Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami/Dallas Free Agents

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Miami/Dallas Free Agents

I just checked the free agents for the Finals participants and was a little surprised by how many there are. There are always plenty of guys who win a ring with one team and then get overpaid/overvalued and wind up on a different team the next year. And, since Miami didn't win, they'll probably have anyone and everyone outside of the Big 3 for sale.

My question, then, is whether or not the Pacers (who have the money to spend) go out and get any of these guys. And, if they do, will any of them actually improve the team enough to maybe get past the first round?

Dallas
    UNRESTRICTED
    Jose Juan Barea
    Caron Butler
    Brian Cardinal
    Tyson Chandler
    DeShawn Stevenson
    Peja Stojakovic

Miami
    RESTRICTED
    Mario Chalmers

UNRESTRICTED
    Mike Bibby
    Erick Dampier
    Eddie House (P)
    Juwan Howard
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas (P)
    James Jones (P)
    Jamaal Magloire

If any of these guys are off the market for whatever reason, I pulled the info from HERE, the ESPN list of Free Agents that has been updated June 3.

Personally, I'd take a flyer on JJ Barea, Tyson Chandler, Mario Chalmers, and maybe Juwan Howard.

Thoughts?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Default Re: Miami/Dallas Free Agents

Step 1. Sign Chandler, Butler and JJ Barea.
    Step 2. Trade Granger, Hibbert, Hansbrough, Posey and picks till 2020 for Dirk, Terry and Carlisle.
    Step 3. ????
    Step 4. Profit.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brian Cardinal Max Contract please!!!!!!!!!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Ohh yeah, how could I forget the Cardinal!...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Step 1. Sign Chandler, Butler and JJ Barea.
    Step 2. Trade Granger, Hibbert, Hansbrough, Posey and picks till 2020 for Dirk, Terry and Carlisle.
    Step 3. ????
    Step 4. Profit.
    Can we add Mark Cuban in somehow?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no way that Dallas lets Tyson Chandler walk away. I wouldn't mind having JJ Barea as a backup PG, but he will probably be overpriced after his success in the playoffs. The only other player I would be interested in is Caron Butler, but he will be overpriced as well and has too many injury concerns.

Without Barea, I don't think the Mavs would have won that easily tonight. He was lights out. He has been all year. I think there is no way Cuban will let him walk after the show he put on tonight.

He would be intriguing, but with him out of the picture, I think the only ones that even jump out at all are Butler and Chandler. They just seem like good players that will want to be overpaid like most big men. Maybe Cardinal.

The rest of that heap, you can keep.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'd be first in line to buy a Brian Cardinal Pacers jersey.

But please do not consider signing him Larry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Dab

You have to think Cuban will spend whatever it takes to keep the team together for another run next year. Get Butler and Haywood back to 100%, and you have a really tough team for next season. I would also guess that they will attempt to groom Barea to eventually replace Kidd in the next 2-3 years.

Are most of those Miami free agents guys who chose to sign for the veteran's minimum because they thought they would get a ring out of it?
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

New CBA will determine a lot. I think the league is trouble because the owners are divided against themselves much less able to negotiate with the players.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    New CBA will determine a lot. I think the league is trouble because the owners are divided against themselves much less able to negotiate with the players.

Very valid point. You have big market teams vs small market teams. Teams, like the Pacers who are in good cap shape, aren't going to want to let the big spenders get a free pass for their over spending. Why have to play by the rules only to have the rules changed to help the rich?

If Sterns allows this to happen, he needs to be FIRED immediately if not sooner. How many of the 30 teams does it take to fire/replace the NBA commish?

Chandler would be great to have. he's a gamble though because of injury history and my guess is he'll really want to stay with the mavs and the mavs will pay him a lot to keep him, so any other team would probably have to offer him a huge and long contract.

So I don't see him as a realistic possiblity
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-13-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Hard cap is the only way Cuban doesn't/can't keep almost every guy on this years team. Really no one I want on Miamis.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

i want chandler..... or have barea to back up DC

Mood

When Cuban was talking last night, he mentioned a couple of the players by name and he named four of the five starters, with the only one who he left out being Tyson Chandler. I don't think Chandler is petty, but something small like that can go a long way to taking a contract elsewhere, especially if you've already won a ring and there is more money on a different table.

Banned

Tyson doesn't seem as a possibility to me, but out of the rest of the free agents I would try to sign Barea and Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    When Cuban was talking last night, he mentioned a couple of the players by name and he named four of the five starters, with the only one who he left out being Tyson Chandler. I don't think Chandler is petty, but something small like that can go a long way to taking a contract elsewhere, especially if you've already won a ring and there is more money on a different table.
    I highly doubt Cuban lets him walk but he may be forced to if the CBA includes a hard cap. I like Chandler but paying him 12 mill or more is way too much. He is though the type of player we need to get past the Bulls.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

I thought it was accurate and a big compliment that Indycornrows made the comparison of Matt Howard to Brian Cardinal. Matt probably won't be drafted and I'd love to see the Pacers be the first to offer a contract.

Otherwise, yes, Barea was lights out shooting, but I really thought Terry was tremendous last night. As for guys I'd want to see in a Pacers uniform: Chandler, hands down. He can work the low post while Roy is at the shoulder with the ball. I'd love to get Butler too but my priority would be Tyson... And if we get someone like Marshon Brooks, I'm not sure we need another wing. I think we should be conservative with the cap space as the CBA may phase in a hard cap that might make capspace very valuable in the next year or two. If that's the case, go after Chandler only ($12 million or less).

I like James Jones but don't see much PT for him on this team. His outside shooting is very good.

If we even got Chandler, what would happen to Hibbert?

There is no way we can start them both
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If we even got Chandler, what would happen to Hibbert?

There is no way we can start them both
    Why? Chandler is as quick as Pau Gasol and Lakers start him at pf a lot.

Chandler is one of the few guys I think we could start at pf next to Hibbert.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For the price it would cost to get these guys, I'll pass. Yeah Chandler would be nice but he's a center, not a power forward, and you would be signing him when his value is at an all time high. Barea is nice, but again, he is going to cost a lot more than he's worth and we don't really need another tiny body in the backcourt.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post

I heard him on NBATV after the game last night and the only player he mentioned was Chandler. He was with C. Webb and Greg Anthoiny and Matt Winer

Sports Logo

Butler is the only Player that would fill a need for us if we could live with a wing rotation of Granger/PG/Butler. Barea would be nice but at most he would be a backup. But I would not want to have 2 PGs that are 6 feet tall.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Interesting chat note

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1689

jim in toronto:
    why did heats not sign dirk over bosh

Bill Ingram:
    Bosh was part of the package . . .and Dirk wasn't leaving Dallas. Miami didn't want Bosh, really, but he was forced on them. They've been talking to teams like Phoenix and New Orleans already about upgrading their PG position in exchange for Bosh, and I'd expect to hear a lot more of those rumors . . .especially if the Hornets wind up moving to KC. Chris Paul won't have any loyalty to KC.
    cory in dallas:
    what heats major thing to do this summer you think and when will we get 5 way of fixing heats and 1 for dallas

Bill Ingram:
    I think we see the HEAT trade Chris Bosh to Phoenix for Steve Nash. Haslem can give you Bosh numbers if playing with Nash, and they need a real playmaker making the decisions down the stretch of games. The HEAT also have interest in CP3, but unless the team leaves New Orleans Chris is staying put.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haslem isn't going to put up Bosh numbers. I love the Bosh jokes as much as the next guy, but there are clearly a few levels between him and Haslem.