Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official StarCraft 2 Thread

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official StarCraft 2 Thread

Anyone catch IPL3 Stephano vs. KiwkKaki (guy who knocked off Gordon Hayward?). One of the best matches I've seen in a while.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do people still play this?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone catch IPL3 Stephano vs. KiwkKaki (guy who knocked off Gordon Hayward?). One of the best matches I've seen in a while.
    Game 2 was absolutely ridiculous. Easily one of the best games I've seen as well. IPL3 was great to watch. It sucks that on day 2 they had internet problems due to a car accident taking comcast down. But the games were pretty damn good and the production quality was excellent. The company that produces The Office did the production for IPL3. Rumor has it that IPL4 will be in Las Vegas!

And we have had back to back tournaments won by foreigners (Idra and Stephano)! Hasn't been done since Huk took down DreamHack Summer and Homestory Cup 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    Do people still play this?
    Absolutely. The scene is flourishing. The CEO of MLG, Sundance, had a meeting with a TV executive about getting some MLG SC2 onto ESPN 2.

I stayed up til 4:30 am to watch Nestea vs MVP in GSL last night. It sucks that it wasn't the finals. MVP won 3-2 in a great series. GSL Finals will be taking place at Blizzcon in a week and a half too! Nestea and MVP will also be in the Blizzcon tournament the same weekend. If MVP takes both down thats gonna be ridiculous.

This weekend is MLG Orlando, which is gonna be amazing. Probably one of, if not the, most stacked tournament outside of Korea. Definitely check it out this weekend at MLG.tv. It starts Friday at 5 PM EST.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Absolutely. The scene is flourishing. The CEO of MLG, Sundance, had a meeting with a TV executive about getting some MLG SC2 onto ESPN 2.
    Theres no way they would put a computer game on espn2. It would be amazing, but no way.

Theres no way they would put a computer game on espn2. It would be amazing, but no way.
    Just wait and see. Sundance is a smart guy and with MLG getting roughly 1 million unique viewers for events, the viewership is there. If poker and the spelling bee can be on espn, so can sc2.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just wait and see. Sundance is a smart guy and with MLG getting roughly 1 million unique viewers for events, the viewership is there. If poker and the spelling bee can be on espn, so can sc2.
    I'm making the guess of no. It would be cool like I said, but I'm going to say no.

I'm making the guess of no. It would be cool like I said, but I'm going to say no.
    Why not?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why not?
    I just don't see ESPN being the network that wants to pay to broadcast a computer game.

I just don't see ESPN being the network that wants to pay to broadcast a computer game.
    Same is said about the Spelling Bee, those logging competitions, NASCAR, Madden Tournaments, fishing, poker and many other things that ESPN airs. If its a competition that gets viewers, ESPN will air it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Same is said about the Spelling Bee, those logging competitions, NASCAR, Madden Tournaments, fishing, poker and many other things that ESPN airs. If its a competition that gets viewers, ESPN will air it.
    Fishing and Poker are very popular American sports among millions of people. Starcraft is popular, among the young generation, that wouldn't pull in enough viewers to pay ESPN's bills. But we'll see what happens. I hope for the best.

Fishing and Poker are very popular American sports among millions of people. Starcraft is popular, among the young generation, that wouldn't pull in enough viewers to pay ESPN's bills. But we'll see what happens. I hope for the best.

The ESPN family of networks has broadcast Magic: The Gathering Tournaments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQuXalg4PKs) and NBC/Universial has broadcast Halo matches (on USA Network IIRC). Big name stations like ESPN and NBC can do it if they want to, and there is definitely a demographic wanting it.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The ESPN family of networks has broadcast Magic: The Gathering Tournaments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQuXalg4PKs) and NBC/Universial has broadcast Halo matches (on USA Network IIRC). Big name stations like ESPN and NBC can do it if they want to, and there is definitely a demographic wanting it.
    Maybe there is, I enjoy for sure. And I've watched the Magic: The Gathering tournaments on there before, so I know about all of that and the possibilities. But I simply said I don't think it will happen. There's just too muchy happening right now for ESPN to sign on Starcraft viewers. With NFL, NCAA Football, NCAA basketball, etc, etc, I just don 't see it happening.

Maybe there is, I enjoy for sure. And I've watched the Magic: The Gathering tournaments on there before, so I know about all of that and the possibilities. But I simply said I don't think it will happen. There's just too muchy happening right now for ESPN to sign on Starcraft viewers. With NFL, NCAA Football, NCAA basketball, etc, etc, I just don 't see it happening.
    Are they going to air it over a major sport? Of course not, but there is a lot of time in a day to fill and StarCraft can fit in there.

Oh and everyone should be watching MLG this weekend. Day 1 just wrapped up not to long ago and the foreigners looked really good today. Hopefully they keep it up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Random thoughts on MLG Orlando so far:
    Idra is looking great! I really hope he can get back to the top of his game because he is my favorite American player.

JULY IS BACK BABY. I haven't really followed him since his BW days but he wins against MC and Hero really make me happy.

I am really hopeful it won't be an all-korean final four. Idra may be the only hope for that. Maybe huk, too.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are they going to air it over a major sport? Of course not, but there is a lot of time in a day to fill and StarCraft can fit in there.

Fair enough.

Random thoughts on MLG Orlando so far:
    Idra is looking great! I really hope he can get back to the top of his game because he is my favorite American player.

JULY IS BACK BABY. I haven't really followed him since his BW days but he wins against MC and Hero really make me happy.

I am really hopeful it won't be an all-korean final four. Idra may be the only hope for that. Maybe huk, too.
    What a weekend! After a rocky Saturday for the foreigners, Sunday delivered. Idra's ZvT is down right amazing. Some of the best in the world. Taking down Bomber in macro games, holy ****. Taking 4th is impressive at this MLG.

And then Huk, once again just wins. He might be the best Protoss in the world. Taking down MKP, StC and MC on Championship Sunday, with only 1 loss, is pretty damn impressive.

This is the third major tournament won by Foreigners in 3 weeks. Where the **** did this come from? At past MLGs, Huk finishing 7th was our best foreigner performances. These are good Koreans too. MMA, MKP, July, Alive, Polt and so on. Sure no MVP or Nestea, but no one can beat those two.

IEM NY also happened this weekend where DRG beat FruitDealer in the finals, but the unknown American Protoss, Gatored actually beat DRG and oGs.Top. He ended up finishing 4th and dKiller finished 3rd, so still not a bad result for foreigners there, considering most the top ones were at MLG Orlando.

Blizzcon this weekend! And GSL Finals at Blizzcon!

Idra also played Boxer, Bomber, and MC in a span of about two hours, which I thought was pretty unfair.

I really, REALLY want Nestea to come to a US event. He is just miles ahead of everyone right now.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Idra also played Boxer, Bomber, and MC in a span of about two hours, which I thought was pretty unfair.

I really, REALLY want Nestea to come to a US event. He is just miles ahead of everyone right now.
    I watched Inside The Game (DJ Wheat hosts Idra, iNcontroL and Painuser) and Idra said he wasn't fatigued at all and that he played his best, he just isn't as good vs Protoss. At IPL, on the panel he did, he said he thinks the fatigue is overstated because they practice so much, it doesn't really matter.

And you are in luck this weekend my friend. Nestea is coming to the states, probably already here. He is playing at Blizzcon this weekend.

Nestea is great, but I think MVP is better. For sure, those two are miles ahead of the rest though. MVP can win GSL and Blizzcon this weekend.

Fun fact: Over $500,000 in prize money will be given away this month in sc2.

Here are the new multiplayer units for Heart of the Swarm!

In other sc2 news, EG has a partnership with SlayerS which will allow EG players to stay at the SlayerS house (probably the best training environment in the world). Huk and Puma will be moving in very soong. Idra and Demuslim will be headed there soonish and competing GSL Code A as well.

Quantic Gaming set up a partnership with Incredible Miracle (home of Nestea and MVP). Sase will live there permanently and Destiny will go over to train there as well. IM players will travel more now. Both MVP and Nestea will be at MLG Providence repping the QIM tag.

Blizzcon is going on right now. Nestea and MVP are on a crash course for each other right now. Also the GSL Code S finals are taking place tonight at Blizzcon. MVP looks to take his 4th title, while MMA looks to win the first championship for SlayerS. Its at 9:30 pacific.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Anyone else watch the GSL Finals? The crowd was absolutely amazing. Not only did the hall where it took place at fill up, the one next door did as well. I think there were over 20,000 people watching (including BW greats Jaedong, Jangbi, Fantasy, and Bisu who were at Blizzcon, invited by Blizzard, but it was never said why).

thats just the one hall where the finals were.

New HotS strat: Proxy nexus into replicator, replicate SCV, win with rine tank.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

New HotS strat: Proxy nexus into replicator, replicate SCV, win with rine tank.
    Mules and Marauders are better

MLG Championship time!

Naniwa taking the Global Invitational.. damn. I really never thought he had it in him. I knew he was good, but I thought he his still of play was simply outdated by the Koreans... but beating MVP AND Nestea back-to-back... holy cow.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Well, gotta hand it to Leenock... Naniwa looked un-freaking-touchalble, but Leenock just proved that a very well microed zerg is basically unbeatable. Congrats to the kid.

Carmel HS Class of 2011