Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is standing pat such a bad idea?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Is standing pat such a bad idea?

I keep seeing all these trade rumors and suggestions and I can't help but ask myself why? I haven't seen one that is going to take us to the promise land like some people act like it would. Why are we so eager to trade Grange, Hibbert or someone else when this team is finally showing a positive direction?

Yes we had 37 wins. And yes we got in the playoffs because of a terrible Eastern conference after the top teams. But the win total isn't the point here. Its the way this team played. Its the competitiveness this team showed in the series against the #1 seeded Chicago Bulls. Its having a coach who plays to the strength of the players and not his system.

With Coach Vogel at the helm for a full year last season, this team would have won 42-43 games. Thats a 10 win improvement. Thats pretty damn good in the NBA.

I'm getting sick of people acting like last season was the peak of this roster's potential. Thats just bull ****. I think taking games off LA, Boston, Dallas, Miami and our series with Chicago shows that this team has more potential than some people like to give them credit for. And there is this idea we don't have any young talent. Collison, Hibbert, George, Hansbrough, and Stephenson are all talented young players. We don't know yet if they are the long term answer, but can we give them a chance? Collison, a second year player, just gets demolished on here. Let the guy have a coach for a full off season and regular season. He has played so many different roles in his two seasons that any judgement isn't fair. Hibbert has rough patches but the guy is still figuring out how to get his body right. He went through a huge transformation before last season and it was rough adjusting to it. He's working to fix this now. George, well the kid is just a stud. Hansbrough will always have a place on any team. And Lance, we know the potential is there, he just needs to keep himself focused on basketball.

Yes, this team has holes. Some may be answered by the guys above, some may not. We don't know. This roster has been going through so many changes in the past three years. We haven't been able to get an accurate read on anyone really. I want to see what this team can do, under a good coach, for more than half a season.

Is Granger on the LeBron, Dirk, Wade, Kobe level? No. But that doesn't mean we trade him for a draft pick that we hope turns out to be on that level because that guy isn't in this draft. And I don't want to take a step or two backwards to hope to get there somewhere in the future. We are already building towards the future. Plus, Paul George could very well turn out to be that guy we are looking for. I see it in his game. And I don't think I'm the only one.

This team, as it is, will be better next year just from our young guys improving and having a better coach. Will we compete with Miami and Chicago for the ECF next year? No. I don't see any likely trade happening that would allow us to do such a thing.

Obviously we will have to fill out our roster and the idea of this is more about core moves and standing pat with our core DC/George/Granger/Hibbert and to a lesser extent Lance and Hans. I think the PF position is the spot we need most help in. It would help everyone on the court, especially Roy. And we need another scorer as I don't think George is ready for the second option just yet (and I hope I'm wrong about that). I've said I like Nene and Jamaal Crawford (off the bench) for awhile now. And we can get those guys without giving up someone from out core.

Obviously there are exceptions to this idea of standing pat. If someone like Chris Paul or Dwight Howard becomes available, you throw the kitchen sink at them to try and get the deal done. Everyone on here says how we need this franchise player and then wants to do these deals that don't give us one. What's the point of trading Danny for a player on the level of Danny? To make you feel warm and fuzzy inside that a trade was made?

For the most part, I don't want to see a major change in the roster, because it won't be getting us this franchise player that is so highly sought after. A lot of these trades just seem like lateral moves or moves that would set us back a season or so. This team finally got back into the playoffs. It finally showed us a positive sign. I don't want to go backwards. This team can't afford to go backwards.

So I say keep this core together, add to it. Let them develop. Let them become a team.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is standing pat such a bad idea?

I am with you. Unless there is an obvious upgrade, I would prefer to keep our core and make minor additions, say OJ Mayo for example.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Standing completely pat? No. Minor deals that will help round out the roster? Yes.

Things might be different if we could hear what Larry hears. But as far as I'm concerned you don't make a trade to go into win now mode if it's not perfect. These guys are young and growing and coming together. And more talent is on the way.

I'm pretty sure the front office is thinking the same things. They're not moving any pieces unless they win the deal. Since that isn't the fairest of things, I'm not expecting much of a shakeup. No reason to get impatient now.

That's what's great about where the team is at right now. I feel like they are a solid team already, so you just make imrovements as they become available. DC, George, Granger, Tyler and Roy is a good starting 5. So you can wait and be patient until that opportunity comes to create a GREAT starting 5 or add depth to your bench! I love that Larry wants to build the strongest bench in the league! That's the way you win championships!!!!!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Standing pat would be what, exactly? Our roster consists of Roy, Tyler, Granger, George, Inferno, Collison, Posey, AJ, Brandon, and Lance. We lost Foster, McBob, Dun, Solo, TJ.

If we re-sign Vogel and add Shaw, re-sign McBob and Foster, pick the #15, bring over The Stank, trade Brandon and Posey for a solid vet that fits, and pick up some help in the FA market, is that "standing pat?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Standing pat would be what, exactly? Our roster consists of Roy, Tyler, Granger, George, Inferno, Collison, Posey, AJ, Brandon, and Lance. We lost Foster, McBob, Dun, Solo, TJ.

If we re-sign Vogel and add Shaw, re-sign McBob and Foster, pick the #15, bring over The Stank, trade Brandon and Posey for a solid vet that fits, and pick up some help in the FA market, is that "standing pat?"
    See this paragraph:

Obviously we will have to fill out our roster and the idea of this is more about core moves and standing pat with our core DC/George/Granger/Hibbert and to a lesser extent Lance and Hans. I think the PF position is the spot we need most help in. It would help everyone on the court, especially Roy. And we need another scorer as I don't think George is ready for the second option just yet (and I hope I'm wrong about that). I've said I like Nene and Jamaal Crawford (off the bench) for awhile now. And we can get those guys without giving up someone from out core.
    The standing pat has to do with the core group we have here.

I'm not sure "standing pat" is even an option. Are we not losing several players due to expiring contracts?

Anyway, there is a lot of room between "standing pat" and "blowing it up". If making a few trades at the end of the bench qualifies as "standing pat"...I suppose that might happen. I do expect something more than that to happen but I doubt we see any of the core players to be traded. Anything of course is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    See this paragraph:

The standing pat has to do with the core group we have here.
    I get it, I just don't buy it.

There's a lot of room between "breaking up the core" and "standing pat."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I'm not sure "standing pat" is even an option. Are we not losing several players due to expiring contracts?

Anyway, there is a lot of room between "standing pat" and "blowing it up".
    Holy cow great minds really do think alike.

And ours too.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

"standing pat" would bring another sucky season to Indiana, if we "stand pat" we are going to be competing for the 8th seat again.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    "standing pat" would bring another sucky season to Indiana, if we "stand pat" we are going to be competing for the 8th seat again.
    And what trade has been brought up that will bring us past 45 wins next season?

Standing saying is probably the wrong term for what I'm saying. Anthem and blue n gold, I agree with both of you as we need to fill out the roster, but I want this core to stay together.

Yeah that's very possible. But what can you do if the right trade isn't there? Like ilive mentioned, the proposed trades we have seen will not equate to becoming an Eastern final contender. Trading Granger or Hibbert will likely result in too lateral a move. If we're not getting a bonafide star its much more optimal to keep the core, improve the pieces around it with small moves, and use cash to either facilitate a worthy trade or give it to Eric Gordon next offseason.

Tasting the playoffs have set expectations higher and quicker than this team is ready for.

Yea but what makes u think Granger is going to get us there? Trade him while his value is high.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

Granger is still young. His value will not plummet anytime soon. You only move him for a perfect fit, a star. Which is what Larry is doing and why he hasn't been traded.

No one is untouchable, George is the closest. Bird knows this team needs an influx of talent but being impatient is never the right idea. The best way to improve this team is to let the core grow, possibly adding a piece through this draft, and bring in a FA next year. They have to bring in talent without losing talent, they will never touch the Heat without that happening.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tfarks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    Yea but what makes u think Granger is going to get us there? Trade him while his value is high.
    Get us where? Why is his value dropping? I'm talking about going into this season and keeping our core together. There is no doubt this team will be better next season.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Get us where? Why is his value dropping? I'm talking about going into this season and keeping our core together. There is no doubt this team will be better next season.
    obviously the promise land. His value is dropping because his game has declined for the 2nd straight year. the 1st u could say he had the injury. This year was annoying to watch.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

obviously the promise land. His value is dropping because his game has declined for the 2nd straight year. the 1st u could say he had the injury. This year was annoying to watch.
    Well, I'm going to blame JOB
    Granger is only entering his prime now. I highly doubt his value is going to drop bar a big injury (knock on wood)

He's not untouchable. But you can't just trade him. It takes more than 1 party. Teams aren't sitting out there asking how they can make the Pacers better.

This is why it sucks for us message board peasants, not knowing anything sucks. I need an inside connection to the Pacers FO.

When did I ever say he was leading us to the promise land? I don't think he is. But a team needs more than just "that guy". And what realistic trades that have been discussed are bringing in that guy?

And seeing Danny play in the playoffs, he clearly can still play at the all star level of a few seasons ago. I expect him to be better next year just because the team is better as well.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I'm pretty much of this mindset ever since i've been combing through this draft and knowing what was available for free agency especially after David West went down. Even then it's not like I was saying to myself "We better nail this draft and this offseason in free agency or all these years building up to this point have been a waste." I look at all the people who decided to return to college for another year and all the talent they have in next years draft, plus free agents the likes of Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, and Chris Paul being unrestricted free agents and that looks a hell of a lot more appealing then the role players we could get in this draft or in free agency to make us marginally better. Plus an off-season without Satan as our coach and another year + playoffs this past season to motivate our young guys that are still improving and I think we could still be better off then we were this past season the way things are. Unless some no-brainer deal falls into place i'm very much happy with our team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Well, I'm going to blame JOB
    Granger is only entering his prime now. I highly doubt his value is going to drop bar a big injury (knock on wood)
    Entering his prime?

Entering his prime?
    yes, entering his prime.

And what trade has been brought up that will bring us past 45 wins next season?

Standing saying is probably the wrong term for what I'm saying. Anthem and blue n gold, I agree with both of you as we need to fill out the roster, but I want this core to stay together.

We haven't seen 45 wins in almost a decade? I don't understand the sense of accomplishment some fans are having after season where we lost 11 more than we won?

My only guess is that some of you were too young to remember how proud this franchise once was?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    We haven't seen 45 wins in almost a decade? I don't understand the sense of accomplishment some fans are having after season where we lost 11 more than we won?

My only guess is that some of you were too young to remember how proud this franchise once was?
    Yep some people sound pretty happy to win 40/44 games next season and compete for the 8th seat again, sometimes I think that making it to the playoffs in a crappy bottom eastern conference was not a blessing after all.