Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

I think it makes it more likely they try and make a trade for a quality veteran with the no. 2 pick. They have got to take a big step next year or Kevin Love might start looking for a change of scenery.

Minnesota needs a perimeter scorer more than anything. And I don't think Derrick Williams is a good fit.

Default Re: Ricky Rubio has reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves

Yay, a guy who averaged 6.5 ppg and 3.5 apg in Europe!!!!
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's a bust, Minnesota is in trouble. All these lottery picks, and really only Kevin Love is panning out so far. Yeah they're still young.. just saying
    ...and he was a Mchale pick. Kahn's resume ain't looking too hot.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    ...and he was a Mchale pick. Kahn's resume ain't looking too hot.
    He did make the excellent trade for Beasley. What did that deal cost, a 2011 and 2014 first-rounder? Other than the LBJ/Bosh deals, that was probably the most lopsided trade of this past offseason, whether the Wolves are any good or not.

But yeah, basically every other single trade has been terrible.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Is it me, or is anyone else pissed that if there is not a trade pomised/ associated with this, and Rubio actually plays in MIN, then it almost makes Kahn look "good". You know he is up there in MIN feeling cocky, runing his mouth to all his critic's, & show'n his a$$, & that just makes me ill...
    It's kinda like that it is always some toothless old schmuck who finds a winning the lotto ticket when 99% of the time they couldn't find common sense with 2 hands & a flashligh. To me that is what Kahn signing Rubio is like. I hate it!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, I think Kahn says a lot of things that someone in his position shouldn't say (not that I actually disagreed with any of it that I can remember) and he's made a couple of bad moves (like drafting Flynn) but he really takes more grief than any other NBA executive than I can think of. I would be happy for him and the Wolves' organization if Rubio does play for them and he succeeds.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    He did make the excellent trade for Beasley. What did that deal cost, a 2011 and 2014 first-rounder? Other than the LBJ/Bosh deals, that was probably the most lopsided trade of this past offseason, whether the Wolves are any good or not.

But yeah, basically every other single trade has been terrible.
    I believe they were 2nd round picks for Beasley actually, two 1st round picks from the Wolves would be really quite a lot.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I believe they were 2nd round picks for Beasley actually, two 1st round picks from the Wolves would be really quite a lot.
    My bad, I definitely meant 2nd rounders.

The Timberwolves might be interesting to watch this year...

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rubio is like Rondo. Can't shoot, but he won't be able to get to the rim like Rondo.

He might pick some pockets, but he will not be the one on one defender that Rondo is.

That and Rondo has 3 HoFers around him. I would rather have Grevais at this point.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Rubio is like Rondo. Can't shoot, but he won't be able to get to the rim like Rondo.

He might pick some pockets, but he will not be the one on one defender that Rondo is.

That and Rondo has 3 HoFers around him. I would rather have Grevais at this point.
    Yeah, with four arms he would have mad skills.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Yeah, with four arms he would have mad skills.
    Now add four basketballs and a pacers jersey....

Listening to a podcast recently, not sure which one.

Anyway, I guess in International ball, the opposing teams would clear out against Rubio and make him guard their Point Guard one on one, to which he really struggled.

Also, mentioned that he had a target on his back by lesser American Point Guards who would go at him really hard due to his name recognition. Some low level college American Point Guard dropped 40 plus on him, in this type situation.

Anyway, I know, no direct reference, but that is what they said.

He'll have a huge target on his back in the NBA. I hope Minnesota is smart enough to get him in situations he can learn and suceeed.

With all of that said, they have a hierarchy in International basketball, where older guys get respect and receive deference from younger guys and Rubio would adhere to this often and therefore it lessened his impact. Also, the style in the NBA where you have dynamic athletes who are finishers, you could see him really being in his wheelhouse as a creator with the ball in his hands. If he has that special court vision and the handles to operate, it'll be evident pretty quickly.

I'm excited to see him play. After watching Yesthecabbage not being able to bring the ball up the court against pressure, I'm never sure what to expect from these guys.
    Last edited by Speed; 06-02-2011 at 10:02 AM.

When will people stop using statistics from European basketball to claim a player isn't good? It's really a very, very different game. Especially in terms of how the players are rotated in and out.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yay, a guy who averaged 6.5 ppg and 3.5 apg in Europe!!!!
    Thank you! I was starting to think that I was the only one who thought he was overrated in BIG way.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    When will people stop using statistics from European basketball to claim a player isn't good? It's really a very, very different game. Especially in terms of how the players are rotated in and out.
    I'll admit that I'm a stat whore, but even I don't put much weight on what stats players put up in EuroLeague.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Could it be that most Americans believe that the Europe Leagues may be "inferior" to the NBA? IMHO, if you can't get in done in European Leagues, then I can't see a player being that successful in the NBA. However...and I will say this...you never really know, because his "strengths" maybe more suitable for the NBA, or team concepts may do a better job of "hiding" his weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Could it be that most Americans believe that the Europe Leagues may be "inferior" to the NBA? IMHO, if you can't get in done in European Leagues, then I can't see a player being that successful in the NBA. However...and I will say this...you never really know, because his "strengths" maybe more suitable for the NBA, or team concepts may do a better job of "hiding" his weaknesses.
    But Rubio HAS gotten it done in Europe. He won the Mr. Europa award at the age of 18 which is given to the best European born basketball player for that calendar year every year. That means even the guys in the NBA are eligible. It's based off club success, national team, success and individual success. Let's not act like Rubio hasn't gotten it done.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I'll admit that I'm a stat whore, but even I don't put much weight on what stats players put up in EuroLeague.
    Who was the last European-born player to have "poor" stats overseas, but blew up in the NBA? I don't include American-born players, since they would have played American basketball in high school and college respectively.

I'd ask this, how much did the league leaders even average in the different leagues over there. Whats the best numbers over there?

I really wonder how many 20 point scorers there were in the higher level leagues last year? 7 plus assist guys? Any 10 board a game guys? If so how many games did they do it in, how many minutes a game do the "stars" play over there?

I have no idea, but don't we need a frame of reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'd ask this, how much did the league leaders even average in the different leagues over there. Whats the best numbers over there?

I really wonder how many 20 point scorers there were in the higher level leagues last year? 7 plus assist guys? Any 10 board a game guys? If so how many games did they do it in, how many minutes a game do the "stars" play over there?

Juan Carlos Navarro is Barcelona's current leading scorer and he averages typically between 14 and 16 PPG. He would be considered one of the elite scorers in Europe. Rubio's 3.5 APG lead Barcelona. Basically in 22 MPG, Rubio is averaging 6.5 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 3.5 APG and 1.6 SPG.

So his stats aren't even that bad. It's just that people don't understand that basketball in Europe is different. He's the leading assist man on arguably the best basketball team in Europe, a very good rebounding PG, and he creates nearly 2 steals in 22 minutes of play for a 20 year old, that's pretty good IMO.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-02-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

I just got finished asking myself the same question. I was reviewing his stats and his individual awards after the 2009 NBA Draft, and his stats don't scream NBA ready player. In reality, most of stats have been in decline minus his FG%. I might have unfairly judged him, because he's winning awards for "Best PG", and he has stats are "alright" by NBA standards. Later on today, I might review European stats as a whole, BUT I still believe he's WAY overrated for becoming a NBA player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Who was the last European-born player to have "poor" stats overseas, but blew up in the NBA? I don't include American-born players, since they would have played American basketball in high school and college respectively.
    Andrea Bargnani wasn't killing it in europe stats wise and was still the number one pick, now he is a pretty good player.

EuropeBargnani began his career in 2002–03 with Stella Azzurra Roma in Italy's Serie B2 division, averaging 13.2 points and 4.5 rebounds in 23 games.[2] He then signed with Lega A side Benetton Treviso for the 2003–04 season and played there until 2006.

In 2003–04, he posted averages of 4.9 points and 2.0 rebounds in 10 games in his first Lega A season with Benetton.[2] He made eight appearances in Euroleague action, recording 2.4 points and 1.5 rebounds an outing.[2] Incidentally, Bargnani faced his future team, the Toronto Raptors, on 20 October 2003 in a pre-season game at the Air Canada Centre. He tallied 13 points, five rebounds, one steal and two blocks in 22 minutes in an 86–83 defeat to the Raptors.

In 2004–05, he averaged 12.2 points and 5.4 rebounds in 28 Lega A games for Benetton, and averaged 3.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 18 Euroleague matches.[2] The next season, he averaged 15.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.7 blocks and 1.8 steals in 47 games for Benetton.[2] He posted a season high of 25 points against Rome. He also shot .528 from the field and .408 from three-point range, and led the Lega A in blocks with 82. In the process, he helped lead Benetton to Italy's Lega A 2006 championship. In the Euroleague, he contributed 10.9 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.3 blocks, while shooting .558 percent from the floor and .434 from three-point range in 18 games.[2] He posted a season-high 20 points against Panathinaikos and Strasbourg.[2] Bargnani was subsequently named the Euroleague Rising Star, the award given to each Euroleague season's best Euroleague player aged 22 or under, for the 2005–06 season.[2]

Pau Gasol averaged 12.4pts and 5.8rebs in his last season in Europe, and then averaged 17.6pts and 8.9 rebs as a rookie in the NBA.

Brandon Jennings went over and put up 5.5 points, 1.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, and 1.5 steals in 17.0 minutes per game in the Itailian league, and then 7.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 1.2 steals in 19.6 minutes per game in Euroleague.

He then went on to average 15.5pts 5.7 assists 3.4 rebs and 1.3 steals per game as a rookie.

There's too big a difference between Euro leagues and the NBA to try and discredit a player by only using stats.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he will be able to play in the NBA. I just don't think he's going to be the player that he's hyped up to be. Likely not top-tier. The way everyone talks about him, he's a legend already.

If "deference" is taught in Europe to forego personal achievements at the cost of stats, he's going to have to "untrain" himself. How easy will that be? And I still have questions about his shooting, athleticism, and especially defense. I won't question his court-vision and passing ability, although both (from what I've seen) aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.