Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So i am starting a basketball GM and scouting course today......

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default So i am starting a basketball GM and scouting course today......

I am gonna get to use syenergy for 8 weeks during the course. I will try to watch all the guys projected to go near the Pacers. I have to write a scouting report by friday on one player any suggestions? For my final in around 8 weeks i need to interview a basketball GM or scout does anyone know if anyone in the Pacers front office would be willing? If so how i may contact them. Thanks in advandce

here is what i need to find out from Morway or Bird perferably a scout or another person in the FO is acceptablable as well.

•The student must research the daily tasks of the GM of this team (as well as the person you are talking to, if it is not the GM)

•Their responsibilities

•Their goals for the future for their team

•What positions they are hoping to upgrade next year

•How they plan to address their weaknesses in the future.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Default Re: So i am starting a basketball GM and scouting course today......

Best class ever!!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://mysynergysports.com/ this is the free version of synergy if anyone is interested.

a lot of stats offensive and defensive

http://www.mysynergysports.com/syner...ers&home=Bulls

the Pacers bulls series.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

so is this a college course or what exactly?

as far as choosing a player goes to do a scouting report on, I think a good one is Marshon Brooks. As far as contacting people within the Pacers organization, try their staff/faculty list on Pacers.com--contact links, phone numbers, email addresses, etc should be given for everybody working in the Front Office and other special positions with the Pacers (statisticians, scouts, TV personnel, etc).

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so is this a college course or what exactly?

as far as choosing a player goes to do a scouting report on, I think a good one is Marshon Brooks. As far as contacting people within the Pacers organization, try their staff/faculty list on Pacers.com--contact links, phone numbers, email addresses, etc should be given for everybody working in the Front Office and other special positions with the Pacers (statisticians, scouts, TV personnel, etc).
    I can get college credit for it. It is a course at sports management worldwide

smww.com

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I was just looking at this online last night.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think a good one would be Tobias Harris, Iman Shumpert, and even though he isn't in the running but Corey Joseph... seems like it would be interesting too look at players that came out fairly early in their college career, who might have some hidden up side.

Thanks man... Good luck with the course...

Mood

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...g/gaide01.html

my sample scouting report is of this guy does anyone remember him? The scout gave him great college potential and great chance to be a good euro league player. But the scout said he had almost no chance to make it in the NBA,

also have a sample of David Lee in college they compared him to Nick Collision without the jumper he sure proved scouts wrong.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-13-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...g/gaide01.html

my sample scouting report is of this guy does anyone remember him? The scout gave him great college potential and great chance to be a good euro league player. But the scout said he had almost no chance to make it in the NBA,

also have a sample of David Lee in college they compared him to Nick Collision without the jumper he sure proved scouts wrong.
    He has some jump - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deng_Gai

Last heard playing for a Polish team that folded.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For a scouting report, choose anyone that thunderbird1245 has done an analysis of and present his info the best way you know how to in your own words, and find clips on synergy that support his position on that player.

Hard to say how to get in direct contact with Bird and Morway, or anyone else for that matter, in the event that the lockout happens. Maybe somebody in Area 55 that has connections with the ticket rep in charge of that area could help, or possibly RobfromPacers on here would respond to a pm?

Sent Mr. Boyle a tweet, wouldn't get your hopes up though

How about going through the office of Public/Community Relations?

http://www.consecofieldhouse.com/upl...oster6711a.pdf
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Finally got synergy working and have been watching tape for the past few hours and reading the stats on Eric Gordon. I have watched every Clipper game since he has been drafted on league pass and synergy has confirmed what I had though about Eric with the naked eye.

Eric is a very good basketball player and excels in the pick and roll. When Eric is in the pick and roll good things happen for the Clippers not only for Eric personally but he is a very good passer out of the pick and roll and he gets open looks for others. He is very aggressive in the pick and roll always trying to attack the rim if possible. Sticking to the offensive theme Eric doesn’t have very many holes in his game offensively he is a above average ball handler. Which is one of the reasons he is so good in pick and roll situations. I haven’t even talked about Eric’s strength in my opinion which is his shooting. He is a deadly 3 point shooter and can use off ball screens efficiently to get open. Eric does a good job in transition and can score out on the fast break and get others easy baskets. An area where Eric is mediocre on offense is in isolation situations he is an above average dribbler but in the isolation game he tends to get careless with the ball. Resulting in dribbling the ball off his feet or making a poor decision with the basketball. He can still be effective in isolation he is just way more efficient in pick and roll scenarios. The thing I love about Eric’s offensive game is he attacks the rim relentlessly and draws lots of fouls.

Despite his small frame of 6’4 215 pounds he gets after it defensively. He is an above average defender in most parts of the game. He is a very good pick and roll defender unless he has to switch to the screener than he becomes poor. He also is a good isolation defender. The reason he is such a good defender despite size is because he gives 100% effort all the time on defense. A lot of players take plays off on defense Eric does not. However he has a few weakness if you have a tall shooting guard he can shoot over Eric pretty easily. Also if your SG can post up effectively he can take advantage of Eric in the post and will force the Clippers to double team him.

Eric is very athletic and that helps his game. He can change speeds very effectively on offense and uses his athleticism to stay in front of his man on defense. Eric’s major weakness in my opinion is durability he has missed games in every NBA season he has played in so far in his career. His small frame takes a beating with the riggers of a NBA season. His main NBA skill is scoring Eric is one of the best scorers slash shooters in the present day NBA.

Former NBA comparison: David Wesley / Mitch Richmond

my first scouting report using synergy

Next week I have to choose a team and i will be doing a scouting report on the Pacers. Which i must say we are one of the elite defensive teams according to synergy and our offense sucked balls.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-20-2011 at 07:32 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Pacer4Ever,

If you need to reach a GM type, let me know. I have a couple of numbers you can try.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim R For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Pacer4Ever,

If you need to reach a GM type, let me know. I have a couple of numbers you can try.
    That would be great send me a PM. I have to interview someone in the front office from the D league or NBA. Thank you very much.

Mood

synergy is amazing i just watched all of the PnR plays from Darren Collision and Eric Gordon for all last season. It only took 1.5 hours this technology is amazing. The way they break each play down is amazing truly have to try it to see how good it is.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

synergy is amazing i just watched all of the PnR plays from Darren Collision and Eric Gordon for all last season. It only took 1.5 hours this technology is amazing. The way they break each play down is amazing truly have to try it to see how good it is.
    Yep. I paid $30 for it last spring and new whenever I needed to I was willing to pay it again.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yep. I paid $30 for it last spring and new whenever I needed to I was willing to pay it again.
    where can you pay for it at and for that cheap? I though you have to buy it by the year and it costs nearly 100k

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I'm jealous. This sounds like a blast, P4E.

where can you pay for it at and for that cheap? I though you have to buy it by the year and it costs nearly 100k
    Maybe what I have is just a watered-down version; but if so, it's still damned good as I can see the stats, and each stat has a video clip of the play in question that I can watch.

http://www.mysynergysports.com/

Mood

Maybe what I have is just a watered-down version; but if so, it's still damned good as I can see the stats, and each stat has a video clip of the play in question that I can watch.

http://www.mysynergysports.com/
    Ya that version is a little different. But is really cool as well i tried that before i used the version the NBA teams use. Which uploads every game from HS to college game and NBA it breaks it down the same way. Say i want to watch every play of the Pacers in PnR defense i just click on the blue bar and every defensive clip appears. So Larry Bird can watch every play defensively of Marshon Brooks and other prospects. It also gives them a grade in every aspect of the game PnR offense Iso offense ect.

EDIT:
    The best part is while watching a normal game you cant zip though it. Because at the top of the page it tells exactly what will happen on the play

EX: SST: 24 Paul George > ISO > Left > Drives Right > To Basket > Miss 2 Pts (this is the first play of game 4 vs the Bulls it is a 24 second clip. So i know what happens before hand and it does this for every clip. There is 268 clips for that game. It is truly amazing how it works.)

SST: 9 Luol Deng > Off Screen > To Shooter's Left > Curl > Turnover (2nd play )

http://www.synergysportstech.com/Synergy/Default.aspx

this is the one NBA teams use it is very similar. Mysynergy is kind of like it but it differs. Pretty much a way to get fans to buy the product..(obviously most cant afford 100k per year lol)

here is a good article on it http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_13820152
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-22-2011 at 09:29 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Right. Yeah, the cheap one doesn't have anything from college or high school, and it doesn't have grades.

Mood

Right. Yeah, the cheap one doesn't have anything from college or high school, and it doesn't have grades.
    im not sure about HS game but i know they have the D league and the Euro leagues and College

The other good thing is when you click on the blue bar to get video of the player in the PnR or what ever. It shows all the plays regardless of good or bad it isn't a highlight package.

the grades are what is so good about it!

Danny Granger overall offense = 71% which equals Very Good

which is just below excellent which is the best you can get. EJ was just barley excellent. But it doesn't take into account the amount you shoot because Mike Dunleavy is also excellent it is how efficient you are in that part of the game.

Mood

I've been up studing and comparing Paul George's rookie season and Danny Granger's rookie season

Paul was good on offense overall. he had 52 overall PnR chances and graded as average. Synergy said his defense was just average also.(which IMO started out poor but got better throughout the season and was excellent in the playoffs)

It is pretty clear if he works on finishing with contact and dribbling and shooting he will be a force in the PnR one day.

Danny was very good overall as a rookie. However he didn't run PnR at all i believe he used PnR 5 times the whole season WOW! Danny however was graded as excellent(best grade) as the roll man in the PnR.Danny was very good defensively as a rookie. Now he is rated just average by synergy.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-23-2011 at 06:50 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down Re: So i am starting a basketball GM and scouting course today......

I took this class, and although it was fun and interesting, it did absolutely nothing for my career and a lot of what they said would be delivered did not happen.

For intance, all the guest instructors they promised, such as ESPNs Chad Ford, was total mularkey.

But the former GM of the Golden State Warriors who ran the class was great and also the book they assigned, Wayne Embry's "The Inside Game" was a great read.

However, still not worth the money.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubio For This Useful Post: