Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5/27/11: Scottie Pippen on "Mike and Mike in the Morning"

Default 5/27/11: Scottie Pippen on "Mike and Mike in the Morning"

This just aired live on ESPN. Scottie said:

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Pippen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ‎"I've never seen a player that can dominate a game like LeBron James can. He don't always have to score... Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game. But I may go as far as to say LeBron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game, because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will but he keeps everybody involved."

You have to be on your P's and Q's on defense. No guy on the basketball court is not a threat to score with LeBron James out there. Not only will LeBron dominate from the offensive end as well, but he's also doing it on the defensive end, which really makes him the complete package. He's able to get in those passing lanes, shoot those gaps and create transition opportunities where he is pretty much unstoppable."
    Link: ESPN

Thoughts?

By the way he's on ESPN all day so he might be saying similar stuff on some other shows.
    Last edited by quinnthology; 05-27-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added source

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 5/27/11: Scottie Pippen on "Mike and Mike in the Morning"

I hated Jordan but he was better. Lebron is about the closest thing I've seen but you can't dismiss Kobe either.

It's obvious that Lebron is the best player in the game right now. We can worry about his place in history when his career is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I said a few years ago that Lebron is a combination of Magic and Jordan. he has Jordan's athletic ability, but he has Magic's passing ability.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

LeBron is more talented, I don't think most would disagree with that. The more he utilizes it, the more Scottie is correct.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I said a few years ago that Lebron is a combination of Magic and Jordan. he has Jordan's athletic ability, but he has Magic's passing ability.
    With Karl Malones size. Lebron may be the most amazing combinations of size, strength, speed, agility, athleticism, skill, coordination... in any sport, at any time, ever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    With Karl Malones size. Lebron may be the most amazing combinations of size, strength, speed, agility, athleticism, skill, coordination... in any sport, at any time, ever.
    Usain Bolt could be in the same argument.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now that he has a mid-range game I do consider him up there with Jordan/Kobe. If he continues to succeed I would also say he is a better player. But right now it is still Jordan, with Kobe right behind him.

Could you imagine a Michael Jordan in the no-hand check era though?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    Usain Bolt could be in the same argument.
    I don't know about his coordination, if you include eye/hand, quickness laterally. Also, as far as size, I'm not sure his height/strength compared to Lebron, but I bet its not close.

Bolt is certainly amazing though.

If Lebron can be as clutch as MJ was and continue to win with consistency, I'd give him the nod. Until then, MJ still has it on him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just don't think Lebron is close to MJ.

Similar in the way he can dominate, but I don't see Jordan melting down in back-to-back ECF like Lebron did. MJ got the job done when it mattered, and Lebron was unable to do that until this season, and the addition of D-Wade in the backcourt really minimizes how much that impresses me.

I hated Jordan, but I don't think we can seriously compare the two based on the fact that Lebron was simply unable to be "the guy" and get a championship. And that awful 6/24 performance in an elimination game against a hated rival is tough to forget.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Most talented player? Probably. Greatest? Not yet...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Scottie is so inarticulate that he just has to throw stuff like this at the wall to see what sticks. I hate listening to him analyze the current players because I feel like he only has a really basic understanding of who the guys are and what they're good at.

Banned

Ask me back when he wins his 6th title.

Banned

The 1st and 10th show today has been a classic

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Ask me back when he wins his 6th title.
    See my post in the NBA Finals: Mavs vs Heat thread for a response to that.

And spreedom, those are pretty big words. I'd have to disagree that one of the greatest basketball players ever only has a "basic understanding" of what other basketball players are good at, whatever era it is. Especially considering he's still around the game constantly. I agree some ex-players are unreliable at in-depth analysis, but a straight statement concerning Michael, his teammate whose skills he saw hours a day for a decade, and LeBron, who I'm guessing he has seen play on TV and in person more than most people on this forum, has a lot of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I just don't think Lebron is close to MJ.

Similar in the way he can dominate, but I don't see Jordan melting down in back-to-back ECF like Lebron did. MJ got the job done when it mattered, and Lebron was unable to do that until this season, and the addition of D-Wade in the backcourt really minimizes how much that impresses me.
    Until he finally won a title at age 28, there were plenty of instances when Jordan melted down and/or couldn't get the job done. Lebron is about to win one at 26 and probably would have won a couple already if the Cavs were a halfway competent franchise.

People tend to forget about it now, but there was a time when many thought that Jordan would NEVER win an NBA title. That he selfish and wasn't enough of a team player. That he was never going to get past the Pistons or Celts.

Of course things started working his way. They hired Phil Jackson and Horace Grant and Pippen stepped up their games. Jordan got help. Then the Celtics and Pistons (and also the Lakers I might add) got old and their windows closed. Jordan and the Bulls emerged from an Eastern conference that became older and weaker and they subsequently dominated.

MJ was great, but don't mistake him for a guy who walked on water. He didn't. He routinely got beat by better teams and then started winning rings when 1) he finally got help and 2) those teams that routinely beat him got old.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

So he pretty much changed from being Jordan's ***** to LeBron's

Hilarious

As for Kobe no surprise he's been discredited most of his career that won't change

Quote Originally Posted by quinnthology View Post
    See my post in the NBA Finals: Mavs vs Heat thread for a response to that.

And spreedom, those are pretty big words. I'd have to disagree that one of the greatest basketball players ever only has a "basic understanding" of what other basketball players are good at, whatever era it is. Especially considering he's still around the game constantly. I agree some ex-players are unreliable at in-depth analysis, but a straight statement concerning Michael, his teammate whose skills he saw hours a day for a decade, and LeBron, who I'm guessing he has seen play on TV and in person more than most people on this forum, has a lot of weight.

And Phil who has coached Jordan and Kobe say they're closer... its all a matter of opinion at the end of the day.

Mood

Yeah potential to be but he is a long way away though... he has so much more to accomplish in my eyes like someone said greatest talent wise yeah, but greatest Player we will have to weight and see....

Also it is hard to compare talent for a big and a SF sometimes... I will say that talent wise Dwight Howard is one of a kind for a big, I doubt we will see another with his size, athletcism and skill on offense and defense...

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    LeBron is more talented, I don't think most would disagree with that. The more he utilizes it, the more Scottie is correct.
    I agree
    But one big thing that nees consideration is MJ dominated in an area where they allowed hand checking on the perimiter, and the defence was allowed to get away with much much more

MJ said in todays game he would average 50 points a game

Still for Pipper to say what he said holds a lot of weight

but hey what do I know, I still think Oscar Robertson was the best player to ever play the game

Call me when someone averages a tripple double for an entire season
    Sittin on top of the world!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's 2 aspects to a player's game:

1) Physical. You can rate a player on his physical assets and athletic ability. Until a few years ago, I could say with confidence that Jordan was the most physically athletic player in history. I can now say with confidence that he's been replaced by LeBron, physically. LeBron's physical athleticism is unprecedented in sports. You could easily see LeBron shift over to any other sport and still be a force, even a dominator.

2) Mental. This is where Jordan still has LeBron beat. Just watch Jordan. He may be 2nd to LeBron in athleticism, but the way he moved, the way he used momentum, angles, shifts to his advantage is just unmatched. He knew how to move in a way that he could beat 5 guys at once. He also had a KILLER instinct. The greatest ever.

And then there's just achievements. Jordan won 6 rings. LeBron has a long ways to go. But... Jordan, like someone else said, did not walk on water until he as 28 years old. It took him a good 6 years to get to the point that he did, and he had a ton of failures and shortcomings leading up until that, which is what most people forget. Jordan continually improved, which is how he became the greatest ever.

LeBron does that too. He's continually improved. This year he's playing some God-like basketball. We're witnessing something really special. Whether you like him or not, he's attained a very special level of play. It's going to be interesting to see what happens going forward.

So is LeBron the greatest ever? Not yet. But he certainly has a chance to be.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    And Phil who has coached Jordan and Kobe say they're closer... its all a matter of opinion at the end of the day.
    Yeah, but that's kind of predictable. I'm pretty sure D'Antoni said Nash is still the best PG in the league. It seems much more unlikely for a person to "turn on" someone they played with, especially considering they never had a falling out. I take it more seriously than an inevitably biased comment from a teammate or coach.

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah potential to be but he is a long way away though... he has so much more to accomplish in my eyes like someone said greatest talent wise yeah, but greatest Player we will have to weight and see....

Also it is hard to compare talent for a big and a SF sometimes... I will say that talent wise Dwight Howard is one of a kind for a big, I doubt we will see another with his size, athletcism and skill on offense and defense...
    Dwight's athleticism for a big man is a rare thing. He reminds me of David Robinson a lot, but I still think the Admiral was a better overall athlete. I have NEVER seen another big man that can run the floor like Robinson in his prime.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    Dwight's athleticism for a big man is a rare thing. He reminds me of David Robinson a lot, but I still think the Admiral was a better overall athlete. I have NEVER seen another big man that can run the floor like Robinson in his prime.
    Yeah, I can't remember Robinson in his prime, more of his later career stuff, but thanks I will keep that in mind..

How easily you forget. Jordan is the best period. Everybody else is an also ran.