Thread: FS Midwest Question

Default FS Midwest Question

I'm contemplating switching television providers. Does FS Midwest carry Pacers games? Thanks in advance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: FS Midwest Question

I dont think it does anymore. That got offloaded onto Fox Sports Indiana when they got the full TV rights. Who's the TV provider you're switching to?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

DirectTV. They don't list FSI on any of their packages online.

FSI isn't a full time feed on DirecTv. They'll turn it on for the Pacers (and probably Fever) games and thats it. It's channel 673. Directv actually has a link on their site that is supposed to tell you what RSNs you are supposed to get without subscribing to the sports pack, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 06-12-2011 at 03:54 PM.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I get FSI on Directv when Pacers play. Directv certainly carries it... it's a question of where you are to know for sure it would be lit up for you on Directv. But I'd ASSUME if your current provider has the games in the clear for you then Directv would too. ...at least in the majority of cases for subscribers... your mileage may vary...

But if the general fear is Directv not carrying the proper FSI sports channel... no fear... it's there (although it's a part-time channel so only lights up for Pacers games and a few other things too I believe). Otherwise, we get FSMW.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have Direct you get all the games on 673

plus you get all the Reds games all the St Cardinals games and all the Cubs games on Comcast Chicago im really glad i switched. The only problem is when the weather is bad it goes out some but it is much better than comcast besides that. Midwest will be in full time and it shows some good college ball.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just go with U-Verse instead and you'll be good.

Not if they won't run the cabling to your house. ATT actually lost my business when I started shopping around for a new TV provider a couple years ago. I found that the abandoned house next door to me could get U-Verse, so could the houses across the street. But my home CAN'T. We called AT&T to see if they would look into that and make there isn't a glitch, they said they'd look into it and we never heard back. They literally lost a customer about 50 feet of cabling.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not if they won't run the cabling to your house. ATT actually lost my business when I started shopping around for a new TV provider a couple years ago. I found that the abandoned house next door to me could get U-Verse, so could the houses across the street. But my home CAN'T. We called AT&T to see if they would look into that and make there isn't a glitch, they said they'd look into it and we never heard back. They literally lost a customer about 50 feet of cabling.
    That is what happen to me to. They came out to my house and was testing everything and they said it was 70ft short of reaching the house. Just stupid they should already know before they come to install everything if it will work or not.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm so sick of Comcast. Ready to make the switch.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DieHard For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have Comcast and I don't FSI. I only get FSMW. Help Meh!
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Jump to DirecTv like the rest of us!

In all seriousness, I believe the FSMW you see on Comcast is indeed the FSI feed, since the only time the programming changes is when the Pacers and Fever are on.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    I have Comcast and I don't FSI. I only get FSMW. Help Meh!
    I thought FSI is just the re-branded name of FSMW?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I have a question: To any of you who have had Comcast or a comparable cable company, AND you've had DirecTV, how different is the picture quality in HD?

I used to have Dish when I only had SD channels, and frankly cable just looked better. The picture wasn't as vibrant, but there was an obvious difference in detail in cable's favor.

I really, really want to get away from Comcast, either back to Dish or to give DirecTV a try, but I'm worried about that loss of picture detail. That's what makes HD shine is the detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have a question: To any of you who have had Comcast or a comparable cable company, AND you've had DirecTV, how different is the picture quality in HD?

I used to have Dish when I only had SD channels, and frankly cable just looked better. The picture wasn't as vibrant, but there was an obvious difference in detail in cable's favor.

I really, really want to get away from Comcast, either back to Dish or to give DirecTV a try, but I'm worried about that loss of picture detail. That's what makes HD shine is the detail.
    That's probably a hard question to get an answer on. You're going to have people making subjective decisions based on different criteria and a lack of a true baseline. I'm not even sure if one Comcast entity is the same as the next (as far as bandwidth and compression ratio goes).

The assumption would be that HD quality will be high enough in either system that you're going to like both. So the question to answer before even considering bailing on cable is what about your internet connection? If cable is providing your current connection then you need to do the math on price versus speed of whatever you'd do if you switched your TV over to Directv. I realize you could keep cable internet and go with Directv for your television but is that a practical $$$ situation (and I have no idea of what the costs would be so I'm not seeing it would or wouldn't be).

Or if you go with Directv would going to DSL and DSL speeds suffice for your internet and be cheaper or comparable to what you're paying now? (assuming you are currently using cable for your internet)

Just whatever you do.... don't consider satellite internet part of a viable option. It's fraudband, not broadband.... Never consider satellite internet if you have ANY other broadband options. Any....

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Internet would go up, but it's less than $20 difference, IIRC. I'd plan on keeping it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Internet would go up, but it's less than $20 difference, IIRC. I'd plan on keeping it at this point.
    What does Directv offer that you're willing to pay an extra 20.00 for then?

------

-John Wooden

To be honest, I actually kept the Comcast Internet package and still do to this day. What DirecTv brought to the table for me was more channels, DVR, and the ability to have a receiver on every TV in my house for less than what Comcast had charged us for fewer channels, no DVR, and only having two digital boxes in the house, when there were four TVs. Throw in the EXCELLENT job the DirecTv installer did with setting up the system and teaching my somewhat technologically illiterate father how to use the thing, the fact that I have never dealt with a phone support tech who wasn't at least somewhat knowledgeable with the system (and speaks clear English!), and I think it was worth splitting my TV and internet providers. When my father moved out into his own house (at the time he was renovating the place), he decided to go with Directv over Comcast based on the experience we had had with Directv for my install, and again, the Directv installers came out on time, and did another excellent job with the install (especially since they were setting it up in a house built in the late 1800s with the cabling running from the basement up to the first and second floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    What does Directv offer that you're willing to pay an extra 20.00 for then?
    It's not so much that, but how many problems I've had with my service through Comcast. I won't get into details, but let's just say there's history that has left me no longer willing to communicate with them, and when combined with not getting what I'm paying for (part or all of the time, depending on the channel and the TV in question), I want to get away from them and not look back with regards to television. A fresh start is what I'm looking for.

Their Internet service, however, while occasionally having its own issues, is far more reliable, and when it's functioning properly I'm very happy with it. Anything else locally available would seem like a downgrade.

By the way, Comcast is routinely "fuzzy" with what prices are specials, bundles, or just the normal rates, but from looking at my latest bill and what they post on their website, the difference for the Internet (depending on if I'm paying for their TV) may be between $0 and $10, not $20. Why a range? Well, they have this "Power boost" feature that temporarily beefs up your speeds, and I'm not sure if that's affecting my speedtests or not. My speed tests show me 20Mbps down and 4 Mbps up, but my bill suggests that I'm paying for the 12 down, 2 up package.

Now that I'm thinking back on it some more, I may be saving around $12 by using their TV.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

After Comcast screwed up and didn't send my father a bill, they disconnected him with no warning. As soon we got the issue resolved, I fired off a email to the VP of Customer Service. The flunky ADMITTED that Comcast's customer service sucked. I've otherwise been very happy with their internet service, especially since there's nothing comparable here.

Other than I think Directv is a little too high (and I think the same about cable) I have no real complaints about Directv. The one thing I've noticed is rain fade has been worse lately. I'm not sure if that's just been a fluke thing with the nature of the storms that have blown thru or if either wind has moved my dish slightly or else maybe I have a tree that is getting in the way.

One thing I'd suggest is NOT putting the dish on your roof. I absolutely knew not to do this and never did it when I did my own installs... and then totally spaced it out when I upgraded to the new HD DVR package with free installation. The installer went for the room install and I didn't think anything about it.... The reason you don't want it on your roof is because in Indiana we sometimes have ice and snow. At a certain point, those affect your reception. I had always mounted my dishes on the eave of the house. Easy access for a broom... or easy access with an A frame ladder.

You can also mount on a pole securely stuck in the ground.

Of course if you're in an apartment none of that matters...

A small amount of snow doesn't matter much but at certain depths it will... and you'll want to brush it off.

As for the rain fade thing. It doesn't do it every time it rains. It generally needs to be a good storm. And for me it tends to happen even before the rain arrives. I guess the dish is trying to 'see' thru the leading edge of the storm clouds as it rolls in. Usually the picture will come back before the rain has even stopped. Probably because the dish is looking at an angle at the lighter clouds at the end of the storm. But I'm talking heavy rains, a shower is no problem.

------

-John Wooden

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

In all fairness, I put my dish on the roof of my house when I had it installed. I may have lost two hours of reception during the ice storm this past winter and that was it (about two in the morning when it went out), no cleaning necessary.

Then again, when I did the signal test after the installer had left, I was getting 99s across the board......

I'd be pizzed off with a 2hr reception loss if it was a matter of needing to clean some ice and snow that I could easily do in other circumstances... but couldn't due to dish placement. Especially if there was a game or something on that I didn't want to miss. I do have an extension ladder though, and I can use it to reach my dish with a broom without actually having to get on a snow covered roof. So it works out for me. Not ideally but functional for those rare TV 'emergencies'.

But if the dish would've been higher on the roof, further back from the edge, or if I lived in a 2 story house, then all bets would be off.

Just something for someone to consider with getting satellite that they might not have thought about with OTA or cable only in their past.

------

-John Wooden

It was 2 in the morning!

Come to think of it, I never DID clean the dish after that storm hit.....

Besides, two words: SUPER. SOAKER.

Mood

I currently have u-Verse, which I love. I can't live without it!

Before I had DirecTV, which was great and I was upset to leave them. Customer service was phenomenal, and I hardly had issues with signal loss. Every time I did, I called DirecTV, they "pinged" my box(es) and if they couldn't find them, BOOM, $5 credit.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post: