Thread: Players are publicly calling for Vogel...

Default Players are publicly calling for Vogel...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers players want interim coach Frank Vogel to get the full-time gig.

Now, it's up to team president Larry Bird to make a decision.

Indiana Pacers players said Thursday they want Frank Vogel to return as coach next season.
    It's been more than a month since the team's season ended and the waiting game continues.

"I'll be happy if Frank gets picked," said center Roy Hibbert before playing in a charity softball game for the Indiana Children's Wish Fund. "I've been with him since I was a rookie, so I hope he gets it. I understand that Larry's taking his time now, but I'm pulling for (Vogel)."

Bird has called Vogel the favorite from the beginning of the search, and the team has had several conversations with him. He took over for Jim O'Brien at midseason, went 20-18 to close the regular season and led the team to its first playoff berth since 2006.

"I think Frank did an excellent job, stepping in without the experience of a head coaching job," Bird said after the season ended. "The way he conducted himself, he brought positive energy to this team. We won more games than we lost. We did it with a young team, a team that's trying to grow."

Early in his tenure, Vogel claimed that Eastern Conference powers Boston, Miami and Orlando wouldn't want to play the Pacers when -- not if -- they made the playoffs. He introduced "smashmouth" basketball, an approach that focused on attacking the basket instead of O'Brien's perimeter-oriented game. He moved Tyler Hansbrough, a second-year player, and Paul George, a rookie, into the starting lineup and helped restore Hibbert's confidence.

It all helped them get into the playoffs and compete well before losing 4-1 to the top-seeded Chicago Bulls.

"I really feel strong about having Vogel around," George said. "I love him as a coach, as a person. But I have no control over it. I have to just go with whatever Mr. Bird goes with."

Vogel said as the season ended that he wanted the job and said with confidence that he feels he proved himself. He didn't expect a decision to be made quickly.

"It's really up to Larry and the front office," Vogel said. "Anytime you're making a decision as important as this, you never want to rush into it. Whatever timetable they decide is fine with me."

Indiana was interested in Mike Brown, but the former Pacers assistant and Cleveland head coach took the job as Los Angeles Lakers head coach. But the players have favored Vogel since he took over.

"I would like to see Frank get it," guard Lance Stephenson said. "He helped us out this year. He made us come in more as a group. I hope Larry Bird sees what happened and we can move forward."

George would like to see a decision made soon.

"It's still up in the air for me," he said. "It's something that I want to know, but it's something I have no control over."
    I think you have to expect that he's going to get the gig. The bigger question of course is what the assistant lineup will look like. My guess is the Frank and Larry are reaching out to the potential assistant pool as a team... this would explain why they're spending a lot of time together over the past week or two as alluded to in the other article.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Players are publicly calling for Vogel...

I'm actually pretty stoked about our coaching situation... for the first time in a long time. Since Bird was our coach. I love Vogel, and the names being bandied about as assistant coaches I'm excited about. It all starts with the coaching staff.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought Lance's comment in there was funny because Lance was a big reason, at least from what us fans have heard, in having that one rough stretch late in the season for us by not keeping his mouth shut to Danny and others.

Anyway, I'd love to see Vogel get the job. It is great when your players all want you to come back to coach them--it just builds team chemistry heading forward and gets everybody on the same page even better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

There is a lot to read between the lines in this article.

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a lot to read between the lines in this article.

haha, thank you for that. This place is getting crazy sometimes.

I really think Vogel has to be the coach. Our franchise center, and the two guys with the highest ceilings on the team all want him back. Also our most feared player, Tyler Hansbrough, would love to play for him.

What else more does the FO need other than a "sign" in bright neon lights? Hire Vogel already. His assistant coaching search will be much easier when he actually is an NBA head coach.

If we ever want a championship, this is the guy and the players who will take us there. Sure keep making moves in the draft, but I'm more than happy to ride this thing out for better our worse. If Lance Stephenson lives to his full potential as a combo gaurd, and George, Hansbrough and Hibbert all get better with age, we are a very deadly group. Mismatches in our favor at all positions.

I truly believe this is the year Hibbert will enjoy mismatches more than he suffers from them.

Any other guy not named Vogel and I truly believe we will not be as good. Hand shake deal or contract, just sign him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul has been wanting Vogel to get the head coaching gig for sometime. He tweets #TeamVogel quite often.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love the leap from "Players voice support for Vogel" to "Players are publicly calling for Vogel". Kind of like the Star version of the article saying "Players want Frank Vogel" without quoting a single player.

I understand that they like him and would probably prefer to see him back since they know what they are getting. But some people seem prepared to read "Players will rebel against Bird if Vogel not hired" into this, when it seems more "Players would like Vogel but will accept FO decision".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Hire Vogel already. His assistant coaching search will be much easier when he actually is an NBA head coach.
    I liked this part of your post so much I had to quote it to make sure it stood out.

I've never heard of a potential coach trying to assemble a team when he hasn't even been named the head coach. It has to be difficult to do when you still have the interim head coach tag next to your name.

They might be less likely to agree to an assistant's job now because there are job openings elsewhere. Either way, they should name him the head coach now so these available assistants will know for certain what direction the Pacers are going.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!