Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 68 of 68

Thread: Expect Moves In The Draft

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    I still don't understand why people keep saying that Sarunas was a bust in the NBA, the guy was in the All Star rookie game with Danny and his numbers were OK for the playing time he was getting.

    Let's also don't forget that he got to share the same locker room with divas like JO, AJ and Tinsley, I feel sorry for the guy for making the decision to come here at that time.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to Sham, $9m out of Rip's final year $12.5m is guaranteed, which I think xIndyFan also referred to in his post. So no, it's not a lot of savings to waive Rip on his last year.
    From what I can find outside of Shamsports its a partial guarantee the last year. I would be still ok with Rip if it meant one more year. Essentially we could trade him to another team as an expiring that last year or maybe for another first round draft pick.

  3. #53

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't understand why people keep saying that Sarunas was a bust in the NBA, the guy was in the All Star rookie game with Danny and his numbers were OK for the playing time he was getting.

    Let's also don't forget that he got to share the same locker room with divas like JO, AJ and Tinsley, I feel sorry for the guy for making the decision to come here at that time.
    I think most people so a point guard who had trouble bringing the ball up the court. At 4 mill I would say he was a bust overall.

  4. #54
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if its been posted but Valanciunas buyout is going to be raised to 3 million dollars. I would expect him dropping out of the top 5 in that happened. I wonder if he would actually drop to 15?
    3 mil actually seems like good news for his draft stock.
    He would still have plenty left if he gets a top 5 pick. For a guy who makes ~100k a year, NBA would still mean a massive raise.
    On the other hand, 3 mil is probably more than a Euro giant would want to pay for him (as Barca did for Rubio).

    If he's drafted high, and there's no lockout, I see him in the NBA next year. 3 mil is ok.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  6. #55
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,670

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to Sham, $9m out of Rip's final year $12.5m is guaranteed, which I think xIndyFan also referred to in his post. So no, it's not a lot of savings to waive Rip on his last year.

    Edit: I just saw that your earliest post had the same info. What are you asking then? Seems straightforward and Sham is pretty accurate.
    Basically what you said.....even if his contract isn't guaranteed and he is gone......$9 mil will count towards the Salary Cap.

    My hope was that the bulk of his contract would come off the books in 2012-2013....then the Pacers could make a solid run at Eric Gordon ( despite being a RFA ). I was hoping that Rip would be a solid "Stop Gap" solution for the Pacers in the Starting SG spot for a season that could continue the Teams hopes of being a "perennial 1st Playoff round" Team.

    I probably wouldn't do a Rip+#8 for TPE+#15...but I would probably be on the fence if it was purely Rip+#8 for TPE. Unlike many here, I think that Rip is still a solid contributor and would be a very good Veteran SG that has Leadership skills that this Team lacks.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  7. #56
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Well Sarunas himself would probably say that his stay here was a bust. He obviously didn't come here to be a 2nd/3rd point guard on a disaster of a team.

    Obviously, the "busting" was not entirely on him. The option for him was - as far as i can remember - to either go to Cleveland and play with LeBron who "brings the ball up" and his best friend Big Z, and just shoot/pass. Or go to Indiana, play for his childhood hero Bird and compete for a title. Obviously, Indiana was a dissappointment for him, and he for Indiana considering the hype and credentials.

  8. #57

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 mil actually seems like good news for his draft stock.
    He would still have plenty left if he gets a top 5 pick. For a guy who makes ~100k a year, NBA would still mean a massive raise.
    On the other hand, 3 mil is probably more than a Euro giant would want to pay for him (as Barca did for Rubio).

    If he's drafted high, and there's no lockout, I see him in the NBA next year. 3 mil is ok.
    Sorry it said to "atleast 3 million", so it still could be considerably more but your point is well taken.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  10. #58
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    FWIW, DX is saying that the reported Valanciunas buyout is premature. No agreement yet.

  11. #59

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . Although KStat would have to offer his opinion, I feel that all of what went down last season and with Rip, Kuester and the Pistons FO was built up over time and that Rip simply needs a "Change in scenary". . .But I go back to his contract situation in 2012-2013...if the bulk of his $12.5 mil unguaranteed contract comes off the books in the 2012-2013 season....then I would definitely take him on as a "Stop-gap" Starting SG option for 1 season....then make a run at EJ or some other SG in the 2012-2013 offseason.
    i don't know for sure, but looking at the way things are described, the $9M buy out number is a 2012-13 number. it would count on the cap that year.

    i still don't see why the pacers would want rip, the #8 pick will not give them a starter type, much less a star. pacers don't need a starting SG, they need a PF. plus rip is not a creator type. he is a reggie, run off the pick type.

    i will bow to kstat's expertise here on rip's character and what he has left. but i would be unhappy if the big aquisition the pacers got was a SG that the team wanted to buy out sooner or later. seems too big a waste of cap space.

  12. #60

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . Nonetheless, a brilliant move for some teams, like Cleveland.
    I'd even say it'd be brilliant for Detroit themselves to take on another Hamilton and get another lotto pick.
    off topic from this post.

    do you know anything about Joffrey Lauvergne as a player. draft express doesn't have anything other than he is a big. i know he is from france not the baltics, but france is much closer to you than to me.

    most of what i know about france is from watching the tour de france.

    thanx

  13. #61

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't know for sure, but looking at the way things are described, the $9M buy out number is a 2012-13 number. it would count on the cap that year.

    i still don't see why the pacers would want rip, the #8 pick will not give them a starter type, much less a star. pacers don't need a starting SG, they need a PF. plus rip is not a creator type. he is a reggie, run off the pick type.

    i will bow to kstat's expertise here on rip's character and what he has left. but i would be unhappy if the big aquisition the pacers got was a SG that the team wanted to buy out sooner or later. seems too big a waste of cap space.
    I think he would be very tradeable that final year and I would have to argue that the number 8th spot wouldn't net a starter type. In fact if you wanted a creator then I would draft Alec Burks and have him play backup pg minutes and demote AJ to the third pg position. After rips gone then you have a solid core of DC, Burks, PG, Hibbert and Granger.

  14. #62
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    off topic from this post.

    do you know anything about Joffrey Lauvergne as a player. draft express doesn't have anything other than he is a big. i know he is from france not the baltics, but france is much closer to you than to me.

    most of what i know about france is from watching the tour de france.

    thanx
    No, I don't know anything about him. Small French team, and even the big French teams don't get a lot of exposure outside of France.

  15. #63
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,670

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't know for sure, but looking at the way things are described, the $9M buy out number is a 2012-13 number. it would count on the cap that year.

    i still don't see why the pacers would want rip, the #8 pick will not give them a starter type, much less a star. pacers don't need a starting SG, they need a PF. plus rip is not a creator type. he is a reggie, run off the pick type.

    i will bow to kstat's expertise here on rip's character and what he has left. but i would be unhappy if the big aquisition the pacers got was a SG that the team wanted to buy out sooner or later. seems too big a waste of cap space.
    IMHO...we can agree to disagree......I think that PG is not quite ready to impact the Offense the way that we need a Starting SG to impact the Team ( at least not for another season or two )....that's why I think that we still need a Starting Quality SG IF we want to make that leap forward. We definitely need a Starting PF....but having a Veteran Starting SG will get us to the next level if you ask me.

    BTW.....have a Reggie-Like SG that can pinball around the opposing Team's defense isn't a bad thing.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  17. #64

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Eh, I really see PG getting about 15 ppg this year. I think he's the type of player to take large jumps in the off season because he works so hard.

    So I'd rather not take on Rip.

  18. #65
    @TRouse32 thatch3232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anderson, IN/Marion, IN
    Posts
    270

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh, I really see PG getting about 15 ppg this year. I think he's the type of player to take large jumps in the off season because he works so hard.

    So I'd rather not take on Rip.
    I see him at about 12, but with games where he has 30 and games where he has 8. I want to trade Granger for a shooting guard and let PG get to his natural position at the 3

  19. #66
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously, the "busting" was not entirely on him.
    Absolutely it was. He was horrific, and not just for the Pacers.

    The only success he ever enjoyed at the NBA level was under Carlisle as an off-guard, which he complained about.

    And it wasn't like his shooting and passing were much to write home about. He struggled with the NBA three, and had difficulty creating enough space to give quality passes.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #67
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely it was. He was horrific, and not just for the Pacers.

    The only success he ever enjoyed at the NBA level was under Carlisle as an off-guard, which he complained about.

    And it wasn't like his shooting and passing were much to write home about. He struggled with the NBA three, and had difficulty creating enough space to give quality passes.
    What I meant is, that was a terrible fit for another huge personality and for his game. Even if he played better, I doubt it would've worked out long term. On the other hand, it was a poor scouting job by Bird as well. Jasikevicius could never play without a second ball handler. Neither in Israel, nor for Lithuania in international tournaments. Bird had to see that coming during those numerous scouting trips. Bird should've never brought him over; if he goes to Cleveland, at least there's a plausible fit.

    As for "not only for the Pacers", Nelson said he'd be the 3rd point guard in GSW before he came there, if I recall. Not that you can blame him - slow point guard who can't beat you off the dribble is a terrible fit Nellie's fastball. So I don't think that's a valid point.
    Last edited by ballism; 05-31-2011 at 07:12 PM.

  21. #68
    Junior Member Freezz France's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Somewhere lost in France
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Expect Moves In The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I don't know anything about him. Small French team, and even the big French teams don't get a lot of exposure outside of France.

    Hey, I'm french and Supporter of the team where Lauvergne is coming from! maybe I can try to describe is way to play to you! I'm hardly finding anything about his workout!

Similar Threads

  1. Ranking draft prospects by tiers, by Chad Ford
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 05:39 PM
  2. PD NBA Draft - Selection #3 - Minnesota
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 04:09 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 2
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
  4. The PD NBA Draft - Selection #2 - Miami
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM
  5. Insider Special 1st Mock draft.
    By Ragnar in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 12:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •