Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AP Recap... decent. Need more info! Who saw this game?

Default AP Recap... decent. Need more info! Who saw this game?

Pacers win as clock runs out

MUNCIE, Ind. -- Randy Holcomb tipped in a rebound as the clock expired to lift the Indiana Pacers to an 85-84 win over the Washington Wizards in the preseason opener for both teams tonight.

After Washington's Jared Jeffries tipped in a miss by Michael Ruffin with 9.7 seconds to play, Indiana's Eddie Gill drove the lane and missed a high-arching layup. Holcomb came from the backside to tip it in.

Stephen Jackson was sharp in his Pacers debut with 19 points and seven rebounds at Worthen Arena on the campus of Ball State University.

Jackson, acquired from Atlanta in an off-season trade that sent Al Harrington to the Hawks, scored 10 points in 10 minutes in the first quarter.

He started for Ron Artest, who watched the game after missing two practices while attending his grandmother's funeral.

Jermaine O'Neal also missed the game for Indiana with a sprained left foot.

A slimmed-down Brendan Haywood had 17 points, seven rebounds and four blocks for Washington. Haywood's numbers would have been even more impressive if he hadn't gone 3-for-11 from the free-throw line.

Washington made just 14 of 32 (49 percent) foul shots on the night.

Pacers rookie center David Harrison looked good in his NBA debut, scoring 14 points in 24 minutes. He scored 12 in the fourth quarter, including a nifty three-point play that gave the Pacers a 78-72 lead.

Washington used tough defense from Gerald Fitch to fuel an 8-0 run that put the Wizards ahead 80-78.

Fitch hit a jumper, then got a steal and a layup in the spurt.

Larry Hughes had 13 points and seven rebounds for the Wizards.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: AP Recap... decent. Need more info! Who saw this game?

I was there; and while the 2nd/3rd quarters were pretty sleepy, it got close at the end, and had a great finish.

We couldn't stop them from scoring to go up 1 w/ 9 seconds left. Timeout Pacers. They run a play, shot misses, everyone's scrambling to tip the ball in, and after 4 tries, the 4th ones drops at the LAST possible moment before the buzzer, crowd erupts, including Larry Bird, Pacers win. Great way to end the game.

Oh, and David Harrision looked pretty decent. If he plays like he did tonight consistently, he should be the backup to Jeff.

By the way, why didn't Ron Artest play? It can't be the funeral, because he was there, warming up an hour before the game with the rest of the team. And yet, there he was in dress clothes.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rick said he missed 2 practices last week and they wanted to ease him back into the things.

Sorry, but it smells of cover up to me. If you're back w/ the team, and shooting around before the game, and healthy, why would you not at least play the 1st period of the game. It doesn't make much sense. And since Ron's missed time before for "migraines" I can't help but suspect something's up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but it smells of cover up to me. If you're back w/ the team, and shooting around before the game, and healthy, why would you not at least play the 1st period of the game. It doesn't make much sense. And since Ron's missed time before for "migraines" I can't help but suspect something's up.
    Come on , the man just had a family Death , and your hammering HIM ?????

I wouldn't be if he wanted time away from the team for it. But he was already back, made the bus trip to Muncie, went through his normal pre-game workouts. If you're going to do all of that, why wouldn't you just play?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I wouldn't be if he wanted time away from the team for it. But he was already back, made the bus trip to Muncie, went through his normal pre-game workouts. If you're going to do all of that, why wouldn't you just play?
    Ask Rick , I am just telling you what he said , from what I understand he just got back into town today , most employers give 3-5 days off for funerals.

I won't even Mention how much time JO , Mark Jackson and Tinsely didn't he have a family issue with a death also , sorry that's almost tasteless to assume such a thing.

ed:ed:ed:ed:ed:

Not really. If the issue was needing time to morn, you don't come back to, travel with, and workout with the team, only to not play. You either take time away or you don't. Thus, I say it looks fishy.

Mood

Well from Ricks comments , Rick is the one who made the call not to play Ron , Not Ron.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hicks.

It's the preseason, for Pete's sake.

The man didn't play in the FIRST preseason game after not being with the team for 3 days.

You're reading WAY TOO MUCH into this

Mood

anyways ..SJAX had 19 Pts in 22 mins

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was there, I will try to assemble what I saw.

Hicks is correct, David Harrison really stood out to me as well. He was in there banging, trying to establish position, and on the other end trying not to allow his man position.

I also noticed that he was playing against their starters a bit, when we had 2nd and 3rd stringers in, I saw Arenas, Hughes, Hayes, Jefferies, and Haywood for their 5 a lot.

I also noticed what people are always saying about David Harrison being very emotional on the court.

When he would be running with his man down the court, he was wrestling with them a lot, fighting for position, and I also noticed this on blocking out for free throws as well. He was getting into it quite a bit when playing against that 7'3" Peter John Ramos, from the Puerto Rico Olympic squad.

This is not a bad thing to me, he was under control the whole time, and I was very impressed, he was going all out on both ends of the floor.

I will say this, and I know it's only one game, and preseason no less, but folks, David Harrison is a banger in the post.

He is not this buttery soft, over-emotional, out of shape player that some media and writers have made him out to be.

It will take time, but I can see him being our starting center, no doubt. The skill is there, the effort is there, the size is there, and the desire seems to be there.

Ok, I apologize about the length of that part on Harrison, now for the rest of what I saw at the game.

I know a lot of people have been skeptical about the Stephen Jackson for Al trade, but he stood out to me as well.

He has amazing skill, appears to be a solid defender, his shot looked really good, and he can get to the basket.

I loved having Al on the team, but I think Stephen Jackson might make people less sour about the trade as soon as more people get a chance to see him play for us, he is exciting to watch.

James Jones looked pretty good, but he won't get any PT this year unless there is injuries.

Foster and Croshere looked like their usual selves, hitting the boards hard, Jeff getting scrap buckets, and Austin getting to the line.

Pollard looked only slightly improved, still has stone hands, but looks to defintely be in better physical condition.

He had one nifty spin move in the paint, that got him an easy layup, but he traveled bigger than *****, so it wasn't something I expect to see from him on a rgular basis.

Jamaal looks to be in great shape, and has his quickness back that he had in college. He was getting into the paint no problem, and wasn't making too many mistakes with the ball, but his shot wasn't falling all that well. If he stays healthy, he will have a great season.

Fred Jones had a hell of a game for the time he was in there, it will be hard for the coach to keep him off the floor, we may have to go with a short, quick lineup sometimes.

Reggie was on for the time he was in there, he looked good, but only played like 10 minutes or so.

The rest of the guys fighting for a roster spot; Desmond Farmer hit a couple shots and looked decent, but we won't need another SG.

Rashad Wright didn't play enough for me to base an opinion, neither did John Edwards.

Eddie Gill hustled when he was out there, hit the boards, and defended his man ok, but couldn't score worth a *****, he is definitely 3rd string.

Holcomb got that winning tip at the end, and crashed the boards well for the time he was in there, but he won't get a spot.

Jermaine, Ron, and JB obviously didn't play, but I am very excited about this year from what I saw, as long as we can stay healthy for 82+.

We are as deep as we have ever been, and I really think if Harrison works hard, he will be able to work his way into the lineup sooner than later.

Hicks,
    Maybe the Pacers have a trade for Artest on the table?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

You know, reports are that Peja still believes he won't be in Sac by the trade deadline since he is still saying he won't resign (or activate his player option)after his contract expires next year.

If he sticks by that the Kings would be smart to move him this year as they lose a lot of power in a player's last year of a contract (that is, in a good player's last year.)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Whatever happened to the rule that if you miss a practice, you miss a game? That rule isn't a punishment for an excused absence like a funeral or illness; its a common sense recognition that generally the team is better prepared to play without the player that has been absent than to throw the recently-absent player back into the mix at the last minute. (Especially true for the first exhibition game).

If that's how Rick wants to handle it then (1) more power to him, and (2) that's all it means - "coach's decision" doesn't really require any more explanation than that.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Whatever happened to the rule that if you miss a practice, you miss a game? That rule isn't a punishment for an excused absence like a funeral or illness; its a common sense recognition that generally the team is better prepared to play without the player that has been absent than to throw the recently-absent player back into the mix at the last minute. (Especially true for the first exhibition game).

If that's how Rick wants to handle it then (1) more power to him, and (2) that's all it means - "coach's decision" doesn't really require any more explanation than that.
    Well said Jay

You may have seen this morning that Carlisle said they put in some new offense while Ron was away and they didn't want him to have to learn on the fly during the game.

Yes, I've read more and see that it could just be he wasn't ready to play w/ the system. That's fine. I apparently come across as hounding Ron, but that's not my intent. It just struck me as odd, especially with him, and what I know goes on with him, to see him be back, warming up, and then not play.

But the story about not knowing the system (or I guess the new wrinkles) after missing 2 practices makes sense, and I will buy it.

I don't know that I would say you are hounding Artest, Hicks. But quite frankly, if you are, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm all for Ron and hope he continues to progress, but his history is going to cause people to look at his actions a bit more critically or cynically.

As far as Harrison is concerned, I believe he will be
    a definite contributor off the bench this year. He has
    already shown more than Brezec ever did. I am very
    delighted the Pacers were able to get him in the draft
    at the position they were at. He will be the steal of the draft possibly. That was my pick for the Pacers.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

For the few of you who saw the game: as the offense any different looking. Probably not a good barometer with 3 of their top offensive guys out.

I was thrilled and yet not surprised one bit to hear Mark and Slick say that the Pacers were really getting after it on the defensive end. With Carlisle as coach we should expect nothing else.

With three coahces like O'Neill, Mike Brown and Carlisle, the defense is in good hands.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by burnzone

Fred Jones had a hell of a game for the time he was in there, it will be hard for the coach to keep him off the floor, we may have to go with a short, quick lineup sometimes.
    Yes. I'm looking forward to see if they use these lineups...

Tinsley
    FJones
    SJax
    Artest
    O'Neal

or

FJones
    SJax
    Artest
    Bender
    ONeal

I think both of those lineups would allow the Pacers to play a very fast disruptive style for 4 minute bursts. There are many more combos that surely be used. They could use an entire second unit that could prove to be very effective. The addition of SJax seems to have given the Pacers a little more versatility and flexibility than they had last season. I'm just hoping that they can somehow find a way to give Freddy 20 minutes per game.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I dunno, when I think of RA warming up an hour ahead and then not playing AT ALL...it makes me go HHHHhmmmmmmm????

Not predicting anything but I wonder if at some point in the distant future we might not hear more about this....kinda like the story that got out about the migranes...later, after the fact.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Far be it for *me* to take this side...

I don't think so.

I think they're going to handle Ron very publicly this season. He's either going to 'get it', or it will be clear to Pacers fans why they're trading him.

Besides, I just popped my very last Nexium right before I typed this. I'm not ready for that type of stress right now.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you