Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Bball's 2011 Indy500 pics and comments

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bball's 2011 Indy500 pics and comments

Man, I bet Wheldon would have had a great season with Andretti in 2012. He certainly would have had a great chance to win a third Indy. Such a shame.

Words really can't describe how big of a loss this is for the sport.

I get so sad when I see the footage of him celebrating with his kid after winning the 500 in May.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Still can't believe Dan is gone this morning

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still can't believe Dan is gone this morning

Man, I know. I've barely been able focus on anything since it happened. I can't stop thinking about it.

RIP Champ.

It really feels like we've lost one of our own.

Hard to believe this thread started with talking about Wheldon's incredible and thrilling 2011 Indy 500 win and is now talking about his untimely death.

Wheldon was a popular Indy 500 champ and driver. He built on that with his work on Vs this summer when he truly showed he was a fan of the sport and someone who got it. We were all happy for him that he was getting a full time ride at Andretti with the GoDaddy sponsorship. He was poised to be out front and center of the series with his talent and charisma and that type of sponsorship package as well as being part of the Andretti Autosport team. And he would have been there by working his way to that position, not by hype.

Then there's his young family that he always seemed to care so much about.

It all seems unfair.

On Sunday morning it seemed he was on top of the world. And then a few hours later, he was gone.

Lost in all the talk about the good things that were happening in his life up until Sunday afternoon, let's not forget the news we learned during May that his mother was diagnosed with Ahlzheimers. That just adds another tragic layer to this story.

Dan Wheldon will certainly be missed by many people and I suspect there will be a moment of reflection as Indy ticket holders open that blue envelope next year and see Dan Wheldon's image on their Indy 500 tickets.

RIP Dan Wheldon
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I was just looking at the still frames of the accidents. The ones where Dan's car is just getting launched in the air are the most powerful to me. I wonder what he was thinking, I just hope his last thoughts were happy.

They are just so surreal, to go from being completely in control to being so helpless in a split second.

I don't know why this is affecting me so much, but it has really left me shaken.

I also feel cheated that we only got to see him in 3 races this year. How did the top teams ever let him go without a full time ride? What a total failure on their part. We got cheated not getting to see his talent week in and week out, but his fellow drivers probably couldn't have asked for a better test driver for the new cars. Perhaps that was just the role Dan was intended to play. Perhaps that his selfish, but I wish we could have gotten a full final season of Dan's talent.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-17-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Just out of curiosity, how many people need to die at these ovals before IRL realizes they just aren't made for open wheel cars? I mean even IMS is not really a typical high speed oval, it has a lot of road course characteristics.

Just out of curiosity, how many people need to die at these ovals before IRL realizes they just aren't made for open wheel cars? I mean even IMS is not really a typical high speed oval, it has a lot of road course characteristics.
    I plan on starting a thread about topics like the above later tonight or tomorrow... Just figured this thread and timing wasn't right yet.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I mean Formula 1 NEVER races on ovals. Shouldn't that be a sign? I know it's not necessarily the best place for this, but it is bothering. Injuries can happen and death can happen on road courses, I just feel like when we run at these high speed, high banked ovals, it is just asking for disaster to strike. You have Greg Moore in 99 as another example. Plus Davey Hamiltn's near miss at Texas.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, we all know of course that there is inherent risk in this sport. We've even had threads and posts touch on it. It sure doesnt make it any easier to deal with when the risk becomes reality though.

I want to see the other threads Bball starts because I have a question for him and Sandman that while it is relevant, isn't entirely appropriate for this thread.

Mood

I am not going to say cut out the ovals. We already know the 2012 IndyCar will have two different versions, both for road/street and ovals.

However, high-speed "NASCAR" ovals like Vegas should be cut. No need to get rid of the rest. Iowa, Texas and Kentucky are all great venues that you see very high speeds at but are also very wide with similar or less banking. Vegas is too narrow.

I believe that there were too many cars starting yesterday to begin with, and this was known by Randy Bernard. The man only knows how to promote and not look at the pros and cons apparently.

Ridding the series of ovals is a bad idea.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like to see what the new cars bring to the table safety-wise (and if possible, the chassis named after Dan) before I lay down final judgement on going back to Vegas.

If they can figure out a way to make the new cars less likely to get airborne (which this generation Dallara has had a disturbing amount of incidents), I'd be more comfortable in going back.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

It is a function of the track (banking) and the package (car). There is a reason that Indycars never used to run on highly banked tracks and this is a terrible reminder of why.

I mean Formula 1 NEVER races on ovals. Shouldn't that be a sign? I know it's not necessarily the best place for this, but it is bothering. Injuries can happen and death can happen on road courses, I just feel like when we run at these high speed, high banked ovals, it is just asking for disaster to strike. You have Greg Moore in 99 as another example. Plus Davey Hamiltn's near miss at Texas.
    It is primarily a function of culture. The European road racing (literally) culture versus the oval track fairgrounds (horsetracks) circuits that prevailed here.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I am not going to say cut out the ovals. We already know the 2012 IndyCar will have two different versions, both for road/street and ovals.

However, high-speed "NASCAR" ovals like Vegas should be cut. No need to get rid of the rest. Iowa, Texas and Kentucky are all great venues that you see very high speeds at but are also very wide with similar or less banking. Vegas is too narrow.

I believe that there were too many cars starting yesterday to begin with, and this was known by Randy Bernard. The man only knows how to promote and not look at the pros and cons apparently.

Ridding the series of ovals is a bad idea.
    Yes to taking a look at track width, but the real saving grace would be the ability of cars to separate. The necessity of braking rather than matting it for the entire fuel run would be a bonus.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I'd like to see what the new cars bring to the table safety-wise (and if possible, the chassis named after Dan) before I lay down final judgement on going back to Vegas.

If they can figure out a way to make the new cars less likely to get airborne (which this generation Dallara has had a disturbing amount of incidents), I'd be more comfortable in going back.
    Flat bottomed cars getting air underneath. Don't know how to get around that.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I'm not a physics genius, but its my understanding that covering the rear wheels on the new chassis was to help prevent the launching of cars into the air (which from watching the replay, looked to me was how most of the cars with the exception of JR, got airborne yesterday). If that is correct, thats a start. Maybe Indycar needs to look at bringing back the Hanford device for the ovals like Texas to get speeds down a little bit as well.

As much as we've all wanted to see Barnhart gone, perhaps he should redirected out of race control to focus on driver safety, something that with the exception of New Hampshire this year, he's always been big on.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I'm not a physics genius, but its my understanding that covering the rear wheels on the new chassis was to help prevent the launching of cars into the air (which from watching the replay, looked to me was how most of the cars with the exception of JR, got airborne yesterday). If that is correct, thats a start. Maybe Indycar needs to look at bringing back the Hanford device for the ovals like Texas to get speeds down a little bit as well.

As much as we've all wanted to see Barnhart gone, perhaps he should redirected out of race control to focus on driver safety, something that with the exception of New Hampshire this year, he's always been big on.
    That is the idea for the new cars. I am curious as to what the structure is underneath the fairing. The Hanford device did provide additional drag, but the main function is to punch a big hole in the air to make it easier to pass. Carbon fiber brakes could help by shortening the braking distance, but they only work when up to temperature. The only way to get them up to temp on an oval is to use them a couple of times a lap. And...now were back to the original problem. How do we get the cars slowed up. As counter intuitive as it sounds, more HP, less aero. Also think back to the 70s and 80s. How many high banks did they run? Exactly...Flatter tracks, but where are they now?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

But I wasn't around for the 70s and 80s!

Will say that watching the replay today again makes me think more of watching the archive footage of the second lap of Indianapolis 1964 than of Krosnoff's wreck in 1996.

LOL, the point being the tracks then were "flat" (think Pocono) for the most part. The "banked" tracks were for stock cars. I don't think you could find more than a hand full of the flat tracks on the whole stinking planet...

Just FYI IndyStar currently has a picture in their gallery of Wheldon, well I'm just going to go ahead and say it, Wheldon's body being loaded on to the emergency helicopter. I don't know how much longer it will be up, but it is pretty clear from the photo that Dan has already passed by the time this is taking place. His body is covered by a sheet on the stretcher and they are not performing any life sustaining procedures. Likely that he was just transported to the hospital to be pronounced dead to help with paperwork the same way Senna's body was. Sort of can't believe they have this picture up on there.

Speaking Monday from his go-kart facility not far from the Las Vegas Strip, Schmidt acknowledged that Dan Wheldon's death at Las Vegas Motor Speedway had left him shaken - maybe even enough to leave the sport he loves.

"I'd by lying if I said I wasn't - you've got to think about it," Schmidt said. "It's one thing to take the risk yourself and my situation, it's something I was doing since I was 5 years old and I'm still here to watch my kids grow up. It's an amazing parallel between Dan's age and my age when I got hurt and the ages of his kids.

"I just don't know if I can be this tightly associated with something like that in the future."
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...-schmidt-hard/

------

-John Wooden

Speaking Monday from his go-kart facility not far from the Las Vegas Strip, Schmidt acknowledged that Dan Wheldon's death at Las Vegas Motor Speedway had left him shaken - maybe even enough to leave the sport he loves.

"I'd by lying if I said I wasn't - you've got to think about it," Schmidt said. "It's one thing to take the risk yourself and my situation, it's something I was doing since I was 5 years old and I'm still here to watch my kids grow up. It's an amazing parallel between Dan's age and my age when I got hurt and the ages of his kids.

"I just don't know if I can be this tightly associated with something like that in the future."
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...-schmidt-hard/

------

-John Wooden

Good call.

New IndyCar Series chassis will be named in honor of Wheldon
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1bFDxFZAA

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: