Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bball's 2011 Indy500 pics and comments

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bball's 2011 Indy500 pics and comments

The thing is, if Dario had whined about it in the second pre-race interview and then dropped it and raced, I wouldn't have been so venomous, but the way he carried it on AFTER the race was disgusting and has probably caused him to lose some respect in my book. You know that if the situation had been reversed and Will had drawn 28 and Dario drawn 3, he wouldn't be complaining.

And to be honest, I think Penske would have said something about it, but then went out there and raced, and wouldn't have been carrying on after the post-race interview. And I DESPISE Team Penske. Poor Dario was just upset that he actually had to drive around some slower traffic for once.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dario STFU and race. I used to have a lot of respect for him. Whining about this crap and whining about the two wides, I'm about ready to see this generation to the door and let's get some new blood in here. This isn't some gimmick that somebody pulled out of their ***. There is historical precedent for twins and THEY USED TO INVERT THE FIELD for the second one. Can you imagine the mooing and whining???

Seriously, you are either fast, or you aren't. If you are, then it doesn't matter where you start. If you aren't, it matters even less. You are going to the back.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

If Dario had whined the first interview and then dropped it, I would have mocked him some and that would have been the end of it to me. After he whined in the post race interview (when he finished in the Top 10), I lost all respect I had for him. It was kind of ironic that he was driving a car with a sponsorship for a diaper company, because he was acting like a spoiled brat! I mean, cmon, Marco drove a great second race too, and he had to start from the back. You didn't see him whining!

Isn't Dario one of the chief whiners over the Double-file restarts too?

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

FYI the races were 171 miles ea...

1.5mi x 114 laps = 171 miles.

They were 275 kilometers.

I wonder why they didn't just call them Twin 175's (miles) and run 117 laps each?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder why they didn't just call them Twin 175's (miles) and run 117 laps each?
    Because Dario and Chip would whine about that too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Seventh-place finishers in Izod IndyCar Series races generally don't come to the winner's media interview, but Saturday night's did at Texas Motor Speedway.

Dario Franchitti was furious, and while it wasn't clear if he came to the news conference voluntarily or was asked to, he certainly wanted to be seen and heard.

The three-time series champion vehemently disagreed with the way the starting order was determined for the second of two races. After the first, which Franchitti won, all 30 drivers turned around tires in a made-for-TV production.

Series points leader Will Power turned the tire bearing No. 3. Franchitti got what was left: No. 28.

That meant Franchitti had to labor through a mixed-up, congested field while Power sailed along near the front. Power took the lead on lap 40 and won the race, his first on an oval track, in relatively easy fashion. Franchitti scrambled to salvage seventh.

Power, who finished third in the first race, outscored Franchitti by 14 points in the races, giving Power a 21-point lead heading to next weekend's race in Milwaukee.

Franchitti and Power battled to the finish last season, with Franchitti winning the series title by just five points. This fight figures to be just as competitive. The thought had Franchitti steaming as each of Saturday's races paid an equal number of points.

"Through no fault of myself or (my) team, we had a massive handicap," he said. "(We had) great pit stops; I drove as hard as I could all night. We made up 21 places and then, through no fault of our own, lost a load of championship points."

He wasn't finished.

"There's enough variables out there. We don't need to be throwing dice to be deciding grid positions. That made me mad.

"I'm sitting there, OK, I won the first race, but at the same point my emotion right now has been pissed off about the hand we were dealt."

Power understood and acknowledged being as happy with the pre-race turn of the tires as he was in reaching victory lane.

"I knew (he) was screwed," Power said of Franchitti. "I thought coming into this race, you don't control your own destiny, basically.

"It's just a draw. It was going to be very unfair for someone. It happened to be Dario. In a tightly fought championship, you just can't have that."

Franchitti, who dropped at least one expletive in radio and TV interviews, insisted the finishers of the first race should have been inverted for the second -- with the winner starting last -- but that system wouldn't have created the drama this one had.

Several drivers used the tire-turning process to entertain the announced crowd of 73,000. Brazilian boyhood friends Tony Kanaan and Helio Castroneves hammed it up, with Kanaan's reaction to turning No. 1 a memorable moment.

IndyCar remains a distant cousin to NASCAR with low TV ratings, a relatively small fan base and a general lack of energy outside its own paddock. An event like Saturday's was a chance to catch the eyes of others.

The Firestone Twin 275s, the first doubleheader for open-wheel racing in 30 years, had an easy-to-follow format with competitive cars. The Texas track again delivered a thrilling product.

There were sparks from the cars as well as the drivers. The car that won the Indianapolis 500 was involved in the night's only crash, a two-car mess in turn four in the first race. Dan Wheldon, the 500 winner, was the TV analyst watching his car, driven by rookie Wade Cunningham, sustain significant damage.

But this race won't be remembered for racing or the crash or the uniqueness of two races in one night. It will be the random draw and the criticism of it.

"At the end of the day it's a sport," Franchitti said of IndyCar racing. "It's entertainment, too. They have to balance (that)."
    Indystar- Curt Cavin
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...over-luck-draw

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    If Dario had whined the first interview and then dropped it, I would have mocked him some and that would have been the end of it to me. After he whined in the post race interview (when he finished in the Top 10), I lost all respect I had for him. It was kind of ironic that he was driving a car with a sponsorship for a diaper company, because he was acting like a spoiled brat! I mean, cmon, Marco drove a great second race too, and he had to start from the back. You didn't see him whining!

Isn't Dario one of the chief whiners over the Double-file restarts too?
    Yep. One of the head "We're all gonna die" whiners. If you qualify ******, does that mean that you get to start in the front anyway because your racing for a championship? Just wondering...If you feel that oppressed, then give it a miss next year.

Don't know why they don't call 'em 175s. Makes too much sense I guess. If these guys don't want to do it, I'm sure there's a lot of USAC guys that would take the phone call...
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Dumb***
    Through no fault of myself or (my) team, we had a massive handicap," he said. "(We had) great pit stops; I drove as hard as I could all night. We made up 21 places and then, through no fault of our own, lost a load of championship points.
    I've got news for you Dario. Yes it's all a conspiracy against you and your team. Anyone who runs out of fuel while qualify for the Indy 500 gets screwed in the next race. It's one of the unwritten rules. Just ask Robin Miller.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Cavin pointed out in his blog today that Will Power had an argument to make in the first race about how Dixon was blocking him on the track, but you didn't see Will complaining!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Perhaps Will doesn't expect anyone to give him something...Next up, the Milwaukee Mile. Anyone taking bets on "the lapped traffic is just won't get out of the way"?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Anyone else catch that block on the last restart that Rahal threw on Power to give Dario the win?

Not to mention Dario nearly hitting one of the Penske pitcrew members!

Give me a break, the man wins the freaking race and all Francrybaby can do in Victory Lane is WHINE about Helio blocking when he used the same tactic TODAY to win!

Here's a contrast in style, when Dario beats Power, Will is very professional and congratulates Dario on a good race in his post-race interview.
    When Will beats Dario, all we get from Francrybaby is "WAHHHHHHHH ITS NOT FAIR WAHHHHHHH!"
    Last edited by Sandman21; 06-19-2011 at 06:20 PM.

"Francrybaby"... That's pretty good! Nicely played.

I didn't notice Helio doing anything overt with blocking Franchitti today. But then I was a bit distracted today so I could've missed it.

But even so, I don't think anything was blatant enough that Franchitti needed to make a big deal about it on natl TV in the winner's circle.

When it comes across as whining it sucks... If it comes across as drama then it's probably good for the sport though.

------

-John Wooden

And I'm going to keep calling him Francrybaby until he grows up and cuts the whining. He had no room to be complaining about Helio blocking (which from what I watched, wasn't out of control) after how Dixon blocked for him last week in the first Texas run and then how Graham Rahal dipped down on Power on the last restart to cut off his run and nearly caused a wreck in the process.

The amazing thing is he's making me actually root FOR Team Penske! I want to see Will win the series championship just so we can see Francrybaby whine at the end of the season.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Nah...He don't have **** to say to anybody. I think all that being around Ganassi is rubbing off. I used to be a big fan because he was one of the foreign drivers that "got it". Not anymore. Feel bad about TK, though. Just pushing too hard.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Way to go for Takuma Sato to take the pole for Iowa! And his teammate TK starts in row 2!

Meanwhile Francrybaby is probably whining about having to start on the third row.

"WAH! The KV Racing cars aren't supposed to have faster cars than I do! And my blockers-er-Teammates aren't supposed to be starting from the back!"

I'd say you are right on the money there...

Helio just burned Francrybaby pretty good in the prerace interview...

"When the kids start crying, you just gotta it go."

And I don't like Helio either, but that was a good one!

The Wheldon/Miller pit walk is a REALLY good segment!

WHAT A FUN RACE TO WATCH!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 06-25-2011 at 10:55 PM.

I'm not really sure what to say about the 'penalty' on Dario that 'wasn't'.... On one hand I just want to say "Be consistent, take your time, make the call and stick with it" ....OTOH... What's with all the micromanaging of the races anyway? The series has pizzed around with these 20 year old chassis (ok 7-8 year old chassis) (and engines) that everybody is using... so I guess they've equalized the sport to the point where they think they have to micromanage the racing ...because nobody has the HP to make a serious racing move on the track.

------

-John Wooden

He crashed him. Avoidable contact. No question about it. If you think the hole is there and it shuts down. It's your responsiblity to get your nose out of there. Then the whole deal dissing Graham. I'm really starting to hate him...

Dario has sure found a way to go from hero to villain in a few short years. It seems some success has went to his head....

Dario = whine whine whine... anyplace... anytime...

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm not really sure what to say about the 'penalty' on Dario that 'wasn't'.... On one hand I just want to say "Be consistent, take your time, make the call and stick with it" ....OTOH... What's with all the micromanaging of the races anyway? The series has pizzed around with these 20 year old chassis (ok 7-8 year old chassis) (and engines) that everybody is using... so I guess they've equalized the sport to the point where they think they have to micromanage the racing ...because nobody has the HP to make a serious racing move on the track.
    That's a lot of it, right there. When you have "spec" cars (and I use that term loosely. Some are more "spec" than others...Just as some Hondas are more "spec" than others...) and more or less equal drivers, you will run into a lot of micromanagement. It has killed more than a few junior series over the years. Can it kill Indycar? I don't know, but it doesn't help anything. I am also seriously wondering if part of the Dario problem isn't the Chipster...

I can't believe Rahal let himself get punked on the track by both Target cars and then later got punked by Dario after the race. Man up kid.

He let Dixon push him wide on that pass at the end of race and which allowed Hunter-Ray to stick his nose underneath. No reason for Dixon to do that and no reason for Rahal to let it happen. Podium finish to 13th place. Terrible.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

I've loving this. Now only do we have a hero (Power) vs villain (Francrybaby) dynamic building in the title chase, we've got drivers going after each other and showing some character. Will and Michael Andretti were SPOT-ON in their comments during the race on Sunday, and then Will took it out onto Twitter.

As for Graham, I have a feeling that he's going to let his driving do his talking. Francrybaby doesn't win at Milwaukee if not for Graham cutting down on Will on the last restart. If the Target boys are going to treat him as the red-headed stepchild, then Graham should focus on kicking their rears on the track!

And yes, I think part of Francrybaby's problem is being around the Chipster. Someone needs to remind him how he couldn't cut it in NASCAR.....

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Do not be surprised if the next go around young Graham hasn't learned his lesson and doesn't give them a damn thing. I don't think he'll go out of his way to crash them, but I don't think he'll lift a finger to help either.

What does Robin say? "Hate is good".

37. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

If I'm Graham, I counting the days until my Ganassi deal ends and he can talk to Penske. As much as I despise the Captain, Graham would be a huge asset to his stable, especially as Briscoe has been inconsistent and Helio.... well Helio is slumping pretty bad this year. He gets an American driver in his stable and I could see the sponsors following.

If he REALLY want to put the screws to Francrybaby and Dixie (who was even rougher on Graham in the part of the presser that Indycar has taken offline), how better than to kick them and Ganassi in the guts and go over to the Captain's stable next year?

And absolutely, hate is good for racing. I hate to admit it, but look at the end of the 79 Daytona 500 and what it ultimately did for NASCAR. I'm surprised that they didn't have the drivers doing the media rounds yesterday. Heck, I'd have kept the presser with Dixie calling Graham a D-Head up on the site! Imagine if Will had met Francrybaby in Victory Lane!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 07-12-2011 at 09:32 PM.