Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Miracle

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OT: Miracle

Hey allready! Thx, would be great if you could look that up for me! Is there a download somewhere on the net, anyone?

I think that North America uses another DVD standard, yes, BUT I have also heard that there are ways around it.

So, someone wants to tell me just a little more about what EXACTLY it is about?

Regards,

Mourning
    The movie is based on the 1954 Milan Indians. A small high school team (with i believe 6 or 7 total players)that ends up beating Muncie Central for the state champs. I thinks it's very overrated and much the original names (including the school names) have been changed. The story also had to be altered to be more interesting. ed:
    You call yourself a Hoosier! Booo!

I wasn't born in Indiana...
    That explains... everything, actually.

Indiana > natstoned
    I've lived in Indiana 19 years...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I WAS born in Indiana and I refuse to ever see that movie.
    Hmmm ... very conscending opinions on this movie here! ed:

Regards,

Mourning
    I think natstoned and I are in the small minority, though I'll never understand why.

It might help you come to an understanding if you actually SAW the movie....

ed:

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Hmmm ... very conscending opinions on this movie here! ed:

Regards,

Mourning
    I think natstoned and I are in the small minority, though I'll never understand why.

Mood

The movie is based on the 1954 Milan Indians. A small high school team (with i believe 6 or 7 total players)that ends up beating Muncie Central for the state champs. I thinks it's very overrated and much the original names (including the school names) have been changed. The story also had to be altered to be more interesting. ed:
    I don't think the movie is overrated at all... but that's just my opinion. It is somewhere between great and excellent .
    Anyway.... while the Hickory Huskers are a fictional team most (if not all) of the schools they play in the movie are in fact real. Some no longer exist due to consolidation tho.

What movie writer could invent a town/team called the Oolitic Bearcats?

-Bball
    I really didn't like the subplots... ed:

I said I would NEVER understand it, which clearly indicates I have no plans of ever seeing that piece of ****.
    I can't argue with that logic... nor can I argue with a Purple Hippo doing a slap dance anyway!

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

I said I would NEVER understand it, which clearly indicates I have no plans of ever seeing that piece of ****.
    I can't argue with that logic... nor can I argue with a Purple Hippo doing a slap dance anyway!

-Bball
    That sounds like a nice sig for btown...

I hate when people insult/slam things they didn't even see. Seriously. ed:

Mood

Btown, just go see it so they'll hush up... ed:

Mood

Give me 2 hours of my life and 6 bucks to rent it.
    6 bucks?

I know the story. That's actually what happened, not the movie. So knowing everything that happened gives me no grounds on which to riddcule the movie?
    No. That's like reading the script and saying you saw the movie. Not at all the same thing.

LOL! I type one thing about the movie Hoosiers and this thread goes from hockey to basketball. Who'da thunk it!

Mood

Give me 2 hours of my life and 6 bucks to rent it.
    6 bucks?
    I'd need something to eat or drink, of course.
    Forget you...

I know the story. That's actually what happened, not the movie. So knowing everything that happened gives me no grounds on which to riddcule the movie?
    No. That's like reading the script and saying you saw the movie. Not at all the same thing.
    No it's not. Since the movie, for all intents and purposes, is a work of fiction roughly based on real life, it isn't like that at all. The actual story is vastly more interesting. Reading a movie script or reading a book a movie was based off of are two completely different things.
    Fine, but that still doesn't mean you can fairly judge a film without watching it. You will never convince me otherwise. It's just not possible to fairly criticize a movie you haven't even seen. You either get that or you don't. I really have nothing else to say on the matter.

Welp, time to pack it in. Nothing more to discuss here. I'm too ignorant to ever understand anything.
    You poor martyr you. ed:

Welp, time to pack it in. Nothing more to discuss here. I'm too ignorant to ever understand anything.
    You poor martyr you. ed:

I thought you were done????

I'll probably go see that "Miracle" movie sometime, but only because the movies right now are generally bad. And if someone else pays!!!!!
    I was done arguing my case.

Mood

You ARE kidding - right!?!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

"Sorry...

You are trying to access an image from outside of Clubplanet.com. We do not allow hosting of imagges linked from other web sites. Please visit Clubplanet.com directly for the best nightlife information."

I am not at all a hockey fan either. In fact, you could count the number of minutes I have watched NHL hockey on one hand.

There are very few things, outside of national tragedy, that galvanized a country the way this team did. It was truly amazing. Beating the Russians was like Butler beating the Lakers. I was lucky enough to see them play the Indy minor league team in their preparation for the Olympics. Of course, not even coming close to realizing the destiny ahead.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

"Sorry...

You are trying to access an image from outside of Clubplanet.com. We do not allow hosting of imagges linked from other web sites. Please visit Clubplanet.com directly for the best nightlife information."

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/images/smi...readjacked.gif

Well, it would if the movie was actually supposed to be the story of little Milan and its quest for a championship BUT it never ever claimed to be that. Of course even if it did claim that it would still help your point if you actually saw the film.

Someone must've thought: "The story of a small Indiana school coming together and winning the state championship is interesting. Especially how the communities rallied around their teams and they made the games and times special. I bet there is a good movie that can be made around an idea like that" And on that concept they wrote a movie.

Obviously, it isn't supposed to be the story of Milan since they didn't even name the town or team Milan YET they did name the other teams real names. If that isn't a clue that it is supposed to be fictional then I don't know what is. In the liner notes of the DVD you can read that the movie was inspired by Milan's state championship. Inspired....

Also, they didn't want to write a 'sports' movie. By making the team and characters fictional it allowed them to create more depth to the movie (characters) and not make it something that only exists from one game to the next being stuck with potentially dull characters or subplots.

Actually, doing what they did I would think should negate your objections.

Your problem (I would think) should only exist if they claimed this was the story of the Milan Miracle and then took creative liberties that you could argue weren't as interesting as the truth or distorted reality. ....Or if you watched the movie and decided the real story of the Milan Miracle was even better and they should've told THAT in your opinion.

Personally, I think what they did is a better idea than creating a movie that is supposed to be about some historical event and then creating a bunch of fiction around that event.... thus blurring history.... This never claimed to be 'real' history.

Altho I guess "Saving Private Ryan" would never exist if movies were held to the above standard. And it is a great movie itself.

But I am only pointing out some things that confuse me about your stance. I can't argue with a purple hippo doing a slap dance!

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I was in Lake Placid that weekend - the excitement was astonishing. Keep in mind that Russia was to hockey what the US has been (until the Goodwill games in 02) to basketball - pretty close to unbeatable. Plus they had what amounted to a pro team while we had a bunch of college kids.

I'm sort of wondering whether to see the movie or not. After going absofrockinglutely nuts when it was going on I think it'll be a let-down. I do remember everyone wondering if we'd have a let-down after beating Russia and lose to Finland.

BTW - I wasn't actually AT either of those games. I did see a prelim game between Sweden & somebody but as a college student didn't have the cash to get into any of the US games and certainly not any of the medal rd w/ the final 8 teams (we were pretty darn psyched just to get that far). We were watching speed skating when word started running through the stands that we were up on Russia - the place flat-out EMPTIED. People started getting in fights to find a spot to watch on TV. We didn't even pretend on Sunday. I don't even remember what we had tix for - we just went to a bar and watched the Gold Medal Game.

It wasn't just that we won either - it was RUSSIA - the Evil Empire. The dues who were still in Afghanistan. Plus they'd thrashed us in an exhibition not too long before the games.

Wild time - and I don't think anyone burned anything down afterwards either.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

So can someone tell me about that hockey game? I understand it's importance generally, but I really don't care much about hockey and it was long before my time.
    Btown,
    HBO has a documentary about the game. It -might- be called "Miracle on Ice".

EDIT: It might be called "Do You Believe in Miracles"

If the movie is as good as this documentary then it is well worth spending your own money to see.

I recommend the HBO documentary if you don't know about this game or period of time in US history. It will set the mood for you. I can't see how it would do anything but make the movie experience even better (assuming the movie is good as we've been told).

ESPN also has a documentary about this team... but IMHO the HBO one is better.

It was replayed not that long ago (maybe around the time the coach died)... and with the movie release I would think they'll air it again.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I know all about the period of time in history, just not the game itself. If I can find a tv with HBO, I just might watch it. Thanks!
    Here is is Btown... looks like it is available on DVD as well. Check the HBO schedule for it.

"Do You Believe In Miracles?: The Story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team"

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2215

And now we have come full circle and the thread is back to the original topic!

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I WAS born in Indiana and I refuse to ever see that movie.

Huh?

I don't get the statement. Do you refuse to watch it because?

1. It's a bad movie?
    2. It's a subject you don't like
    3. You don't like movies
    4. You know too much about the Milan team that you don't want to spoil the memory?
    5. You're stubborn and hard headed?
    6. Don't like an actor(s) in the movie?

Seriously, if you're a basketball fan, it is a fun film to watch. I'm just sure if it fills into any of the categories above. I'm not slamming you but I'm just curious on why you think this way?

To Mourning: Watch the movie, it's awesome. I have an old friend with a speaking part in the movie. He's the guy who walks in front of Ollie in the Regional Final and says, "I didn't know they grew 'em so small down on the farm", and Ollie precedes to shoot the next two free throws. His name is Jeff Moster and he is/was a really neat guy. Plus, I tried to get out of school for the filming at Hinkle (High School) but my Mom wouldn't let me go and miss school.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.