Thread: Phil Jackson to commentate Christmas day game

Default Phil Jackson to commentate Christmas day game

http://www.latimes.com/services/site...ered.intercept (Must register to read.)

ABC's Idea of a Triangle Could Feature Jackson

As if Kobe Bryant vs. Shaquille O'Neal isn't enough to hype the much-anticipated Christmas Day game between the Lakers and Miami Heat at Staples Center, there is also a possibility that former Laker coach Phil Jackson will be courtside working as the ABC commentator alongside Al Michaels.
    ABC Sports executive producer Mike Pearl, looking for a replacement for Doc Rivers, now the Boston Celtics' coach, is talking with Jackson's agent in Chicago, Todd Musburger.

Brian Musburger, who works with his father Todd, said Thursday it could happen. Jackson could not be reached for comment but he has indicated that while he does not want to work a full schedule he might be available for a few games. The Christmas Day game would be ideal.

Jackson's girlfriend, Jeanie Buss, said, "Like anyone else whose significant other is no longer working full-time, I'd like to see Phil do something before he drives me crazy."

Added Buss: "Seriously, I think it's a great opportunity. But I don't control him. It will be his decision."

As for Jackson working on Christmas Day, Buss said that could present a problem.

"He is very close with his [five] children and I know he would want to spend Christmas Day with them," Buss said.

But what fun he could have at Staples Center that day. And he might be able to work in a few plugs for his book as well.

[edit=390=1097845048][/edit]

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Phil Jackson to commentate Christmas day game

Sounds like a dysfuncational holiday reunion to me , could be good for those bored on Christmas

woman without a team

Shaq, Kobe, and Phil together for Christmas. Its enough to make me hope I have to work.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd love for ABC to advertise this as [cue Dave Dugan], "you think your family Christmas is dysfunctional? Tune in and watch this mess...

[Right after a special Christmas edition of McGyver]"

[edit=72=1097856398][/edit]
    [edit=72=1097857028][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

woman without a team

I hope ABC does hire Phil Jackson. Because he could be a very good, if he want to work at it.

I don't think I would agree with you there UB. Its well established that Phillip's best coaching attribute was keeping the chemistry between big egos. He's never been much of an X and O guy unless its the Triangle and only the Triangle. His assistants were the ones that criticted game play for the most part and I haven't seen anything that shows he's a good "presonality". While I admit that I prefer the commentators that focus more on technical breakdown (like Doug Collins) I can't see Phillip as performing well in any of the standard commentator roles. That being said an argument might be made that he would bring something new to the table with his chemistry/Eastern Philosophy/attitude focus.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he played "dumb" to make his assistants feel important.

All the guys on Red Holzman's Knicks teams were cerebral about the game.

I think he'd be okay. I just think he's such a dck that I wouldn't enjoy listening to him.

But I like Bill Walton, especially when teamed with Tom Hammond and Snapper Jones, so what do I know?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I have heard Phil, especially when he was the Bulls coach, give a clinic on X's and O's. he seemd to change in the past few years or perhaps I just did not follow him as much as I did back in the early 90's, but I used to listen to the Bulls pregame shows and Phil's coaches show out of Chicago. Phil knows the X's and O's as well as anyone and when he want to he can talk to the public about.

Personally, I would rather be run over by a pack of wild....anything...before having listen to him. Man do I hate his guts. There are very few people who make me do that, and he is the tops. I hope he gets his head stuck in a toilet before he comes on ABC. Of course, i wont be watching in the first place.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I would rather be run over by a pack of wild....anything...before having listen to him. Man do I hate his guts. There are very few people who make me do that, and he is the tops. I hope he gets his head stuck in a toilet before he comes on ABC. Of course, i wont be watching in the first place.
    I am confused so do you like Phil Jackson or not