Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Croshere to add a midrange game!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Croshere to add a midrange game!

    That's significant... it's always been a major hole in his game. He can hit from three, or hit a layup/dunk, but not much in between.

    With a decent midrange game, he could really help in the frontcourt rotation.

    One thing's for sure, though: I don't want Austin (or Bender) spending a single minute at the 3. If Artest isn't there, then Jackson should be. We want those backcourt minutes for Freddy whenever possible.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Eh, we'll see. It seems to me that you can't "add a midrange game" in one summer. From the sounds of the article, he's worked a great deal on the two-step dribble-shoot Reggie does when he gets jumped at the arc. That's not a mid-range game, that's one move.

    Even if he perfects it, that means Austin's got 3 moves instead of just 2. Wow, can't stop him now.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  3. #3
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    I don't see how Croshere is going to get many minutes this season, anyway, so I don't think it matters.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  4. #4
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how Croshere is going to get many minutes this season, anyway, so I don't think it matters.



  5. #5
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    If it were that easy to "add a midrange game", everybody would have one.

    I know Austin has a rep as a hard worker over the summer, but still, I'll believe it when I see it.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  6. #6
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I "plan on adding" Tyra Banks to my list of conquests this weeked, but that doesn't mean it's bloody well likely.
    Because she's going camping with me and you've got to stay 100 miles away. :-)

    [edit=22=1097787040][/edit]
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  7. #7
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Decent article untuil the very last sentence. it says that Cro is just as effective no matter how much he plays. Wrong. he keeps a good attitude, and he stays in shape, but he needs a little time and consisitant time to get into the groove.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decent article untuil the very last sentence. it says that Cro is just as effective no matter how much he plays. Wrong. he keeps a good attitude, and he stays in shape, but he needs a little time and consisitant time to get into the groove.
    Bingo! Croshere has proven throughout his career that he is a far better player when he can get 20 or more minutes in a game. He needs a little while to work himself into a groove. Always has. That's why I think he should be playing for a team with a dominant center who can pass. Most often, those teams don't have great Power Forwards anyways, and Croshere's ability to hit the long range shot would open up the floor for guys like Yao. Face it, Croshere hasn't been the same since Smits retired, and JO, as good as he is, will never be a great passer.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how Croshere is going to get many minutes this season, anyway, so I don't think it matters.
    Really? I don't see it that way.

    Our front court is very thin of experienced players. JO, Jeff, Cro. That's it. Even if Bender comes along and Pollard does better this year, I'd bet on Croshere still getting 18-20 minutes per game.

  10. #10
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,664

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    I hope Cro can add a midrange game.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  11. #11
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how Croshere is going to get many minutes this season, anyway, so I don't think it matters.
    Really? I don't see it that way.

    Our front court is very thin of experienced players. JO, Jeff, Cro. That's it. Even if Bender comes along and Pollard does better this year, I'd bet on Croshere still getting 18-20 minutes per game.
    Well, we'll see how it shakes out, but I see JO getting 38 mpg at center, and Foster and Bender splitting the PF minutes (Foster playing the same role as last year, starting and playing about 22-24 mpg, and Bender in Al's role of about 30 mpg, mostly at PF and a few minutes at SF.

    If Harrison earns the backup C minutes, I don't see any time for Austin. If Austin plays backup C, then I guess I'd also give him 10 mpg at PF because, as discussed above, I agree with the notion that time to get into the groove. IMO, he needs to either play 20+ mpg or not at all. I'm fine with taking ten minutes of PF away from Jeff for Austin, but then why have Foster in the starting lineup if he's only playing 12 mpg?

    I've rambled long enough... Who do you think would play less in order to make room for Austin?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. #12
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how Croshere is going to get many minutes this season, anyway, so I don't think it matters.
    Really? I don't see it that way.

    Our front court is very thin of experienced players. JO, Jeff, Cro. That's it. Even if Bender comes along and Pollard does better this year, I'd bet on Croshere still getting 18-20 minutes per game.
    Well, we'll see how it shakes out, but I see JO getting 38 mpg at center, and Foster and Bender splitting the PF minutes (Foster playing the same role as last year, starting and playing about 22-24 mpg, and Bender in Al's role of about 30 mpg, mostly at PF and a few minutes at SF.

    If Harrison earns the backup C minutes, I don't see any time for Austin. If Austin plays backup C, then I guess I'd also give him 10 mpg at PF because, as discussed above, I agree with the notion that time to get into the groove. IMO, he needs to either play 20+ mpg or not at all. I'm fine with taking ten minutes of PF away from Jeff for Austin, but then why have Foster in the starting lineup if he's only playing 12 mpg?

    I've rambled long enough... Who do you think would play less in order to make room for Austin?
    Although, perhaps I've foolishly/ naively bought into the idea that Bender at 240 lbs. would be capable of joining the regular rotation.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  13. #13
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Bigger Role a Real Possibility for Croshere


    By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 14, 2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's time again for the annual Austin Croshere preseason story. You know the one: how Croshere worked really hard in the offseason and is looking forward to playing more regularly in the coming year.
    Only now, there is a twist.

    It might really happen this time.

    The trade of Al Harrington to Atlanta created a hole in the frontcourt rotation that some player, or combination of players, will have to fill. Croshere, now one of the elders of the roster at age 29, has a very real chance at a substantial bump in playing time.

    "Obviously with Al leaving, it opens up a lot of minutes because he was our sixth man last year, so I'm in competition for that," Croshere said. "It kind of depends on what direction the team's going to go."

    Harrington played both forward spots and averaged 30.9 minutes in 2003-04. The player acquired in the trade, Stephen Jackson, is primarily a shooting guard who can be used at small forward depending on matchups. That leaves the Croshere and Jonathan Bender as the forwards at the head of the line for a bigger role.

    "I know the kind of player he is," said Coach Rick Carlisle. "Our team has changed this year to a point where there's an opportunity, if he seizes it, to play more."

    Croshere appeared in 77 games last season, his most since the 2000-01 season, averaging 13.6 minutes, 5.0 points and 3.2 rebounds. He made 38.9 percent of his 3-point attempts, second on the team to Reggie Miller's 40.1 percent.

    That ability to stretch the defense led Carlisle to use Croshere as a surprise starter in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals and he responded with 14 points and a trio of 3-pointers in an 83-68 victory. He was shut out from the field in Game 5 and removed from the lineup for Game 6, both losses.

    "His natural position is to play the shooting power forward position," said Carlisle. "He has played some three and he will play some five because he causes real matchup problems for the other team at the offensive end."

    Sensing that opportunity, Croshere altered his normal summer routine. Rather than remaining in the Los Angeles area until training camp, he reported to Conseco Fieldhouse a month ago to get more extensive workouts with the coaching staff.

    "I'm always optimistic," Croshere said. "Every year, I come in feeling like I had a great summer and I feel like every summer I've added something to my game, even though it hasn't been used a lot throughout the year. Obviously, this summer it was great to have such interaction with the coaches consistently. I came back early this summer for the first time in a while and got in three weeks of work with the coaches. They can see what I can do and I know a little more of what's going to be expected of me.

    "I like to think I can do more than they think I can do, but that's the mentality of every player. That was part of coming in early, so they could see what I'm capable of and the things I've added to my game."

    With Jermaine O'Neal sitting out the preseason opener, Croshere started at power forward. Though he didn't shoot well (0 for 3), he pulled seven rebounds in 24 minutes.

    A strong long-range shooter who also can attack the basket off the dribble, Croshere has worked on his mid-range game. When opponents come after his 3-point shot, he wants to establish the deadly counter-move made famous by Miller – stepping inside the moving defender and hitting the open 15-to-18-footer.

    "The coaches were real active in coming out during the summer and giving me things to work on," he said. "Certainly, a little more of an in-between game (is a priority). My 3-point shooting is there, so people are coming out. It's a matter of, when they come flying at me, taking one dribble and making those types of shots. Whether I'm at the three or the four, I think they're going to use my perimeter shooting to space the floor."

    Whatever role Croshere lands, he has demonstrated the ability to be productive. Carlisle often has credited Croshere's ability to stay ready when not playing, then contribute when called upon, as a major factor in the team's success last season.

    He is the rare player who can help a team whether he plays a lot, or a little. This season, though, he just might get the chance to help a little more.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  14. #14
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decent article untuil the very last sentence. it says that Cro is just as effective no matter how much he plays. Wrong. he keeps a good attitude, and he stays in shape, but he needs a little time and consisitant time to get into the groove.
    I agree with that , he needs consistant mins to be able to maintain a consistant shot , If he doesn't get those consistant mins he will still be the same and that's kinda sad cause I really like Austin.

  15. #15
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,500

    Default Re: Croshere to add a midrange game!

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even if Bender comes along and Pollard does better this year


    Bball

    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •