Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 647

Thread: Do you like the pick and trade?

  1. #176

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want to be interpreted as not liking Hill or anything, I very much do, I just don't think we needed to give up those assets. It's true that Lorbek wasn't coming here (was that our doing or his? Don't know), it's true that the 42's the 42 (but potential's so exciting!).

    I feel like Lorbek's rights added to Rush could help entice a team, or the guy that actually got taken at 42, Bertans's rights. It's not so much if they'd ever play for us, it's the value other teams see in them which I think is more than just a throwaway type deal.

    I like getting Hill, and I don't know where Leonard would've played for us in comparison to a clear role for Hill. I just think we got out negotiated. Not terribly or anything, we didn't give them Roy or something obviously, just feels like too much.
    You should try looking at it from the Spurs side. They got fleeced. Giving up a quality player for a big load of nothing and a ? of a pick. Crap is crap, even if there is a lot of it. And that's pretty much what the Spurs got.
    Last edited by troyc11a; 06-24-2011 at 12:34 AM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:


  3. #177
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,979

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Bird DID say that he wanted the Pacers to have the best bench in the league...

    Stellar move Larry..

    Hill is a really good player, a difference maker on a team..

    I believe that finally being home, Hill will have his best year(s) with us ...


    I'm happy ..


    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  5. #178

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    I love the trade, Hill is better than anyone we could have gotten in this draft. I dare say he would be in the top 5 of this draft. He averaged almost 30mpg for one of the best teams in the NBA. Quite a steal IMO.

    The downside is his contract is up after next year and it would suck to lose him to free agency.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  7. #179

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMHO, I'm guessing that ( in order of preference of being moved ).....it would be:

    1) BRush - for the various reasons mentioned
    2) Posey - cuz he costs $7 mil ( but my guess is that he'll be used as filler for some trade down the line )
    3) AJ - kept for the reasons that I mentioned ( backup to DC/GH and insurance for Lance in case he messes up ) but expendable
    4) Lance - kept for whatever potential that he has but obviously riding on "thin ice".
    I really think one of the PGs won't be here.

  8. #180

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if any of you are interested, here are the spurs fans reactions:
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182134
    Wow, I was reading some other posts on yahoo and it was exactly the opposite response. Someone even said Pop was upset over the deal.

  9. #181
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,856
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    I saw Bird and Morway after the draft Joe !!!!!!!!


    ok trade IMO i wanted Chris Singleton bad but Hill is good. I still wanted Reggie Jackson
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-24-2011 at 12:42 AM.

  10. #182
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,856
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really think one of the PGs won't be here.
    AJ will be cut IMO

  11. #183
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Tell us why we should keep AJ Sookie.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

  12. #184
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,523
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what does this do to Lance?

    And when it comes down to it, what do you guys think our backcourt looks like as of now (Just guesses).

    DC and Hill?
    DC and Paul George?
    Hill and George?

    Just wondering what you guys think on that one.
    I still like DC and Paul starting, with Hill coming off the bench at both spots. I really, really like that rotation.
    Hill might finish a LOT of the games at 1 or 2 depending on match ups, and they all 3 could play at the same time while Granger rests or plays the 4 spot. Not a fan off small ball as a main strategy, but it works at certain times.

    I'm liking this lineup, if we just could get another good big guy.

    Edit: Forgot Lance, I really don't care one way or the other on Lance. They can still find a roster spot for him, if he pans out fine, if not fine, keep him on a short lease.
    Last edited by Hoop; 06-24-2011 at 12:43 AM.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  13. #185

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell us why we should keep AJ Sookie.
    nah, he needs to be traded/let go so he can look for another team. He's clearly as much a part of this team's future as Rush is. On the other hand, that is looking at it from AJ's best interest. It might be in the Pacers best interest to keep him and his cheap contract around for "insurance"

    I don't know why the team would sit through his "injured" year, only to get rid of him when he should be getting back to normal. (Would have made more sense last season..) Granted THAT was probably insurance for Ford/Lance.
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-24-2011 at 12:41 AM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  15. #186
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,572

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not have a problem with Hill. I think he's a very good player, but I would have liked at least an extra pick or something. I think we could have at least got a decent backup out of this draft. I expected to someone decent to fall to our second round pick, and I would have taken Selby with that pick. Darius Morris almost fell to that spot as well.
    For me, I have no problem with trading Leonard for GH....even with the cost being #42. As mentioned before....I am guessing ( and this is pure speculation on my part ) that the Spurs wanted "Leonard + Stanko" ( who I have read is a better prospect ) but Bird countered with "Leonard + 42 + Lorbek" ( who probably wasn't coming over ).

    I agree with you that I am slightly disappointed that we didn't have an extra pick....but that's fine. I'm hoping that with all the left overs that didn't get drafted but got invited to work out with us in training Camp ( such as Rick Jackson ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. #187
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should try looking at it from the Spurs side. They got fleeced. Giving up a quality player for a big load of nothing and a ? of a pick. Crap is crap, even if there is a lot of it. And that's pretty much what the Spurs got.
    Obviously Spurs management didn't see Leonard as crap.

  17. #188
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Here is G.Hill's numbers in the playoffs this season.

    Game 1 40:37 minutes had 15 points and 3 assist and 4 steals
    Game 2 23:44 minutes had 16 points and 4 assist and 2 steals
    Game 3 26:56 minutes had 11 points and 1 assist and 0 steals
    Game 4 29:05 minutes had 10 points and 2 assist and 1 steal
    Game 5 30:23 minutes had 12 points and 2 assist and 0 steals
    Game 6 38:32 minutes had 6 points and 2 assist and 2 steals

    I am sorry but if he is going to be the "scoring punch" off the bench those are VERY sorry numbers given the number of minutes he played. He will never be a starting PG because he has no court vision and you can tell that by looking at his assist numbers. Also in most of the games he had a negative +/-. For those of you that believe he will guard the Roses, Westbrooks, and Wades of the NBA have another thing coming. Hill is only 6'2 and after being in the NBA for 3 years now is still only 180lbs. He is not going to guard anyone. Lots of guards can get steals but that doesn't mean they are great defenders. Rose will light Hill up a lot more than he did DC.

    I don't disagree with trading the pick but I disagree with what we received. Poor decision on Birds part. I know we don't know what was being offered but I would have rather had some of the guys that went just after our pick if we couldn't get a better trade. I do believe this was just a PR move and now the local media will eat this story up. We didn't get worse tonight but we also didn't get any better.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerFreak31 For This Useful Post:


  19. #189
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    I think this was a solid move by Bird.

    The draft was craptastic. Literally filled with guys you won't hear from in a few years and some guys who will be 8th-10th men.

    Ordinarily, I'd say just use a pick and try to swing for a double or a triple, but not this year. Just too many guys with not very well defined games or positions and really, not a whole lot of upside either.

    Good move by Bird to take a proven commodity over a crapshoot this year.

  20. #190
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,597

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    I look at it this way...

    Several people here on PD (Myself included) wanted the Pacers to take Marshon Brooks. To me, Hill is a proven version of Marshon Brooks who also is a pretty good defender. Take out the fact that he's from Indy and all that. This kid can play the 2, he can create his own shot, and he's proven he can do it at the NBA level. That makes this trade a brilliant one by Larry Bird.

    Now we have a guy who can create his own shot and knock it down, not to mention start at the 1 or come of the bench at either the 1 or the 2.

    I know it's not quite as fun as drafting an unknown player, but this guy has gotten it done at this level, and will bring something that last season we really didn't have. Add in that he's only 25 and has a lot of playoff experience, and we've got a really, really, nice piece to add to our team going forward.

    I love this trade. I hope this offseason brings more excitement to Indy, but I for one am absolutely thrilled to bring George Hill back home.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:


  22. #191

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Why would AJ get cut? Hill played SG for the Spurs.

    So we'd be

    PG Collison
    SG Hill
    SF Granger
    PF Hans
    C Hibbert
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

  23. #192
    Member aaronb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Memphis Tenn
    Posts
    773

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should try looking at it from the Spurs side. They got fleeced. Giving up a quality player for a big load of nothing and a ? of a pick. Crap is crap, even if there is a lot of it. And that's pretty much what the Spurs got.

    Doubtful that they got fleeced....

    They are at the end of their window. They traded their 6th man who is in a contract year for 3 assets that they will have several years to assess.

    It's called a proper rebuilding move.

  24. #193
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,572

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really think one of the PGs won't be here.
    Personally, I know that he did okay when he finally got minutes....but I won't be convinced that Lance is a PG until he gets far more minutes playing that position and running the point.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  25. #194

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AJ will be cut
    Well, we have empty roster spots, but AJ and Lance are the least paid players, both are making about 800k and Larry seems to think Lance is our best player (remember the Troy Murphy MVP talk?).

    So yeah, AJ is probably the odd man out if they have to cut someone.

    If I am correct, bringing in Hill puts our roster at 11. Bringing the Stank over gets it to 12, that leaves 3 spots open.

  26. #195

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I think the "D" needs taken out of the D-League. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who's gone down there and became a new player or anything. It's valuable in the sense that it's a minor league in the States with a ton of FAs that a team can sign on the cheap, but not for developing of guys. I know the Spurs have their own squad and run the same sort of sets as Coach Pop, but they're very much in the minority with that.

    Lance goes to the D-League I don't think he learns anything except how to dominate the ball and abuse weaker competition.
    Really?

    Many former NBA draftees, waived players and undrafted players have played in the NBA D-League. Some of the called-up D-League players that went on to have successful NBA careers include Rafer Alston, Louis Amundson, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Will Bynum, Matt Carroll, Eddie Gill, Stephen Graham, Jason Hart, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, Dahntay Jones, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Smush Parker, Bobby Simmons, Ime Udoka, Von Wafer, C. J. Watson, and Mike Wilks. Aside from these players, there are several successful NBA players who were assigned to the D-League in their first and second season, such as José Juan Barea, Brandon Bass, Andray Blatche, Aaron Brooks, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown, Marcin Gortat, Ramon Sessions and Martell Webster.

  27. #196

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously Spurs management didn't see Leonard as crap.
    Right now he is crap. Maybe in two years he turns into a decent role player. I dont think anyone expects him to be ready for the NBA now. He has "0" offensive game and lacks a real position. He is a worthy project and that is ok for the SPurs. They can afford to wait. We couldnt.

  28. #197
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,028

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    So right now our rotation is looking like this:

    Collison/Hill
    George/Hill
    Granger/George
    X/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/X

    I think we really need that guy that can play the 4 and 5 in some fashion. Preferably a good 4 who can back up the 5.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  30. #198
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,178

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Trade AJ rush in part of a bigger deal

  31. #199
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate it. Now we have three shooting guards trapped in point guard's bodies with no court vision.

    I actually like Hill, and I think he'd be a great complement with Lance if Lance ever works out, but we had Kawhi Leonard.

    I feel the same as I did after the Bayless trade.
    Three years later, Jaryd Bayless still sucks.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  33. #200

    Default Re: Do you like the pick and trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doubtful that they got fleeced....

    They are at the end of their window. They traded their 6th man who is in a contract year for 3 assets that they will have several years to assess.

    It's called a proper rebuilding move.
    They got one asset they will never see. The other two will not be NBA ready for at least 2 years. That is ok for them. They are not in any hurry and can afford to let Leonard set the bench and develop while the 42nd pick plays in Europe for 3 more years. Right now I have to say the Pacers win big. In 3-4 years, that may not be the case.

Similar Threads

  1. mock 7.3
    By Really? in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
  2. Team-By-Team Trade Outlook
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 08:11 PM
  3. chad Ford Mock Draft v. 7.0
    By spazzxb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
  4. Ford releases Mock 6.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
  5. Insider Article
    By FiestyFosterFanatic in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •