Thread: Getting a legitimate starting PF

Sports Logo

Default Getting a legitimate starting PF

Hey guys.

I've been trying to see if we can pull off a deal that nets us a starting power forward without losing other starting positions.
    Darren is a legitimate starter. George is a prospect who might shine. Granger is a good starter. Hibbert is... a pretty good starter. They need a good PF next to them.

Why a power forward?
    We lost some games to the Bulls because we got outrebounded. This basically means we need better rebounders, especially big ones. We also lacked consistent scoring options other than Granger.
    I know, we got Hansbrough, who is nice, but is he really enough?
    Sure, he had a short rookie season, and this year he played pretty good compared to a second year player...
    But I don't think he's a good short term nor long term solution to our PF spot.
    On offense, he's one dimensional. He usually scores with his mid-range jumper, which is sadly not consistent enough, and he sometimes has hustle points (that's actually the best thing about him). No post game, no created shots. Only open Mid shots.
    On defense, he doesn't let his opponents establish position easily. He's a tough defender. However, I don't find him good on the defensive end. First of all, he isn't a great defensive rebounder. Second, while he is a tough defender, he isn't a good defender. He lacks quickness and skill.
    Now, he'll probably improve some areas of his game. He will eventually have a post game I guess. And you could argue that he's part of our "Young future guys". Problem is, he'll be 26 next season... He could be a late bloomer, who knows, but are we willing to wait with it?
    We could also bring him as our 6th man if we do not trade him.
    Now, some of you guys are probably going to say "hmm.. we're not going to win a championship anyway, why bother?". Yeah, we won't, but I want to make the playoffs next year, not be in the lottery again. As things stand now, we probably will make the playoffs, but I want something better than "Probably".

Our Options:
    Josh Smith - Awesome fit. The reasonably paid PF is one of the best defenders for his position. He can also score better than our current #2 options, is really athletic, and will be 26 next season. We all know he can fly all over the court, and can spread the floor a bit as well. He has 2 years left on his contract, which is fine. The bad thing about him is that he can be a knucklehead - he sometimes settles for jumpers.
    What would it take to get him? Well, Atlanta are looking for a starting center so they could slide Horford to the PF spot. This gives us 2 options:
    1. Signing Nene/Marc Gasol, then trading Hibbert or the FA to Atlanta. This is our best way of getting him, but is pretty unlikely.
    2. Getting a 3rd team with a center inolved. It will need to be a rebuilding team because we're not going to offer our core guys, only draft picks and fillers (Rush/Hansbrough/Jones etc). I tried playing around with Utah and the Clippers, but I couldn't make either happy enough.

Paul Millsap - Decent fit. This guy has the best production on court for his contract. He basically puts the same numbers as Smith, but he isn't as athletic, which means less blocked shots and less rebounds. However, his shot selection is better, and he isn't as vocal as Smith (is it good or bad?).
    His salary is about half of Smith's salary, and he has 2 years left on his contract as well.
    What would it take to get him? I really don't know. A package of Hansbrough+Future picks might (hopefully) do the job, since he doesn't really fit with Utah's young core. They'd rather trade him than Jefferson.

Carl Landry - Good rebounder, decent defender. Not bad on offense but not great either. Will be 28 next season.
    What would it take to get him? Overpaying him. He's a free agent. My guess is around 30m / 3 years or so.

David West - The best available scoring Power forward we can get. He's also the most experienced one, and the oldest one (31 next season). The thing about him, he's injured. It means we could probably sign him cheaper than we could otherwise. This could be risky though, as we know very well what could happen to forwards with knee injuries...
    What would it take to get him? paying him... free agent. My guess is around 24m / 3 years (He's still thinking about whether he should opt out of his 7 million contract!).

Andray Blatche - Really talented, not really commited. Will be 25 next season. He's a good rebounder but he's not as athletic as Smith, and has a ridiculous 45% eFG. His contract isn't really big, but it's long. Getting him means we're going to have him around until 2014-2015. That could be really good if he steps his game up, and could be really bad if he doesn't.
    What would it take to get him? This year's #15 pick or so. He has low trade value. Blatche is High risk, High reward.

Carlos Boozer - He might be available, he's sort of a "Super Hansbrough".
    What would it take to get him? I don't know, but we should probably just keep Tyler unless we get him for free.

What do you think? Who would you pick? And feel free to post trade ideas for these guys

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Getting a legitimate starting PF

I am interested in Josh Smith, and Paul Millsap, but J-Smoove just seems to be exactly what we need. The 3-team trade is a must, because he is only i perfect fit if Hibbert plays the 5. I really hope there is some way Larry can get this done.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hell no to Boozer matador on defense and has a massive contract

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hell no to Boozer matador on defense and has a massive contract
    And i straight up hate the guy. He's one of the biggest d-bags in the league lol

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Realistically, I like the idea of Millsap the most. Especially if Utah drafts Kanter. Millsap will be up for grabs. The problem is, it doesn't seem like we're great trading partners with Utah.

Sports Logo

Smith is the best fit, but he's a real longshot (unless we give them Hibbert). Another way of getting him is taking on a bad contract, which will involve a 3rd team as well, but that's not optimal at all. Again, my dream scenario would be getting a center through free agency and trading that new center or Roy for Smith, but I doubt that's possible.
    I believe Millsap is available now, and he'll be more available if they draft Kanter. (Millsap plays SF/PF. their future SF is Hayward, their future PF is Favors, and if they get Kanter then Al Jeff will probably play 4 sometimes as well). They will probably be looking for a young shooting guard/point guard. Maybe Rush + two first round picks, but I'm still not sure it'll do.
    About Boozer, he's a better fit than most of you would think, and a huge upgrade. He's the best rebounding forward in the league. But I don't think we can get him for cheap, he's pretty old (30 next season), his contract is long...

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    He's the best rebounding forward in the league. But I don't think we can get him for cheap, he's pretty old (30 next season), his contract is long...
    I really don't think in two years Boozer will be much of an upgrade over Tyler. Especially with his injury history. That contract is brutal, so I actually think he would come cheap, Chicago would love the cap room, but I wouldn't take him for free.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Smith is the best fit, but he's a real longshot (unless we give them Hibbert). Another way of getting him is taking on a bad contract, which will involve a 3rd team as well, but that's not optimal at all. Again, my dream scenario would be getting a center through free agency and trading that new center or Roy for Smith, but I doubt that's possible.
    I believe Millsap is available now, and he'll be more available if they draft Kanter. (Millsap plays SF/PF. their future SF is Hayward, their future PF is Favors, and if they get Kanter then Al Jeff will probably play 4 sometimes as well). They will probably be looking for a young shooting guard/point guard. Maybe Rush + two first round picks, but I'm still not sure it'll do.
    About Boozer, he's a better fit than most of you would think, and a huge upgrade. He's the best rebounding forward in the league. But I don't think we can get him for cheap, he's pretty old (30 next season), his contract is long...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post

Great picture, forgot about him
    He's like "Hello, ME?!?!?!?!?!"

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Smith - My choice out of these picks you put here. If we don't have to give up Roy, George, Hansbrough, DC, then i'm all in. I actually have a trade made up for this...I will post in a thread in a bit.

Millsap - I'm not the biggest fan of him coming here. He is undersize, has awsome energy and has had a healthy career thus far outside of hip and knee problems. Not sure how he'd hold up against the east and we don't have the big body's like Jazz to compensate him being undersized.

Landry - Not legitmate in my book, just look at his career. No way he'll get 10 mil per. More like 5-6 mil per.

West - would love to have him, only if it wasn't for that knee injury. Sad for him.

Blatche - Can't see Wizards coming off him at this time. They are really bad and they would want pieces not hopeful picks for him.

Boozer - Bad attitude, huge contract and looked like crap in the playoffs.

Out of that list I like Smith the best for the Pacers. I don't know that Paul Millsap would be a good fit next to Roy. I also think the Jazz are more likely to trade Al Jefferson than Paul too.

Landry would not be bad to add but I don't consider him a starter. Not bad off the bench though.

I'll throw a couple other names in the mix. Luc Mbah a Moute. He is a free agent for the Bucks. My guess is they re-sign him. He is only 6'8 but he can defend both small and power forwards and he is not a bad rebounder for a guy his size. I also like Patrick Patterson. While he was just a rookie last year the Rockets have several big men and they can't play them all. Can the Pacers pry Patterson away? My guess is no but just a thought.

A guy that I think the Pacers have a real shot at (come cheap $ wise) and who can make an impact is Jason Thompson of the Sacramento Kings. He still has to improve but I think he would be a good addition to the team. Would Rush and 15 (or something like that) be enough to get him from the Kings?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Wizards have several young bigs that I am sure would be attainable for the right price. McGee probably won't get traded. But outside of Blatche, they have Trevor Booker, Kevin Seraphin, Yi Jianlian, and Hamady Ndiaye.

I would prefer Seraphin to any of these guys, but Booker would be a welcome addition. He would give you rebounding, defense, and toughnewss off the bench. He wouldn't be a starter IMO, but he would help solidify the PF rotation if McRoberts leaves. Seraphin would be a guy that could be your starter with a little more development.

I think the Wizards would be open to making something happen. I don't think anyone is untouchable outside of Wall, with McGee being someone they covet as well. I think every single player outside of Wall will be available.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'm a fan of Seraphin. Would love to get him, but I doubt the Wiz let him go. Well maybe if they draft another big with #6. Booker is much more attainable. Yi's contract is up.