I have had more time to digest everything. I do like your point about TEAM basketball beating the Heat and we saw that in the Dallas series. I also didn't realize that a lot of the Bulls players didn't have all that much playoff experience either.

    I think to some degree I am going to take back what I said about Bird. I do think we still need to take maybe one or two more chances on some young players that we have really done our homework on. However, overall I can't complain about the job he has done. I really wish we could find a PF that has as much potential as PG has (so are 29 other teams) but I think we do need a young power forward with great potential. I still don't think we are completely in WIN NOW mode but maybe we will be more so after this next season and we have another year with the same coach and players. I think this coming year (hopefully we won't have a year long lockout) will tell us more about our players than any year in the last 10 years of Pacer basketball. I am actually starting to get more and more excited about this TEAM!!!! Maybe we are just a couple solid starters away from having something special.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerFreak31 For This Useful Post:


  27. #70

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    First post here, and I'll add my two cents. I didn't like the trade at first, I thought the potential of Leonard outweighed adding Hill. But the next day I changed my mind. We already have a 3/4 tweener in Granger and a young up and comer in Paul. Leonard would have added some toughness rebounding and a bit of defense, but he would not see the floor much. He would be an asset in a couple years when I think the Pacers will really start contending. But I think hill will be a bigger asset in the long run.

    We are not in a win now situation, we are get getting closer to one, but that is a few years away. Where Hill will make his biggest contribution (IMO) is in the locker room. Hill has his stuff together. He will be a perfect leader for a young back court. He brings maturity, playoff experience, and an education in leadership from a team that has been at the top for a long time. Yet he is young enough that the other guys can relate to him.

    This post probably seems it belongs in the other thread. But my point is, The acquisition of Hill probably seems like we are in a win now situation. But I think it is another building block for Bird's ultimate goal. Building a team sans a star, then trying to lure one here through FA. So when a star steps in, they can win immediately. Hill helps us get a young back court to mature, while also being a contributing piece. We're not in a win now situation, not for a few more years. This was another building block.

    The only thing I wish they had done is try and get a pick in next years draft. That draft is going to be lights out. If they can get into the lottery, they can get the power forward they need.
    Last edited by Chromeburn; 06-25-2011 at 04:46 AM.

  28. #71
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,051
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes Leonard any more of an asset than Roy Hibbert? Or Darren Collison? Or Tyler Hansbrough?

    You don't think Danny with Roy & D.C. & Posey's expiring & a draft pick couldn't get you what you would get with Leonard? BTW I'm not advocating that trade or saying it would work I'm just pointing out that the assets you want already exist.
    To add to what PacerFreaks said, when teams trade away veterans they usually want young players who have a lot of potential because they are typically in a rebuilding process. Pretty much all the guys in the Melo trade were young Chandler was 23, Mosgrov was 24 without a whole year of experience, Dinillo was 22, Anthony Randolph was 21, Felton the oldest at 26.

    Kawhi is only 19 years old with good defense, and potential to increase his offensive game, he contributes to a team without the ball in his hands and that is key in the NBA.

    The centerpiece of all these trades for a top players is a young guy with potential, along with draft picks... Hibbert 24 is good and okay potential, Collison 23 is young but seems to have leveled of(hope I am wrong), Tyler 25.. I don't think so... I feel all would be good assets in a trade but do to Kawhi's age, potential and skillset I believe he can turn into a bigger asset than any of them, especially if he shows well in his first year.

  29. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFreak31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know Peck you just might be right about all of this. As someone pointed out earlier I think the Heat have more to lose with the up coming Collective Bargaining Agreement than most other teams. Maybe I am just worrying about nothing until we know exactly what is going to happen with that. The Heat might have to trade one of the big three in order to afford a bench. I guess lots can happen between now and then. I do believe getting Hill was a good trade now that I have had more time to digest everything. I do like your point about TEAM basketball beating the Heat and we saw that in the Dallas series.
    Actually, I think the Mavs have the potential to hurt more. Year in and year out, they've relied on Cuban's wallet and ability to go way, way way above the luxury tax to build that deep TEAM everyone praises so much.

    What if from now on you implemented something that looks more like a hard cap than the current soft cap?

    Then all of a sudden, Cuban can't be doing these sign and trades every year where he takes on a bad contract in order to gain an asset. He's been building up his team that way for years now. They should be praised for putting together a team that plays TEAM ball, yes. But the way they did it is not something most owners would pay for.

  30. #73
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,051
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    One thing to add about this well Kawhi wouldn't see the floor much stuff... does he really have to see the floor much... when we drafted George we had Granger, Rush, Dunleavy, thought Posey would play a role... Didn't really leave much time for George of the bench.

    He would just have to earn his time just like George did, from judging the current roster it looked like George would mostly play the 2 with little time at the 3, Kawhi would have gotten in some minutes, plus I think he will need a yr in the league before he deserves 20 min off the bench anyways.

    I don't think the George trade hurt us in anyway and I hope that he grabs the starting PG spot but I can see why people would want him as the 6th man also. I just wanted to point out that keeping Kawhi for the reason of him not seeing the floor much isn't valid to me...

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


  32. #74

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing to add about this well Kawhi wouldn't see the floor much stuff... does he really have to see the floor much... when we drafted George we had Granger, Rush, Dunleavy, thought Posey would play a role... Didn't really leave much time for George of the bench.

    He would just have to earn his time just like George did, from judging the current roster it looked like George would mostly play the 2 with little time at the 3, Kawhi would have gotten in some minutes, plus I think he will need a yr in the league before he deserves 20 min off the bench anyways.

    I don't think the George trade hurt us in anyway and I hope that he grabs the starting PG spot but I can see why people would want him as the 6th man also. I just wanted to point out that keeping Kawhi for the reason of him not seeing the floor much isn't valid to me...
    I definitely agree. Kawhi would have found ample PT with a combination of minutes behind Granger, with Mikey D gone, aswell as behind Tyler at the 4 (unless of course Bird made a move for a PF this off-season). There would have undoubtedly been room/minutes for Kawhi with the current roster, whether he would have earned those potential minutes is another question.

    That being said, I'm not against the trade.

  33. #75

    Default Re: We don't have enough talent on our roster to be in win now mode!

    Maybe some of you guys would enjoy life more if you quit worrying so much about being a top 3 or 4 contender. It is great to have goals and work toward them and see some success as you are making progress and getting better but winning a championship is not everything. Some of the major league baseball teams have not won the World Series for decades yet fans are still able to go out and enjoy the games.

    I don't think the Pacers will ever win a championship but if people can enjoy watching the Cubs play we ought to be be able to enjoy watching the Pacers play as long as they put a hard working crew out there who it is obvious are giving it there all. They did that when they played Chicago and I enjoyed it thoroughly even tho we lost.

    If a guy can never enjoy it, whatever it is in life, unless he is #1 he is going to have a pretty miserable life.

Similar Threads

  1. For all this talent, Josh Smith a big disappointment
    By SMosley21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 03:05 PM
  3. Talent Level
    By OakMoses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 11:59 PM
  4. Pacers talent level is in the bottom 5 right now
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 12:46 PM
  5. The Playoff Roster
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •