Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Loving Memory

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default In Loving Memory

I lost my best friend Jack today at 5:48 pm to a Hip Displacia. We had to put him down due to being too much pain... He was the best dog anyone could ask for and he will be deeply missed.

Jackdog (2000-2011)

Last edited by Constellations; 05-27-2011 at 03:38 AM.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: In Loving Memory

I am truly sorry. I have 3 beagles, one whose name is also Jack. I consider them a part of family no different than anyone.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry about your loss buddy. Losing a good dog is a tough one.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am very sorry to hear that. There is nothing more special than a good dog. I have a 14 year old golden retriever who obviously doesn't have an abundance of time left and I know I'll be an absolute wreck when she goes. Again, very sorry to hear this.

Why is it that dogs have such short lifespans when other creatures can live for decades? It's just not fair.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-27-2011 at 12:13 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sorry to hear that. It hurts to lose a friend and pets can be one of your most loyal friends... basically another member of your family.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry for your less.

Brings back bad memories. We got Abby, a basset/beagle mix, before I started 1st grade. I had to carry her out to the middle of the minivan (her back legs were pretty much failing) in early 2005, my third year in college, to take her to her final trip to the vet. I just sat with her and kept feeding her a single froot loop at a time to snack on during the ride and then right up until the vet's shot put her out forever.... That memory still kills me..... I'm fighting back tears right now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I'm sorry for your less.

Brings back bad memories. We got Abby, a basset/beagle mix, before I started 1st grade. I had to carry her out to the middle of the minivan (her back legs were pretty much failing) in early 2005, my third year in college, to take her to her final trip to the vet. I just sat with her and kept feeding her a single froot loop at a time to snack on during the ride and then right up until the vet's shot put her out forever.... That memory still kills me..... I'm fighting back tears right now.

Just reading that about made me tear up - can't imagine how painful that must have been for you. When you have an extremely old dog like I do, these sort of discussions really bum you out. I almost didn't watch "Marley and Me" for that reason.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Just reading that about made me tear up - can't imagine how painful that must have been for you. When you have an extremely old dog like I do, these sort of discussions really bum you out. I almost didn't watch "Marley and Me" for that reason.
    Ya my dog is young but just cant take things for granted when you have a good dog gotta cherish all the good times with your best friend because life is short.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. The only thing worse is not being around to comfort the dog and be there during the painful but humane process. I was away at college when our family pet died, and the task fell to my parents and siblings. I still relive the painful call I received at school with the bad news.

I know there is no replacing a cherised pet, but I hope that when the time comes and you are ready, you will consider adopting a rescue dog. I have one now, a real junk yard dog. She needed us as much as we needed her and often rekindles the fond memory of the friend that I lost many years ago.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. The only thing worse is not being around to comfort the dog and be there during the painful but humane process. I was away at college when our family pet died, and the task fell to my parents and siblings. I still relive the painful call I received at school with the bad news.

I know there is no replacing a cherised pet, but I hope that when the time comes and you are ready, you will consider adopting a rescue dog. I have one now, a real junk yard dog. She needed us as much as we needed her and often rekindles the fond memory of the friend that I lost many years ago.
    Ya I have a shelter dog they make the best dogs no doubt in my mind.

the bold part holds very true got mine a day before she was set to be put down due to over crowding. Then she had a infection due to the shelter and all the dogs. Took awhile to get her back to health but she is all you could want in a dog.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sorry man. I lost my dog of 14 years to something similar about 3 months ago. Had to do the whole last-vet-visit thing, too. It still isn't the same around the house.

Agree on the rescue dog thing. Good advice.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just wanted to thank everybody for their concerns and sharing their losses as well.

Jack was so special to me. I was lucky to have owned him, he really was amazing. I still get teared up thinking about him. I have his collar on my key-chain and it gets me every time.

I just remember hugging him the last time and him looking up at me with that "What's wrong" face. I just can't take the feeling that when he knows he's going into the vet, but he just doesn't know that he isn't coming out... I'll miss hearing his collar jingle when he's making his rounds in the house. I'll miss being in the kitchen grabbing some chips or some bag that makes a ripple noise and instantly I hear the plop of him jumping off the bed and coming to raid the kitchen for scraps. I'm gonna miss his scared faces when I'm yelling at the T.V. during Pacers games. I'm gonna miss him scratching the front door when he needs to go out.

He will be missed deeply.
    Last edited by Constellations; 05-27-2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Even though it's been probably 8 or 9 years, when I lost my Shetland Sheepdog, I was an absolute wreck. One of the few times I've literally just sat there and bawled my eyes out (A few other times for loss of close family members). I loved that dog like nothing you could imagine, and he was as much a part of the family as anybody else.

Currently, I've got 2 dogs. We found one in Meijer and took her because they would've sent her to have her put down. She's one of the sweetest dogs that you could imagine.

The other dog we adopted through Sheltie rescue and he's de-barked. Again, one of the sweetest dogs you could imagine.

They're now 9 and 11 years old so time is obviously on the down swing. When that time comes, I'm more than positive I'll once again revert back to being an absolute wreck. I love those two like crazy.

Again, I'm terribly terribly sorry for your loss. It's hard, but just try to remember that they're in a better place and the suffering is over.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Hip Displacia is horrible. My parents had to put down one of their collies because of it. It really hit me because he grew up with me through my teenage years.

I am sorry for your loss. A lot of people do not get how much a loss of a pet can hit someone. Just remember all of the good times you had with Jack.

I have a shi tzu who is only three and is a big spoiled brat. lol

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

I am so sorry for your loss. I know the feeling.

Losing a pet is one of the most difficult things anyone can go through.

Hope all gets better soon.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

I'm gonna make sure to spend alittle more time snuggling with my dog when i get home tonight. For Jack.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Really sorry to hear it, I got teared up just reading your post and some of the others here. My parents' dog, which they had since I was a teenager, is 9 years old now and I know she doesn't have a whole crap ton of years left. The dog basically was always there for me during my crappy teenage years and when she's gone it will suck and I'll be a wreck.

I am a huge animal and especially dog lover, but am somewhat afraid to get a dog just because I know I will be crushed when it is gone. Instead, I am thinking about just donating to rescue organizations. RIP Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    . I almost didn't watch "Marley and Me" for that reason.
    I still won't watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I still won't watch it.
    I have never cried so hard in a movie. I didn't know it was coming...(Well..I figured it was coming about midway through the movie..)

So sorry about your loss. So hard to lose a pet.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    ...just cant take things for granted ....gotta cherish all the good times with your best friend because life is short.
    This is so true, and it applies to other things as well, like aging parents. And life-long people friends, who one day may not be there to receive the phone call that I should be making to them. It's late tonight, but I will be making some calls tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I am a huge animal and especially dog lover, but am somewhat afraid to get a dog just because I know I will be crushed when it is gone.
    I used to think that way when I was younger, but there's that saying "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." I've found it to be true. The passage of time ensures that the many years of great times and happy memories overshadow the pain.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

I lost my little Sheltie and my Calico cat last year. They had been with me for 17 years, since I had been in high school. They were part of my family. It's hard to say good bye to the ones we love. Sorry for your loss man.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm sorry for your loss, and I know how you feel.
    I had a female labrador who was always in good shape. She was 11, but people always thought she's around 6-7 years old because she was always so active and happy. One day she started limping but it didn't look that bad. When we noticed she's in pain (took a few months actually before it actually affected her..) we took her to the vet and he said that it's something related to her bones and it could be fixed with surgery. So we decided we go for it and he said "well, let me run just a test before I do it". Me and my family were thinking she'll be fine now and will be able to walk freely again and all that. Apparently she had cancer and not that "bone thing", and the vet said we should pull the plug immediately... which we did the day after.
    The thing that devastated me isn't the fact she died, but the fact it happened so fast. We were sure that worst case, we'll have a few weeks, maybe months with her. Not a night...
    Anyway... It happened a year ago or so, and you know, life goes on...

41. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'm gonna make sure to spend alittle more time snuggling with my dog when i get home tonight. For Jack.
    I want to thank everyone again for sharing their stories and showing such respect to my best friend. And thank you very much, that meant alot to me.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

Sorry for your loss.

My rabbit, Doug, had to be put down today. (My other one, Pants, died on New Year's Eve.)

R.I.P. Doug

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post: