Thread: How important is Bender this season

Default How important is Bender this season

Listening to the game tonight, I was wondering just how important Bender is to the Pacers success this season.

In this game you have AJ backing up Tinsley, Freddie backing up Reggie, Jackson backing up Artest, Croshere backing up J.O, and Pollard backing up Foster.

So is Bender even needed. If you think he is, just how important is he.

Default Re: How important is Bender this season

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being of highest importance, I rate him a 7.5.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As you know, I'm one of the original "dump Bender" gang members.

However, a serious contribution from at least one of Bender and Pollard is extremely important this year. Without it, we have JO and Foster starting, and Croshere as the only proven backup.

I seriously doubt that Rick's plan is to play Bender exclusively on the perimeter. If it is, then I would say that Bender is not all that important. In fact, we could probably live without him. We could live with AJ, SJax and Freddie as the perimeter backups.

But like a lot of the others on the forum, I figure that Rick will play Bender at PF some this season. And I think that if Bender is ever to prove himself, it will be at the PF position.

But if Bender is not able to begin proving something at PF, then I'd say dump him by the trade deadline. Because we will need another contributor in the frontcourt if we are to maximize our chances of winning it this season.

So I guess I'm not really saying that Bender is all that important this season. But one more contributor in the frontcourt is. And if that proves to be Bender, then that's fine by me (even though I wouild be eating a large helping of crow).

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

If Bender isn't contributing at PF this season, then its even more important to get *something* out of Harrison.

We're very thin up front, and I wouldn't want to count on anything from Pollard.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

If you mean he could make all the difference in the world come playoff time is Healthy knows what he is doing Bender shows up. Then he would be very important. If you mean how important is he to the team having a pretty good year then he is not very important and if they are counting on him then they will be disapointed.

I hope Bender proves me wrong this year. There were a few times last year where he really got me excited about his ability but then let me down with his lack of durability. Plus other than a couple of quarters in the Heat series he looked more like the deer in headlights Bender than the sacramento game Bender.

The Sacramento game Bender is the best player I have ever or probably will ever see play. If he would come out of his shell for the rest of his career then players we have lost to keep him in the fold will have been worth it. But untill then he is wasting cap and bench space.

it's really hard to gauge bender's importance. he has yet to establish himself in the rotation because he has proven himself to be too fragile. this will be my final year of let's just see if he can stay healthy. if he fails in that dept., then i think it will be an over and out for him in terms of his career. he has had several years to prove he can handle the rigors of the season and so far has failed miserably.
    on the optimistic side If he stays healthy, he could rate a 7 or even an 8 out of 10 in terms of importance.
    on a pessimistic side if he shows no sighn of being able to stay injury-free, he will have no more importance than he did last year or the year before that. which would give him about a 2 or 3 of 10.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Sacramento game Bender is the best player I have ever or probably will ever see play.
    Wow. I think I missed that one.

Anybody got a stat line or article on it?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

It breaks down into two parts for me.

How important should Bender be vs. how important will Bender be.

On the should department on a scale of 1-10 it's about an 8-9. Let's not forget we traded away our only other real low post scorer & defender at the 4 spot. With the way the East is starting to get bigger & stronger we need people who can either be so athletic they can overcome this or be strong enough to fight back. Bender really needs to come through here.

On the will front I hate to sound pessemistic but that knee sounds troubling. We've now heard reports that the swelling was happening before that knee bump leading me to think that there may be a bigger underlying problem. Best case scenario he will rest it for the remainder of camp (missing another pre-season) & will be fine by the start of the regular season. Most likely scenario his knee will occasionally swell all on it's own causing him to miss several games throughout the season. Worst case scenario, he has damage to the meniscus & will require surgery that will likely make him miss the season.

Either way, just because I want to, I want to point out that one of the reasons we couldn't afford Brad Miller was because we gave an extension to Bender & Foster.

You can argue about Foster (I will disagree but that's a given) but unless he produces this year I don't see how anybody can justify Benders extension.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    The Sacramento game Bender is the best player I have ever or probably will ever see play.
    Wow. I think I missed that one.

Anybody got a stat line or article on it?
    Bender played 16 minutes in that amazing 16 minutes he scored 15 points on 6-7 shooting. He hit the three pointer he took grabed a couple of rebounds and basically single handedly took over the game before hitting his shoulder on Doug Christy injuring it and taking him out pretty much for the rest of the season.

Well, he pretty much didn't contribute at all last year, and we won 61 games. If it can be assumed that Sax is an adequete replacement for Al, it can be argued that we don't NEED him at all.

That said, I think I've been clear on how far I trust Austin. If Bender ain't there, as Bball said, we need Pollard to step it up.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've been amazed at how bad Austin's been this year. Just amazed.

I haven't seen either game, but his line looks terrible.

Somebody tell me... is it as bad as it looks?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

The Pacers are very good with or without Bender. He'll be a nice luxury to have around, but the Pacers have plenty of tools to work with.

As the season wears down though, more players will suffer injuries now and then, and there will come a time when every good healthy body will be important.

On the 1 to 10 scale, I would rate his importance at about a 4.

Bender's still a bust. No matter how much any of us hopes otherwise, the writing is on the wall.

Once again the team will be coming together without him as he sits because he is injured and/or too raw.

IMHO, he is simply a small cog in the Pacer machine injured or not.... therefore his importance is of little value unless you believe he is about to have a real breakout season (and not another breakdown season).

Surely nobody in the Pacer organization is really counting on him this year after seeing how fragile he is?

And I stand by what I said after the Pistons won the title... Bender just saw his ticket stamped. There will be no room for a fragile frontline player on the way to the ECF championship this year.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Bender's still a bust. No matter how much any of us hopes otherwise, the writing is on the wall.

Once again the team will be coming together without him as he sits because he is injured and/or too raw.

IMHO, he is simply a small cog in the Pacer machine injured or not.... therefore his importance is of little value unless you believe he is about to have a real breakout season (and not another breakdown season).

Surely nobody in the Pacer organization is really counting on him this year after seeing how fragile he is?

And I stand by what I said after the Pistons won the title... Bender just saw his ticket stamped. There will be no room for a fragile frontline player on the way to the ECF championship this year.

-Bball
    , exactly how I feel about it , are you reading my mind again

Harsh as it seems , JB couldn't hold Cinderella's jockstrap up without getting injured
    I felt he was a bust 2 years ago and last year was the final stamp and it looks like he is off to the same old start as previous years.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think that the look of a team is very important. JB's elegant lines when wearing a suit while on the injured list will once again give the Pacers the best looking bench in the league.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh