Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 81

Thread: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

  1. #51
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Rubio HAS gotten it done in Europe. He won the Mr. Europa award at the age of 18 which is given to the best European born basketball player for that calendar year every year. That means even the guys in the NBA are eligible. It's based off club success, national team, success and individual success. Let's not act like Rubio hasn't gotten it done.
    yes , but (and sorry no available link at the moment) I have read on vairous sites that a number of NBA scouts over in Europe have commented that he has regressed

    I think he will be a good to great player in 3-5 years
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #52
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who was the last European-born player to have "poor" stats overseas, but blew up in the NBA?
    You've just described most Euros who reached star level in the NBA.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,029

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You've just described most Euros who reached star level in the NBA.
    Yeah, the European game just doesn't produce 20 ppg scorers, 10 apg point guards, and 10 rpg big men. Shorter minutes, bigger rotations, 10+ guys is the norm over there, not the exception.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. #54
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,412

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Nevermind. My apologies for my ignorant statements regarding European players. Based on those few players, the European games seems to be WAY different from the NBA games. As Trade Joe mentioned, I didn't take in consideration possible shorter games/minutes and deeper rotations. Plus (quickly glanced at a season scoreboard), their games generally seem to be lower scoring affairs than what's found in the NBA. One game had a final score of 57 to 59. In the NBA, that would be a record with the lowest scoring game being back in 1955 (62-57, shot clock introduced during the 53-54 season).

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nevermind. My apologies for my ignorant statements regarding European players. Based on those few players, the European games seems to be WAY different from the NBA games. As Trade Joe mentioned, I didn't take in consideration possible shorter games/minutes and deeper rotations. Plus (quickly glanced at a season scoreboard), their games generally seem to be lower scoring affairs than what's found in the NBA. One game had a final score of 57 to 59. In the NBA, that would be a record with the lowest scoring game being back in 1955 (62-57, shot clock introduced during the 53-54 season).
    Consider that, besides being a different style, European games are also 8 minutes shorter. Most of the games finish in the 70s, anyway. A game in the 50s is considered low scoring here, too.

  8. #56
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,600

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pau Gasol averaged 12.4pts and 5.8rebs in his last season in Europe, and then averaged 17.6pts and 8.9 rebs as a rookie in the NBA.

    Brandon Jennings went over and put up 5.5 points, 1.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, and 1.5 steals in 17.0 minutes per game in the Itailian league, and then 7.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 1.2 steals in 19.6 minutes per game in Euroleague.

    He then went on to average 15.5pts 5.7 assists 3.4 rebs and 1.3 steals per game as a rookie.

    There's too big a difference between Euro leagues and the NBA to try and discredit a player by only using stats.
    All I'm going to say is this.

    Every game I've ever watched Rubio play in (Probably around 20 or so) I was not the least bit impressed.

    Woo, fancy pass. That makes me want him...Maybe he gets it done. If he does, more power to him. I couldn't care less, considering I don't view Minny as a threat and don't care about them anyways.

    And while stats certainly don't tell the whole story, I just wonder why they were so poor. He's supposed to be the best player in Europe. Why can't he average at least double digits in either points or assists? I'd especially hope he can get more than 3.5 apg in the NBA. Maybe he's just throwing awesome pass after awesome pass and his teammates just suck and can't score? 3.5 isn't very good for a guy who's a point guard and supposedly the best player on an entire continent.

    Sure, maybe they have deeper benches, shorter games blah blah blah whatever. But 3.5 apg? That's a guy I'm begging to have on my team.

    To add in, you can look up our PG's stats for assists. They aren't that great. AJ only like 1. something and Darren I think was at 4.0 apg. But my only real problem with Rubio is he's supposedly the next great thing. The best player on the continent apparently. And those are his stats?

    I hope he comes here and averages 30 and 15 just to prove me wrong. More power to the Justin Bieber of basketball.

    I just don't see it. He threw a few fancy passes and some turnovers. Nothing I haven't seen from any backup NBA point guard before.
    Last edited by Psyren; 06-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  9. #57
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't care less, considering I don't view Minny as a threat and don't care about them anyway.
    Didnt the T Wolves bash our brains in like Nazi soldiers on Inglorious *******s last year?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:


  11. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didnt the T Wolves bash our brains in like Nazi soldiers on Inglorious *******s last year?
    didnt we bash Miami's brains in? It the NBA that happens in the regular season.

  12. #59
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's supposed to be the best player in Europe. Why can't he average at least double digits in either points or assists?
    Supposed to be the best player in Europe at 20? By who? It's a veterans' league. 20 year olds just don't do that. Even prodigees like Kirilenko or Gasol or Ginobili hardly get Euroleague minutes at that age.

    The last time 20 year olds were dominating Europe was ~1984, the generational shift, when semi-amateur players were getting killed by Sabonis/Drazen Petrovic generation. It's a different level now.

    And while I'm not impressed with Rubio's scoring, asking for double digit assists is ridiculous. Noone comes close to it in Europe. Half the NBA assists don't count as assists under FIBA rules.
    As far as Rubio and NBA, we'll see. The guy looked better at 18 than he did in Barca. The system sucked for him.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  14. #60
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    didnt we bash Miami's brains in? It the NBA that happens in the regular season.
    Not like Minny did to us. That was one of the worst *** whippings I have ever seen, but I get your point.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  16. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not like Minny did to us. That was one of the worst *** whippings I have ever seen, but I get your point.
    but that game wasn't so much Minny playing good it was we played so bad.

  17. #62
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but that game wasn't so much Minny playing good it was we played so bad.
    It was horriawful either way.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  19. #63
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,029

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Sure, maybe they have deeper benches, shorter games blah blah blah whatever. But 3.5 apg? That's a guy I'm begging to have on my team.

    3.5 APG which leads his team, which is one of the best clubs in Europe...

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  21. #64
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3.5 APG which leads his team, which is one of the best clubs in Europe...
    Indeed. It's not an otherworldly number, but it's more than respectable for a 20 year old. For comparison, Dimitris Diamantidis this season set one of the Euroleague's top assist marks of the decade by posting slightly over 6 APG, while playing 30 minutes to Rubio's 22.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  23. #65

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    I saw everything I needed to see when he played in the WBC and Olympics. He's not going to be D. Rose, but I think he could be Steve Nash if his shooting improves. He's young, and he's got the hardest part of playing PG down, which is how to pass and where to get it to guys so that they can score easily.

  24. #66
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    I don't see the Nash comparison, but I could see a Baron Davis comparison in the future. He's bigger / stronger / longer than Nash, much alike Baron, and has the frame to keep filling out and become one of the big and strong points.
    It's nearly impossible to go from terrible shooter to Nash. Besides, Rubio doesn't have Nash speed.
    He can also be a Baron-like defender - Baron is good at D when he tries, and Rubio does try all the time.

    Rubio is not as athletic as Davis in his youth, but otherwise, there's lots of similarities.
    Last edited by ballism; 06-04-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: language mistakes

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  26. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see the Nash comparison, but I could see a Baron Davis comparison in the future. He's bigger / stronger / longer than Nash, much alike Baron, and has the frame to keep filling out and become one of the big and strong points.
    It's nearly impossible to go from terrible shooter to Nash. Besides, Rubio doesn't have Nash speed.
    He can also be a Baron-like defender - Baron is good at D when he tries, and Rubio does try all the time.

    Rubio is not as athletic as Davis in his youth, but otherwise, there's lots of similarities.
    I really agree with this comparison IF he pans out he could play like a pass first Bdiddy. Which Bdiddy hasnt ever been IMO.

  27. #68
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,989

    Thumbs up Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    All things basketball aside , I always thought Rubio had a passing resemblence in looks to Pistol Pete ..



    Untill I really started examining closely , now all I got to say is WOW!



    Peep this , and tell me this isn't uncanny as hell...

    .
    .
    .





    Pistol Pete Maravich



    Ricky Rubio




    I simply cannot believe how much they look alike ..

    .



    .
    Last edited by Kemo; 06-05-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  29. #69
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    dunno why in IE the pics dont show up..

    here are direct links for those who can't see pics

    http://www.ultimatenba.com/parecidos...ckyPistol2.jpg


    http://www.ultimatenba.com/parecidos...ckyPistol1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  31. #70

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    You're right, almost identical.

    PS to those trying to view pictures: copy the link and paste it in your address bar or else it won't work. They have a redirect on hotlinks that won't allow you to access by just clicking the links.

    EDIT: This should make it easier on everyone:

    Last edited by redfoster; 06-05-2011 at 01:01 AM.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:


  33. #71
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,989

    Thumbs up Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by redfoster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, almost identical.

    PS to those trying to view pictures: copy the link and paste it in your address bar or else it won't work. They have a redirect on hotlinks that won't allow you to access by just clicking the links.

    EDIT: This should make it easier on everyone:

    Thanks red ..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  34. #72
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,269
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    They definitely look alike. I wonder if Pistol Pete was in Europe in early 1990....

  35. #73
    Get well PG! DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,038

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They definitely look alike. I wonder if Pistol Pete was in Europe in early 1990....
    He died in 1988........
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:


  37. #74
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Hmmmm things aren't looking good for Bill Simmons lol this from one of his annual how tradeable someone is article that he does this one from 2010.

    "In fact, I thought about making Kahn the following bet: If Ricky Rubio plays even one minute for the Timberwolves, I will drive from Los Angeles to Minnesota for his first game while wearing a T-wolves jersey that says "KAHN" on the front and "No. 1" on the back. (It's an 1,835-mile trip. I looked it up.) But I don't want to root for the T-Wolves fans to lose Rubio; they've suffered enough. I hope I am wrong. I don't think I am."

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ons/100208/one

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:


  39. #75
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmmm things aren't looking good for Bill Simmons lol this from one of his annual how tradeable someone is article that he does this one from 2010.

    "In fact, I thought about making Kahn the following bet: If Ricky Rubio plays even one minute for the Timberwolves, I will drive from Los Angeles to Minnesota for his first game while wearing a T-wolves jersey that says "KAHN" on the front and "No. 1" on the back. (It's an 1,835-mile trip. I looked it up.) But I don't want to root for the T-Wolves fans to lose Rubio; they've suffered enough. I hope I am wrong. I don't think I am."

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ons/100208/one
    I'm of the mind that Rubio will be traded. Why would you choose to come to the NBA now? It's a really bad, bad choice of timing. Right before a lockout, and when you won't make the money you would if you had waited 1 more year. It screams to me that Minnesota told him his trade value was nothing without his commitment to be in the NBA, so he did that.

    Just committing to play in the NBA the next season probably just doubled his trade value to other teams. They know they won't play a waiting game and be hoping for him, he's going to be there.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Minnesota Timberwolves still high on struggling PG Ricky Rubio [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
  2. Minnesota Timberwolves work to forge connection with Ricky Rubio [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
  3. Minnesota Timberwolves field calls for Rubio, in no rush to deal [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 07:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 05:00 PM
  5. ESPN Insider
    By BleedBlue in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •