Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alec Burks - The Next Brandon Roy

Default Re: Alec Burks - The Next Brandon Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burks is a 2, and Brooks is turnover prone, I think 3rd highest in the draft class from what I heard..

As far as athleticms from the NBA draft combine Brooks was 1st in lane agility, first in vertical and 2nd in Max vertical...

People please stop calling Burks more athletic than Brooks... either it is close or Brooks is beasting him going from these numbers

Edit:

Sorry numbers were of 2nd hightest vert, 6th max vert, and 7th in lane agility, 6th in 3/4 court... all of those numbers beat Burks
    I think its close but keep in mind that there is a considerable gap between the 2 in age. Which one has more potential? I would say Burks is over Brooks at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Burks is a 2, and Brooks is turnover prone, I think 3rd highest in the draft class from what I heard..

As far as athleticms from the NBA draft combine Brooks was 1st in lane agility, first in vertical and 2nd in Max vertical...

People please stop calling Burks more athletic than Brooks... either it is close or Brooks is beasting him going from these numbers

Edit:

Sorry numbers were of 2nd hightest vert, 6th max vert, and 7th in lane agility, 6th in 3/4 court... all of those numbers beat Burks
    From what I seen of Brooks, he's our pick and will probably be available at 15. Brooks has way too many offensive moves (not sure about his defense) to past on him. After watching the videos, I was sold on Brooks the same way I was sold on Paul George. Brooks may very well be turnover prone, because he seems to be very ball-dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    The next Dwayne Wade or the next Brandon Roy... damn so hard to choose!

Who was that guy who was said to be the next Alonzo Mourning. Let's get him! Or that guy who is supposed to be the next Dale Davis! Oh and also the next Kobe Bryant, I think that was Brooks? I think there is a guy who is supposed to be the next Reggie Miller too, but when we can take the next Dwayne Wade or Kobe, why take the next Reggie? Maybe in the 2nd round...

We need to trade everyone we can to get draft picks NOW!

Post of the Year.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy's vs. Burk's production as sophomores:

Roy's vs. Burk's measurements (keep in mind Roy was two years older then than Burks is now):

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think its close but keep in mind that there is a considerable gap between the 2 in age. Which one has more potential? I would say Burks is over Brooks at this point.
    Age really don't matter...it's all about the skills and their ability to learn more. I think Burks has to learn more skills. He seems too one-dimensional to me right now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brandon Roy had mediocre measurements. What made him special was his handle and his dexterity. He has maybe the best off-hand of any guard in the NBA, which made his movements impossible to predict.

In terms of guards in this draft that have that kind of attribute, there are none. The most dexterous guards available are probably Irving and Fredette.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Age really don't matter...it's all about the skills and their ability to learn more. I think Burks has to learn more skills. He seems too one-dimensional to me right now.
    I think we would all say that most 19 year old kids in the NBA draft need to learn more skills. Age does determine the ceiling of a player and I would bet Burks is a better NBA player at the end of the day than Brooks.

IMO your comparing apples to oranges. Your saying age doesn't matter but how is someone suppose to learn more without time to do it? Brooks has had more time to do it and both can score at almost the same percentage just in different ways.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Roy's vs. Burk's production as sophomores:

Roy's vs. Burk's measurements (keep in mind Roy was two years older then than Burks is now):

Could you put up the stats for the year that they got drafted...

One thing that is never really taken into consideration on these comparisons is the way that they are used on their teams.

Remember they had Nate Robinson at the time...

I think we would all say that most 19 year old kids in the NBA draft need to learn more skills. Age does determine the ceiling of a player and I would bet Burks is a better NBA player at the end of the day than Brooks.

IMO your comparing apples to oranges. Your saying age doesn't matter but how is someone suppose to learn more without time to do it? Brooks has had more time to do it and both can score at almost the same percentage just in different ways.
    I will have to look up the stats, but younger players are not lasting any longer in the NBA than the older players.

I will have to look up the stats, but younger players are not lasting any longer in the NBA than the older players.
    Well good luck with that...

Let me ask you this, Would you draft Brooks 15th overall based on his college sophmore abilities. You wouldn't even have known who he was but you would have known Burks based on his abilities. Thats an apples to apples comparison.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let me ask you this, Would you draft Brooks 15th overall based on his college sophmore abilities. You wouldn't even have known who he was but you would have known Burks based on his abilities. Thats an apples to apples comparison.
    Like I said one thing is how players are used on their teams, another thing is just because a player isn't as good as a sophomore doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a better player...

I feel looking at stats alone can be one of the most misleading thing as far as comparing players... depending on systems, teamates, coaches and many other things stats typically don't get close to telling the whole story...

Actually, I didn't have a clue about either one of them until I watched the videos and read up on them. Based on that information, Brooks is the better pick to me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He doesn't look 6'6 in those clips.

Let's be honest with ourselves, who had heard of Alec Burks before the draft process started? Then again, who had heard of Paul George before we drafted him? Can't wait for the draft. If we take Burks, Jimmer, or Brooks I think all Pacer fans can be pleased.

JUST SAY NO TO BISMACK!
    Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't chew Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    He doesn't look 6'6 in those clips.
    I thought the same thing which was why I made the original mistake of thinking that he was a PG.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He measured out at 6'6" in shoes, so unless there's a conspiracy or someone goofed, 6'6" he is. He looks like a future star to me.

I seen a special on ESPN that suggested the players who leave early dont play any longer than the ones who go to school. The point was each player has so much mileage available and the players who leave younger burn it up faster - KG, Kobe should not be slowing down at their age but have considerable wear on their knees.
    This is not my analysis. I report - you decide!!!