3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: JJ Hickson now available

pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JJ makes more sense than Milsap or Smith. He is what this team needs and is only 22 y/o. I would not hesitate to give up a 1st for him depending on how long he is under contract. I would not trade the pick for a rental.

Edit: He is under control for 2 more years @ 2.3 and a little over 3mill.
    Getting him would be 10x better than the other PF's mentioned. He is already a better rebounder and athlete than Milsap ever will be.
    Last edited by troyc11a; 06-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    JJ makes more sense than Milsap or Smith. He is what this team needs and is only 22 y/o. I would not hesitate to give up a 1st for him depending on how long he is under contract. I would not trade the pick for a rental.
    I don't really understand how he is what this team needs. We need a long defender/rebounder at power forward. JJ is soft and he does a lot of floating around the perimeter. All that is secondary though, the real reason I don't want him is in your post. He's a 22 year old power forward on a team that is rebuilding. Why the hell would they trade someone like that if he was any good?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Edit: He is under control for 2 more years @ 2.3 and a little over 3mill.
    Getting him would be 10x better than the other PF's mentioned. He is already a better rebounder and athlete than Milsap ever will be.
    Man I'm really not trying to pick on you, I just seem to disagree with a lot of what you are posting tonight

JJ Hickson is absolutely, positively not a better rebounder than Paul Millsap. Athlete? Sure. But Millsap is a superior player at this juncture, and will always be a better rebounder. Millsap led the nation in rebounding in college, and is certainly no slouch in the NBA either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't really understand how he is what this team needs. We need a long defender/rebounder at power forward. JJ is soft and he does a lot of floating around the perimeter. All that is secondary though, the real reason I don't want him is in your post. He's a 22 year old power forward on a team that is rebuilding. Why the hell would they trade someone like that if he was any good?
    They want to somehow get Derrick Williams to replace him

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Yeah, I get that, and it makes perfect sense. I just don't know if JJ Hickson (redundant on Minnesota) + #4 pick would do the trick. I don't know if they are offering him just for this particular reason, or if he's available to the highest bidder.

Mood

Yeah, I get that, and it makes perfect sense. I just don't know if JJ Hickson (redundant on Minnesota) + #4 pick would do the trick. I don't know if they are offering him just for this particular reason, or if he's available to the highest bidder.
    Minney already has enough PF's and SF's they shouldn't be interested in JJ. I would think that it would be a 3 team trade if anything happens to get a asset to trade up to #2

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

I have read on several sites this evening that Irving is not a lock. That Cavs may take Williams at 1 and Knight at 4. They may also be looking to trade JJ to gat a SG or SF. They will be heavy in both positions PF/PG. Just a thought.

Man I'm really not trying to pick on you, I just seem to disagree with a lot of what you are posting tonight

JJ Hickson is absolutely, positively not a better rebounder than Paul Millsap. Athlete? Sure. But Millsap is a superior player at this juncture, and will always be a better rebounder. Millsap led the nation in rebounding in college, and is certainly no slouch in the NBA either.
    Thanks for not picking on me!

How is Milsap a better rebounder when Hickson outrebounds him? Hickson averages a rebound more every game and is doing it at 22 years of age. If you want to argue better player, that is fair. Arguing that a guy who rebounds less is actually a superior rebounder. I am not buying that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

I have read on several sites this evening that Irving is not a lock. That Cavs may take Williams at 1 and Knight at 4. They may also be looking to trade JJ to gat a SG or SF, they will be heavy in both positions. Just a thought.
    Meh, he's as near a lock as you can get. The Cavs are just posturing. Poorly.

Sports Logo

According to the CBS article:

Hickson was at one point considered a major building block for the Cavs, but he struggled under Byron Scott, especially at the offensive end where he shot 46 percent, a significant drop off from previous seasons once he was given more minutes. Hickson is still young, though, and on a team that isn't, you know, hemorrhaging like roadkill, he could be a useful frontcourt rotation player. Maybe Cleveland can ship him to a contender needing talented big men who aren't aging, somewhere that needs depth. Oh. like Miam....oh. Nevermind.
    If we are too look at the PF options that MAY ( or may not ) be on the market......players like Josh Smith or Milsap.....IMHO...I think that either of them are going to cost too much for us to get. But if ALL the Cavs are asking for is #15 for him...I'd easily take him...heck, I'd even expand it to #15+BRush for Hickson+32 .

Salarywise....he makes $2.3 mil in 2011-2012 and can become a RFA in 2012-2013...so we don't lose out on losing any real capspace if he's a total failure.

At worst, he's a rental ( just like BRush is ) and he's certainly better then anybody that we can get at #15 ( assuming that Brooks and Jimmer are drafted before 15...which is the likely case ). At best, we get a 13/8 athletic and somewhat experienced PF that cost us IMHO very little in a draft that happens to suck IF we are left with a pick of Klay/Hamilton/Fariad or anyone not named Brooks or Jimmer.

#15 ( and some change ) for Hickson is the very definition of a "low risk / high reward" move.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-17-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Derrick Williams > P. Milsap
    Derrick Williams > JJ Hickson
    Derrick Williams > Josh Smith

So, if the Cavs could get Irving and Williams in this draft, how long until they are a contender?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Regardless...if ALL the Cavs are asking for is #15 for him...I'd easily take him...heck, I'd even expand it to #15+BRush for Hickson+32 .

Salarywise....he makes $2.3 mil in 2011-2012 and can become a RFA in 2012-2013...so we don't lose out on losing any real capspace if he's a total failure.

At worst, he's a rental ( just like BRush is ) and he's certainly better then anybody that we can get at #15 ( assuming that Brooks and Jimmer are drafted before 15...which is the likely case ).

At best, we get a 13/8 athletic and somewhat experienced PF that cost us IMHO very little that is the very definition of a "low risk / high reward" move.
    Ding Ding Ding - some common sense has finally arrived to this board!!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

I don't know a ton about JJ but I would not mind the Pacers trading for him. He is young and still on his rookie contract. He would provide some much needed athleticism to the frontcourt. He put up decent numbers as a starter last season (14 pts, 9 rebs, 29 MPG).

JJ won't be a difference maker like a Josh Smith or Paul Millsap would be. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good addition though if the price is right.

Thanks for not picking on me!

How is Milsap a better rebounder when Hickson outrebounds him? Hickson averages a rebound more every game and is doing it at 22 years of age. If you want to argue better player, that is fair. Arguing that a guy who rebounds less is actually a superior rebounder. I am not buying that.
    This past year he had less rebounds, career wise (not a totally fair argument) Millsap has been better. After glancing at the stats I'm actually surprised at Hickson's rebounding numbers. They are higher than I thought. Still, I take Hickson's stats with a grain of salt. He played on a horrible team. Either way, it's negligble to me.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Meh, he's as near a lock as you can get. The Cavs are just posturing. Poorly.
    If it was me I would take Williams and Knight. Not even a second thought!

But, We will see in a few more days!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I certainly don't think he 10X better than Milsap but how is he a better rebounder than JJ?

Stats don't tell it all but JJ got more boards in less minutes than Milsap this year.

Give me Milsap every time but I think JJ will average more boards than Milsap in his NBA career.
    We really need a player like JJ. His rebounding and athleticsim is better than anything we will get at the 15 spot. Milsap might be better right now but he will never be the rebounder or athlete JJ is. And that is what this team needs, an athletic 4 who can get up and down the court and rebound. Milsap is a decent player, but his talents do not in any way match up with our need. We already have a smaller, less than athletic 4. Dont need another one. (BTW- I love Tyler, not a crack on him at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I don't know a ton about JJ but I would not mind the Pacers trading for him. He is young and still on his rookie contract. He would provide some much needed athleticism to the frontcourt. He put up decent numbers as a starter last season (14 pts, 9 rebs, 29 MPG).

JJ won't be a difference maker like a Josh Smith or Paul Millsap would be. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good addition though if the price is right.
    I would take Brooks over a trade with JJ. I would even take Klay Thompson over JJ.

Personally JJ won't be that much better than tyler to justify trading away 2 fringe starters (Rush/Klay) for a starting pf on a bad team.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

If we are too look at the PF options that MAY ( or may not ) be on the market......players like Josh Smith or Milsap.....IMHO...I think that either of them are going to cost too much for us to get. But if ALL the Cavs are asking for is #15 for him...I'd easily take him...heck, I'd even expand it to #15+BRush for Hickson+32 .

At worst, he's a rental ( just like BRush is ) and he's certainly better then anybody that we can get at #15 ( assuming that Brooks and Jimmer are drafted before 15...which is the likely case ). At best, we get a 13/8 athletic and somewhat experienced PF that cost us IMHO very little that is the very definition of a "low risk / high reward" move.
    I wouldn't slam the phone down at a Hickson-for-#15 offer. I'd think about it certainly. But he was only a 13/8 player because he played on a crappy team with no other options. You bring him in here and he won't get anything near that. Is he better than Tyler Hansbrough? Good enough to start? I don't think so. He would provide nice depth, but he isn't a great fit, and if we are going to trade the #15 pick, I'd rather get a veteran who more solidly fills a need. With Hickson, you are rolling the dice a little bit, which is fine for the cost, but just not my top preference of what to do with the asset.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

This past year he had less rebounds, career wise (not a totally fair argument) Millsap has been better. After glancing at the stats I'm actually surprised at Hickson's rebounding numbers. They are higher than I thought. Still, I take Hickson's stats with a grain of salt. He played on a horrible team. Either way, it's negligble to me.
    Utah wasnt great either. Hey, neither player is what this team needs to be a champion. We need multiple pieces. JJ is cheaper with more upside and I just think he fits into the pieces we already have better. On another team, I can see fans getting more excited over Milsap than JJ. But not Pacer fans.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Mood

If it was me I would take Williams and Knight. Not even a second thought!

But, We will see in a few more days!
    Dwill i can kind of understand but dont really. But Knight wtf? that guy is a project at the pg he still needs a lot of work his handles are sloppy and he is a project IMO at the pg i think he would do fine at sg.

Kyrie is going #1 and for very good reason IMO

We really need a player like JJ. His rebounding and athleticsim is better than anything we will get at the 15 spot. Milsap might be better right now but he will never be the rebounder or athlete JJ is. And that is what this team needs, an athletic 4 who can get up and down the court and rebound. Milsap is a decent player, but his talents do not in any way match up with our need. We already have a smaller, less than athletic 4. Dont need another one. (BTW- I love Tyler, not a crack on him at all)
    You left out the #1 biggest need for us in a power forward: Defense. Does Hickson play much defense?

Utah wasnt great either. Hey, neither player is what this team needs to be a champion. We need multiple pieces. JJ is cheaper with more upside and I just think he fits into the pieces we already have better. On another team, I can see fans getting more excited over Milsap than JJ. But not Pacer fans.
    I'm not arguing for or against Millsap: I don't want him either.