Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Area 55 Season Thread 2011-2012

Come on 55ers lets make this happen.
    If you are not able to donate at least get the word out via FB and Twitter
    http://igg.me/p/93191?a=541294 <--campaign site

http://www.facebook.com/events/33586...f&notif_t=like <-Faceboook page

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

AREA 55 NEWS YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK!!!!!

Salutations, 55ers. The Pacers are back in town for a second encounter with Cleveland. The countdown to the playoffs continues. So far, so good. Our Pacers, right now, are ranked 3rd in the East with Boston 2 games behind us. Whom we’d play if we hang on to 3rd is still a toss-up – either Atlanta or Orlando look likely.

The Pacers are supposedly “blessed” with a rather easy schedule the rest of the way. If we run the table and win most of these games, we should garner a home court advantage when the playoffs start. Unfortunately, teams like Milwaukee, Minnesota, Detroit, Philadelphia, --and yes, even lowly Cleveland -- aren’t about to just roll over and die for us. They’re playing, for the most part, without any pressure and would be very happy to knock of a playoff contender. Hence, the remaining games that our boys face are important. Our recent wins against Toronto (another 5-point squeaker) and Cleveland (an overtime) bear witness to my point.

Our Pacers can’t let up. And, 55ers, we can’t either. Be on hand for renewed war tonight, my friends. Be loud.

PTO Tonight! Looks like a prime night for the Pacers Tailgating Organization. Not all of the Pabst Blue Ribbon that Matt Lindsay and Hobert Montgomery brought last time was imbibed. That’s reason enough to come. But there's another attraction! Convicted felon and PTO VP / GM, Casey O’Brien, has promised to conduct an auction of some of his treasured Pacers memorabilia to raise money for the Bring Back Justin Beck Campaign (see below). All merchandise is to be sold “as is” and buyers are advised to ask no questions as to its sourcing. Casey will also be selling, for his own account, autographed copies of his birth certificate and his book “I Am Jim O’Brien’s Love Child.” Be there!

Bring Back Justin! Kyle “Kielbeze” Brumback has inaugurated a move to try to assist Area 55 Rookie of the Year, Justin Beck, in returning from Oz to view the Pacers in the Playoffs. Personally, I’m all for it. For some reason or other, Justin Beck is good luck for the Pacers. When he was around earlier, our boys won some very tough games. I don’t know why he’s such good mojo, but he is. Accordingly, any of you that want to help out with getting him to come back to Indy and do a reprise of his prior visits to BLF, check out the poop at the following websites that Kyle’s set up:

Indiegogo site http://www.indiegogo.com/bringjustinback?c=home

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/events/335865999807253

NOW FOR SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT CLEVELAND!!!

David West Punch Hospitalizes Cleveland’s Mascot! In tonight’s game Kyrie Irving and Anderson Varajao are injured and won’t play. Cleveland fans won’t be seeing their mascot, Moondog, for a while either.

http://tinyurl.com/785bqp8

Moondog needed to be taken to a local hospital after suffering an eye injury during a pre-game play fight with Pacers forward, David West, Wednesday night. While his long-term prognosis is fine, Moondog’s status for the Cav’s Sunday game with Orlando remains unclear. Moondog should’ve thought twice before taking on the X-Man.

“He jumped at me so I thought we were playing around and then the next thing I know he went down,” West told reporters after the game. “It was definitely an accident.”

After West returned one of Moondog’s punches, Moondog was spotted running through the Q, Cleveland’s arena, his dog head removed, clutching a towel to his eye. The mascot occasionally has fun sparring with opposing players before the game or during a timeout. Moondog and West exchanged some playful punches and apparently one caught him hard enough to do damage.

It might be the most memorable Cleveland mascot mishap since the Indians' mascot, Slider, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament when he fell off the outfield wall at Progressive Field during the 1995 American League Championship Series against Seattle.

As for Moondog, his recovery time should be much quicker. Not that it made West feel any better. While some Pacers teammates reportedly chuckled about the incident, West was apologetic.

“I feel terrible about that, I really do,” West said. “We were just having fun right before the game. We were just messing around. I really hope he's OK. Make sure he knows I'm sorry.”

GO PACERS! GO AREA 55!
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 04-13-2012 at 02:22 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

these are getting shorter Joe

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My life is getting shorter too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

He didn't even do one for Saturday's game. Joe could be facing impeachment here soon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Bring Back Justin! Kyle “Kielbeze” Brumback has inaugurated a move to try to assist Area 55 Rookie of the Year, Justin Beck, in returning from Oz to view the Pacers in the Playoffs. Personally, I’m all for it. For some reason or other, Justin Beck is good luck for the Pacers. When he was around earlier, our boys won some very tough games. I don’t know why he’s such good mojo, but he is. Accordingly, any of you that want to help out with getting him to come back to Indy and do a reprise of his prior visits to BLF, check out the poop at the following websites that Kyle’s set up:
    Very Kind Words Joe, Appreciate it!

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

My apologies to the AREA55 group expecting my Brazilian group to stop by your PTO. Got a later than anticipated start on our journey to the game and had to make a quick pit stop (hunger attack) at the Arbys first. This was about 6:40 and by the time everyone had finished we were only had time to make the opening intros.

Would like to say thanks to one of your family members (Don?) for taking the time after the game so my group could take a picture with him at the main fieldhouse entrance.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Mood

Is there going to be PTO at the Arby's lot before the Chicago game? My cousin and I are going to that game (he's a Bulls fan UGH but the Pacers are his 2nd team and we went to fanjam together) and he's making the trip to Indy from Kalamazoo and I'm going to take him to tailgate if there will be PTO there. Thanks!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    Is there going to be PTO at the Arby's lot before the Chicago game? My cousin and I are going to that game (he's a Bulls fan UGH but the Pacers are his 2nd team and we went to fanjam together) and he's making the trip to Indy from Kalamazoo and I'm going to take him to tailgate if there will be PTO there. Thanks!
    There will definitely be a PTO we may move to the larger lot across the stree wich would be next to Arby's. We are going to have to end up going there if we want to PTO during that game of in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    There will definitely be a PTO we may move to the larger lot across the stree wich would be next to Arby's. We are going to have to end up going there if we want to PTO during that game of in the playoffs.
    So when did they bump the price of your lot from $5 to $10 bucks?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

They claim they only do it on weekends.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

AREA 55 NEWS YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK!!!!

Greetings, fellow 55ers! Today, I pen this Newsletter with an optimism and zest that is altogether uncharacteristic of me.

True, North Korea is now probably planning another intercontinental rocket launch as this goes to press. Unemployment is still way too high – I can’t buy a coffee at a local convenience store without a panhandler running out of the shadows and asking me for change. The price of gas is still going up and I’m considering walking to BLF for the next home game. The grind of everyday life can be a tad depressing.

But today I have some good news to buoy my spirits. Our home team - Indy’s team - is 3rd in the East. We’re playoff-bound and Vogel-led. We’re healthy, winning, and have a good shot at 1st round home-court advantage. Life looks rosier when I think about the Pacers.

The Pacers’ play of late has been stellar too, making our playoff prospects bright. Roy’s getting double-doubles and blocking everything coming his way. Danny’s game lately has been nothing less than inspired. Big Daddy D has been a pillar of strength underneath and our reserves, Lou, Tyler, and Leandrinho have brought a welcome energy, giving a renewed meaning to the term “smashmouth” basketball.

All seems well.

Friday, our Pacers neatly dispatched the Bucks, owning them on the boards and shutting them down defensively in the waning seconds of the 4th Quarter, when it really mattered. In doing so, the Pacers also possibly ruined whatever slender playoff hopes the Bucks still harbored going into that game. The win took the Pacers to 38-22, a full 16 games over .500. We’re now 20-8 at home and 18-14 on the road. We’ve come a long way from the Jim O’Brien days.

We now have 5 home games left and just 2 more on the road. More to the point, and as mentioned, we’re playing very good basketball. Winning all 7 of our remaining games isn’t totally beyond the realm of possibility. Furthermore, the opposition’s gagging. Orlando’s in turmoil; Philly is swooning; and Boston and New York have been very up and down. I like our momentum. I like our play. The gloom that pervades the morning Star’s front page dissipates a bit when I move to the Sports section.

Thank you, Pacers! Thank you very much for that!

Playoff Tix! Some of you have been asking me about Playoff Tickets. Well, I checked today with Rob Laycock and he tells me we’ll know something “very soon.” Therefore, when I know, you’ll know. Stay patient importunate ones. You’ll get your tix. Last year we had to ante up around $10 or $15 for them but they were, happily, deeply discounted. Save your pennies. You’ll get tix.

New Chants! Your Prez liked the soccer-style “Ole-Ole” cheer which materialized magically against Cleveland whenever Leandrinho drilled a 3. In this vein, consider also, my friends, a sustained GOOOOOOLAZOOOOOOOOOOO-GOLAZO-AZO-AZO. Cheer as well. Our blurry Brazilian buddy might like that too.. It goes like this:

http://tinyurl.com/78gv64z

We need more clever chants for playoff time, fellow reprobates. Put your thinking caps on.

Gear Up for the Playoff Referees! With the playoffs imminent, my fevered brain has turned to one of my favorite topics – NBA refereeing. Google’s your friend, so I googled and discovered this:

Last year, just before the playoffs, John Ball, a Texas-based statistician, and some mathematical friends of his launched a website called Refcalls.com. His idea was to analyze NBA refereeing on the website and ascertain how good it actually was.

They were very busy guys.

Based on his work, Ball claimed that NBA players get away with traveling as many as 50 times a game.

He also found that 80 to 100 calls (or no-calls) per game are either wrong or, at a minimum, at odds with the language in the NBA's own rule book.

Ball concluded that either NBA rules needed to be enforced or changed to improve the integrity of the game.

In reading Ball’s claims, I had this recollection – a lingering, painful recollection – of a decisive Derrick Rose layup in one of our Playoff games last year with the Bulls that I thought was a mammoth walk. I hoped to see it again, slowly, and analyzed by Ball and his buddies. And eureka! I found it. There it was, right there on Ball’s site. The score was 84-84 with 17 seconds to play. And I was right! Rose walked!

Check the analysis of this out at Refcalls.com:

http://tinyurl.com/7s7r2ns

There are a couple more of these Pacers – Bulls playoff replays of decisive instances of bonehead refing that you also might enjoy looking at:

http://tinyurl.com/cb7cwxg

This all prompted me to try to find out the average age of an NBA referee.

It appears that no one knows. Or, better, the NBA doesn’t post it anywhere.

To get their ages, you have to go to Wikipedia and insert the names of each referee individually, find their birthdates on their separate Wiki webpages, and then do the math. Instead of by their ages, NBA refs are listed -- sort of like fine wines -- by the number of seasons they’ve officiated.

It was too tedious for me to do the individual ref by ref analysis and besides, it turns out Wikipedia doesn't have webpages for every NBA ref. Accordingly, in my quest for ages I searched elsewhere. I found some dubious websites stating the average age of an NBA referee to be 63 (posted on a website dated 4/20/11); 44 (posted on a website dated 11/11/04) and another one that estimated the average to be “around 50”.

Then I found another site stating that during the 2008-2009 season there were 16 referees who were under age 40; 22 between ages 41 and 50; 17 between ages 51 and 60, and 5 between ages 61 and 70. There was 1 listed as being over 71 – Jack Nies, who has since retired.

For the 2011-2012 season, 79 NBA referee names are listed at Wikipedia (with 5 of these being listed as “guest” officials – whatever that is). Of the 74 non-“guests” - 17 had 1-5 seasons of “NBA experience” under their belts; 10 had 5-10 years; and all the rest had been in the NBA 10+ years. There were 11 names listed with 20+ years experience

You might wish to know that, among the older ones, Dick Bavetta was born on December 10, 1939 (making him 72 for the playoffs). Bennett Salvatore is 62. And everybody’s favorite, Joey Crawford, is 61.

Sound a little old? Welcome to NBA basketball!

So how do you get to be an NBA ref, anyway? I tried to check this out too. Hell, I’m nearing retirement age. Maybe I could start a new career!

According to Joe Borgia, there’s a selection process of sorts. A committee consisting of Borgia and some others go to a lot of college games, especially tournaments, and then invite selectees to attend a D League camp. Then they enroll in the D-League. How they get from the D-League to the NBA wasn’t explained. I suspect you have to wait until someone with more seniority than you dies.

According to a more skeptical source, Mike Lupica, “getting into the NBA as an official probably requires an "in" of some sort. There are examples of referees who have family members in the officiating field, either with the NBA or in other sports; also, Joey Crawford, Tim Donaghy and two other NBA officials all attended the same high school in Pennsylvania. How odd that they all ended up as NBA referees. Either that high school has a special program for training refs, or the alumni connection carries weight.”

How much moolah do NBA refs make? According to Lupica, that’s fuzzy too:.

“This one is difficult. There is very little info about this - over the last couple of days I've read estimates from $100,000-$250,000, and other estimates have been higher (the highest I've heard is $400,000). One of the reasons it is probably hard to figure out is because refs have other sources of income besides the games. The job seems to be full time (as opposed to NFL refs, where refs are classified as part time and some have other jobs). There are workshops and conferences which NBA refs hold; they are probably getting some coin for that. There are appearances, lectures, etc. Some referees get into the memorabilia industry. Freebies count as income. Bottom line: they are making six figures on average. They are all living comfortable lifestyles - almost every single referee I've read about has a nice house in the suburbs that is worth a good amount. I don't think refereeing is a poor paying job... if anything, it's akin to a doctor or a lawyer.”

So that’s my skinny on NBA refereeing.

Brace yourself, 55ers. I anticipate a bumpy playoff ride.

But on to our next foe! Minnesota!

Karmic Tough Love. Remember the last time we played the Timberwolves on the road? Remember Kevin Love saying this:

“I’ve said all along,” Love said, “I don’t like the Pacers.”

See, with 23.7 seconds remaining in the 3rd and the game still tight, Kevin was whistled for a very hard foul against Danny Granger and Granger took offense. They bumped into each other and then other players had to separate them. More words were exchanged and a few other player face-offs occurred before order was restored. No punches were thrown and Danny was assessed a technical.

After the game (which the Pacers won in convincing fashion) Kevin was still hot about the Pacers' reaction to his foul.

“I knew that none of them were going to do anything,” said Love. “Just play ball. It’s part of the game – a hard foul, everybody is getting fouled out there.”

“(They think) they are so tough,” Love said. “They take those pills and they got all that toughness. I don’t know where that comes from. They all think they are tough guys. I just don’t know where that comes from. It just blows my mind. They are all tough and that makes me laugh.”

Love then claimed to be looking forward to an April 16th rematch with the Pacers in Indy:

“I guarantee the next time we play them, it will be just as physical,” he said.

By the way, following the Love-Granger fracas, the Pacers went on a 20-10 run. Granger said afterwards that the incident lit a fire under him. But for the Timberwolves there was no similar effect. Kevin was apparently saving all his fire for Monday’s game.

Sadly though, it looks like Kevin’s promise of renewed future physicality with the Pacers will come to naught. He’s now nursing a concussion sustained from another spate of recent NBA toughness – in the form of an elbow to the head inflicted by another apparent pill-taker, JaVale McGee. Consequently, it looks as though Kevin’s festering plans for ghastly karmic revenge on Danny and the rest of the Pacers may have been put on hold. Maybe next year.

By the way, here’s a clip of Javale’s elbow and Kevin going down:

http://tinyurl.com/7fjb6hf

One YouTube NBA wag saw some cosmic karma in the McGee elbow. See, Kevin Love was once suspended for intentionally stepping on the head of a prone and defenseless J. J. Berea – an episode of NBA toughness that earned him a 4-game suspension. Hence Javale’s elbow to Kevin’s head was an instance of the NBA Basketball Gods awarding "payback."

Wanna see poor J. J.'s head getting squashed?

http://tinyurl.com/7a4rztr

Perhaps, in a sporting gesture and to speed his recovery, the Pacers’ team physician might provide Kevin with a prescription for a bottle of those toughness pills our boys take.

Then again, why bother. You see, Kevin, "Payback’s a *****."

Still, even though tonight they’ll likely be Love-less, let’s not take Minnesota too lightly, 55ers. Take a toughness pill yourselves! Be loud and mean! We have to keep our playoff mo going and we can't have a bunch of grousing lycanthropes defecating on our hardwood.

GO PACERS! GO AREA 55!
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 04-16-2012 at 07:19 AM.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

See this is how an IndyHoya article should read. I like that I have to take a smoke break half way through.

See this is how an IndyHoya article should read. I like that I have to take a smoke break half way through.
    And it's early. I think the threat of impeachment got to him.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    And it's early. I think the threat of impeachment got to him.
    I have no fear of impeachment. I would appeal to Roy for an executive pardon. Roy wouldn't let a fellow Hoya suffer the indignity of impeachment!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    Ok, thanks! We'll make sure to find you guys
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

According to FactCheck.org, the following errors or misstatements were present in the A55 president's latest message:

- The Pacers beat the Bucks on Saturday, not Friday.
    - Gasoline prices in Indiana are trending stable, not rising at the present time
    - Billy Crystal was not mentioned as an NBA referee in the ref analysis.

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

I'm working with WTHR right now to have them come out and interview/film PTO before a game. They said they would love to do that than show an empty shootaround. Be on the lookout for updates. Brickie, that means you need to be on your A game.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    According to FactCheck.org, the following errors or misstatements were present in the A55 president's latest message:

- The Pacers beat the Bucks on Saturday, not Friday.
    - Gasoline prices in Indiana are trending stable, not rising at the present time

Picky, picky. OK, maybe I still drive to BLF. And I'm time challenged. However, Crystal's movie role as an NBA ref should definitely be discounted.

However, on further reflection, Crystal's movie sting might make him one of the "guest" referees I referenced in my otherwise solid tome.

Actually, Crystal as a real NBA ref might be a welcome change. Could he do any worse than the crew that missed Derrick Rose's Playoff walkabout last year?

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

That was actually on this past weekend. I watched just long enough to see him go Joey Crawford x10 on everybody.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Banned
    Mood

i wish i could thank Joes reason for deleting

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I'm working with WTHR right now to have them come out and interview/film PTO before a game. They said they would love to do that than show an empty shootaround. Be on the lookout for updates. Brickie, that means you need to be on your A game.
    Originally Posted by kielbeze

I'm assuming we will have to move to last years playoff lot..but I'm afraid the larger southern portion of the lot might not be available because I believe it is all fenced off now. We will find a place don't worry..nobody can stop the PTO! I'm really pleased with the attendance this year..it's doubled in size and were getting non Area 55ers to come out too, which is great. We just have to keep being somewhat responsible..lol.
    Join the PTO > http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=147144471990&v=wall[/url]

PS3 gamertag = coolrunnings86

Twitter @brkyrd

Just curious, what's everyone's take on Dunleavy for Thursday? Are people cheering him for being a good guy and former Pacer or booing him for the dirty play on Tyler last month? I'm fully on the boo him everytime he has the ball bandwagon, but I hold grudges like a mofo.