Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chad Ford's Mock draft 5.0

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chad Ford's Mock draft 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know what it's SUPPOSED to do, but it's not good at what it's doing.

If I tell you that Jimmer Ferdette and Brandon Rush are both in the same tier, do you think that Jimmer will turn out like Brandon or like how Brandon was supposed to turnout?

I picture him turning into the Brandon Rush that we know, not the Brandon Rush that he was supposed to be.

Once a player is drafted, and starts producing on the court, they should be moved into the tiers based on play and not projection. He's not comparing them to anything tangible.

When you think of Brandon Rush, you think of what he is rather than what he was supposed to be.
    Umm so yes I am thinking about him turning out to a player with similar success to what Brandon was supposed to have, and that is the point... I don't get what u are trying to get at...

This is only talking about pre-draft potential, that is all... what would you like teams to make their decisions off of post draft potentials which they won't know for years.

And reference to the players from the past just show how accurate these have been..

I think the thing is that you are interpreting this who thing wrong, if they tell you that these tiers are supposed to show pre-draft potential of players then why would you making the assumption that Jimmer will turnout to be as productive as Rush... but somewhere between the range of previous tier 4 draft picks, you are looking at one specific case.

How about this if you want other tier 4 players that were successful then here u go, Paul George... just compare those two maybe that will make u happier.

When looking at the list of previous tier 4 players and seeing what they have did the expectations often do pretty well...

Tier 4 (non all-star role players):

Darrell Arthur, Donte Greene, DeAndre Jordan, Kosta Koufos, Brandon Rush, DeJuan Blair, Earl Clark, Austin Daye, Tyler Hansbrough, Gerald Henderson, Brandon Jennings, James Johnson, Ty Lawson, Eric Maynor, B.J. Mullens, DaJuan Summers, Jeff Teague, Terrence Williams, Sam Young, Cole Aldrich, Luke Babbitt, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Gordon Hayward, Xavier Henry, Paul George, Patrick Patterson, Ekpe Udoh

Not too many of these players have All-Star potential from when they got into the league, only a select few have showed that type of talent. So looking at the overall trend, that is most likely what the group from this year will turnout to be, most likely somewhere between a tier 5 and tier 3 player...

If you want to interpret this more you can take away that these tier 4 players have a very ultra small possibility of ever showing tier 2 or tier 1 success...

Again this is just pre-draft potential aka where do you think their ceiling is.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    I moved this to it's own thread

*I based the needs off of who the Pacers have been bringing in for workouts and we all know we need a PF and a scorer*

So based on Pacers needs (PF, SG, PG, C, SF in that order), then the Pacers tiers would look like this:

Tier 1
    None

Tier 2
    Derrick Williams (PF)
    Kyrie Irving (PG)

Tier 3
    Enes Kanter (PF/C)
    Jan Vesely (PF)
    Brandon Knight (PG)
    Kemba Walker (PG)
    Jonas Valanciunas (C)
    Kawhi Leonard (SF)

Tier 4
    Tristan Thompson (PF)
    Bismack Biyombo (PF)
    Alec Burks (SG)
    Jimmer Fredette (SG/PG)
    Marshon Brooks (SG) (moved to tier 4 based on Pacers interest of him)
    Klay Thompson (SG)
    Marcus Morris (SF)
    Chris Singleton (SF)

Tier 5
    Kenneth Faried (PF)
    Markieff Morris (PF)
    Donatas Motiejunas (PF)
    Reggie Jackson (PG)
    Darius Morris (PG)
    Josh Selby (PG)
    Nikola Vucevic (C)
    Jordan Hamilton (SF)
    Tobias Harris (SF)
    Davis Bertans (SF)
    Tyler Honeycutt (SF)
    Nikola Mirotic (SF)

So essentially we could just go down the list and mark people off and whoever is the highest left would be our pick....interesting.
    Yup and one thing to keep in mind is that all teams have different tier boards, some teams might have darius Morris as a tier 4 player so when they draft him earlier it isn't really like they are going out side of their tier system.

Also one thing to keep in mind is that the tier system is just made up of counting numbers, so occasionally if there is a person that is a high tier 5 player compared to a low tier 4 player then maybe go with the tier 5 player if they are a better match for your team.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Also one thing to keep in mind is that the tier system is just made up of counting numbers, so occasionally if there is a person that is a high tier 5 player compared to a low tier 4 player then maybe go with the tier 5 player if they are a better match for your team.
    That's how I would do it but according to Chad you never take someone from Tier 5 if someone from Tier 4 is still available, that's why you put them on Tier 4 because you think they are that much better than Tier 5.

Chad Forde: "The rules are pretty simple. A team always drafts its highest-ranked player in a given tier. Also, a team never takes a player from a lower tier if one from a higher tier is available. So, for example, the Bucks are drafting No. 10 (Tier 4 territory); if Kawhi Leonard (a Tier 3 player) is on the board, they take him regardless of positional need. If the Bucks have Klay Thompson ranked No. 1 in Tier 4, they still take Leonard, even though shooting guard is a more pressing need."
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 06-16-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Umm so yes I am thinking about him turning out to a player with similar success to what Brandon was supposed to have, and that is the point... I don't get what u are trying to get at...

This is only talking about pre-draft potential, that is all... what would you like teams to make their decisions off of post draft potentials which they won't know for years.
    I can't say it any other way. Maybe I'm just failing at putting it down into words, but I'll try again.

The idea behind the tiers are correct. I understand the difference between a tier 1 player, and a tier 4 player.

But it doesn't matter what tier a player was in, in a draft from 3 years ago. When we think of a player, we don't think of what we thought he would be, we think of what he IS.

So when you see Jimmer in the 4th tier, and then he uses Brandon Rush as an example of a 4th tier, you start thinking that Jimmer will have similiar production to what Brandon has been producing, rather than what he was projected as producing.

Once a player establishes himself into the league, you don't really think too much about what the expectations were for them. Rather, you think of what they are.

It just makes it a little confusing, because you then have to think of how the compared player was supposed to turn out, rather than how they actually did turn out.

Can you remember who BRush was compared too when he was just a prospect? I can't. But I can tell you his value, as it is today.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    That's how I would do it but according to Chad you never take someone from Tier 5 if someone from Tier 4 is still available, that's why you put them on Tier 4 because you think they are that much better than Tier 5.

Chad Forde: "The rules are pretty simple. A team always drafts its highest-ranked player in a given tier. Also, a team never takes a player from a lower tier if one from a higher tier is available. So, for example, the Bucks are drafting No. 10 (Tier 4 territory); if Kawhi Leonard (a Tier 3 player) is on the board, they take him regardless of positional need. If the Bucks have Klay Thompson ranked No. 1 in Tier 4, they still take Leonard, even though shooting guard is a more pressing need."
    Yeah that part doesn't make as much sense to me then.. I know one them that definitively goes by that standard, lol the T'wolves... I guess this can work out really bad, especially if the players don't turnout to be anywhere near successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I can't say it any other way. Maybe I'm just failing at putting it down into words, but I'll try again.

The idea behind the tiers are correct. I understand the difference between a tier 1 player, and a tier 4 player.

But it doesn't matter what tier a player was in, in a draft from 3 years ago. When we think of a player, we don't think of what we thought he would be, we think of what he IS.

So when you see Jimmer in the 4th tier, and then he uses Brandon Rush as an example of a 4th tier, you start thinking that Jimmer will have similiar production to what Brandon has been producing, rather than what he was projected as producing.

Once a player establishes himself into the league, you don't really think too much about what the expectations were for them. Rather, you think of what they are.

It just makes it a little confusing, because you then have to think of how the compared player was supposed to turn out, rather than how they actually did turn out.

Can you remember who BRush was compared too when he was just a prospect? I can't. But I can tell you his value, as it is today.
    Ok, gotcha... Thanks man..

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Jonathan Givony's Yahoo mock has us being interested in getting Minnesota's #20

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ug=ycn-8648301

It’s difficult to see Minnesota adding another rookie, considering that they already have two slated to join their roster in Ricky Rubio and the No. 2 overall pick. This could be a prime location for a team to swoop in and take a talented player who is dropping down the board. At 18 years old, Tobias Harris isn’t ready to play big minutes for an NBA team right away, but has plenty of upside. Golden State, Indiana and other teams are reportedly among those looking the hardest at acquiring this pick.

Mood

I know we're mentioned as wanting to go up and/or down, but if I had to guess, we're just aggressively trying to compile as many different options as possible, so when the time comes, they can hopefully have a few different options they like (up, down, or out), and then decide which they like best. I don't think it's necessarily them being fixated on one particular kind of move.