Thread: Where would you rather live?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Where would you rather live?

This is a question more for Indiana people. I'll explain more later in the thread but this is vaguely part of a ethnological report I'm doing for work.

New York, NY
    Birmingham, AL
    Lexington, KY
    Memphis, TN
    Chicago, IL
    St. Louis, MO
    Atlanta, GA
    Cleveland, OH
    Dallas, TX
    Charlotte, NC
    Seattle, WA
    Miami, FL
    Los Angeles, CA

Maybe say the places you'd consider and places you would definitely not consider.
    Last edited by Isaac; 06-11-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Where would you rather live?

Given my druthers I'd live in LA, the comedy and music scenes there are just amazing and I would like to live in the nice weather. But I have a wife and family here so it won't happen.

I'd also consider NY and St Louis.

Definitely not Dallas, Lexington, Birmingham or Memphis.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given my druthers I'd live in LA, the comedy and music scenes there are just amazing and I would like to live in the nice weather. But I have a wife and family here so it won't happen.

I'd also consider NY and St Louis.

Definitely not Dallas, Lexington, Birmingham or Memphis.
    I think I'm going to need you to explain what you mean by an amazing LA comedy scene.

I would consider:

Seattle, WA
    Dallas, TX
    Charlotte, NC
    Miami, FL

I wouldn't consider:

New York, NY
    Chicago, IL
    Los Angeles, CA

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This is a question more for Indiana people. I'll explain more later in the thread but this is vaguely part of a ethnological report I'm doing for work.

New York, NY--doesn't excite me actually--NOT consider
    Birmingham, AL--see next one--NOT consider
    Lexington, KY--definitely not, nothing there really imo--NOT consider
    Memphis, TN--I LOVE M-Town--CONSIDER
    Chicago, IL--same as New York--NOT consider
    St. Louis, MO--meh--NOT consider
    Atlanta, GA--actually ATL bores me for some reason--NOT consider
    Cleveland, OH--I'd rather live in Alaska--NOT consider
    Dallas, TX--Dallas is awesome...love the weather, the city, everything--CONSIDER
    Charlotte, NC--never been--not sure
    Seattle, WA--never been but I doubt I'd be able to put up with the weather--NOT consider
    Miami, FL--too chaotic for me probably-- NOT consider
    Los Angeles, CA--see Miami--NOT consider

Maybe say the places you'd consider and places you would definitely not consider.
    My answers are above...
    Last edited by ChristianDudley; 06-11-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    I think I'm going to need you to explain what you mean by an amazing LA comedy scene.
    All of the podcasts I listen to have comedians I love based out of LA.

Comedy Bang Bang (nee Death Ray) (Scott Aukerman, Paul F Tompkins, countless others)

The Nerdist (Chris Hardwick and Jonah Ray)

Doug Loves Movies (Doug Benson, Graham Elwood)

Sklarbro Country (Sklars)

WTF (Marc Maron)

The Long Shot (Eddie Peppitone)

I could go on. It might not be NY but a lot of my favorites are based out there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    All of the podcasts I listen to have comedians I love based out of LA.

Comedy Bang Bang (nee Death Ray) (Scott Aukerman, Paul F Tompkins, countless others)

The Nerdist (Chris Hardwick and Jonah Ray)

Doug Loves Movies (Doug Benson, Graham Elwood)

Sklarbro Country (Sklars)

WTF (Marc Maron)

The Long Shot (Eddie Peppitone)

I could go on. It might not be NY but a lot of my favorites are based out there.
    Fair enough.

I've been to most of those places and I liked Seattle the best. I'd like to live there, but it really all boils down to cost of living. I'd rather live in a crappy town and be able to afford a nice house and lavish lifestyle than be in a great city and struggle to pay rent for my one room apartment with a shared bath while having to eat ramen every night.

So I guess I'll go with Lexington. Birmingham probably has a low cost of living too. Whatever's cheapest.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

My qualifier: In a perfect world where I had the choice and everything was equal, these would be my answers:

New York, NY-Absolutely.
    Birmingham, AL-No.
    Lexington, KY-No.
    Memphis, TN-**** no.
    Chicago, IL-Absolutely.
    St. Louis, MO-Yeah, but not at the top of my list.
    Atlanta, GA-Sure.
    Cleveland, OH-No. (Personal note: I move to Cleveland on Sunday. Not excited.)
    Dallas, TX-Yeah.
    Charlotte, NC-Yep.
    Seattle, WA-Yep.
    Miami, FL-Yep, but mostly because of weather.
    Los Angeles, CA-Absolutely.

If I had to choose three of the above options over the rest, it would be:
    Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta.

LA probably comes closest to matching my weather ideals. One thing I HATE is how we go from 60's to 90+deg and humid in a matter of days, sometimes in a day or two, and stay there. Where's the transition?

I've spent some time in Dallas and liked it... but my oh my was it hot. St Louis has never thrilled me. Chicago seems to be someplace I'd rather visit than live.

Lexington I've spent some time there (several week long stretches) and I always enjoyed my time there. Not sure how much I'd really like living there though.

Cleveland... ummmm no... Been there once and I never got the impression that Cleveland rocks... and they have real winters there too.

Never been to Miami.

Never been to New York city (been to NY state) and I assume NYC is like Chicago... Like an island to itself... an entirely different vibe than you'd get 50 miles out of town.

Charlotte was OK when I was there.

Seattle... never been there... but the perpetual rain would turn me off I think.

Memphis... only been thru it. If the vibe is anything like Nashville I think I could handle it.

Atlanta... only been thru it...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Does it have to be in the US? Cause give me Bora Bora please.

woman without a team

NO
    New York, NY
    Birmingham, AL
    St. Louis, MO
    Atlanta, GA
    Cleveland, OH
    Seattle, WA
    Miami, FL
    Los Angeles

YES
    Lexington, KY
    Memphis, TN
    Chicago, IL
    Dallas, TX
    Charlotte, NC

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

Does it have to be in the US? Cause give me Bora Bora please.
    have to be in a struggling relationship to go to that retreat place lol

I take Budapest Hungary then Chicago, NYC, any west coast city.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

I live in LA, moved here from Chicago, raised in Indy. I love LA and yes the comedy scene is amazing. Most Wednesdays I go to "Meltdown" which is in the back of a comic book store. $8 to see 5 or 6 up and coming comedians and a big name or two. In the last few months Demetri Martin, Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari, the Sklar Brothers, Marc Maron, Daniel Tosh, and Maria Bamford have stopped in to practice new material. Good stuff. Comedy here kills Chicago, though I'll always have a special place in my heart for iO, Second City, etc.
    Last edited by CooperManning; 06-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    I live in LA, moved here from Chicago, raised in Indy. I love LA and yes the comedy scene is amazing. Most Wednesdays I go to "Meltdown" which is in the back of a comic book store. $8 to see 5 or 6 up and coming comedians and a big name or two. In the last few months Demetri Martin, Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari, the Sklar Brothers, Marc Maron, and Maria Bamford have stopped in to practice new material. Good stuff. Comedy here kills Chicago, though I'll always have a special place in my heart for iO, Second City, etc.
    They're totally different beasts. In terms of standup, yeah Chicago blows hardcore. But it's ridiculous in terms of sketch and improv (and an improving theatre scene with places like Steppenwolf, Annoyance, wit, etc. ).

It's nice to hear that the standup scene in LA is being revitalized and some alt venues like you mentioned are popping up. Most comedians will tell you it's a much better idea to go to NY instead of LA if you're starting out just simply because unless you land a deal, there are just so many more places to perform and cut your teeth in NYC. Since the late 90s it was pretty much a handful of clubs filled with pros and actors/actresses trying to use it as a stage to land a film / sitcom (the way Tom Hanks and Michael Keaton kickstarted their careers). That's why I asked Nash to clarify a bit because I know when I was first trying my hand at standup I still kind of envisioned LA as what it was in the late 80s early 90s in terms of a real destination. But the pros (at least the ones that had left what I'll refer to as the midwestern circuit) I talked to all said NYC was a much better option. So, I guess I tend to think of 'scenes' in terms of constantly producing and incubating new talent and in a lot of ways, LA was has seemed more cannibalistic (like Hollywood itself). Or maybe not cannibalistic but that it had a comedy scene accidentally... only because comedians were out there trying to get other types of work.

Apologies for derailing the thread. Not that you really care for my answers (as I haven't lived in Indiana since I was 18) but to try and get this ship back on track:

New York, NY ... Absolutely.

Birmingham, AL ... Never been to Alabama, but given it's general geography in relation to other interesting cities... probably no.

Lexington, KY ... Grace can keep it for herself.

Memphis, TN ... This is unfair, but I really disliked the airport when I had a stop there on my way back to DC (for no real reason... it isn't as if I had to spend the night or something catastrophic happened, just didn't dig it). So I'm gonna say no.

Chicago, IL ... Sure.

St. Louis, MO ... I went to school not too far away from StL. Some cool areas like UCity and Soulard, oddly active local music scene... I'd go back.

Atlanta, GA ... Went to Atlanta once when I was young, though I remember little about the actual city. I remember a little more about nearby Helen, GA. Probably not.

Cleveland, OH ... We'd all like to flee to the Cleve and club-hop down at the Flats and have lunch with Little Richard. But we fight those urges because we have responsibilities. Also, it's called 'Mistake by the Lake' for a reason. Sorry, cdash.

Dallas, TX ... Never been. No idea.

Charlotte, NC ... It was fine when I visited but really no opinion about living there.

Seattle, WA ... I suppose.

Miami, FL ... Possible.

Los Angeles, CA ... Sure.

Though, if I'm honest, I'd say I never would have envisioned myself living in Washington DC. I moved here after graduating in 2006 for an internship - fully expecting to bolt after those three months. It's nearly five years later. Cool areas like U Street, Eastern Market and Adams Morgan, three airports that are (relatively ... though less so in the case of Dulles) commutable, 40ish minutes to Baltimore and NYC is only a five hour MegaBus ride or three hour Amtrak. It has a big city feel without feeling as suffocating as NYC can often be. So who knows?
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 06-11-2011 at 06:58 PM.

I am from Indiana but relocated to Washington, DC for work. I like the city okay but would be open to moving. I'd like to move to the UK more than any of the places below.

New York, NY: Only if I was paid enough to be able to endure the stifling cost of living.
    Birmingham, AL: Uh, my wife and I are of different races, so no.
    Lexington, KY: I'm a huge horse racing fan so I've been down here many times and like it, so yes.
    Memphis, TN: Never been
    Chicago, IL: No, couldn't take the winters
    St. Louis, MO: No, too much crime and not enough to do
    Atlanta, GA: Absolutely
    Cleveland, OH: Yes, the winters would suck but the cost of living is very appealing to me
    Dallas, TX: Never been
    Charlotte, NC: No, it is just one big boring suburb
    Seattle, WA: Absolutely
    Miami, FL: Absolutely
    Los Angeles, CA: No, but I would live in SF
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Mood

Possibly Charlotte NC from the list, but my favorite place would be Frankfurt Germany.

So many of my answers to these would depend on whether I'm a millionaire or an average middle class citizen.

New York, NY: If I were a millionaire with an unlimited budget then there is no place on the planet I'd rather live than the Upper West/East Side of Manhattan. It's my favorite place to go on vacation. I love NYC. But I don't think I'd like to live there if I were an average middle class citizen that couldn't afford to live with Manhattan and had to deal with the long crowded commutes. That would wear on me after a while.

Birmingham, AL: Meh, driven through it on the way to Florida and that's it. Nothing special about it.

Lexington, KY: Grew up in the Southern Indiana area near Louisville which isn't that far but ironically never went to Lexington. Sounds like a beautiful place. There is a lot of money down there.

Memphis, TN: Never been

Chicago, IL: Chicago is an awesome unique city, no doubt about it. But I don't think I could take the winters. Indy is about as much as I could take from a winter standpoint. I grew up in Southern Indiana and the Indy winter is noticeably different than that of just 100 miles south. The Chicago winters would be pretty rough to endure, but it would be a cool city to live in, that's for sure.

St. Louis, MO: Have lived close to it my entire life but have only been through it which is kind of inexcusable. I really need to take a weekend and hit up the brewery/arch/Cards game.

Atlanta, GA: Definitely. I have always been fascinated by the sprawl there. They have some of the best suburbs around, plus there are a ton of job opportunities. I would say that Atlanta has maybe the best skyline in the United States outside of New York and Chicago.

Cleveland, OH: Never been. Don't see anything too enticing about it.

Dallas, TX: Never been, but seems like the kind of place I would like. There is a lot of opportunity there and it just seems like a cool place.

Charlotte, NC: Only been to the airport. It seems like it would feel a lot like Indy.

Seattle, WA: Never been, but I don't see what there would be to dislike about this place aside from the rain.

Miami, FL: Definitely a cool place, but if I lived in Florida I would prefer to live in a more quiet area I think. I went to Miami for the first time last year when I was going on a cruise and it is definitely a beautiful looking place. If I had a lot of money then Miami would be tough to turn down.

Los Angeles, CA: Never been and need to go there soon. Weather is obviously perfect, and you have the beach atmosphere. Like New York, it's the type of place that would be perfect if you had a lot of money but then could get old if you had to live a middle class existence and deal with the long crowded commutes, etc. San Francisco is the only place I've been on the West Coast and that is a fabulous city.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-11-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

New York, NY ... 100% sure, but I'd want to keep my car.

Birmingham, AL ... No.

Lexington, KY ... Not sure I could. I don't like UK.

Memphis, TN ... Maybe, been there a time or two; had fun, but not sure if I'd want to live there.

Chicago, IL ... Heck yeah.

St. Louis, MO ... No.

Atlanta, GA ... 100% no.

Cleveland, OH ... 200% no.

Dallas, TX ... Sure, not too bad.

Charlotte, NC ... Don't have much experience with Charlotte, I did like Raleigh Durham though.

Seattle, WA ... Yes. I love rainy weather. Love the city.

Miami, FL ... No to Miami. Orlando, maybe.

Los Angeles, CA ... Heck yea.

Other places I'd consider:

Upper peninsula Michigan, San Francisco, San Diego...
    Last edited by Stryder; 06-11-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

New York, NY
    Birmingham, AL
    Lexington, KY
    Memphis, TN
    Chicago, IL
    St. Louis, MO
    Atlanta, GA
    Cleveland, OH
    Dallas, TX
    Charlotte, NC
    Seattle, WA
    Miami, FL
    Los Angeles, CA

Are those our only choices? I'd have to pass on all of them.

The only place I'd ever consider leaving my home in beautiful Brown County for would be somewhere in the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Are those our only choices? I'd have to pass on all of them.

The only place I'd ever consider leaving my home in beautiful Brown County for would be somewhere in the Rockies.
    I'm with Tom. Been to all the places in the list except Lexington. No interest in any except maybe Charlotte...maybe...but likely would not go anyplace except somewhere near the foothills of the Rockies.

Any where on the west coast because of the time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post

Cleveland, OH ... We'd all like to flee to the Cleve and club-hop down at the Flats and have lunch with Little Richard. But we fight those urges because we have responsibilities. Also, it's called 'Mistake by the Lake' for a reason. Sorry, cdash.
    I'm sorry too . Good thing they are paying me a premium to live there. And hey, at least it's not Detroit!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    New York, NY ... 100% sure, but I'd want to keep my car.
    You might have to take a second job to be able to afford the cost of parking it in the city.

I would want to go somewhere warm. Otherwise I would just assume live around Indy. I have been to Miami and wouldn't mind living there except for the humidity, but I guess I could get used to it. I have never been to LA or Cali, but I would try it out if I could afford it.