Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bball's 2011 Indy500 pics and comments

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bball's 2011 Indy500 pics and comments

Indycar is too classy to allow that...LOL. Definately a missed opportunity to keep the buzz going. I'd love to see Graham somewhere else competative just to stick it to Chip, don't be suprised if it is Penske...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Especially with Penske going to GM next year and Chip staying with Honda... Perfect opportunity for Penske.

btw, JR's professionalism after Indy is rewarded: http://blog.indianapolismotorspeedwa...e-well-earned/
    Last edited by Sandman21; 07-13-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

SO here is a question for all you gear heads, since the Brickyard race the moto GP races look like they will be questionable in the near future, what do you think about IMS adding the road course to the IRL schedule. Should they?

I'd be all for it. I've honestly been to the 500 so many times as a kid, I need something new. They already got the track, might as well use it.

Also it seems like people in Indy only really pay attention to the 500, and really don't give a damn about the IRL series in general. Right now they hold the last race in Las Vegas. If they finished the season out in Indy on the road course and crowned the series champion at Indianapolis, I think that would add alot of prestige to the sport. Also there is the marketing aspect of seeing if a driver could win Both races in one season.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Well... if you want my opinion they should get some heavy equipment in there and rip that whole road course section out. Remove any temptation to use it for anything.

I'd be tempted to say get Nascar outta there as well...

Make it so drivers aspiring to run Indy have only ONE way to do it - In an Indycar on the oval.

I wasn't vehemently against Nascar coming to Indy back when Nascar was on its ascension and Indycar seemed to be in a good place. But Nascar popularity is dwindling (not just at IMS but nationwide), and Indycar doesn't need the competition and doesn't need to give Nascar another large stage.

Also, don't take the Nationwide race from ORP.

Then put innovation back into Indycar... loosen the rules at the 500 by itself...

Bring back the apron...

Get the TV coverage away from ABC.

Fire Brian Barnhart... yesterday...

...Oh and bring back the snakepit....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The road course is an interesting problem. Do I see them taking it out? No. Never. We'll have to see how the Grand Am (Nationwide series cars with a coupe body) race goes...What would I like to see on it? ALMS. That's a whole different breed of cat than the NASCAR Rolex Grand Am series.

I think they are slowly trying to increase innovation in ICS, but they are taking it slow due to the fragile nature of the open wheel economy. They can't afford a spending war right now.

Bring back the apron +1000. It is under discussion and wouldn't be too hard to do over the "off season".

I have a feeling that we're going to see it on NBC when the Versus contract is up, or nearly up. Think of it as a reward, a crappy one, for their loyalty in getting ICS back on TV...BTW, I don't get Versus on my satellite package, either.

I have a gut feeling TGBB is gone after the season, so he can "spend more time with his family". There are ample replacements in place.

Snakepit...+10K
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Uh-oh, do we have a rising star in Takuma? He takes his second pole of the season for KV Racing!

Of course, Will have to watch his 6 tomorrow with "Princess" Francrybaby starting right behind him.....
    Last edited by Sandman21; 07-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

No need. Takuma, while very fast, is also quite the crasher. Unless, of course, he shunts Frankcrybaby...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Actually I was referring to Power....

And I'm officially a fan of the Grid run/walk/whatever:

Miller to Seabass: "Your on live TV, so don't be using any of those nasty French words."
    TK : "But you can use wanker!"

Tags is definitely still the wanker of the week this race.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 07-24-2011 at 04:39 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Wanker of the week LOL, We should start a WotW topic!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Takuma Sato should be pissed, getting spun out like that. Though I kinda dont' understand how he was so easily passed in the beginning losing 2 spots on one corner, one would have thought that he should of had the fastest car on the track.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

You can't win it on the first lap, but you can sure lose it. He should be pissed. That was crap.

I know its a bit off topic, but what in the hell is with these Nascar drivers throwing stuff out their car? Today at the BrickYard i seen someone throw a water bottle out the side of their car going over 100 miles an hour. Dont' they have a passenger side floor board? It seems like they just wanted a caution!?

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know its a bit off topic, but what in the hell is with these Nascar drivers throwing stuff out their car? Today at the BrickYard i seen someone throw a water bottle out the side of their car going over 100 miles an hour. Dont' they have a passenger side floor board? It seems like they just wanted a caution!?
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. That is truely the source of some of the mystery "debris" cautions that occur in Nascar. They actually caught Robbie Gordon doing it on tape several years ago.

The "new car" is going to be tested next week at Mid Ohio. Closed to the public, but expect some pics to show up.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I like it!

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...-pact-ABC-ESPN

The Indianapolis 500 and a limited number Izod IndyCar Series races will remain on ABC and ESPN as part of a six-year contract extension announced today.

The extension carries the partnership through the 2018 season.

ABC aired its first 500 in 1965.

ABC will remain the exclusive network broadcasting outlet with four additional IndyCar races airing on the network. Those races have not been determined.

ESPN International will retain international distribution rights, but in a key point for international viewers, ESPN International does not have to keep the races within its outlets.

This story will be updated.
    Bah...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

So I gather Versus (AKA NBC Sports Channel) will still (until their contract runs out) have whatever races ABC/ESPN doesn't want... BUT since ABC/ESPN are the exclusive network broadcasting outlet then that would seem to mean NBC Sports can't move a race from Versus to OTA broadcast TV. So in reality, nothing has changed. Bah humbug!

Possibly no broadcast network was willing to pony up so they had no choice but to go with ABC/ESPN but I'd think the longterm interests of the sport would be better served with a shorter contract, less overall $$$, and giving another network a crack at coverage. ABC does a LOUSY job. The Versus product is SO much better. It's crossed my mind that Indycar would be better off with that production on a time-buy on network TV and try and rebuild the base that way.

Unless there's some promises and arm-twisting going on in the contract to force a better onscreen product and promotion out of ABC/ESPN then I'm having a hard time believing this is good for the sport.

ABC will remain the exclusive network broadcasting outlet with four additional IndyCar races airing on the network.
    I'm assuming this means the Indy 500 and 4 addtl races for broadcast TV... not 4 addtl races over what is currently in the ABC/ESPN package. IOW... there won't be 4 less races on Versus.

------

-John Wooden

I don't like it!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Hopefully, when the story is updated, there will be a whole new spin on future coverage with massive changes on all fronts including partnership promotion, on screen talent, product placement, etc etc etc upgrades.

I don't see much positive here if it's more of the same... and especially with a 6 year contract.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Balls...Hate it. Hate it. HATE IT!!!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I like it!
    I do too. Without the air box. I want to see it in person so I can digest the rear end which looks like an ALMS car right now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

http://www.1070thefan.com/news/Story.aspx?ID=1522376
    INDYCAR announced today that it will delay the introduction of alternative aero kits for its new IZOD IndyCar Series chassis until 2013. The next-generation chassis remains on target to debut in competition at the start of the 2012 season.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

There are not enough swear words in my vocabulary to say what I think about that...BTW, first lap crashes are a sign of major douchebaggary....

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Graham is snake-bit at the moment. Although that was probably the least preventable first lap wreck we've had in awhile.

Who was that who bonzaied the outside when we went green before Helio spun it? Looks like Scheckter.

Someone put Francrybaby in the wall, please.

AND GOOD FOR TAKUMA! Thats all on Dario. Takuma wasn't going to let the Princess pull that on him and Dario is done for the day!

AND WE HAVE THE FRANCRYBABY WHINE! CAN'T TAKE THE BLAME FOR TAKING HIMSELF OUT! SHUT IT AND WATCH THE REPLAY PRINCESS!

And I just joined the fire Bryan Barnhart camp! That restart absolutely shouldn't have occurred. AND POWER FLIPS OFF THE OFFICIALS WITH THE DOUBLE BIRD!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 08-14-2011 at 05:40 PM.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: