Thread: Single-A Baseball team pokes fun at LeBron with "ring" promotion

Default Single-A Baseball team pokes fun at LeBron with "ring" promotion

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=6661570

For one night, fans of the Peoria Chiefs can have their own replica of LeBron James' first championship ring.

Call it the cheapest promotion in sports history because, like James' ring, the handout doesn't exist.

The Chiefs, a Class A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs in the Midwest League, will hold a LeBron James NBA Championship Replica Giveaway night on Thursday, poking fun at the Miami Heat star's loss in the NBA Finals to the Dallas Mavericks.

"Replica rings" -- also known as air -- will be handed out by stadium workers as fans enter the park, according to Chiefs spokesman Nathan Baliva.

Throughout the game, Peoria will honor "a true champion," the Chicago Bulls' six NBA titles with video clips and audio highlights and the Chiefs will take the field to "Sirius," the Alan Parson Project song used by the Bulls during their player introductions.

The Chiefs said they are "looking into" whether they can skip the fourth inning to poke fun at James, who scored just 18 points during the fourth quarter in six NBA Finals games.

"We aren't sure if the league will allow it," Peoria president Rocky Vonachen said in a statement. "But if LeBron doesn't need to show up for the fourth, maybe we won't either."

Among the other James promotional digs planned: A fan will win a "replica" of James' Finals MVP award (which actually went to the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki), and Heimlich maneuver classes will be offered to help prevent people from "choking in a big situation."

"Really this is just us getting back to the real world and waking up today and trying to solve our own personal problems," vice president of ticket sales Eric Obalil said.

Baliva said a Bulls tribute for Thursday was in the works since November with the hope that Chicago would be coming off another NBA championship.

The James addition to the promotion was announced midday Tuesday, and Baliva said there was an immediate reaction.

"We were seeing stuff not just from Chicago and Cleveland but all over the country," Baliva said.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Single-A Baseball team pokes fun at LeBron with "ring" promotion

"Really this is just us getting back to the real world and waking up today and trying to solve our own personal problems," vice president of ticket sales Eric Obalil said.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Was about to type of "Kind of lame", then read that line by the VP of ticket sales.

I just love the creativity of these minor league teams.

LeBron is the whole country's whipping boy right now, and I think rightfully so, but pretty soon it will be to much and people will began rooting for him just because everyone's against him.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Interesting promotion. I doubt LeBron does anything, but my first thought was that it has to be illegal to use his image like that. Any of the lawyers here (I'm pretty sure there's a couple) care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LeBron is the whole country's whipping boy right now, and I think rightfully so, but pretty soon it will be to much and people will began rooting for him just because everyone's against him.
    I've been thinking about that. Bill Simmons always talks about players who become so underrated that they end up overrated for being underrated. I wonder if LeBron can get to the point where he's so hated that he ends up being loved for being hated.

I have to admit, as much as I dislike him, I can't help but feel like 90% of it is just due to being coddled ever since he was 14 or 15 years old. He really seems genuine when he says or acts like he doesn't understand why he's so thoroughly disliked.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

I think they could have thought of something better, something like:

-Admission is only 75 cents Nite, because LeBron only gives 3 quarters...

-Moving the start time up Nite, encouraging everyone to "Be like LeBron & leave work 12 min. early"...

-All phones on vibrate Nite, so that like leBron, there are No Rings...

-Help name the upcomming LeBron James book contest Nite, because we all know he doesn' have a Title...

-College or H.S. droop out Nite, in honor to All that failed or failed to show up for their Finals...

-Heimlich Manuver Nite - to help prevent further Choaking!

-Free Tickets at Will-Call for anyone named LeBron Nite, to honor those who actually Shows Up at Game Time!..
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

That's awesome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

..... and lebron deserves every bit of criticism he gets.... I LOVE IT!!!

my favorite video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVCjUG1Mww
    Last edited by PacerPenguins; 06-14-2011 at 11:20 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

why are my cubs doing this we havent won in 100+ years?

However our double A team set a record 12 players named allstars from our double A team lol

and the Dayton team is good and Peoria has some good talent too things looks bright down on the farm too bad we suck at the MLB level.

woman without a team

I'd be all for this except for the fact that the Heat beat the Bulls to get into the Finals. Lebron should send the Chiefs' ticket VP a bunch of t-shirts that say "Can't choke in the Finals unless you're IN the Finals."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

And, like the people who tried to defend JOB, they will be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote