Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports on Dan Dakich Show blasted Jimmer

Default Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports on Dan Dakich Show blasted Jimmer

Called him the worst defender he's seen in the draft in the last 10 years. Also added that if Florida's 6-2 Kenny Boyton could shut Jimmer's offensive game down, that any average NBA defender should be able to relegate him to little more than an off-the-bench role player.

100% agree.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports on Dan Dakich Show blasted Jimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Called him the worst defender he's seen in the draft in the last 10 years. Also added that if Florida's 6-2 Kenny Boyton could shut Jimmer's offensive game down, that any average NBA defender should be able to relegate him to little more than an off-the-bench role player.

100% agree.
    Marc Spears was talking earlier on Dakich how Kawhi Leonard couldn't even shut Jimmer down.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is right on. If Florida could shut down Jimmer by throwing double and triple teams at him with only rec league players to pass to, how could he ever hope to succeed in the NBA....

Very informative that Kenny Boyton was the primary defender on Jimmer. It was hard to tell which of the four gators within 3 inches of him for most of the game was supposed to be guarding him.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Called him the worst defender he's seen in the draft in the last 10 years.
    Okay, that's just ridiculous. Yes, he's a poor defender, perhaps even a very poor defender, but he's no Tskitishvili.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Jeff Goodman doesn't have access to workouts, so he has to base his opinion on game film. When I watch Jimmer on the defensive end, during games at BYU, I saw a player who didn't care to play defense. Just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't.

And Kenny Boyton didn't slow Jimmer down. Jimmer's calf injury slowed Jimmer down.

But going back to the defensive thing, I've read many reports about how teams were surprised at Jimmer's ability to play defense. Said he wasn't a lockdown defender by any means, just that he was a lot more capable and willing than they thought after watching his film, which is why he's stayed at the top of the draft and not slipped.

Outside of Michael Jordan, what guard asked to take 30+ shots a game every night has ever been physically capable of working hard on defense?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Jeff Goodman doesn't have access to workouts, so he has to base his opinion on game film. When I watch Jimmer on the defensive end, during games at BYU, I saw a player who didn't care to play defense. Just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't.

And Kenny Boyton didn't slow Jimmer down. Jimmer's calf injury slowed Jimmer down.

But going back to the defensive thing, I've read many reports about how teams were surprised at Jimmer's ability to play defense. Said he wasn't a lockdown defender by any means, just that he was a lot more capable and willing than they thought after watching his film, which is why he's stayed at the top of the draft and not slipped.
    Its those details that you keep bringing up that makes me appreciate your post more and more. I can't stand people who make assumptions off of one game.

I can't believe that a kid as quick as Jimmer can't play D. Like has been said, maybe he DOESN'T, but that doesn't mean he CAN'T. It's up to him and the coaches to get him to play D, and as KStat eluded to, if he's not needed to take every shot down the floor, maybe he would have the energy to play D.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Dakich told this guy to say that just to **** his listeners off. Don't get the appeal of that guy.

I'm not a huge fan of Jimmer and I too think his defense is lacking. But this is just the hyperbole machine at its finest. This statement is rather ridiculous
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Just because you don't [play defense], doesn't mean you can't.
    That's like saying, just because Dale Davis doesn't shoot free throws well, doesn't mean he can't. "The worst defender in the last 10 years of the NBA draft" is obviously hyperbole, but I'll stick with the four years of empirical evidence that at the very least suggest Jimmer isn't a very good defender.

Nobody's saying Jimmer is a very good defender. Defense isn't his strong suit, which goes for about %80 of NBA point guards.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hatas gon' hate.

Jimmer is a gifted scorer, and would much improve scoring off the bench and overall bench talent, like Larry Bird has wanted. I have no problems with him.

Anyone who ridicules Jimmer's offense based on the Florida game is an idiot. It will be much more difficult to stop him one on one in the Pro's because of the pace of the game. Florida threw double/triple teams on him that he will NEVER see in the NBA because he will never be more than the 3rd or 4th best player on the team. In other words, he will be one of multiple options not THE option. I have not heard anyone say he will go to a team and be THE man.

That's like saying, just because Dale Davis doesn't shoot free throws well, doesn't mean he can't. "The worst defender in the last 10 years of the NBA draft" is obviously hyperbole, but I'll stick with the four years of empirical evidence that at the very least suggest Jimmer isn't a very good defender.
    No it's not. Defense has a lot more to do with effort than it does ability, especially at the NBA level.

Shaq can't shoot FTs, not because he doesn't put in the effort (he hired his own personal FT shooting coach out of his own pocket) but because there are phyiscal limitations, like hand size for example.

I'm not saying that every NBA player as the ability to become 1st Team All Defense, they don't. I'm saying any NBA player that pays attention to defense will become a workable piece.

Mike Dunleavy can't guard his shadow, but he puts forth the effort and uses his brain to be an effective team defender without much individual ability.

EDIT: And that's not even touching on the fact that Jimmer is a very good athlete, even for NBA standards. He's not going to win any foot races, or jumping contests, but he'll be right in the middle of the pack.

EDIT2: And if you watched 4 years of Jimmer, you'd alteast understand that most of the time (when the ball wasn't in his area) that he stood on the elbow and merely turned so he could see the ball. He hardly put any effort in, and you could see that just by the lack of a defensive stance and the lack of even trying to guard someone.

They played a 2-3 zone so they could save his legs and ride him offensively, because that was their only hope.
    Last edited by Since86; 06-23-2011 at 02:56 PM.

There is only one problem I have with that statement. No matter how hard DD worked, he couldnt hit ft's. Anyone in the NBA can play decent defense if they want too. It is a matter of effort. These are some of the greatest athletes in the world. They can do it. They just dont want too. I dont see effort as being a problem with Jimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Outside of Michael Jordan, what guard asked to take 30+ shots a game every night has ever been physically capable of working hard on defense?
    Iverson and Curry come to mind...I just think it's funny that certain guys seem to get a hall pass for being a bad defender. If you don't try on defense you don't have a place on my team. If you aren't as good on defense but you give it your all on every possession, then you only have a spot on my team if the other 14 players are good defenders.

If your job is to take 30 shots a game, then the other 14 guys on the team had better be good defenders, because they arent on the team because of their ability to put the ball in the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Iverson and Curry come to mind...I just think it's funny that certain guys seem to get a hall pass for being a bad defender. If you don't try on defense you don't have a place on my team. If you aren't as good on defense but you give it your all on every possession, then you only have a spot on my team if the other 14 players are good defenders.
    Even Jordan got a pass. He was not even close to a lock down defender. He played the passing lanes and helped out a lot though. But his guy routinely scored more than their average every night. Reggie had some of his better games against Jordan because he wouldnt chase him around.
    I am not sure you could even add Iverson and Curry to that list either. The only guy I can think of was Ron Artest. He played hard on both sides. Kobe does too. But you are right that some get a pass and others dont when there really isnt that much difference in ability. Some just do while others wont.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Even Jordan got a pass. He was not even close to a lock down defender.
    Wait...what?

-9-time NBA all-defensive 1st team selection
    -1988 defensive player of the year
    -only player in NBA history with 200 steals and 100 blocks in the same season...twice.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Even Jordan got a pass. He was not even close to a lock down defender.
    This thread just jumped the shark.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:

Mood

Even Jordan got a pass. He was not even close to a lock down defender. He played the passing lanes and helped out a lot though. But his guy routinely scored more than their average every night. Reggie had some of his better games against Jordan because he wouldnt chase him around.
    I am not sure you could even add Iverson and Curry to that list either. The only guy I can think of was Ron Artest. He played hard on both sides. Kobe does too. But you are right that some get a pass and others dont when there really isnt that much difference in ability. Some just do while others wont.
    You have got to be kidding me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Wait...what?

-9-time NBA all-defensive 1st team selection
    -1988 defensive player of the year
    -only player in NBA history with 200 steals and 100 blocks in the same season...twice.
    And he did none of that against his own man. I said he played the passing lanes and helped out. The topic was lock down defender. Jordan was not even close to that. His guy always score more than his average against him because Jordan was never in front of him.

Really? None of his 200+ steals and 100+ blocks came against his own man? Is he Ben Wallace now?

The topic was lock down defender. Jordan was not even close to that. His guy always score more than his average against him because Jordan was never in front of him.
    Untrue. There isn't even any other way to describe that statement. It's just totally and hopelessly untrue.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-23-2011 at 03:27 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Anyone in the NBA can play decent defense if they want too. It is a matter of effort. These are some of the greatest athletes in the world. They can do it. They just don't want too.
    Are we really going to keep beating this drum? So, in your mind, offense is about skillset and defense is about willpower? Defense is not a skillset, but rather just a side effect of effort? Come on now. That's just plain old rhetorical laziness. Defense is no different than offense; there are certain fundamentals that some people excel at and some people don't: rebounding, lateral quickness, playing the man instead of the pass, anticipation versus reaction, etc.