Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

Default Re: Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Is this driven by the Mav's run?
    Is Larry's relationship w/ Carlisle swaying him towards Casey?

I could definately see happening. Those 2 seem to be closer than peas and carrots.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    One thing though, I don't think they're gonna make a hire that I'm NOT happy with.

That is what most of us thought last time. And then JOB came out of left field.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

I want Vogel to get the job but I feel like hes not getting it. Bird would have hired him already and I think it has to do w/ that spat in the Houston game that was on the court n spilled into the locker room. Granger may like him but I havent heard every single guy come out in support.

Just feel like Bird wants a more veteran coach to command these young guys. Im not really all that excited about Casey but Adelman would be decent. Wish we could get something better than Adelman if Vogel isnt getting the job though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Does Vogel have the pull to get good assistant coaches?
    Probably not. I also don't think the Pacers will want to pay much money for those assistant coaches either.

Now that the Mavs have a break until next Tuesday, Larry can probably set up a meeting with Casey. I hope he actually meets with him and doesn't just have a phone call. Phone Call interviews don't really express the same level of interest that a live face-to-face interview. Even a lunch interview would be better than just logging a phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    As long as your team is a Finals contender.

You don't hear of many assistants from average teams getting head jobs. If a coach is looking for a spring board to a head coaching position he'll pick a contender not Indiana.
    Casey was a finalist for the Hawks job last year, when no one would have considered the Mavs a Finals contender. Monty Williams was hired in New Orleans off of his work as an assistant in Portland. I'm sure there are other examples.

I do agree with your point to an extent though, in that no one would look for head coach material in the staff of a sub .500 team. On the other hand, I'm sure that Bird could sell the Pacers as a team heading towards > .500 though.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Now that the Mavs have a break until next Tuesday, Larry can probably set up a meeting with Casey. I hope he actually meets with him and doesn't just have a phone call. Phone Call interviews don't really express the same level of interest that a live face-to-face interview. Even a lunch interview would be better than just logging a phone call.
    First, Mavs may not giver permission yet because they want everyone to stay focused on the Finals rather than starting to speculate about what Casey is doing after the season.

Second, I want EVERY discussion to at least START with a phone interview. There's no reason to be flying people all over the country for every first contact.

I think people denigrate phone interviews because of JOB, not because of them somehow not being valuable.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I also don't think the Pacers will want to pay much money for those assistant coaches either.

I think you have an excellent point. Makes me wonder if Bird might have been referring to paying for coaches when he commented about Herb willing to spend money.

I wonder if Bird has a problem, uncomfortable, with face to face interviews with coaches? I personally would look upon with distain an over the phone intereview for a job. I want to talk to people face to face and look them in the eye when talking to them.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Vogel will be asked to upgrade his coaching staff if he expects to earn the permanent job.
    Getting quality & experienced assistants will be dificult for a head coach with only a 1 yr gig. This will likely be harder then actually hiring a head coach.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This has been a very good thread with a lot of good points.

I think that Golden State might hire Adelman before the lockout, but other than that I don't really see it hurting our search. Adelman doesn't need the money or the job, so why would he be in a rush though?

As for Vogel, I highly doubt he gets hired elsewhere, so no rush for him.

Casey won't be able to interview until after they are done, which puts them a couple weeks later into someone hiring him. I think even if Casey and Adelman are gone, it won't kill us. I just don;t see what the rush is to pay a coach while there is a lockout. We need to be fiscally responsible until we know there will be a season. I think that is the priority for our team moreso than the coach that gets us to the coach that can make us a contender. If you give an assistant coach a shot to improve the team and prove he deserves the job by getting us a lot further in the playoffs, then you don't need to make a decision, but I just don't see that being the case.

Hasn't Casey already been interviewing with Houston? I think if we want to interview him we will be able to now that they are waiting on a Finals opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    How do you go about building a new coaching staff when you've spent your entire NBA career with O'Brien?

Who do you ask to be on your staff?

It seems like a big challenge. I'd love to know who'd work for Vogel.
    In all likelihood I doubt Vogel would have much say in the assistant coaching hires. He might have veto power to a point but I bet his list of options would be handed to him.

I realize that is not true with most HC's but I bet TPTB aren't ready to take the training wheels off for Vogel. If they were he'd already be head coach.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    That is what most of us thought last time. And then JOB came out of left field.
    We did? Who besides SVG did we expect we might get? Sam Mitchell and...?

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think people denigrate phone interviews because of JOB, not because of them somehow not being valuable.
    Agreed.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    We did? Who besides SVG did we expect we might get? Sam Mitchell and...?

Wasn't Byron Scott/Iavaroni on the list as well? All I know is that JOB was not on the radar until the phone interview. Maybe I am wrong. I will sift through the threads back then.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 05-26-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Probably not. I also don't think the Pacers will want to pay much money for those assistant coaches either.
    How can this be possible, when Larry came out and said the only way he'd be back is if Simon's were willing to pay for them to take the next step? (paraphrasing)

We talked about it here, about how people thought he shouldn't have said it publically.

Mood

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Great find, Buck criticizing Obie is just icing on the cake . There is a mention of Adleman running the Princeton offense, interesting, if true.

Here is the thread where JOB was hired

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31403

I posted this only to show who the other candidates were. Perhaps the leading candidate was Boylan. Shaw also was mentioned as a possibility.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-26-2011 at 01:34 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-26-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Banned

UB was in love with JOB since the first day

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    UB was in love with JOB since the first day

That wasn't me that was the other UB.

Here is what the other UB said immediately after the annoucement. I stand by that actually. Still think he's a quality coach who did well in his first two years here. Stayed 1 year too long though. I also mentioned at the time that I didn't like how many threes his teams shoot. Wish Dick was 10 years younger

I'm actually pretty happy it is Jim O'Brien. He really, really focuses on defense. I wonder if Dick Harter is coming with him.

I consider this good news. His name wasn't even rumored though was it.

He's a very quality coach.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-26-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Last time around, as I remember, we were grasping at straws. We didn't know much of anything besides SVG had given us the FU.

In retrospect, I don't think the whole phone interview thing mattered. What mattered was Jimmy told Larry exactly what he wanted to hear. Discipline, hard work, all the buzz words that were part of that first marketing campaign, not to mention Jimmy acknowledging we were gonna lose before we won.

Hopefully Larry has gained some wisdom since then and digs deeper. He said at the time he was all-in on Jimmy's style, but then he continuously acquired players that didn't fit. In the long term, the only way a coach will be successful is if he and TPTB are on the same page.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    I'm not sure how Walsh is related to that post?
    Walsh was the former GM of the Indiana Pacers.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Vogel will be asked to upgrade his coaching staff if he expects to earn the permanent job.
    To me, I would think that Vogel very much wants to hire his own staff, and this is just Bird giving him an excuse to fire all of JOB's hires.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    To me, I would think that Vogel very much wants to hire his own staff, and this is just Bird giving him an excuse to fire all of JOB's hires.
    Why would he need an excuse? All he would need is for Bird NOT to tell him he has to keep them.

And one would think perhaps, maybe, no guarantees here because we all know that JOB was the stupidest and most evil human being to ever coach a basketball team, that some of those assistants were good? I mean, we're of a general consensus that at least one guy who spent his entire career with O'Brien did pretty well.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh