Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Foul: The Donaghy Book

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Personal Foul: The Donaghy Book

Anybody ever read it? I'm 8 chapters in and all I can say is....."WOW"

Really opens ur eyes. Its only 15 bucks at Barnes N Nobles, Borders etc and 10 most online retailers, do yourself a favor and pick it up
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Default Re: Personal Foul: The Donaghy Book

I thought it was blocked from being published ? Never knew they ended up releasing it. Ill have to go look for it then.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aero For This Useful Post:

Big Rob, please just tell me one thing, does it implicate David Stern in influencing the games in favor of the superstars and major markets?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've read it, but when you want to discuss it, it doesn't hold much credibility with those you'd like to actually discuss it with. Personally, I can see a lot of what he talks about "possibly" happening, however.... I can see him over embellishing a lot of what he is talking about.

All in all, I enjoyed reading it!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Does he give any real insight to officiating or is it just over-the-top and bitter allegations

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big Rob, please just tell me one thing, does it implicate David Stern in influencing the games in favor of the superstars and major markets?
    of course lol

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I've read it, but when you want to discuss it, it doesn't hold much credibility with those you'd like to actually discuss it with. Personally, I can see a lot of what he talks about "possibly" happening, however.... I can see him over embellishing a lot of what he is talking about.

All in all, I enjoyed reading it!
    i'm sure parts are embellished, but with all the details; its hard to discredit the entire thing. I would imagine at least 80% of it to be true

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Does he give any real insight to officiating or is it just over-the-top and bitter allegations
    Its very insightful. Nothing like "He didn't like Kobe, so he continuously calls traveling and then makes fun of his mom". Instead he gives stories of WHY the refs dont like or do like players, and how for a few calls a game try to mess with the player. Everythign seems to be first hand, no "and i heard"
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I felt there was a lot of good stuff talking about the day in day out stuff about the job before he really started talking about his own life and how he got hooked into the underworld. Really, the story is more about himself even though he doesn't hold back on how he feels there are issues with how the NBA handles its officials.

I do like how he got into how the certain officials personalities and interactions with players would influence how they may call a game. Honestly, I thought there was a lot of interesting and believable things in there. As MTO explained.... he lays some of the most egregious claims out very well that if you don't take them at face value.... you do at least think about them.

I do suggest reading it for the entertainment value.... Walk away with what you feel you can believe.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 06-16-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

I did not realize this was released, thank you for the update. I just purchased it. Not sure how much of it I will beleive, but at the very least it should be a fun book to read

It sucks it's a discredited ref that came out with this, because while I'm convinced a lot of games are influenced, I also believe he is bitter and will make a lot of stuff up. I'd love to here what he says about Stern though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Mood

I read one of his claims was that a certain official (Bavetta,I believe)would always give a bunch of calls to the home team if they were getting blown out to try and get them back in it.

A blog did a breakdown of the foul calls and showed the claim was bogus.

I'd link it but I read that forever ago and don't remember what site it was.
    Pacers,baby!

I thought the NBA threatened to sue if it was written or something? I didn't know it actually was released. I will have to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by HeliumFear View Post
    I read one of his claims was that a certain official (Bavetta,I believe)would always give a bunch of calls to the home team if they were getting blown out to try and get them back in it.

A blog did a breakdown of the foul calls and showed the claim was bogus.

I'd link it but I read that forever ago and don't remember what site it was.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...p-weaker-teams

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that.

I just bought ratethenbarefs.com, and one of my projects for next year (or whereever we have a season) is to tape a game (not a Pacers) and go through and break down each call, observing what refs made them.

It will be a huge time consumer, but I think it might be fascinating to see if any trends exist.

Mood

really enjoyed the book, took it with a grain of salt of course, but believe (however embellished) his claims were true about the refs and how the refs are "trained" before games
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    really enjoyed the book, took it with a grain of salt of course, but believe (however embellished) his claims were true about the refs and how the refs are "trained" before games
    What do you mean by "trained"

Guys a convicted liar and cheat. I wouldn't believe enough of what he said to read it. I hope nobody else would either. He has everything to gain by lying.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    What do you mean by "trained"
    they show footage of missed calls and/or explain that certain players have been getting away with things and that they should be cracked down on. Only (as he explains it) they say it in "seedy" ways and leave it up to the refs as how to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Guys a convicted liar and cheat. I wouldn't believe enough of what he said to read it. I hope nobody else would either. He has everything to gain by lying.
    hearing this makes me think you have NO idea of the situation. How did he cheat? He was convicted of NOTHING that has ANYTHING to do with cheating NBA games.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I just finished reading this a couple weeks ago. Sadly I tend to believe 90% of what he wrote. He may have embellished, but in broad strokes most of what he said, I believe, is probably right.

I would recommend it to any NBA fan. If for no other reason than entertainment value. I always like hearing the kinda "behind the scenes" stories about players and so forth. There are a couple hilarious stories in there that come to mind.

1. Apparently Charles Barkley at some point got pissed at Donaghy and dumped a bucket of ice on Donaghy as he was showering post game.

2. He says Dick Bavetta once ran out of the shower buck naked to intercept media questions directed at the other refs. (Sorry for scarring you all for life with that mental image)

I was always a little leery of this whole scandal and how quickly Stern was able to make it disappear. This book gives a little insight to the other side.

Does not mean he is lying about this. I'm sure the NBA would like you to believe he is such a dirty scumbag and that none of what he said could be true. Why would he want to take on the NBA? I don't see why he would be bitter towards the NBA at all?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...;storyMediaBox

Everything he says seems pretty plausible here. The startling factor is that he had an almost 80% success rate betting on games and they weren't all just games he was officiating. The FBI guy also says he hasn't lied about anything.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

You are dead wrong!!! He admitted to the FBI that the NBA is considered "entertainment" so therefore the league can legally dictate to the officials who wins and loses, who gets the calls, etc... The FBI never investigated this claim because it is LEGAL!!!

I'm sorry but when you talk to the FBI to get your sentenced REDUCED, you DON'T LIE! Everyone thinks "yea he would lie to them to get ouy of trouble," but the truth is if you lie to the FBI they WILL find out you were lying and ADD YEARS, not take them away. Donaghy helped friends bet on games, but the league still dictated alot to him on what he would call, who he would call, what team, if any, should get the favorable calls, etc...

He told the FBI the truth. The NBA is fixed by TPTB in the FO, and maybe even deeper than that. Look at the ruling on the Pat's "Spygate" in the NFL. The US Supreme Court ruled that the NFL is considered "entertainment" so a team can't be held criminally liable for "cheating," and the league offices in all major sports cannot be considered criminals for dictating to the refs who wins because their leagues are categorized as "ENTERTAINMENT!!!"

Everyone who believes the leagues are all 100 percent clean and honest, you are the biggest sheep I have ever seen. Sadly it is most of the population. Bahhhhh.

And all of you doubters watched Reggie never win one because of bad call after bad call, and truly believe the league didn't have a hand in that.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 06-20-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...;storyMediaBox

Everything he says seems pretty plausible here. The startling factor is that he had an almost 80% success rate betting on games and they weren't all just games he was officiating. The FBI guy also says he hasn't lied about anything.
    I didn't even read you post fully but you were dead on. Read my post. It is what really happened. He never lied to the FBI. He told them the truth, which is why he didn't rot in prison forever. The FBI just can't do anything because it is legal.

How else would he have been right 80 percent of the time? He was an inside connection. He knew who the league would dictate to win certain games and he would bet on them. Still sometimes the other teams play so good, even the refs can't beat them. I've seen this happen several times in my life. Probably about 20 percent of the time, so it makes alot of sense.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 06-20-2011 at 02:46 AM.

And the NBA is full of saints who would never lie, especially about how games are reffed.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Of course I thought I would see UncleBuck in here shilling it up for the league office.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

You don't need Donaghy's words to show that NBA reffing isn't always on the up and up... you instead have his actions.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: