Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102

Thread: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...e=NBAHeadlines

    July 1 is also the day the Clippers could begin negotiations on an extension with Gordon, one of their leading scorers from last year's team. If this was a normal year, all indications are that the team would do so the second the clock struck 9:01 p.m. in Los Angeles on June 30.

    While there was previously some uncertainty over whether Gordon would sign a long-term extension with the team after it lost 116 games his first two seasons, a source close to the situation said that much of that uncertainty has been allayed after the Clippers traded guard Baron Davis to the Cleveland Cavaliers in February.

    Gordon made little secret of his feelings about Davis, the oft-injured point guard whose work ethic and inconsistent play hamstrung the franchise for two seasons before he enjoyed a resurgence in the 2010-11 season.

    In a postgame interview in December of 2009, Gordon famously said of Davis, "Last year, he never was focused. I'm just going to say it."

    This past season, the Clippers made a noticeable effort to put the ball into Gordon's hands more often, letting the offense flow through him and Griffin. He averaged a career-high 22.3 points in 56 games before a wrist injury derailed the final few months of his season.

    Gordon is under contract for $3.8 million in 2011-12. Under the terms of the current CBA, the team would be able extend him a qualifying offer of $5.1 million before June 30, 2012 and make him a restricted free agent. If he hasn't signed an extension before that time, Gordon could accept the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013.

    Griffin can become a restricted free agent after the 2013 season and unrestricted free agent after the 2014 season.

    After sitting out the entire 2009-10 season with a knee injury, he returned to post an All-Star caliber year for the Clippers last season.

    On the season, he posted averages of 22.5 points and 12.1 rebounds and recorded 63 double-doubles. He was the only player in the NBA to average at least 20 points, 12 rebounds and three assists, was the first rookie to be voted into the All-Star Game since Tim Duncan in 1998 and was a six-time Rookie of the Month selection for the Western Conference.

    In January of this year, Olshey told ESPNLosAngeles.com that Griffin, the reigning Rookie of the Year, "will only ever be a Clipper."

    Of course, Olshey is currently only under contract through October of 2011.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #2
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    I really hope they sign him long term so we stop with the EJ to Indy nonsense.

  5. #4
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    I think he loves his hometown but the reality of a core of Griffin, Jordan, and EJ is way too tempting
    Sittin on top of the world!

  6. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,815

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?



    Seriously, that would suck. A lot.

  7. #6
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,214

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    I don't think there will ever be a player with Gordons talent that actually loves the Midwest again. everybody I know wants to get away.

  8. #7
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,518

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    There are so many holes in Griffin's game he might as well be swiss cheese. Being able to jump high only lasts you for so many seasons. I hope EJ flat out rejects the extension!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  9. #8
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,815

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are so many holes in Griffin's game he might as well be swiss cheese. Being able to jump high only lasts you for so many seasons. I hope EJ flat out rejects the extension, then demands a trade to the Pacers!
    Fixed.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,214

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    If the Clippers just wanted to get rid of BD why not just bench him and draft Kyrie Irving.

    Let's hope that the Pacers win 50 games next year (if no lockout) and Clippers win less than 30.

  12. #10
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,518

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fixed.
    I dont' think he would demand a trade though, they could be ultra spitefull and bench him for the whole year. He wouldn't want to jeopardize his playing time.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  13. #11
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Seriously, that would suck. A lot.
    As much as I want EJ to bring back to Indy, I think a standard of integrity (that is, remaining with the team to which they were drafted) would be a good mindset to bring back to the NBA.

    Though EJ signing an extension would be nice to lower the "EJ to Indy" discussion (or rather, insistence), I would still much rather have him skip out on LA and come home to make our team a lot better.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  14. #12
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are so many holes in Griffin's game he might as well be swiss cheese. Being able to jump high only lasts you for so many seasons. I hope EJ flat out rejects the extension!
    did you forget the green here or are you (gulp) being serious?


    Sittin on top of the world!

  15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Im glad im not the only one who hated Baron Davis's effort!

  17. #14
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are so many holes in Griffin's game he might as well be swiss cheese. Being able to jump high only lasts you for so many seasons. I hope EJ flat out rejects the extension!
    It's been mentioned to death, but again, the guy is restricted. Unless a team offers him an obscene amount of money the Clippers are matching. He really has no say.

  18. #15
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Ask the Pacers front court how many "holes" they see in Griffin's game

    if he is swiss cheese. Tyler's a donut
    Sittin on top of the world!

  19. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's been mentioned to death, but again, the guy is restricted. Unless a team offers him an obscene amount of money the Clippers are matching. He really has no say.
    like i have said 100 times the only way it happens is if EJ takes a 1 year deal and then becomes URFA the next year which is extremely risky for him. Or if he demands a trade.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  21. #17

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    I think EJ would be a little crazy to bank on the fact that Griffin will be with the Clips for any lengthy amount of time. I find it hard to believe he won't bolt from that ridiculous organization ASAP...

  22. #18
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think EJ would be a little crazy to bank on the fact that Griffin will be with the Clips for any lengthy amount of time. I find it hard to believe he won't bolt from that ridiculous organization ASAP...
    ASAP would be like 5-7 years, depending on years on Blake's new deal.
    For the duration of Gordon's next contract, they will be together, no way around it baring Clippers trades.

  23. #19
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,815

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    I don't think he will either, but it would be nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont' think he would demand a trade though, they could be ultra spitefull and bench him for the whole year. He wouldn't want to jeopardize his playing time.

  24. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    did you forget the green here or are you (gulp) being serious?


    He is measuring him with the Gordon Hayward standard and nobody gets close to that
    Last edited by vnzla81; 06-15-2011 at 03:25 PM.

  25. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Gordon is under contract for $3.8 million in 2011-12. Under the terms of the current CBA, the team would be able extend him a qualifying offer of $5.1 million before June 30, 2012 and make him a restricted free agent. If he hasn't signed an extension before that time, Gordon could accept the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013.
    .

  26. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    I would also ad that if I was EJ I would rather play with a 21/22 years old all star player in BG than come to Indy and play with a 28 years old former all star in Danny, is not even close.

  27. #23
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,518

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's been mentioned to death, but again, the guy is restricted. Unless a team offers him an obscene amount of money the Clippers are matching. He really has no say.
    Sure sure, but if he rejects an extension and enters RFA then we could offer him a one year max contract, clippers could match, but then he would be free to sign here the next year. But if it came to this outcome, there would be a greater chance to work out a sign and trade agreement, because why would LA want to pay him 14-15 million for one year only to lose him for nothing? They wouldn't, they would want to the Pacers to send a package of Danny Granger and a 1st plus filler their way. So you say he has no say but he really does.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  28. #24
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure sure, but if he rejects an extension and enters RFA then we could offer him a one year max contract, clippers could match, but then he would be free to sign here the next year. But if it came to this outcome, there would be a greater chance to work out a sign and trade agreement, because why would LA want to pay him 14-15 million for one year only to lose him for nothing? They wouldn't, they would want to the Pacers to send a package of Danny Granger and a 1st plus filler their way. So you say he has no say but he really does.
    This is assuming he accepts a one-year contract. Which I find highly unlikely, i don't care how much much he allegedly wants to come back to Indy.

    Edit: And i'm pretty sure your first post- rookie scale contract has to be for at least 3 years.

  29. #25
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,518

    Default Re: Eric Gordon likely to re-up with Clippers?

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    did you forget the green here or are you (gulp) being serious?


    Seriously, he is a good player, fun to watch. Love the high lights reels, but he is not a sound basketball player. No jumper, lacks consistent defense, to many risky plays trying to add to his highlight reel resulting in lots of TO's, he is a terrible from the foul line. This guy was an all-star based off his highlight dunking ability and that is all. 12 rebounds a game is very impressive though.

    But like i said, he has multiple holes in his game. Not an elite player yet. Maybe he fixes these holes, maybe he doesn't. But a team with so much talent one would think they could muster more than 30 wins.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 06-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 12:50 AM
  5. Tbird draft analysis: Eric Gordon
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •