Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dwight Howard will become a Free Agent in 2012

Default Dwight Howard will become a Free Agent in 2012

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/13/d...iref%3Anbahpt2

Start the "How can we make him a Pacer" stuff now...

And to be clear, we can't. But have at it anyways.

Default Re: Dwight Howard will become a Free Agent in 2012

Please send him out West, improves the Pacers chances to moving up next year in the playoff seeding.
    Trade him to Portland for Alridge, and Batum.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 06-13-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If another free agent feeding frenzy like the LeBron, Wade, Bosh sweepstakes is on the horizon, it makes our cap space that much more valuable (assuming no radical CBA changes). It also makes it imperative we do not waste our money signing someone like Nene, Chandler, or Crawford this off season.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Imagine if it was possible to add Howard and Gordon.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

idc if we aren't even close to getting him, save the money we have and try. U never know what could happen. And if this season is better than last years than even better. Since he is going to be a FA and the Magic front office said they have no interest in trading him then its not like he can go to LA for sure. The only way he goes there is by trade.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

It'll be a Carmelo situation where the Magic will keep trying to convince Howard to sign the extension until they realize he's bolting and then they'll try to get back the best deal possible while hoping to unload another bad contract in the process.

Unless the CBA somehow works a franchise tag into the mix, I think both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard will be playing for new teams.

And no the Pacers don't have a chance. They don't have a billionaire Russian owner to go with the move to New York and minority owner that's a hip hop mogul.

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If another free agent feeding frenzy like the LeBron, Wade, Bosh sweepstakes is on the horizon, it makes our cap space that much more valuable (assuming no radical CBA changes). It also makes it imperative we do not waste our money signing someone like Nene, Chandler, or Crawford this off season.
    Here is my prediction. IF the new CBA is like the one we have now then there will be a sign and trade so the Magic won't lose out on their number one asset and Howard can get paid the most he can ala Melo. (great minds think alike, Pwee31)

Certainly the Magic will want to get big assets in return to which we won't be able to compete with and in the end our salary cap situation won't matter much.

"IF" he goes somewhere I think it would be to the Lakers or to a top tier contender and the Pacers are on the outside looking in.

If a hard cap gets put into a play in the CBA negotiations, all bets are off. We absolutely should take a shot at it if he goes into FA.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    "IF" he goes somewhere I think it would be to the Lakers or to a top tier contender and the Pacers are on the outside looking in.
    Even if the Pacers wouldn't be a realistic destintation, having cap space allows us to become great facilitators for teams that do think they have a shot. During the last big free agency period teams like New York, Chicago, and Miami were paying people to take assets off their hands.

Do you think Dwight Howard is looking for the most money. I don't think he gives a damn about the money, sure he wants a fair market rate, but he wants a team that can contend.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

we most definitely have a chance if it comes down to cap space and the ability to put pieces around howard. indiana may be a financial small market, but it is a huge market in terms of passion and love for the game. it is imperative we do not go on a spending spree this offseason and save it for the 2012 class.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    If a hard cap gets put into a play in the CBA negotiations, all bets are off. We absolutely should take a shot at it if he goes into FA.
    IF there is a hard cap then there has to be a transition period to implement it. He could easily sign during that period of time (2-3 years) for the max in a sign and trade to a team well over the cap as long as that "team" has the assets the Magic want. All bets are off at this point. (I wrote that before I saw your post sandman, freaky)
    Last edited by Gamble1; 06-13-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Plus if he were to come here, this would soon be HIS town with Manning in the twilight of his career.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think "and to be clear we can't" part summed it all up... seriously...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Even if the Pacers wouldn't be a realistic destintation, having cap space allows us to become great facilitators for teams that do think they have a shot. During the last big free agency period teams like New York, Chicago, and Miami were paying people to take assets off their hands.
    True but that means most of "those" teams don't have many assets to take off their hands anymore. Realistically were talking about Beasely, Hinrich types which are good but not something that we couldn't get with our capspace in the FA market.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

I don't think Dwight is all about the money like a lot of the top players out there are...I truly think he just flat out wants to be on a winning team that plays TEAM basketball--none of this "I want my 33 shots a game, jacking up horrible shots each possession" stuff like Carter has done in the past back when he was with the Magic, or what Arenas does, and some of his other teammates do. Dwight's not a selfish player and he's probably the best superstar out there in terms of carrying himself off the court--he's not the "money mind" like LeBron who gives the finger to the rest of the world every time he has a chance. Dwight does talk to the refs a bunch, but most of it he is actually in the right as for some reason, he doesn't get calls like Kobe/LeBron/Rose/Wade/etc do--the refs just let Dwight get tackled time after time now.

I would LOVE for Dwight to be a Pacer, but I'm not going to put all my hopes and dreams on it as it probably won't happen in my opinion. The Pacers may give them their sales pitch when he becomes a free-agent, and they rightfully should if they have the money to spend on him at that point in time, but I'm not expecting Dwight to put on a Pacers uniform anytime soon. I just hope he doesn't become a Laker. I think he'd be great for the Heat, though, if they got rid of Bosh and then maybe even get rid of Wade. Just seeing LeBron and Dwight on the same team, plus a few good 3-point shooters like the Heat have in James Jones, Mike Miller, and others, that team would kill I personally think. I don't really want Dwight to play with LeBron, though, as I think DH's attitude might head south. I wish DH the best as he truly is one of the good guys in this league that you just can't help but to root for.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    we most definitely have a chance if it comes down to cap space and the ability to put pieces around howard. indiana may be a financial small market, but it is a huge market in terms of passion and love for the game. it is imperative we do not go on a spending spree this offseason and save it for the 2012 class.
    Passion and Love for the game? Maybe college but not the pros.
    What metropolitan area have you lived in over the past 5 years? The Indianapolis area overall does not care about the Pacers anymore. This fanbase is the ultimate front runner type. Heck last year they actually had some trouble selling out a Colts playoff game against the jets because the Colts weren't actually considered the favorite to win the superbowl anymore. I thought that the city had become a football town but last years playoff game really exposed this city. They have become so spoiled for having contenders for so many years in both football and basketball, anything less just isn't impressive.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They should trade him for LBJ asap

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    They don't have a billionaire Russian owner to go with the move to New York and minority owner that's a hip hop mogul.
    That really helped New Jersey a lot this year, huh? Remind me just how many stars they landed?

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    They should trade him for LBJ asap
    That actually would balance out Miami's chemistry.

Wade and Howard together would make a nice duo like when Wade played with Shaq. I think they can win a few championships together.

Realistically, that's not happening though. At least not at this point. We'll see next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    That really helped New Jersey a lot this year, huh? Remind me just how many stars they landed?
    They traded for Deron Williams, and if they get help around him, he's likely to stay in New Jersey/Brooklyn.

And I'm pretty sure players will be more willing to go play with Deron Williams in New York, than Danny Granger in Indiana.

And I like Danny Granger, and love my Indiana Pacers

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    True but that means most of "those" teams don't have many assets to take off their hands anymore. Realistically were talking about Beasely, Hinrich types which are good but not something that we couldn't get with our capspace in the FA market.
    I guess it really depends on who "those" teams would be for Howard. Either way, getting a player like Beasley for free, or a first round pick to take Hinrich beats the hell outta signing a guy like Nene to a huge contract.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The best chance we'd have is to trade for him midseason, and hope that with him, we could make a strong enough impression as a contender to convince him to stay.

Of course, any deal would probably center around Hibbert and one or two of our other core players, and if the Lakers get involved, they might be able to trump anything we have if Bynum gets dangled.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Like Barkley said during the Bulls series, the Pacers team as currently constructed would be a contender with a superstar level talent. Imagine a defensive line up with George-Granger-Howard-Hibbert. That is a ton of length and defensive ability on the perimeter/lane. Not to mention the inside-out game with Granger George and Hibbert Howard.

Oh man, Howard would be a dream come true with this current team. . .

The Pacers have absolutely no chance of trading for Howard. That's just beyond the "accepted limitations" as Klosterman would say. The problem is we have so few assets and so many other teams have so much more to offer.

As I've said, the best chance for Indiana to obtain Howard, is to keep all their cap space, win close to 50 games with a much more developed Paul George, and consistent Roy and DC play every night. That would make us an attractive spot, because howard would get a nice max contract to play on a team that one 50 games without him. He'd be playing with Roy who he always speaks very highly of, as well as up and comer George with the established shooting of DG.

It is an attractive destination. I doubt he does it, as many others have stated, but if he hasn't been traded to the lakers prior to his free agency, I strongly believe Indiana would be one of the top destinations so long as our team had improved with our current crop of talent and we kept our cap space.