Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tressel finally bails out on OSU

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tressel finally bails out on OSU

Meh, all these big name schools are dirty. Some might just differ on how dirty they are and how brazen they are about being dirty.

I have given up on being outraged by academic fraud, money given to students, and so on.

There is to much money in college football and basketball for these schools not to do everything possible to get these big name recruits.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OSU is dirty and as a Notre Dame fan I enjoy seeing them fall, but I think we would all e lying if we did not say the system is broken.

Not sure how to fix it, but the NCAA right now is a joke

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Talked to a guy who played safety at Purdue while Rod Woodson was there...has been a trainer to college athletes since and I knew him while he took care of my grandfather who suffered from dementia.

Asked him if he thought athletes should be paid a fixed amount beyond scholarship, and he says no. They are already compensated plenty he says within the rules of the NCAA, I.E. he says trainers table (or how they fed the athletes) is within the rules and is basically like eating at the best restaurants in town for free for every meal. Plus he said all the help they get within the classroom. Plus the cheating stuff, which he says rampant and that I probably don't even want to know how bad it is in all programs.

He started using some examples from his time at Purdue (free cars, free food, etc.) and said it has only gotten worse. He said athletes don't deserve an extra penny. I asked him if thought paying the players a certain approved amount would make it go away and he says no, he thinks it would just make it worse as people would take it as an invitation to cheat even more.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I was at a D3 school, and even there some shady things happened (though on a much smaller scale. I still remember being in business management 101 and the basketball coach walking by and looking to make sure all his players were in class )

Like I said I really think it is a broken system, and whether they are paid or not is a small part of the problem

I just thought his take was interesting as a D-1 athlete at a pretty major school, which most people consider to be "clean" and by his own admission is not. Everyone always paints these players as innocent victims. They are either cogs in a machine that doesn't pay them back or naive student athletes who are just doing what anyone else would do if you ask the media, but he made it seem (and I agree with him) like they know how to work the system. He said Purdue's trainer's table alone to feed athletes is probably worth another scholarship to each player each year.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.

I used to hang out with many athletes at Ball State, whether it was basketball (both men and women), golf, volleyball, baseball, whatever.

None of them are hurting.

One friend on the golf team used to get a check every semester. He was eligible for financial aid, and he already had half a schollie for golf, so between the two he got like 130% of his schooling paid for. Instead of the financial aid just stopping at 100%, they just cut him a check for the unused money. It was his, just like his mom deposited in his bank account.

Not only that, but free golf shoes, golf balls, bags, daily stipend when they went on their trips (they were given cash so if they didn't use it, it was theirs)

Scholarships aren't just for tuition. They cover housing expenses and they get meal cards etc.

So you can get your schooling and rent paid in full. If you're from a low income family, with good enough grades, you're eligible for financial aid. You'd get the same deal as the golfer.

Plus, you can always take out a student loan.

Scholarship athletes are not hurting, not one bit. If they want to ***** and moan about how poor they are, then how about they drop their sport and spend a semester like the rest of us. You know, actually paying tuition/rent/food costs either through working or student loans or both.

I'll tell that to every freaking one of them whenever they complain about being broke. They have no concept of what it's really like. Tuition is the biggest cost of school. I paid more in tuition for a semester than I did rent for the full year. And Ball State has the cheapest tuition in all of the MAC.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

I really hate it when people reference how 'everome is doing ot' or 'every school is dirty'. What other schools are doing is not relevant to the situation at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    edit: guy on the radio just had a good take, saying that Pryor is just over it, and doing this on purpose to say "peace out"
    yup, radio guy called it...
    also per ESPN, Pryor got $40 K to sign for a memolibiria (how the hell do you spell that) dealer...I guess that's a bit skeezy, but not as scummy as the dealer who then probably marked up the autographs like crazy...(though he better get rid of it all before Pryor busts in the N(/C)FL)

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yup, radio guy called it...
    also per ESPN, Pryor got $40 K to sign for a memolibiria (how the hell do you spell that) dealer...I guess that's a bit skeezy, but not as scummy as the dealer who then probably marked up the autographs like crazy...(though he better get rid of it all before Pryor busts in the N(/C)FL)
    memorabilia

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

It really shows you how dumb these guys are. Pryor could have made a couple million even if he just played 1 or 2 seasons in the NFL and then invested it correctly.

Saw this on ESPN today, there have only been 17 schools that have never had any major NCAA violations. Only 4 of them play in major conferences. Three of them (Boston College, Northwestern, and Stanford) are private and have an advantage as they don't have to comply with the Freedom of Information Act. The lone public school? Penn State. Only one thing can explain this and thats Joe Paterno. Success with honor is a serious motto for all of Penn State and I'm proud to see this report.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...lusive-company

Thanks a lot Greenspan and Cell Phone.......
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Well, its official: OSU did not play football last year:

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1238412
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca