Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Danny Granger overrated?

Banned

Default Is Danny Granger overrated?

At the risk of alienating myself from members of this board, which I have come to really enjoy lurking on for some time and now that my Colts have once again shattered my hopes and dreams, I plan on contributing much more, but I feel like this is a question that needs to be asked.

There is no question that right now Danny is the best player on the team, it remains to be seen whether that will continue to be the case with the hopefully imminent return of Mike Dunleavy, but it just seems to me like there are too many people here who think that he is a great NBA player because he has been scoring consistently this season. In my opinion, Danny is not a great player. He's good, but no where near the level that some posters here seem to believe.

What does he do really well? He's a fantastic spot up shooter. He's a decent shooter off of one dribble. He's shown the ability to block shots from the help side. Beyond that? I don't see it. He's an extremely sub-par ball handler, a worse passer, but more than anything, what really bothers me is he doesn't seem all that tough. Now, I'm sure I will be lambasted for that comment, and maybe it's just. People will point to the Celtics' game and the broken teeth issue and what not. But does that really make him tough? Sure he plays hard, its great seeing the best player on your team diving on the floor for loose balls late in a blowout game, but to me that was one instance. More an anomaly then the rule. At Memphis, he leaves the game with what is called a concussion and doesn't return. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that a "concussion" that mild is nothing more then a headache. If he was tough, would he have ever left the floor at all? Against the Knicks he takes a knock and acts like someone shot him in the leg. Now, credit should be given where credit is due, and he finished the game, shot the free throws and hung in there. But, Danny is our best player!! He's our leader. He needs to lead by example. Suck it up, don't show weakness. Lead the team.

Perhaps I'm being overly critical, as I'm sure I will be told numerous times, but we are at a point in the season where we can't afford to be so soft. We need to get tougher!! It is a good thing we were able to close out the games in New York and against the Kings because if we hadn't I fear we may have gone 0-for January. Our schedule this month is brutal. We have 15 more games to go in January, if we win 4 or 5 of those I will be pleasantly surprised. Obviously getting Mike back will help, but unless we show more toughness then we did the first 2 months, it isn't going to make enough of a difference.

In my personal opinion, that toughness needs to improve immensely, and it starts with Danny Granger.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is Danny Granger overrated?

I can't wait to see the responses here.

Edit: Decided to put my .02 in

All 3 of those “weaknesses” you referenced make no sense whatsoever. Sure, he’s not Tinsley with the ball in his hands, but he’s a SF. He doesn’t need to be a superb ball-handler to be great at his position. As it is, he’s good enough with the ball that he is able to penetrate and get to the line better than 90% of other players in the NBA.

Your comment about his passing is even more far-fetched and makes me wonder if you’ve been watching ANY games this year. Outside of the first month of the season, Danny has been averaging over 4 assists per game. That’s an above average number for SF’s in the league. If that is his biggest weakness, then there is no doubt that he is a special player.

A lack of toughness? Really? What about the Boston game DOES NOT prove that he’s a tough player? What are the odds that you would get your teeth busted out and return to the court just a few minutes later? What are the odds that you would do that even with the game in hand? That’s what I thought. A concussion is a completely different matter. You don’t play around with head injuries. Just because a guy goes out of a game for a concussion does not mean he isn’t “tough”. Playing with a concussion can have much more severe consequences than playing through pain most of the time. Obviously, your comment about a concussion being like a headache just shows that you have no idea what a concussion actually is and feels like.

I could go on and keep breaking down some of your ridiculous claims but I think it's already pretty obvious to everyone how far-fetched some of them are.
    Last edited by Coop; 01-05-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Danny actually has been trying to improve his passing of late, and his handles aren't great ubt I haven't seen him lose the ball that much. He's actually pretty tough, and I don't think you know the severity of a concussion. I don't think I saw the hit in new york, so I can't really comment on that. Bottom line, I think Danny is finally showing he can be a franchise player, the way he has played this season.

No.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about I call Bob Sanders soft. He gets injured all the time and leaves his team out to dry because the defense sucks without him.

Or

Bob Sanders plays so hard and tough all the time that his injuries are warranted with the way he plays.

And a concussion is not something to dismiss. I have had three from playing over the years. I didn't know my name for an hour after the one. And another one I threw the ball into the bleachers thinking that third base was actually first base. I know I shouldn't have been playing immediately after a concussion. The next day you are fine, but the immediate affects from a blow to the head can be severe and its always best to take the utmost precaution with head injuries. It isn't about tough with that... its about not being stupid.

Mood

YES, and IMHO, wildly
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Danny Granger is a very good player. Right now. He still has a chance of being a great player by next year.

Right now I see a guy who is a pretty good shooter from 3 and from mid range, who can shoot off the dribble in traffic, who can drive and get fouled, who hits almost 90% of his free throws, and now a days can also find people for a few assists a game. He can also rebound well and block shots and grab a steal a game. His FG%s are solid. He's a good (not great) defender (who can have lapses). He's doing all of this and averaging 25ppg with the opponent's defense trained almost completely on him every night because Dunleavy isn't playing. That's a very good player.

If he can continue to develop his handles in the summer time, he could become a great player if he rises above mediocrity in that area.

I would say he's neither over or underrated at this point.

Danny is not overrated at all. My only knock on him is this: He might not be a great teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny Granger is a very good player. Right now. He still has a chance of being a great player by next year.

Right now I see a guy who is a pretty good shooter from 3 and from mid range, who can shoot off the dribble in traffic, who can drive and get fouled, who hits almost 90% of his free throws, and now a days can also find people for a few assists a game. He can also rebound well and block shots and grab a steal a game. His FG%s are solid. He's a good (not great) defender (who can have lapses). That's a very good player.

If he can continue to develop his handles in the summer time, he could become a great player if he rises above mediocrity in that area.

I would say he's neither over or underrated at this point.
    Pretty comprehensive and unbiased summation of his game right there...

However, I do think he's overrated by the masses who don't really see him play on a regular basis as they assume he's excellent defensively. The truth is that while he's certainly competent on that end, he hasn't proven to be a game-changer on D and has some pretty evident lapses that cost his team crucial points. Granger is a pretty good defender but relative to the other swingmen defenders he's nothing special... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    YES, and IMHO, wildly
    How? Curious as to what a fan of another team thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Danny is not overrated at all. My only knock on him is this: He might not be a great teammate.
    What makes you believe that?

My only knock on him is this: He might not be a great teammate.
    Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    How? Curious as to what a fan of another team thinks.
    I really wish you wouldn't have done that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I really wish you wouldn't have done that.....
    Did I miss something? He's a Wiz fan right?

Yes, and everytime the Pacers lose a close game he's in the post game thread talking about how "unclutch" he is and saying how Danny couldn't carry Caron's jockstrap etc.

Basically saying he dislikes Danny because of the treatment he gets on this board. Who has the audacity to praise a Pacer player, on a Pacer's fan site? Seriously, people.

I know i wont win many friends here, but i see Granger as a really good 3rd option or a decent 2nd option on a true contender, his game has too many holes in it atm to think he will be a superstar someday, he is lucky to be on a team lacking scoring so badly that he is the main man imo.

Ah, I got ya. I guess I've never paid close enough attention to notice it.

Well first, I don't know how highly he's actually rated. he is the leading scorer and best player on a team that is 12-21 - so I doubt he's actually rated all that highly. I will say his scoring figures are a bit inflated - he's not the 4th or 5th best scorer in the NBA. Pacers style of play and Pacers lack of a second scorer have inflated Danny's numbers.

He's a pretty good player though. Never would have thought he could score like this

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Basically saying he dislikes Danny because of the treatment he gets on this board. Who has the audacity to praise a Pacer player, on a Pacer's fan site? Seriously, people.

But that would require a person to actually use logic/common sense. Those qualities aren't displayed in the scenario you're referring to.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.

NO

No, he's not overrated. I think most people in the NBA have a healthy respect for what Danny is capable of, but they also have a good understanding of his deficiencies.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Around the league absolutely not. Around PacersDigest he absolutely is.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I've only heard one poster on here moan that he's overrated. Most in the national media give Granger props for his scoring, but it's not like anyone is comparing him to Lebron or Kobe.

I get that same sentiment from everyone here at PD. Most understand what Danny is: someone who is a helluva scorer on a bad team.

If we're overly excited about him, sue us. After all the crap we've gone through over the past 4 years it's wonderful to have an exciting player like Danny who appears to have his head screwed on right.

Mood

I think he is underrated. That is because the team he is playing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Danny gets frustrated with his fellow teammates easily. I know it is not his job to be Mr. Rah Rah or a team prankster, but I do not know if other Pacer's players like playing with him.

Danny gets frustrated with his fellow teammates easily. I know it is not his job to be Mr. Rah Rah or a team prankster, but I do not know if other Pacer's players like playing with him.
    I'd be frustrated too if I played at the level Danny's played at all season while losing most of the games.