78 34.06%
  • 25% chance, probably not

38 16.59%
  • He's gone

18 7.86%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will we re-sign McRoberts?

Default Re: Will we re-sign McRoberts?

Resigning Josh would be an admission of failure to sign someone better. I like josh but he's not even the solution as b/u. However, I wouldn't have a problem signing him for Solomon Jones kind of money.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A season and a half of play.
    Wow...he had vertigo the first season, and he didn't get consistent PT until JOB was fired.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...ler-hansbrough

After the All-Star break, he averaged 15.3 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 1.2 TO/GM and .8 SPG while shooting 47.7% and attempted 5 FT/GM. What's there to REALLY to complain about???? I can only see Tyler improving...especially now that he can have a full summer to work on his game.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    What's there to REALLY to complain about?
    Rebounding. But overall I agree that Tyler's got potential.

I don't understand why more people aren't interested in Josh at backup C. He was easily as good a defender as Solo.

I thought Josh/Tyler on the floor together was a good-looking (although rare) combo.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Rebounding. But overall I agree that Tyler's got potential.

I don't understand why more people aren't interested in Josh at backup C. He was easily as good a defender as Solo.

I thought Josh/Tyler on the floor together was a good-looking (although rare) combo.
    I wouldn't be upset if we resigned McBob.

I don't think he's reached his ceiling. Defensively, I think he could learn some things, and I think he's willing to learn some things. He doesn't lack tenacity, which is hard to teach. He doesn't lack athleticism, which cannot be taught.

Some guys have an attitude or longtime habit of laziness that keeps them from learning fundamentals later on, but I don't see McBob in that category. It would be interesting to see if a defensive fundamentals crash course or some extra Foster mentoring could get him to another level.

Offensively, I've seen him score from three, midrange, and around the basket. I've seen him post up and make the short shot. He has the talent, he just needs to focus primarily on the post up moves to get him to the next level. Someone needs to tell him to do that instead of telling him to improve his three point shot (thanks Obie) :rolleyes

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I wouldn't be upset if we resigned McBob.

I don't think he's reached his ceiling. Defensively, I think he could learn some things, and I think he's willing to learn some things. He doesn't lack tenacity, which is hard to teach. He doesn't lack athleticism, which cannot be taught.

Some guys have an attitude or longtime habit of laziness that keeps them from learning fundamentals later on, but I don't see McBob in that category. It would be interesting to see if a defensive fundamentals crash course or some extra Foster mentoring could get him to another level.

Offensively, I've seen him score from three, midrange, and around the basket. I've seen him post up and make the short shot. He has the talent, he just needs to focus primarily on the post up moves to get him to the next level. Someone needs to tell him to do that instead of telling him to improve his three point shot (thanks Obie) :rolleyes
    My thoughts exactly. I've always thought his ceiling is higher than Tyler. Josh could be scary offensively if he develops some post moves and a mid range game. With his ability to pass like that if opponents had to respect his midrange jumper he could find people open a lot more often. I still don't know much about his off court attitude and work ethic? Are you working your *** off this summer Josh? He should be shooting a thousand mid range jumpers a day. Defensively he needs to be willing to get in there and mix it up more and block out instead of trying to use his athleticism to defend and block shots like he has a tendency to do. I hope we get him back. I can see him being a very good player down the road but only if he works HARD.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am completely against getting rid of McBob and getting a mystery PF, this off season. I would be much more comfortable waiting a year and giving him and Tyler an actual season to work with to see progression. If they still don't progress well, we can send one away for someone new, and remember Gasol is a UFA next summer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's a coin flip. What I'd like to see is to re-sign McRoberts as the second big off the bench in order to save Foster for the playoffs. However, he might be able to get more money than that role requires.

McMuscle!

Still one of my favorite pictures.

Though I don't think he'll be coming back. Slight chance, but very doubtful he's a Pacer next season.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

I have a very strange orientation to this question. I like JMac, I like the idea that he really wants to stay a Pacer, and I like the fact that he has improved and is still quite young. The optimist in me (I would say "romantic," but I'd never hear the end of it from the misconstrue crowd) even hopes that he'll add armor this summer like Hans did last summer ... so that with an improved post game and some more toughness, Josh actually will reclaim his starting role. If he could do that and if he were to sign a "reasonable" contract, we'd be sitting pretty indeed. Big ifs, I know, but fun to think about.

However, I think it more likely that he'll be dealt in a sign-and-trade, perhaps for a solid backup to Danny.

I think last summer proved that McRoberts is both willing to work on what his coach thinks he needs to work on, and is able to progress relatively quickly. I doubt most big men would improve their 3-point shot as much as McRoberts did last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    McMuscle!

Someone mind telling me exactly what Salmons is doing here?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I think last summer proved that McRoberts is both willing to work on what his coach thinks he needs to work on, and is able to progress relatively quickly. I doubt most big men would improve their 3-point shot as much as McRoberts did last summer.
    That's a fantastic point that I'd never considered. Good call, and that makes me want even more to keep the guy.

Someone mind telling me exactly what Salmons is doing here?
    Wow, I've seen that photo a dozen times and never noticed that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I had a preference for JMac to play backup Center, but I don't think he can do that. Not strong enough/tall enough. Thus, him and Hans are pretty redundant. In that, even if they are different players, they are similar quality. Once again, pretty obvious which one Larry would prefer to keep.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wow, I've seen that photo a dozen times and never noticed that.
    I was going to thank this post, but for the sake of justice and world peace, I will refrain.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think McBob is likely to be resigned for the same reason I think the Hill trade was a good move - the impending lock-out!
    There is a VERY good chance that IF there is a season at all, it will be a shortened one. That said, it means EVERYTHING will be shortened - No summer league, shortened FA signing perion, short pre-season,... This gives the advantage to veteran teams & teams that have played together. Resigning McBob & Foster to short (even higher $ 1-yr deals) would give the Pacers a real opportunity to compete next season. In a short season, ANYTHING is possible!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was going to thank this post, but for the sake of justice and world peace, I will refrain.
    For Ron Artest's sake?
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

I'd like to keep Josh around. Foster too (Did I just say that?). I still would like an Upgrade made at the 4/5 with a new player. Josh and Jeff can share backup time. Josh would see more time during the regular season allowing Jeff go be fresh during the playoffs. Nothing wrong with a deep front court.
    Last edited by LA_Confidential; 06-27-2011 at 01:31 AM.

I believe the Pacers should for sure sign McRoberts, then pick up a decent PF, need a back up C too, then were set for this coming season, should be very interesting to say the least!

I'd like to resign McBob as well, but I think he is a real enigma though. Just how much did he improve over the past 3 years he has been here? He was throwing down rim rocking dunks back then too. He is a tall white guy who went to Duke....how is he not a decent shooter by now? He has 4 years in the league now, why hasn't he gotten bigger in terms of muscle mass, he is strong but he still looks like he needs to add muscle to his frame.

Last year he was barely serviceable if he wasn't dunking. Has no game to speak of below the rim. I'd probaby offer him a 1-2 year deal a little higher than he makes now, and tell him its make or break time for him. Dude should be able to give you alittle more than he does. How many times did you see him last year get blocked on easy put backs?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'd like to resign McBob as well, but I think he is a real enigma though. Just how much did he improve over the past 3 years he has been here? He was throwing down rim rocking dunks back then too. He is a tall white guy who went to Duke....how is he not a decent shooter by now? He has 4 years in the league now, why hasn't he gotten bigger in terms of muscle mass, he is strong but he still looks like he needs to add muscle to his frame.
    Wow, I don't really agree with any of that. McBob is definitely bigger than he was 3 years ago, and definitely a better long-range shooter.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd love for the P's to re-sign JMac, and have a good feeling they will. He has improved quite a bit since he first got here and you've gotta love those nasty dunks. (#letjoshdunk)

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Resigning Josh would be an admission of failure to sign someone better.
    That may be, but lets be honest. Even though neither Hansbrough or McRoberts would be ideal starters, we aren't desperate for a new PF. They are a serviceable duo, we just need something better if we want to compete for a championship. Since it is unlikely we are competing for a championship next season, we can be patient if we need to be.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Mcbob, but I can't justify resigning him if were able to find an upgrade at the 4. Maybe if Jeff retires and we don't get someone better than solomon jones he can be the backup 5, but that's a little bit of a stretch..

Bird doesn't sound like he's going to be a part of the future.

If he's not being brought back, then that's a sign he has a plan in mind to get a better PF and use the cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    I like Mcbob, but I can't justify resigning him if were able to find an upgrade at the 4. Maybe if Jeff retires and we don't get someone better than solomon jones he can be the backup 5, but that's a little bit of a stretch..
    Solomon Jones is a FA.